Kentucky 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Church51907
Wakka

Re: Kentucky 08-09

Post by Church51907 »

Wow, Dunbar and Simon Kenton first round and Simon Kenton, Dunbar, and Russell in a group

Manual, Ballard, and Danville in a group

Campbell County, Johnson Central, and Henry Clay in a group

Some of the possible favorites may not make it past the early rounds

Who does everyone think will win?

I saw Ballard, Manual, and Adair County at our tournament and they were all very impressive.

Damn, Dunbar and Simon Kenton first round. That is amazing

Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Church51907 wrote:Wow, Dunbar and Simon Kenton first round and Simon Kenton, Dunbar, and Russell in a group

Manual, Ballard, and Danville in a group

Campbell County, Johnson Central, and Henry Clay in a group

Some of the possible favorites may not make it past the early rounds

Who does everyone think will win?

I saw Ballard, Manual, and Adair County at our tournament and they were all very impressive.

Damn, Dunbar and Simon Kenton first round. That is amazing

Matt Church
U of L
I'm not judging any teams, but I'm just saying that NAQT may not be a great indicator for Gov Cup. Pyramidal (kind of) vs. Buzzer races.

Simon Kenton will be a good opponent.
Ping @Dunbar
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Oh, and obviously I am biased toward Dunbar so I say we will win. But if I am trying to be unbiased and take into account how much other teams have played Gov Cup style, I'd say one of these: Johnson, Pikeville, or Russell
Ping @Dunbar
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Oh, I didn't know that Guy. He should be punished accordingly, for making all 200 teams wait for the two hours.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

scquizbowl wrote:Oh, I didn't know that Guy. He should be punished accordingly, for making all 200 teams wait for the two hours.

Joe
James Island '10
It was actually 200 kids, but they didn't wait two hours - the tests in questions had to be pushed back to their inclement weather date, which I believe was Tuesday.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Well looks like it will be an interesting Sunday, when prelims happen. Several good matchs and some very good opening round matches.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
lewiscomvp
Kimahri

Post by lewiscomvp »

soaringeagle22 wrote:Well, the brackets for State are finally up:

http://kaac.com/state/HSPoolAssignments-09.pdf

Some good first round matchups this year. I wish I could watch Henry Clay vs. Johnson Central, Ballard vs. Manual, and Simon Kenton vs. Dunbar. We look to have a competitive pool too. Does anyone know much about Fleming County or Ashland Blazer?
Oh man, Fleming County is definitely peaking at the right time. They were good before, but at Region, they aboslutely slaughtered us, and we were playing at the top of our game. They beat us by more than Russell did earlier this season. I would seriously watch this team. Be careful, Grayson.
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

I kinda feel bad for Mr. Knupp. I know that what he did was wrong, but Quick Recall was his life. He was an excellent coach, and a very present personality, and his absence from the circuit will definitely be noticed.

That being said, I'm pretty hopeful for State. Though I'm obviously biased towards my own team, I feel like we can make a good showing. We have a solid quick recall team and we have the most testers at state. I just hope that we can put alot of people on stage.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
footballguy
Kimahri

Post by footballguy »

Some good first round matchups this year. I wish I could watch Henry Clay vs. Johnson Central, Ballard vs. Manual, and Simon Kenton vs. Dunbar. We look to have a competitive pool too. Does anyone know much about Fleming County or Ashland Blazer?
lewiscomvp got it right. I wouldn't want to have to play Fleming.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

lewiscomvp wrote:

Oh man, Fleming County is definitely peaking at the right time. They were good before, but at Region, they aboslutely slaughtered us, and we were playing at the top of our game. They beat us by more than Russell did earlier this season. I would seriously watch this team. Be careful, Grayson.

What's Fleming County's best subjects?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
lewiscomvp
Kimahri

Post by lewiscomvp »

soaringeagle22 wrote:
lewiscomvp wrote:

What's Fleming County's best subjects?
They have a guy that's as good at math as you can get, probably. Also, one of their players (Michelle) knows pretty much every book ever written. Their science guy is really good too. Also, they have two guys that know all that stuff no one else has ever heard of. And they have the deepest bench I've ever seen. They can play like any of six different players.

-Lewis co, C.C
TBrowning09
Lulu

Post by TBrowning09 »

This looks like its going to be a good set of pool play.

I wish I could watch some of the matches insted of playing. I'd like to see Henry Clay v Johnson County, Ballard v DuPont, Simon v Dunbar.

