North Carolina '08-'09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rchschem
Yuna

North Carolina '08-'09

Post by rchschem »

Hmm...I thought we already had a thread.

Anyway, I heard a rumor that the Tar Heel Cup will be helld 9/27. I am posting this here for the UNC club to refute. We're already planning to take our A team to Wofford that day, so it would be really nice if this was not actually the date for the THC.

I miss winning the THC. (sniff)

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Re: North Carolina '08-'09

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

I'm about 95% certain this is indeed the case, though they may not have announced it yet because they're planning on changing the date. With the football schedule and the already-announced tournaments, though, I'm afraid that might be rather hard to do...
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Those of you who love Brain Game (and who doesn't?), hold on to your shorts. The following changes have been announced for the fall 08-09 season:

Format and Rules Changes

1. Students in all high school grades (9-12) are now eligible to play Brain Game. We have eliminated the age restriction.

2. There will be 12 regular season games and all 12 winners will advance in our new playoff system. This requires two taping dates for the playoffs each season. For Fall – Nov. 15 and Dec. 6; for Spring – March 28 and April 26. Some details are still being worked out… I’ll send more info before the season begins.

3. Two categories have changed – Word Power is now a themed crossword puzzle on any subject, not merely literature. Connections has been replaced with Arts & Crafts - a 5 question category on the fine arts which includes, but is not limited to, painting, sculpture, music, and theatre. Each question is worth 20 points.

4. Early buzzing has been eliminated. Teams must wait for the complete reading of a question before buzzing in. There are no penalties, as we have a mechanical lockout system.

5. Scores from the two study rounds, Globetrotting and Across America, will be used as tie-breakers (Globetrotting first, then if necessary, Across America.)

I would not expect these to be the last world-rocking changes to be announced over the next couple of seasons.

Eric
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

rchschem wrote:4. Early buzzing has been eliminated. Teams must wait for the complete reading of a question before buzzing in.
Hi there, Not Quizbowl! How ya doin?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

Anyway, I heard a rumor that the Tar Heel Cup will be helld 9/27.
Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only day this fall that will work with the football schedule, and the parking on home game days is not something we want teams to have to deal with. We'll be sending out an e-mail with more information later this week; hopefully at least some Raleigh Charter team will be able to make an appearance.
Sara Garnett
Michigan State
UNC 2009
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

rchschem wrote:3. Two categories have changed – Word Power is now a themed crossword puzzle on any subject, not merely literature. Connections has been replaced with Arts & Crafts - a 5 question category on the fine arts which includes, but is not limited to, painting, sculpture, music, and theatre. Each question is worth 20 points.
Crossword puzzles?!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

1. Yeah!
2. Yeah... I guess.
3. Whee...
4. :w-hat:
5. Tiebreakers?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Crossword puzzles?!
The transition from a 9th-10th grade game in a weak quizbowl market to something respectable is tough. You have to learn to fall down before you can walk. Note the addition of an arts category.

And the big problem with "pre-emptive buzzing" is more of one where players buzz in before the question is read at all--more a function of bad question writing and predictability. I will be advocating heavily for a rule change to allow buzzing within the question, but at least start the question. There are tradeoffs to be made for TV, unfortunately.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

rchschem wrote: And the big problem with "pre-emptive buzzing" is more of one where players buzz in before the question is read at all--more a function of bad question writing and predictability. I will be advocating heavily for a rule change to allow buzzing within the question, but at least start the question. There are tradeoffs to be made for TV, unfortunately.
The questions are so bad that you can buzz before the question is read, like, not disastrously? Please tell me that you have categories read before the question. Categories like CHEMISTRY : GAS LAWS : BOYLE'S LAW. Or else I will be very confused.

Good luck with that rule change; it seems to be a terrifying situation on the whole.
Andrew Watkins
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

everyday847 wrote:
The questions are so bad that you can buzz before the question is read, like, not disastrously? Please tell me that you have categories read before the question. Categories like CHEMISTRY : GAS LAWS : BOYLE'S LAW. Or else I will be very confused.

Good luck with that rule change; it seems to be a terrifying situation on the whole.
The categories are known (10 questions on science and math, for example). What I'm talking about here are specific quirks of the show, for example, displaying a graphic of an equation and the players know they will be asked to solve for x; or in the crossword puzzle round, you know it's about The Odyssey and they're looking at a five letter word that shows H-O-blank-E-R. These kinds of buzzes are more gamesmanship--good teams know they can do this under the old rules of the game. It is certainly the result of not much effort being put into the construction of the show. There is a new producer and staff, and the producer is working very hard to make the show credible and worthwhile. She is a TV producer, though, and it is a TV program, so there are viewers to consider, and for the same reasons that quizbowl makes lousy TV (many discussions of this on this board before), this TV program won't make good quizbowl (as Matt so concisely stated above). But it won't be cover-your-eyes-awful as it has been in the past. They do not seem to be interested in a format more like It's Ac or Hi-Q, where it's a match that is televised. At least at this point.
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

With Robinson changing their tournament date to December 6th, it looks like November 1st may work for Tar Heel Cup (when I was checking the football schedule for away games, I failed to notice that there was no game at all on November 1st); would this date pose any problems for North Carolina teams?

