Alabama 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matthew D
Yuna

Re: Alabama 08-09

Post by Matthew D »

Josh,
not trying to sharp shoot you but the CCA tournament is an IS set 79 from what is listed on the NAQT site.. and I totally understand about the trip length thing because that seems to be the thing that keeps us close to home most of the time
Also if you do decide to host a spring tournament, please put us on the list.
Sorry about not getting back to you about reading and having Susan do it, I about cut my finger off and the bandage won't let me type but things are better now....
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I know Gozaga is running a housewrite on febuary 7th. Prehaps you could mirror that or Prison Bowl(Feb. 14)?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Yes, a Prison Bowl mirror in the South would be great.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

Eh, our coach has decided it would be too much of a hassle to host a tournament. Most likely, the tournament won't be held, unless she somehow changes her mind about it. Furthermore, our school still not has granted us permission to host, and thus, assuming we jump through the first hoop, we have another to jump through.

I would really like to see another high quality tournament this spring (and so close to home too!), and we'll definitely attend any spring event you host.

We'll be there for the CCA tournament - chances to play a high quality set (yes..it is IS...but here it's high quality) are very rare in this state.
Alvin Shi
Alabama School of Fine Arts 2005-2009
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

I was mistaken, we are going to LAMP instead of CCA
Alvin Shi
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Some brief LAMP Invitational results:

Varsity: Semi: ISS vs Hoover, Vestavia Hills vs ASFA
Finals: ISS vs Vestavia Hills
Champion: ISS

JV: Finals: Oak Mountain vs Vestavia Hills
Champion: Vestavia Hills

Thanks everyone for coming.

Personal Note: I thought ASFA's losing on a bad "Cell Membrane" tiebreaker was kinda unfair.
David Zhai
University of Pennsylvania '11
LAMP High School '07
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

For what it's worth here's some results from the Small Schools/JV Tournament at Snead today:

Small Schools:
1st - Brindlee Mountain (7-0)
2nd - Sand Rock (5-2)

JV:
1st - Arab (6-0)
2nd - Brindlee Mountain (5-1)
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Mark wrote:For what it's worth here's some results from the Small Schools/JV Tournament at Snead today:

Small Schools:
1st - Brindlee Mountain (7-0)
2nd - Sand Rock (5-2)

JV:
1st - Arab (6-0)
2nd - Brindlee Mountain (5-1)

Was a good tourney. I also learned where Ranburne was. Now all that is left is for us to take care of bidness at sectionals Mark!!
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Alabama NAQT State...?

Apparently it is at UA on March 28. Has there been an official announcement?

Also, Hoover will win.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

quizbowllee wrote:Also, Hoover will win.
I concur
Alvin Shi
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

quizbowllee wrote:Apparently it is at UA on March 28. Has there been an official announcement?
I don't think we have, but I'll talk to the president and see what's going on. Believe me, there will not be a repeat of last year.

Also, I think ASFA could make a run for it. Alvin plays a lot better when he's under pressure, but it seems like he has to make too many mistakes to get in that mindset. Hume Fogg only beat them by a 5 (after a tie-breaker), and Hoover will definitely capitalize on those mistakes better than Hume Fogg did. If Alvin can play like that without making those crucial mistakes, it could be interesting.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I got the official word last night that UA did have the bid because I was asking who had it because nothing had been printed or done about it.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Nick15
Lulu

Post by Nick15 »

Districts are coming up this month. Any thoughts?
Nick Frederick
Russellville High School Quiz bowl team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

AndyShootsAndyScores wrote: I don't think we have, but I'll talk to the president and see what's going on. Believe me, there will not be a repeat of last year.
Please make sure that this isn't a disaster. Alabama quiz bowl can't afford to have NAQT - the only viable alternative to ASCA - to be another huge debacle like last year.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Nick15 wrote:Districts are coming up this month. Any thoughts?
Some districts (Huntsville and Birmingham areas) will be brutal. Some will be cake-walks. As always.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:
Nick15 wrote:Districts are coming up this month. Any thoughts?
Some districts (Huntsville and Birmingham areas) will be brutal. All the rest will be cake-walks. As always.
Fixed.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I just love the fact that those two districts have the most active teams playing and we all get slammed together into those two districts...
Last edited by Matthew D on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
at your pleasure
Auron

I just love the fact that those two districts have the most active bunches playing and we all get slammed together into those two districts...
What do you expect to happen when people have such poor understanding of geography?
Please make sure that this isn't a disaster. Alabama quiz bowl can't afford to have NAQT - the only viable alternative to ASCA - to be another huge debacle like last year.
Why is NAQT the only alternative? I would imagine schools that want to run their tournaments with good question could use HSPAQ sets or mirror something. Unless you're talking about NAQT as the only viable alternative state championship, in which case you are probably right.
EDIT: added first quote to clarify. Also, when I say "people have such a poor understanding of geography", I was referring to the national average.
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah Doug, I think he's pretty clearly talking about NAQT State.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:Alabama NAQT State...?