It seems there are a few good teams that will end up going home after pool, its a pity. I wish everyone good luck at State.
-Thomas Browning, Pikeville High School (2005-2009)
- University of Louisville (2009-?)
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

So,
Who all is going to Dunbar next Saturday?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

We're planning to as of now.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Unless we end up with a different number of teams, we are planning a big round robin and then if the top team wins by 2 games or more, the champion is decided. If only by 1 game, they play an advantaged final against the second place team. If the two are tied, then just a normal final.

EDIT: my bad, should post in our tournament's thread
Ping @Dunbar
Macks Well
Lulu

Post by Macks Well »

So who is ready for some state action?
Pools are intriguing. I'm really excited to see some of the dark horse teams.
Max Morley
Pikeville High School
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Yeah, I'm really excited. Apparently Fleming County will be a formidable opponent (I'd love to see if their LA player actually knows everything about every book ever written, or if she may have missed one or two) and it should be fun playing against them.

Dunbar was really fun today too. I'm a little disappointed that we waited until March of my Senior year to go to a tournament with NAQT Invitational Series questions (I didn't even know about NAQT until this past summer, I know that's sad) because I feel I might be better at those questions than quick recall, which was surprising to me.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

because I feel I might be better at those questions than quick recall, which was surprising to me.
If you have real knowledge, that's actually not terribly suprising. Besides, when you do well on pyramidal questions you really feel like you accomplished something in a way that you don't when you do well on lesser question.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

soaringeagle22 wrote:Yeah, I'm really excited. Apparently Fleming County will be a formidable opponent (I'd love to see if their LA player actually knows everything about every book ever written, or if she may have missed one or two) and it should be fun playing against them.

Dunbar was really fun today too. I'm a little disappointed that we waited until March of my Senior year to go to a tournament with NAQT Invitational Series questions (I didn't even know about NAQT until this past summer, I know that's sad) because I feel I might be better at those questions than quick recall, which was surprising to me.
Nick, you guys should definitely try to qualify for NAQT nationals at Louisville's tournament in April. You guys should also try to apply for a wildcard spot. It's a great experience playing the best teams in the nation. And it'll hopefully get Grayson out to more non-Gov Cup tournaments next year and perhaps eventually moving on to the best questions like PACE and HSAPQ.
Ping @Dunbar
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Hopefully so,

Next year we are planning to go to Dunbar, Vandy, and maybe Nationals.
We are also thinking about hosting an NAQT tourney to get some more local teams involved.
We are taking several students to ace,
so hopefully this will help us become even more competitive at a state/possibly national level.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
lewiscomvp
Kimahri

Post by lewiscomvp »

soaringeagle22 wrote:Yeah, I'm really excited. Apparently Fleming County will be a formidable opponent (I'd love to see if their LA player actually knows everything about every book ever written, or if she may have missed one or two) and it should be fun playing against them.

I'd love to see Grayson County do some math or science, hurr hurr.
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

I would appreciate it if you "LewisCounty" quit bashing our team. :roll:
I am glad our actual opponents, Flemming, are much more pleasant than you.

I am looking forward to state.
There are plenty of good first round match ups, and it looks like it will be a fun weekend.
Last edited by Scott on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Scott,

Please don't take the comments from "lewiscomvp" as a reflection of the opinions of the FCHS team. He/she does not speak for me or the kids on my team.

We truly do look forward to our matchup and feel it should be a very good game. From looking over the district and region scores for the last couple of years it seems to me that both of our teams should be pretty evenly matched. I especially look forward to seeing how you matchup with Michelle (our Language Arts girl) and how Nick and Stephen (our Social Studies guy) will fare head to head. I can also tell from the trends over the last couple of year that Grayson Co. is most definitely a team that is on the rise, out of a very competitive region. If you can get past Apollo, Owensboro, O'Cath, Henderson and Edmondson Co. then it's obvious that you're quite formidable. Saying that, it is certainly very likely that either of our teams can win our first round game.

On a happier note, we'd love to have you and your team travel up to our tournament in January (no official date yet, but probably the second or third Saturday). I know that your team is getting to a few more tournaments of late and this year's FCAT did have six regional champs attend, so the competition is pretty good (if you like quick recall).

regards, and good luck in Louisville,

Kent Grannis
FCHS Academic Coach

Also, if anyone at state is looking for a possible sparring match on Saturday evening we may be open to a little friendly practice. I know how that sounds...what better way to spend a Saturday night in Louisville than playing quick recall? :grin:
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Thank you for clearing that up. :smile:

Both of our teams have been on the rise for the past few years.
I am looking forward to some good competition, especially since our strong areas seem to be the same.
I am sure Marshall and Paul Blazer will be good competition as well.

Yes, we have been attending more tournaments than ever this year.
We hope to go to even more next year.
FCAT would be a great way to get some more QR experience, as opposed to only attending NAQT format events.

Having some type of scrimmage does sound kind of fun!
Is anyone interested?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
jackatthedisco
Lulu

Post by jackatthedisco »

Jack is!
Although I can't speak for the rest of my team, I (and probably Max) would love to come scrimmage, if that's alright with you guys?
And I'm pretty stoked about state as well. Hopefully, I'll quit changing my correct answers to wrong ones on the tests. :mad:
Jack Carter, Pikeville, Senior. :D
"We are nothing without our image. Without our projection. Without the spiritual hologram of who we percieve ourselves to be, or to become rather, in the future. When you're lonely, I'll be lonely too. And this is The Fame."
footballguy
Kimahri

Post by footballguy »

FCPanther wrote:Scott,

Please don't take the comments from "lewiscomvp" as a reflection of the opinions of the FCHS team. He/she does not speak for me or the kids on my team.

We truly do look forward to our matchup and feel it should be a very good game. From looking over the district and region scores for the last couple of years it seems to me that both of our teams should be pretty evenly matched. I especially look forward to seeing how you matchup with Michelle (our Language Arts girl) and how Nick and Stephen (our Social Studies guy) will fare head to head. I can also tell from the trends over the last couple of year that Grayson Co. is most definitely a team that is on the rise, out of a very competitive region. If you can get past Apollo, Owensboro, O'Cath, Henderson and Edmondson Co. then it's obvious that you're quite formidable. Saying that, it is certainly very likely that either of our teams can win our first round game.

On a happier note, we'd love to have you and your team travel up to our tournament in January (no official date yet, but probably the second or third Saturday). I know that your team is getting to a few more tournaments of late and this year's FCAT did have six regional champs attend, so the competition is pretty good (if you like quick recall).

Kent Grannis
FCHS Academic Coach

Also, if anyone at state is looking for a possible sparring match on Saturday evening we may be open to a little friendly practice. I know how that sounds...what better way to spend a Saturday night in Louisville than playing quick recall?
FCPanther,

Good job clearing up the tension. Things were getting a little awkward around here.
Anyway, there are only two ways to settle this. A cage death match, or some QR. (I vote QR)
So lets just wait for state, let all the teams do their thing, and see what happens.
Right?
Beastman
Lulu

Post by Beastman »

I'm pretty excited for state. Haven't been in a while, so it's nice to be back.
Cole Phelps, naturally.
Grayson '10.
Western Kentucky University '14.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

FCPanther wrote:Scott,

Kent Grannis
FCHS Academic Coach

Also, if anyone at state is looking for a possible sparring match on Saturday evening we may be open to a little friendly practice. I know how that sounds...what better way to spend a Saturday night in Louisville than playing quick recall? :grin:

Thanks for the kind words about our team, and good luck to you all as well. I agree that our 1st round matchup looks very well matched, and should be a good game. To put to bed any possible misinterpretation of my previous comments, I have heard good things about several of your players, and am eager to play against them.

In doing research for our matchup (I've tried to be more in-depth than asking around a message board) I've found that you all have been very successful this season, and I always look forward to playing against another Social Studies player who has done well. It should be very fun.

And we thought about attending the FCAT this year, but we decided on a local tournament using NAQT A Series Questions instead...unfortunately, the competition wasn't what we had hoped for (we beat our own JV Team in the Finals.)
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Practice rounds sound great!

Does anyone have any ideas about when or where to have them?
I guess we could use some old questions "?"
Are any more teams interested?
:grin:
I am very excited to see who will win some of these first rounds!
Dunbar vs. Simon Kenton
JC vs. Cambell
Ours (Flemming and Grayson)

All very up in the air :shock:
Last edited by Scott on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
TBrowning09
Lulu

Post by TBrowning09 »

I'll talk to our coaches tomorrow to see if they'd be interested in scrimmage on Saturday. It'd be nice to play some teams before sunday and get into the quick recall style of play.

