Alabama 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Re: Alabama 08-09

Post by ClemsonQB »

Douglas the Future of Hoboing wrote:List of teams attending W. R. King Tournament:

Chattahoochee
I am by no means authority on this issue, but I believe Chattahoochee is having transportation problems due to Roundtree attending UGA's first football game. (Waiting for this to be nullified by Mr. Roundtree or some CHS player)

P.S. Looking forward to the Clemson-Alabama game on the same date as this tournament.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I would like to also invite all of those teams to DAR's 1st ever tournament on Jan 24th of 2009. While it the first to be held on the campus at DAR it is not my first time to host. We should be having IS-83 and it would be great to have some high caliber teams to attend...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

My best guess for their reasoning is that it's hard to organize the team right now, with half of the team playing football/in the band. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that would make sense.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain Rebuilding Year Update:

We've been practicing two days a week at 6:15 am and two days a week after school.

Oddly, the morning practices are much more productive. We don't do nearly as well in the afternoon. I don't know if this is a "practice phenomenon" or if this will translate into us doing fairly well in in the prelims and choking in the playoffs at tournaments.

We'll see soon, I guess.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Wow.... I don't know about those 6:15 am practices myself... but that's dedication.

I would be more prone to see how they practice later in the evening. Not every tournament starts as early as 6am, but many tournaments could run later than 4pm. :wink: Circadian rhythms do have some meaning. I do tell my premed students that they should be practicing taking their MCAT's in the last two weeks before their test date to correspond to the time the test starts (8am or 2pm).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

First Chairman wrote:Wow.... I don't know about those 6:15 am practices myself... but that's dedication.
No one is less of a morning person than I am... But, I had to figure out a way to maximize time with my family in the evenings without sacrificing practice time. Also, the morning practices don't conflict with the students' work/sports schedules.

Surprisingly, no one has missed a morning practice yet.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Understood and makes sense. As long as all the kids show up that early for a road trip to a tournament.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

We have one practice starting at 6:30 till the first bell rings ~7:30 then I have another from 3 till 4:15 or so... I have to agree seems like that we are more productive in the morning also but it could be that I have two different groups...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

I could be wrong, but I may have an answer as to why the kids are doing better in the morning. If they're making the effort to get up an hour earlier to come to practice, then they're going to put more effort into the practice, since an hour out of your sleep schedule is far more important than an hour out of your after-school time (or, at least to me it is).

Again, I could be wrong, but it does make a little bit of sense.

[/$0.02]

Also, Austin and Alpharetta, GA are now on the list of teams at the WRK tournament; however, it looks like Chattahoochee probably won't be there.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

WRK UPDATE: Russellville and American Christian Academy have signed up to attend. Chattahoochee is officially not coming.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

I know its not pertinent to Quiz Bowl at all, but I got a job at the new BAM thats opening up in Gadsden. You bama folk should come visit me!!
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain rebuilding update:

I'm starting to get a pretty good idea of my starting "A team." Three positions are pretty much filled:

Riley - Has some experience playing with the A team last year. He's been in high-pressure positions, though he's never been under much stress to perform miraculously in them, seeing as he was the 4th wheel on a team with three great players. He seems a little more dedicated this year and is working to fill in all the gaps left from our departing class of '08.

Kyle - Is probably the most naturally-gifted player on the team. However, his work ethic and enthusiasm don't quite match his natural ability. I'm looking forward to seeing him finally step up and be the kind of player I've always known he could be. I just hope he doesn't let me down.

Tiffany - Probably the hardest-working player on the team this year, and it's starting to show. She's getting a lot of questions in practice that I know she has learned through studying and trying hard to earn a spot on the A team.

I'm still up in the air on the 4th position... Travis, Kaleb, Jesse, and Tricia are all under heavy consideration. Travis is the most likely to earn the spot, based on his knowledge of military history. However, Kaleb has a strong interest in science that could translate into Brindlee Mountain finally having a real science player. However, he will have to really step up and dedicate some hours to working on his own. Jesse seems to be trying hard and might earn the spot due to pure determination. Tricia is probably the player with the most experience and she definitely has the pedigree (being Andy Knowles's sister), but she hasn't quite got the under-pressure playing down yet.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

If I had to pick someone for the fourth spot based on what I saw last week, I'd pick Jesse or Travis. That whole "Andy's here so let's play badly" thing may have affected the others, but I'd just consider that an example of a high-pressure situation.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Does anyone know how up to date the ASCA site is concerning tournaments. I am trying to plan schedules but I don't know when Buckhorn, Brindlee Mountain, and a few others are hold their tournaments. Also, I might be holding a tournament earlier than the one in Jan if I can find a date that is open
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

The ASCA site usually isn't a reliable source of information.

I haven't set a date for ours yet, but I would imagine we will try for the first weekend in December as usual.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

On both accounts that was what I was thinking...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Reading these posts have made me nostalgic, and thus I will throw in my two cents worth on the state of LAMP. From what my coach told me, LAMP didnt fare too well at the ASCA Fun Tournament this past week. With the attendance of Andrew Conner, the main point-getter who was absent last week, LAMP will hopefully make a better showing at Tuscaloosa. All in all I think LAMP will again be rebuilding this year. We will definitely be competitive. Tournament-winning, however, depends on whether the team and Andrew will be able to pull it together and improve.
David Zhai
University of Pennsylvania '11
LAMP High School '07
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

DZ_LAMP wrote:Reading these posts have made me nostalgic, and thus I will throw in my two cents worth on the state of LAMP. From what my coach told me, LAMP didnt fare too well at the ASCA Fun Tournament this past week. With the attendance of Andrew Conner, the main point-getter who was absent last week, LAMP will hopefully make a better showing at Tuscaloosa. All in all I think LAMP will again be rebuilding this year. We will definitely be competitive. Tournament-winning, however, depends on whether the team and Andrew will be able to pull it together and improve.
Is Andrew the guy from the B/JV team that was on D2 top scoring lists?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

A-Team for Brindlee Mountain tomorrow:

Riley Denton (11) - Captain
Kyle Clark (11)
Tiffany Rainwater (11)
Travis Morgan (11)
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:A-Team for Brindlee Mountain tomorrow:

Riley Denton (11) - Captain
Kyle Clark (11)
Tiffany Rainwater (11)
Travis Morgan (11)
Not bad choices. Riley's really got to work on his captaining skills, though.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Lee Henry, I want to thank you for producing such great players. Its a good feeling to hear more than just 1 buzzer go off in practice!! Granted we only have 3 people but thats all we'll need :grin:
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Re: a couple of previous posts--

ASCA's tourney listing is updated as soon as people release tourney notices to Sharon D. Sending any dates you hear of to me or to her will help tremendously in this regard, although I try hard to keep up with what I see here on the boards.

I am delighted to see Matt at DAR and bringing yet another program back into this game. Alabama really needs as many programs as they can get that push academic values and sportsmanship, and there can be no reason to think that our state isn't getting itself established as producing strong players.

Results from the Fun Tourney don't exist, as it is a "friendly", but Russellville A unofficially won the A pool (I think they were the only team to go undefeated), edging Hoover A by 30 in a very good match. LAMP did struggle, but they show a lot of potential, and by the end of the year they'll be ready. Buckhorn is pretty good as well, and Vestavia could make noise if they practice. And we've all been around long enough to know that Indian Springs is going to be giving everyone fits, and that Lee's teams will be extremely solid and continue to improve constantly.

This ought to be a good year for Alabama Quizbowl, if any of us can find money to travel outside of the state to compete with gas and bus costs going through the roof.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

We went 5-5 in Tuscaloosa. Despite that, I'm really proud of the team. They grew a lot over the course of the tournament. For example, we played Brookwood B in the first round. They defeated us by 10 points. Two rounds later - due to some crazy scheduling - we played Brookwood B again. This time we won 470-70. A similar thing happened against Alpharetta. They pretty much crushed us the first time we played them. Then, we turned right around and crushed them in the next round. We hung with Dorman B until the very end. We were also able to pretty handily defeat Austin, despite the performance of tournament MVP Patrick Harris (who I really thought had graduated).

At any rate, I saw a lot of potential in the team. There are areas of weakness that we can address in practice. Seeing as the whole A-team consists of 11th graders, I think Brindlee Mountain will be back in prominence soon.

PS - I wanted to give some props to Brindlee Mountain C as well. I brought an 8th grader and a 7th grader along to get some experience. I supplemented this team by adding Taylor Lamm, a senior who quit the team at the end of his 10th grade year. I asked him to come along just to give them a third player and a little experience. I figured this team would lose every round. But, they actually won two rounds AND scored 125 points against Dorman A while holding them below 500 points - a feat that last year's A-team failed to achieve when Dorman A defeated them 580-100 in the same tournament. Hopefully the two middle-schoolers on that team will continue to work hard and grow as players so that they can take up the mantle of the A-team in the coming years.

Next up: UTC on Sept. 27.
Last edited by quizbowllee on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

quizbowllee wrote:PS - I wanted to give some props to Brindlee Mountain C as well. I brought an 8th grader and a 7th grader along to get some experience.
Keeping it hardcore, Lee. I approve.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

metsfan001 wrote: Keeping it hardcore, Lee. I approve.
That's the only way I know to be.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Hey Lee,
Are you thinking about doing Ezell-Harding on 9/20? Also, what time are you leaving to go to UTC?
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Matthew D wrote:Hey Lee,
Are you thinking about doing Ezell-Harding on 9/20? Also, what time are you leaving to go to UTC?
We're not going to Ezell-Harding.

I don't know what time we're leaving for UTC, but we plan to pick you guys up. We always seem to get there early, so I'll let Debby figure it out. I'll get back to you soon.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Lee take a look at the president elect for the ASCA board for the next two years.... you are going to love who it is. We are never going to get anything changed in this state for a while if she is like she has been for the last few years...
http://www.dbtech.net/asca/documents/Co ... 08_007.doc
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

While I don't get the issue with that person, I do have to ask if the president is legally able to vote as a proxy. I have never seen that before in a by-law and it seems pretty nonsensical.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Matthew D wrote:Lee take a look at the president elect for the ASCA board for the next two years.... you are going to love who it is. We are never going to get anything changed in this state for a while if she is like she has been for the last few years...
http://www.dbtech.net/asca/documents/Co ... 08_007.doc
Hasn't she been the president for the past few years (I.E., as long as I've been playing)? Not that she's really helped as far as progress goes, but she is definitely better than several other coaches in Alabama.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Fred, I have asked that question myself but got verbally bitched slapped for asking it... picked the wrong person to ask about it... but it has seemed like in the past that no matter what we have attempted to do to get some change started in ASCA something always seems to happen to make sure that we don't get it done. I have to salute Josh though, he is trying to get something done from what I have seen of him
as for the person, you have to know her and the history she has with Lee and myself... I will be glad to take it off the board if you would like to know the situation but I don't really feel like it is something to be discussed here....

Andy, I didn't write it to mean that she was the president for the last few year but we have had problems out her in the last few years...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Matthew D wrote:Fred, I have asked that question myself but got verbally bitched slapped for asking it... picked the wrong person to ask about it... but it has seemed like in the past that no matter what we have attempted to do to get some change started in ASCA something always seems to happen to make sure that we don't get it done. I have to salute Josh though, he is trying to get something done from what I have seen of him
as for the person, you have to know her and the history she has with Lee and myself... I will be glad to take it off the board if you would like to know the situation but I don't really feel like it is something to be discussed here....

Andy, I didn't write it to mean that she was the president for the last few year but we have had problems out her in the last few years...
To be somewhat fair, the ASCA-run high school tournaments (save the Huntsville City Invitational) have begun to use more pyrimadal questions, especially at the state tournament level.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Matthew D wrote:as for the person, you have to know her and the history she has with Lee and myself... I will be glad to take it off the board if you would like to know the situation but I don't really feel like it is something to be discussed here....
If there's one thing I love, it's quiz bowl drama. Please to be receiving email kay and thx.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I don't really have an issue with her personally. It's just that the ASCA board in general is opposed to change - even for the better. The same handful of people keep electing one another to the higher positions on the board. In addition, they keep the "at-large" membership virtually limited to small schools or schools in South Alabama who generally haven't been exposed to "good" quizbowl. The fact that the ASCA President gets so many proxy votes every year goes a long way in keeping things the way that they are. They consistently cater to the lowest common denominator. We need to embrace truly pyramidal questions that emphasize deep knowledge. But, too many coaches are against doing anything that would require that they or their students take the game more seriously in order to compete.

I can't tell you how many times I've been told that I would be nominated to the Board only to go to the Coach's Conference and find that I have not been. I've been told that I "trash" ASCA too much. Perhaps that is the way that it is perceived, but I actually care a great deal about the organization and I just want to see it grow and catch up with what strong organizations in the rest of the nation are doing.

Here is a list of things that need to change:

1) Questions Galore must go at all levels. The questions are cheap, but they are terrible.
2) Rules need to be changed in regards to acceptable answers, eliminating hoses, and recognizing students. It's ridiculous that we still have to wait for a student's name to be called before the student can answer.
3) Quit sending the ASCA Champs to Panasonic. Send them to a real National Tournament - PACE or NAQT.
4) Move towards pyramidality across the board. Using one-line Questions Galore junk in middle school and JV and then moving to Jim Garrick's semi-pyramidal questions in Varsity is insane.
5) Loosen up. Last year, one of the readers at State - and an ASCA Board Member - demanded that one of my players remove his baseball cap before she would read the round. Quiz Bowl isn't Church. Some teams wear suits and ties - which is fine. Some dress casually - which is also fine. Some tournaments give away prizes for the most clever t-shirts - which is awesome.

Anyway, if these things were addressed and changed, ASCA would be in much better shape to produce teams that can compete consistently at a national level.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Matt... the document you linked to doesn't have the President-Elect... But, I found a document that does:

http://dbtech.net/asca/documents/Agenda2008_001.doc

Now I understand your previous post...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:Matt... the document you linked to doesn't have the President-Elect... But, I found a document that does:

http://dbtech.net/asca/documents/Agenda2008_001.doc

Now I understand your previous post...
As do I. Damn.

It also seems they're changing the "buzz-in after math tossup" rule, too.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

sorry about the messup link...
anyway, that was what I was trying to point out
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Hoover's tournament will be interesting. HSAPQ questions should be great. Furthermore, the best team in Alabama - Hoover themseleves - will theoretically be taken out of the mix. This might be a tournament in which Brindlee Mountain 2.0 has a shot of doing well. We'll see, I guess.

BTW - Who is back from Indian Springs? Zack graduated, didn't he?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

I think everyone from last year's ISS team is returning this year, but don't take my word for it
Alvin Shi
Alabama School of Fine Arts 2005-2009
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

It really seems that Hoover and Indian Springs are likely the best in Alabama this year. ISS apparently did return everyone from last year, though I really thought that Zack was playing back in 2004-2005.

We at Brindlee Mountain are making slow but steady progress, but likely won't be too much of a threat against Hoover or ISS anytime soon.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

While I was not totally happy with how well we did, I wasn't totally unhappy with it either. For a young team with only 2 members with any experience I thought we did do okay.. but I do see a brighter future due to the fact that the beating we got this weekend has managed to spark a bit more enthusiastic response when I have asked them to do something..
Our A team played against ISS and I thought they are a good team but I am not sure if they are on the same level as Hoover is this year.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Ok, so as an ASCA board member who has a strong personal interest in seeing things change a bit in Alabama and has been working toward that for the last couple of years, I feel like I need to address a couple of points in this thread.
It's just that the ASCA board in general is opposed to change - even for the better. The same handful of people keep electing one another to the higher positions on the board. In addition, they keep the "at-large" membership virtually limited to small schools or schools in South Alabama who generally haven't been exposed to "good" quizbowl.
First, I don't agree with this contention at all. I don't think the board is opposed to change, for better or for worse. My experience with them is that they are very cautious about making changes that would affect the entire state without actually running those changes past the general membership. When I've brought suggestions to the board, they have been received cordially. If the board is hesitant to make major changes, I believe it is because the board is trying hard to keep quiz bowl accessible to the bulk of the state, and that this is extremely difficult given the enormous disparity that exists between programs. Let me be clear--I do not agree with the idea that we should continue using low-level question providers like Questions Galore just to make the questions "accessible". Indeed, I have been fighting hard for this to make sure QG is gone next year, but we are contractually obligated to a three year bid that ends this year. Still, to say that the board is not willing to make changes is, I think, to take a limited view of what the board is meant to do.

As far as membership on the board goes, I can tell you that Matt was asked to help with the selection process for this year's new appointments, and that I proposed Matt D. for one of the high school openings, but it is impossible to have a board for the state of Alabama where all the board is from central and north AL and think that's a fair representation. There ARE schools south of Birmingham, and we want them involved in the state organization. I sent multiple requests to coaches asking them to serve, and called several to ask them personally, but had little luck in South Alabama. We feel it is our obligation to try, however. Note also that of the last five board members who have rotated on, all five are new to ASCA's board, so we are making an effort to bring in new blood. I don't think it's terribly surprising that the president elect is someone who has served in a different position in the past--you don't generally bring someone in to run a state organization with no experience. Except, maybe, in national politics.
The fact that the ASCA President gets so many proxy votes every year goes a long way in keeping things the way that they are. They consistently cater to the lowest common denominator. We need to embrace truly pyramidal questions that emphasize deep knowledge. But, too many coaches are against doing anything that would require that they or their students take the game more seriously in order to compete.
In this we are in agreement, at least to some extent. I have been pushing for pyramidal questions and to get rid of the QG garbage for the last two years, and we are making progress in this regard. Again, we have been limited by a multi-year bid in terms of changing providers, but I am hoping that this year's HIT will be an opportunity to showcase HSAPQ's quality and to show that we CAN make a change to pyramidal questions without making tourneys run all night. As to the question of proxies or coaches opposing a particular style, I frankly think there's more of an issue with apathy than with a desire to keep out any given format or style. I am working on a proposal I have mentioned previously in board meetings that would create a Div. 1/Div. 2 classification system for AL that might help with the problem, but that's still got a lot to work out. Regardless, I think that the questions we have at the state tourney are strong questions, if a little heavy on speed checks, at the varsity level, and we are trying to build on that.
I can't tell you how many times I've been told that I would be nominated to the Board only to go to the Coach's Conference and find that I have not been. I've been told that I "trash" ASCA too much. Perhaps that is the way that it is perceived, but I actually care a great deal about the organization and I just want to see it grow and catch up with what strong organizations in the rest of the nation are doing.
I have no doubt you care about the quality of quiz bowl in Alabama, Lee. I don't think you doubt I do as well. I would like to see you on the ASCA board along with Matt at some point, and will continue to push to get at least one of you on in the next year. The main obstacle this year was that the space I proposed Matt for was allocated to have a south AL representative on the board. I'll commit to this publicly, however--I will rotate off as Secretary of the Board (i think) at the end of next year, and if one of the two of you are not appointed to the board for next year, I'll resign and nominate one of you in my place. Everyone's voices need to be heard if ASCA is to become a strong, unified organization.

Here is a list of things that need to change:
1) Questions Galore must go at all levels. The questions are cheap, but they are terrible.
2) Rules need to be changed in regards to acceptable answers, eliminating hoses, and recognizing students. It's ridiculous that we still have to wait for a student's name to be called before the student can answer.
3) Quit sending the ASCA Champs to Panasonic. Send them to a real National Tournament - PACE or NAQT.
4) Move towards pyramidality across the board. Using one-line Questions Galore junk in middle school and JV and then moving to Jim Garrick's semi-pyramidal questions in Varsity is insane.
5) Loosen up. Last year, one of the readers at State - and an ASCA Board Member - demanded that one of my players remove his baseball cap before she would read the round. Quiz Bowl isn't Church. Some teams wear suits and ties - which is fine. Some dress casually - which is also fine. Some tournaments give away prizes for the most clever t-shirts - which is awesome.
1) Agreed, and this will happen this year if I have anything to say about it.
2) Propose the changes that need to be made! That's what the votes are for at the conference. What in particular do you want changed? That recognition by pointing is acceptable? I don't think that's a problem. Eliminating hoses is a tournament-by-tournament, question-by-question issue, and it should be addressed by each tourney working hard to check questions. Using a more capable provider (like HSAPQ) would fix this, for the most part. I need to know what you mean by acceptable answers to say more on that issue. Still, I'm happy to vote for changes that will help us improve.
3) Last year's ASCA champs went to NAQT nationals AND Panasonic, but this is a moot point as Panasonic appears to have folded. There was nothing in the bylaws that prevented teams from going outside of Panasonic, and nothing to prevent them from applying their winnings in the state tourney to attending. The board did strongly encourage attendance at Panasonic for a couple of reasons, including issues with the state funding that we are able to apply for to attend a national championship. I'll be happy to show you that material at the Oct. 2 meeting if you'd like to see it, because it's just another great Alabama snafu thing that screws everyone, and there's squat we can do about it through ASCA. Still, there is no formal requirement that the state champion attend Panasonic--only that ASCA will designate a team to attend Panasonic as the state team if the first place team chooses not to attend.
4) Agreed. See #1. This would be easier if there were more programs interested at the JV level, but we have to take things one step at a time. I'd love to find a pyramidal JV/middle school provider, but I have yet to see one. PLEASE, if you read this and you know of a good option, post and let me know or e-mail me at mr.rutsky@gma il dot com. I know--we could write them ourselves--but I don't have the time or support to do that right now, so I need a contract provider with samples I can bring to the board and advocate for.
5) This is not, IMHO, indicative of the attitude of the average ASCA board member. It certainly isn't indicative of mine. There is no dress code for scholars bowl, and there doesn't need to be, short of avoiding obscenity unless you bring enough to share with everyone.

I do hope this helps to address a few of the concerns that have been expressed about ASCA. We aren't perfect. Not even close. We are, however, the only state organization existing at the moment, so let's see what from that list we can fix on October 2nd, and start making that progress forward. I'd like nothing more than to see multiple Alabama teams taken seriously at the national level in coming years, and I think programs like Brindlee Mountain, Russellville, Indian Springs, LAMP, etc. have demonstrated that we can produce programs that do so, even if they are coming out of ASCA's 4 quarter format.

Let the flames begin!
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Actually really good post Josh. I hope that with Chad K from NAQT coming to the conference on Thursday that he will be able to make some points about the speed at which pyramidal questions tournament can be run.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

For what it's worth, Panasonic, under its old/new name, has announced a date for a 2009 tournament. http://www.polk-fl.net/students/academi ... ions/ntae/ . Not that anyone should go...I think funding trips to NAQT and PACE for the top 1-2 teams at state as a prize is a great idea, and could be accomplished for the same cost as sending a team to Panasonic.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Joshua Rutsky wrote:Let the flames begin!
Thanks but no thank you!

Please, no flaming from anyone here. Thanks in advance.

(Edit: This is directed at everyone; if it seemed like I was aiming at Rutsky specifically, I wasn't and I apologize for any confusion caused by my late night stupidity)
Fred Morlan
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

Here's my 2cent on the rankings in the state.
Rankings: (purely speculation and based off of my limited knowledge of the situation in AL)

1. Hoover - They're for real this year. ASFA didn't go the the William Rufus King tournament at University of Alabama earlier this year; however, I gathered from the stats that Hoover pretty much owned the whole field from Alabama. Furthermore, they beat Chattahoochee and Brookwood, 2 very good out-of-state teams. Moreover, They went to NAQT HSNCT (only 2 schools went) and probably have gathered considerable experience in serious quizbowl. I think everyone can agree that they are probably the best team in Alabama right now.

2. ISS - Indian Springs returns all of their players from their team last year. With their considerable experience and solid knowledge base, they may give Hoover a headache this year. They consistently placed highly in tournaments last year, and when we played them, they did exceptionally well. Although they didn't go to the U of A tournament earlier this year, they will probably own every team not named Hoover.

3. ASFA - this may be a bit presumptuous (and probably is), but we're returning 2 players from last year. We were tied Hoover going into the catchup round at the playoffs at last year's ASCA playoffs; however, we did lose our best player. Our new recruits have deep knowledge in their appointed fields (however with no experience in QB). Again this may be a bit presumptuous, but two returning members of our team (me and another person) have a lot of free time this year and we're dedicating alot of effort in covering the areas that we've been weak on last year. We should place at a couple of tournaments this year, and will try to make a run at the state title. My fellow classmates and are also thinking of ways we can raise money for HSNCT this year (assuming we qualify).

4. Brindlee Mountain - Although they basically lost all of their beastly A team from last year (and more importantly, Andy), they still have Mr. Lee coaching them. Based on their performance at the U of A tournament, they should maintain some of their dominance from last year.

5. Russeville - I feel I may be under-rating them...They return all of their team last year and did well at the U of A tournament. Their experience should carry them far along at any tournament.

As for the reward for the State Champions, I think a "real" national tournament would be a better reward for our state champtions than the current Panasonic tournament. First, the winning team would gain considerable experience playing against the best teams in the country. Secondly, there is definitely better QB at HSNCT or NSC. Thirdly, it would benefit the state more if we assert our superiority with the best real-teams in the country rather than all-star teams that seem to compose much of the Panasonic tournament.

EDIT: correction
Last edited by azngod1992 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Shi
Alabama School of Fine Arts 2005-2009
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I love that you know what good quizbowl is and are supporting it's growth, but I think I should note that Hoover did not go to the NSC last year (nor in 2007 or 2006, I haven't looked further). I'm pretty sure Hoover did go to the NAQT HSNCT though.
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I am with Charlie on that one .. I know that they went to Chicago and I am really sure that they were at the Panasonic as the Alabama rep... but I am not sure about PACE
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

A list of past NSC team participants at http://www.pace-nsc.org/results/index.html .
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

We did NOT attend PACE, though we would have liked to. Unfortunately, it was scheduled at a time when our top two players couldn't attend. This year is a possibility, although the idea of going to the DC area on Memorial Day strikes me as a potential headache. I know PACE had no choice on that one, though, and indeed were being good neighbors to move to that date, and we'd like to support them, so we'll see. We're still waiting to see if our tourney will be a PACE qualifier, but I know Matt's is.
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member