Alabama 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Re: Alabama 08-09

Post by quizbowllee »

Yeah:

1st - Hoover
2nd - Indian Springs
3rd - Russellville
4th - Brindlee Mountain
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Please see the following concerning my impressions of the NAQT Tournament:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7219
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

ASCA 2009 State Tourney Results from today:

1st - ASFA
2nd - Hoover
3rd - Spain Park
4th - Covenant Christian

Congratulations to ASFA on an excellent final match.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

Thanks Mr. Rutsky, it was a REALLY close match. The game wasn't decided until the 2nd to last tossup. Given another set of questions, I'm sure the result would have been quiet different.
Alvin Shi
Alabama School of Fine Arts 2005-2009
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

azngod1992 wrote:Thanks Mr. Rutsky, it was a REALLY close match. The game wasn't decided until the 2nd to last tossup. Given another set of questions, I'm sure the result would have been quiet different.
Congrats on A: the state title and B: the state MVP award.

I hate that Russellville got keelhauled against Spain Park in the quarters, but I am extremely impressed you guys beat them and Hoover back-to-back.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
Sara
Kimahri

Post by Sara »

Cooper98 wrote:
Golden Tiger 86 wrote:Wow, someone is very much conspicuous with their absence.

What happened to Springs?
They lost to Hoover and Briarwood and I think they lost to Vestavia as well. Vestavia was quite good.
All of the teams were good, and it was midway through our Spring Break. Zach was the only starter in town, and two of the people who came aren't actually on the team.
ISS '09
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Alabama Teams Going To Nationals:

Hoover
Brindlee Mountain
DAR
Covenant Christian
Sand Rock

Thoughts?

I think that Hoover has a good chance of placing higher than any Alabama team ever has in the HSNCT. I think that tied for 21st is the best so far. Hoover could definitely do that, especially considering their incredible KMO score!

We at Brindlee Mountain are preparing very hard for the HSNCT. I am hoping to at least get in the top 3 Small Schools. DAR has done an amazing job this year and has improved an incredible amount from the beginning of the year. I think they have a really strong shot at the Small Schools playoffs.

Covenant Christian isn't as strong as they have been in the past, but they are still a very solid team and should make the playoffs.

Sand Rock... I just hope that they don't leave the tournament early like they did last time they attended. They should be able to win at least 3 or 4 matches.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I know we are preparing extremely hard for the tournament also. I am sure the BMHS should do well and should finish high in small schools. CCA they have looked good at times but I am not sure they are as strong in year past. Hoover is a great team and I see them finishing high also... Josh has done some great things with his teams in the last few years.
On a side note, I am just happy that my team has come along so well this year. I think with a bit of luck, we should make the playoffs and hopefully finish well.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

quizbowllee wrote:Alabama Teams Going To Nationals:

Hoover
Brindlee Mountain
DAR
Covenant Christian
Sand Rock

Thoughts?

I think that Hoover has a good chance of placing higher than any Alabama team ever has in the HSNCT. I think that tied for 21st is the best so far. Hoover could definitely do that, especially considering their incredible KMO score!

We at Brindlee Mountain are preparing very hard for the HSNCT. I am hoping to at least get in the top 3 Small Schools. DAR has done an amazing job this year and has improved an incredible amount from the beginning of the year. I think they have a really strong shot at the Small Schools playoffs.

Covenant Christian isn't as strong as they have been in the past, but they are still a very solid team and should make the playoffs.

Sand Rock... I just hope that they don't leave the tournament early like they did last time they attended. They should be able to win at least 3 or 4 matches.
I know we finished t-19 in 2003 and 2004, but there weren't nearly as many teams there as there are now.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Golden Tiger 86 wrote: I know we finished t-19 in 2003 and 2004, but there weren't nearly as many teams there as there are now.
I stand corrected.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

Best of luck to all Alabama teams going to HSNCT this year.

I certainly hope Hoover (or some other AL team) makes it into the top 10 or top bracket (I'm really clueless as to how HSNCT playoffs/brackets work). I have personally witnessed Hoover's pwnage at NAQT questions, and I really think they can hang with the top teams in the country.

I really regret that ASFA can't join all of you at HSNCT this year - mainly due to laziness on my part - but we will (hopefully) do our best at Panasonic (or whatever it's called now) this summer.

Since the season is pretty much over, I think it's time for some personal reflections upon this past year.

This year has been a wonderful experience for me. I have made friends with coaches and players alike, and I certainly hope I'll meet all of you some time on the college or the open circuit. I think the past 4 years have been very competitive years, and this certainly provided motivation for me to become a better player. I have also discovered the wonders of good quiz bowl, even taking it to the next level at ACF Winter, Regionals, and Moonpie classic, and I would similarly other high school students to cross the border (or stay in AL :grin: )to attend college level events and be exposed to what happens at the next level.

As for the community, I have personally observed the growth of good quizbowl in Alabama, and certainly hope it continues in the future. Although my personal efforts failed (hosting an ASFA tournament), I am 100% behind any initiative that will further good quizbowl in AL. On that note, I'll gladly offer my moderating/pseudo-editing/writing abilities to any AL team that desires them for any future tournament.

As for the future, I think this state has a bright future with coaches like Mr. Dennis, Mr. Rutsky, Mr. Lee, and other coaches who are promoting good quizbowl, and there is certainly no lack of talent in the state.Although I do not advocate the "destruction" of ASCA, I would like to see a move towards more pyramidal questions in the state structure, and I think that would play a critical role in legitimizing good quizbowl here in this state. Although state funding for various quizbowl funds have fallen recently, I believe that quizbowl in AL has a strong financial footing and may even receive money from government aid programs. As for my school, I think ASFA will have a stable quizbowl program for years to come, and will hopefully translate the JV team's talent into Varsity wins in two or three years. On a more personal note, I'll hopefully play in the college circuit actively and moderate/write on the high school one.

Most importantly, I have gained knowledge and an insatiable curiosity from playing this game over the past 4 years, and I would like to thank all the players and coaches (not just from my school) for providing such a wonderful opportunity.
Alvin Shi
Alabama School of Fine Arts 2005-2009
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???