I'm pretty excited for state can't wait to see how things go... looking forward to this year.
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Just out of curiosity and need for procrastination right now,

Does anyone know who(what group of people) controls(can influence) things about Gov Cup QR such as question provider and/or question format?
Ping @Dunbar
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

I am sure John Bennett can, seeing that he is the director.
I know that they hire individual writers for their work.
Not sure how you could get them to change formats though.
Is that what you were thinking?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Of course nothing that can affect anyone within a year or so. But maybe something to get them start thinking about pyramidality. I know Gov Cup claims it wants clues in descending order of difficulty, but usually that doesn't happen as there's only 1 or 2 legitimate clues.
Ping @Dunbar
CMarc
Kimahri

Post by CMarc »

Does anyone see any major upsets?
A lot of teams this year are strong so there maybe a potential dark horse.
Coty Marcum
Johnson Central High '10
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Several upsets are really possible.
Definitely not a dark horse, but I think MVNH may do even better than expected, maybe top four.
I can also see Adair or Campbell (if they can get to the 2nd day) placing quite high.
I see some potential for our pool as well, probably not a top 4, but a quarterfinals spot is feasible for Flemming, Marshall, and Grayson.
All of this unpredictability makes state even more exciting! :cool:

So, any more info on the scrimmages we may have?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Randomnumber11235
Lulu

Post by Randomnumber11235 »

Anyone have any up-to-date information as to how State's been progressing. I imagine that it is at least time for the quarterfinals.
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

QR:
Jonson
Dunbar
Russel
Henry Clay

Overall:
Dunbar
Johnson
Henry Clay
Pikeville
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Johnson Central beat Dunbar 40-39 in the Championship game. Dunbar started VERY hot, but Johnson staged a huge rally from double digits down and was up at one point 40-33 before Dunbar finished nicely. It was one of the better games I've ever seen, and made me feel a whole lot better to being knocked out (literally, it was 54-13, which was incidentally our season record before the game) by Johnson Central in the Sweet 16. I gotta say, whenever they get hot (especially Brad, who completely owned me in Social Studies) it's not fun to be in their way. Congratulations to all the winners in QR, FPS, and Written Assessment.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

I would like to congratulate Dunbar on wiining State once again. Also, Central is now probably likely going to Either Naqt or Pace now.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

Hello Kentuckians, I just wanted to say that the tournament Centre is hosting in May might be a good way to end the season and possibly tune up for nationals.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
TBrowning09
Lulu

Post by TBrowning09 »

State was pretty fun, I was a bit dissapointed by our loss to Dunbar by a point but those things happen. Hopefully we can still compete in a few more tournaments this year.

I believe we are going to NAQT state in april and we are interested in a few others.

I will talk to our coaches about the center tournament see what they think.

Congrats to Dunbar on their win they are a great team and congrats to Johnson on their win in QR.
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

So what teams are going to nationals? (both or either NAQT or PACE, :chip: doesn't really count)
I know Dunbar is going to both with hopefully 2 teams once we can put 4 more people together
Ping @Dunbar
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

We have two teams qualified for Pace, but I don' t know if we 're bringing both of them.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

The derby festival academic challenge was enjoyable.
Although the questions were overly easy, I still enjoyed myself.

*QR
1st: Manual
2nd: Johnson
3rd: Eastern
Danville
5th: Grayson
Pikeville
Dunbar
Trinity
*Team Test
1st: Adair
2nd: Pikeville
Individual Test
*Victor Macrinici

It's unfortunate that Dunbar did not compete in the test or quarter finals. (Could someone explain why?)
I think they would have done very well.

I would like to congratulate Manual and Johnson for their excellent performance in QR.
Also, good job to Pikeville and Adair for their excellent testing!

Considering that this was the first time we have been, I am pleased with how we did.
We are definitely going to come back next year!
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

grayson77 wrote: It's unfortunate that Dunbar did not compete in the test or quarter finals. (Could someone explain why?)
I'm pretty sure they competed or Victor wouldn't have gotten 1st place on the individual test. Unless they added a new team test instead of just adding up the individual test scores for a team. Dunbar forfeited their second round because they didn't show up.
Sandy
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
There were two different test, one multiple choice, one a QR set with no answers.
Dunbar did not compete in the second test.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Fleming County High School has set January 16th, 2010 as the tentative date for the next Fleming County Academic Tournament. Details are pretty much the same as in years past...Governor's Cup format. $60 entry fee, and morning pool play rounds will be used to seed the single elimination rounds.

Contact information and additional details are available in the regular season tournament announcements.
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

Grayson County is planning on hosting a NAQT tournament sometime next winter.
We are planning on having a 12 or 16 team field for the event.

There will be at least two spots for NAQT qualification and possibly one for PACE.
Awards will be given to the top 4 teams and 10 individuals.

We would like to know if any teams would be interested in attending.
We look forward to announcing further details in the future.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Who in Kentucky is attending the High school KAAC camp at the end of June.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Scott,

Fleming County is looking to add an NAQT event sometime next year and would be interested, assuming that your tournament doesn't conflict with something that is already on the schedule. Let me know when you set a date.