Weekend Of Quizbowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Weekend Of Quizbowl

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Where will it be held this year because North Myrtle Beach is extremely intrested in attending
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013

First Chairman
Auron

Re: Weekend Of Quizbowl

Post by First Chairman »

I am getting the reservation in for March 15, 2009, weekend at George Mason University.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I am getting the reservation in for March 15, 2009, weekend at George Mason University.
This is the tentative plan. The current idea is for two side events and 1-2 main events depending on what materializes (one main event will be written by me, in either case).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Any new updates?
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Sure, now seems like a good time.

I'll be formalizing this in the coming weeks, but Weekend of Quizbowl will definitely occur the weekend of March 15-16 at George Mason University. It will feature a Saturday event written by me, a Sunday event likely using HSAPQ questions, and at least one side event (likely a doubles tossup only event using a college set). I'd love for there to be another subject tournament, but nobody has come forward yet to write it.

I'm hoping that this year's Weekend of Quizbowl will become a PACE-sponsored event, as DACQ is buried in a well-deserved shallow grave. I can tell you that that Dave Bykowski will be overseeing the logistics of this tournament and manning the War Room - teams concerned about some of the events from last year's WoQ Saturday can rest assured that those things will be safely out of my hands. The planned format for both days is to use the PACE style prelim/ playoff bracketed round robins with full consolation games - identical to what was used at Maryland's Fall Tournament. Suggestions on format are quite welcomed.

I think that covers the rough details - the tournament will definitely be happening (on March 15-16) at George Mason, the questions should be of a high quality, and the tournament direction will be overseen by the notably competent Dave Bykowski. Also, the price for this event will be lower than last year's, which was far too high (in addition, all DACQ-subscribing teams will be receiving a substantial discount to this event, as the announcement will explain).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

And hopefully as soon as I get room confirms...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I'm putting together my spring schedule...

What's the current status of this?

Byko
Auron

Post by Byko »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:I'm putting together my spring schedule...

What's the current status of this?
I'm keeping that whole weekend clear on my schedule, and I know that Tom was taking care of reserving the rooms, which I don't imagine will be a problem.

Beyond that, at least from my side of things, I know that there will be a website for online registration (probably on the hsquizbowl.org domain) once we know exact details of events, prices, and other similar oddities. And I figure we'll use Taft for stats (you're welcome, Evan).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship