Why isn't there talk of this? (Nadal d. Federer)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Why isn't there talk of this? (Nadal d. Federer)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Basically, like, today's Wimbledon championship was the best game of any kind I've seen. Wow.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
theattachment
Rikku

Re: Why isn't there talk of this?

Post by theattachment »

Because watching that game melted everyone's faces so much they got off their computers and watched it.

It was sport at its finest.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

It was pretty much brilliant. Like, I could barely understand what was happening, but it was awesome.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I agree with the face melting thing. I'm still in shock at how amazing it was. The 209-204 split in total points won blows my mind.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

theattachment wrote:It was sport at its finest.
Totally Agreed. If you don't think golf and tennis are intense, look no further than this year's US Open and Wimbledon.
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

I am glad it ended when it did. Shades of the 2002 U.S. Open of golf. It would have been horrible for it to be suspended due to darkness at 9:30 pm, restart at 2 pm tomorrow, then last 2 games.
Daniel Greenstein
University of Maryland (2000-2004)
Eleanor Roosevelt High School (1998-2000)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I missed this, but Feder + Nadal always, always, always equals awesomeness.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Post by Chico the Rainmaker »

I bet Nadal is sure glad that there is no 5th set tiebreak at Wimbledon.
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Interestingly, Federer called the result a "disaster" later on-- even more so than Nadal's spanking of him at the last French Open.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X

Re: Why isn't there talk of this? (Nadal d. Federer)

Well, it broke his grass streak. Also, I don't think Federer is dumb enough to think he's better than Nadal at clay, since Nadal is ridiculously dominant on that surface. So yeah, I can see where he would think this is a worse loss than that. However, both of those guys put on a tremendous game, and as much as I hate it when people say "nobody's a loser," this really was about as close as you can get to a situation where nobody is a loser.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

Except Federer. He did kind of lose, and in a lot of people's eyes he lost the number one spot in the world. He admitted that he had a lot of bad shots (52 unforced errors, namely some really hard misses at net like the last shot) but what that match proved is that Nadal isn't a novelty player only able to beat Federer on his worst surface. He's a player that can school one of the best players EVER on serve and can get the break point when it's necessary.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

At this point, this has the potential to be what saves men's tennis from relative obscurity. You have two great players who can stomp the rest of the field, and now Nadal's proven that he can beat Federer on grass. All we need is a Federer victory over Nadal on clay.

I doubt it will touch the level of Borg/McEnroe, but at this point, men's tennis needs something.

I definitely agree that this rivalry is gonna be good for tennis, and I can only hope that the fact no Americans are contending doesn't hurt either. I think Roddick was America's last big draw for tennis, and his inability hold up to Federer really was somewhat of a letdown. I'd think US ratings of tennis watching has declined because of that.

wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

can Federer really beat Nadal on clay though? (don't think so)
and will Nadal ever be able to hold his own on hard courts? (actually maybe)
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

dtaylor4 wrote:At this point, this has the potential to be what saves men's tennis from relative obscurity. You have two great players who can stomp the rest of the field, and now Nadal's proven that he can beat Federer on grass. All we need is a Federer victory over Nadal on clay.

I doubt it will touch the level of Borg/McEnroe, but at this point, men's tennis needs something.
It has already easily surpassed Borg-McEnroe, as they have played at least five classics (from 2005 Miami to now). Also, Federer has beaten Nadal on clay. Don't think that clay is only at the French Open.

Jack Glerum: I saw the U.S. Open in golf and was thoroughly disappointed. While it was courageous on Tiger's part, the golf was not very good. That morning of the playoff, NBC's announcers said that the hole positions were easy and they expected both to shoot under par. After they both shot even par, they said, "They are golfing better than anyone would have expected. This is the difference between Federer and Tiger: Tiger does not reach expectations in victory, while Federer plays better than expected in losses.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
KevinL
Lulu

Post by KevinL »

BG MSL Champs wrote:This is the difference between Federer and Tiger: Tiger does not reach expectations in victory, while Federer plays better than expected in losses.
I disagree. First of all, Federer was expected to win Wimbledon. You cannot argue that he was not the favorite (with him having won five times in a row, beaten Nadal there on multiple occasions, Nadal's image as a clay court player, etc.), therefore, he could not have played better than expected in a loss, as most people expected him to win. Second, Tiger Woods is considered one of the favorites in every tournament he plays. Countless occasions Tiger has dominated the field or otherwise posted ridiculously low scores, such as the 1997 Masters, 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach, 2006 British Open, etc. And with this year's US Open, expectations were much higher than they would have been, had Woods revealed beforehand that he would be playing on a double stress fracture in his left tibia and a torn ACL in his left knee. He walked 92 holes on that and won a major championship. I don't think you can say he didn't reach expectations in his victory.

Aside from that, I don't really think you can compare golf and tennis. In golf, you are competing against the rest of the field, and you really can't do anything about the other players' scores. Tennis is more of a direct competition; you're score partially depends on how well your opponent is playing.
Kevin Lybrand
Retired from playing*
Clemson, 09-10
Dorman A, 08-09
Dorman B, 06-08

*most likely