Apparently it is at UA on March 28. Has there been an official announcement?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7219
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

District Results???

All I can give you is the results from our pool at the Snead District:

1st Place - Hazel Green (surprise of the year?)
2nd - Brindlee Mountain
3rd - Bob Jones

Randolph had by far the highest ppg, but lost 3 matches. They beat us, but lost to Hazel Green, Bob Jones, and Albertville...

The other pool had Buckhorn, Grissom, and CCA. I THINK those are the three that made it, but I'm not sure.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:Randolph had by far the highest ppg, but lost 3 matches. They beat us, but lost to Hazel Green, Bob Jones, and Albertville...
?!
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

Districts at Jeff State

For my pool (aka the circle of death) the teams that qualified were:
1) Hoover
2) ISS
3) ASFA

I was again reminded of how bad ASCA questions were :sad: . Apparently the push to make ASCA questions more pyramidal isn't showing promising results.
There was also a profound lack of fine arts questions. IIRC, there were 3 art and 5-6 music questions in 5 rounds that I heard.

BTW, anyone in the state wanna play with me for ACF regionals at MSU this Saturday? I rather play with people I know rather than the random team the MSU people will assign me to. Just email me at [email protected] if you're interested.
Alvin Shi
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
Nick15
Lulu

Post by Nick15 »

At Northwest Shoals the results were:

1. Russellville
2. Brooks (I believe)
3. Lexington

Only seven teams showed up. We had a pool of three and a pool of four. The pool of three played two matches each and the pool of four played three matches each.
Nick Frederick
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Having seen the competition at NWSCC, and seeing one of our three "representatives" the next day, I safely say that Russellville should be given a bye to regional for at least the next infinity years. The Shoals Area wasn't this bad when I was in school, and God only knows it wasn't a quizbowl powerhouse back then.

Russellville was in the pool of 3. The finals: 360-95 over Florence and 350-85 over Waterloo. Hell, RHS outscored the next highest scoring team there (Lexington) by 125 points in one LESS match.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
at your pleasure
Auron

I dunno- just because the other teams were heavily outscored does not necessarily make them bad teams(I am talking about Lexington and Brooks). Anyhow, two games is not enought to judge the health of a circuit-even around DC, most of the prelim games for a top-of-the-bracket team are beatdowns.
Also, there is, you know, the issue of results being skewed by bad questions.

Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Trust me Brooks is not that good... on Saturday at the tournament Slade was reading at and my team was playing in, I don't think they won a game.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Matthew D wrote:Trust me Brooks is not that good... on Saturday at the tournament Slade was reading at and my team was playing in, I don't think they won a game.
Brooks is not good at all. I don't want to belittle their kids, but I read for them twice and they got absolutely murdered. And it wasn't like they were playing powerhouses.

Florence might have been better, then again I saw them miss a question that ended with "Name this Amendment, the last one added to the Constitution, in 1993."

The Shoals Area needs to get better, and soon. It's embarrassing right now.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Why was the Shoals district split like that? There are 8 available district games, so a single pool of 7 would be the obvious way to do this. ASCA is so freakin' weird...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Nick15
Lulu

Post by Nick15 »

quizbowllee wrote:Why was the Shoals district split like that? There are 8 available district games, so a single pool of 7 would be the obvious way to do this. ASCA is so freakin' weird...
That's what I said... it was, putting this lightly, retarded. Making one pool seemed like the only logical thing to do in my eyes...
Nick Frederick
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Apparently there was more than one site that had only enough teams for one "normal" sized pool of 7 or 8... we had to sit through a conversation about the other South Alabama site at the beginning of one of our rounds at Snead..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Nick15 wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:Why was the Shoals district split like that? There are 8 available district games, so a single pool of 7 would be the obvious way to do this. ASCA is so freakin' weird...
That's what I said... it was, putting this lightly, retarded. Making one pool seemed like the only logical thing to do in my eyes...
I woulda paid good money to see you guys face Brooks, Lexington, Sheffield, and Hamilton as well. 455-70* wouldn't have been terribly out of reach.

*-This is something of an in-joke among the RHS Scholars Bowl team...it was the final of a 2001 District Match against Muscle Shoals, which featured the infamous "GET YOU SOME YUKON!!!!!!" after they got their ONE tossup of the match.

ETA: Considering only 3 teams advanced, I figure Florence and Brooks would be going instead of Lexington. Knowing the Tuscaloosa bracket, we're probably looking at RHS, Holy Spirit, Northridge, and Winfield (if the pools are drawn in some decent way) getting out.

ETA II: This is assuming that Winfield used their Small Schools tourney win to get to regionals, I know they weren't at PC or Jasper. BTW, anybody have any idea who is going to T-Town?
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Anybody know how ASCA Middle School State ended up today? Or, for that matter, the Bob Jones Tourney
Nick15
Lulu

Post by Nick15 »

Slade, I can tell you Russellville didn't even make the playoffs in Middle School State... and we brought home second at Bob Jones... CCA beat us in the finals... John and Robbie were on the all-tournament team though... a rare thing for Russellville...
Nick Frederick
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Nick15 wrote:Slade, I can tell you Russellville didn't even make the playoffs in Middle School State... and we brought home second at Bob Jones... CCA beat us in the finals... John and Robbie were on the all-tournament team though... a rare thing for Russellville...
CCA's always been solid.

Disappointed in the middle school results, but heck, it happens.

ETA: IIRC, Adam and Chris Pace actually made some all-tourney teams in the past together. Of course, that was eight years ago...
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Middle School State Results, for those interested:

1. Holy Spirit
2. Challenger Middle
3. Arab
4. Pizitz Middle

Final 8 finishers included Cullman, St. Bernard, Randolph, and Christ the King. Some of these teams looked very talented, and bode well for future Alabama competition.

Edited to remove flu-based brain freeze.
Last edited by Joshua Rutsky on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

And Russellville was not one of them. Doggone it.

BTW, regionals should be fun this year. I am sorta glad Florence got to go, although to be quite honest, I'm not so sure the Shoals Area really warrants 2 teams, much less 4 (although, to be quite frank, I'll be kinda surprised if a certain team shows).

My predictions for Tuscaloosa, assuming the draws aren't just terrible:

Russellville
Northridge
Holy Spirit
Winfield
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

I was 3 for 4 at Tuscaloosa...

Pool A:
Hillcrest (4-0)
Winfield(3-1)

Pool B:
Russellville (4-0)
Northridge (3-1)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Our region:

State Qualifiers:

Austin
Grissom
Buckhorn
Covenant Christian
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Central Region:

Vestavia Hills
ASFA
Spain Park
Hoover
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Wow, someone is very much conspicuous with their absence.

What happened to Springs?
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Golden Tiger 86 wrote:Wow, someone is very much conspicuous with their absence.

What happened to Springs?
They lost to Hoover and Briarwood and I think they lost to Vestavia as well. Vestavia was quite good.
Owen Cooper
Alabama '11

Out of business.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Hmmm it appears state will be very interesting this year, especially with the absence of ISS and Brindlee Mtn.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Apparently Vestavia's gotten good, Hoover and ASFA are loaded, Spain Park really laid the hammer down at the Hoover Tourney earlier in the year, Grissom's Grissom, and my beloved alma mater has everybody back from last year's 4th place team. This is Russellville's best shot at a title since I was in school, but there's a LOT of competition there.

Team that could be sneaky dangerous: Northridge. In the right pool, they could do damage. They weren't terrible at regionals, and blitzed everyone save Russellville.

I think LAMP will struggle some, but they're LAMP. You can't count them out.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Brief results from the Snead tourney today:
1st- Russellville
2nd- Brindlee Mountain

Other semi-finalists: Arab and Buckhorn

The final match between R'Ville and BMHS was quite an exciting one.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Nice win for our guys. Beating Brindlee is not an easy task at all, and especially on NAQT questions.

Tomorrow should be interesting, although Hoover HAS to be the heavy favorites.
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

I am still trying to figure out how Sardis won a pool at Snead's Tourney. I didn't even know they had a team.
Owen Cooper
Alabama '11

Out of business.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

The guy from Cold Springs getting MVP was quite unexpected as well. I didn't know they had a team either.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

NAQT State Results:

1st - Hoover
2nd - ISS
3rd - Brindlee Mountain
4th - Russellville