For the record, it is an SAT day.

EDIT: Also for the record, it is the day after Halloween, so probably not the best choice. We'll discuss it this week.
Sara Garnett
Michigan State
UNC 2009
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

wwellington wrote:With Robinson changing their tournament date to December 6th, it looks like November 1st may work for Tar Heel Cup (when I was checking the football schedule for away games, I failed to notice that there was no game at all on November 1st); would this date pose any problems for North Carolina teams?

For the record, it is an SAT day.

EDIT: Also for the record, it is the day after Halloween, so probably not the best choice. We'll discuss it this week.
It UNposes many problems for Raleigh Charter. I will tell all my delegates to support this new date.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

As I'm also in discussion with Duke about HSCS... please let me know what dates UNC Tarheel will fall.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

NC people:

1. Sorry about not updating the NCATA schedule yet. Please expect that this week, now that I have regained FTP access to the page.
2. Quick date update in the meantime:

9/27 - Tar Heel Cup @ UNC-CH
11/15 - Bonfire of the Humanities (a mirror of Harvard's fall tournament) @ Raleigh Charter
12/6 - Robinson Fall @ Robinson

We're still waiting on a date for the HSCS. I do not think Richmond County will be running their tournament (historically a Brookwood mirror, but not last year). I have not heard anything from anyone else about possible tournaments. Even the Greensboro Parks and Rec High-IQ bowl site is gone and I have not seen any new advertising yet for a fall date.

We are accepting requests for hosting NCOAST in the spring. Please email me if you are interested. We have many changes in store so that the tournament runs much more smoothly and fairly than last year's. I accept the blame for that.

Eric
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

OK!

The NCATA web site is now up and current, including a new tournaments page with updated listings for this year. There are several new tournaments this year, and I hope you can get to as many as possible.

Important short notes:

1. Duke Celebrity Shoot - 11/1
2. Bonfire of the Humanities (Harvard Fall Tournament mirror) at Raleigh Charter - 11/15
3. Porter Ridge - 11/22

Eric
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

The Tar Heel Cup went very well on Saturday. It was nice to see some teams I haven't seen in a while, like Chapel Hill, and some new teams, like Early College of Guilford. It's too bad there were so many conflicts with other events (band, Brain Game), so we didn't see Robinson. The tournament was efficiently run and the readers were good in the matches I saw.

I am looking forward to the Celebrity Shoot; we should see lots of new faces.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Now that marching band season is over (which took six of my top nine players from me for six solid weeks), we went down to Spartanburg this past weekend and put both of our teams in the quarterfinals, with the 'A' team advancing to the semis. The field wasn't as tough as it could've been, as Dorman's big dogs had already seen the questions, but there were some good teams there that we managed to top, including Brevard, a potential QB titan lingering over in the mountains.

We're definitely looking forward to RCHS and Porter Ridge in November.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

I just wanted to say that I am particularly impressed this year with Greensboro Day and Early College of Guilford. I read for both of them at the Bonfire of the Manatees and they are both in the ranks of the top teams in NC.

It was great to see so many new teams at this tournament and also to see that some of our regulars continue to get better. Quizbowl in NC is still young, but these have been the goals of NCATA: get more teams involved, and make those teams better and stronger.

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Results from today's inaugural Pirate Academic Challenge at Porter Ridge High School in Indian Trail, near Charlotte:

1. Robinson A
2. Christ Church (SC)
3. Thomas Jefferson Classical A
4. Hickory Ridge A
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Out of curiosity, were Myers Park or Gaston Day School in attendance?
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Inter et Inter wrote:Out of curiosity, were Myers Park or Gaston Day School in attendance?
Nyet. Robinson had 3 teams, Hickory Ridge had 2, then it was Christ Church, Scotland, Richmond, and TJ Classical.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

What's going on in NC? Anything new with any tournaments? How are all the teams in the state doing?

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Just finally announcing that NCOAST will be held April 25 at T.W. Andrews HS in High Point. Next year will back in the Triangle somewheres.

Registration information, format, and other important knowledge will be made available soon.

Eric
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

scquizbowl wrote:What's going on in NC? Anything new with any tournaments? How are all the teams in the state doing?

Joe
James Island '10
Our tournament schedule is here, so you can check that any time. As far as teams go, we've got some PACE qualifiers (Rocky Mount, Early College of Guilford, Robinson, Raleigh Charter - I may have forgotten someone) and there is more depth in the state this year. It's a little hard to tell how everyone would play out of state, and not many teams have traveled this year. Raleigh Charter and Robinson went to Cave Spring, and Robinson went to Spartanburg. We'll see some real competition this weekend with Dorman and Chattahoochee at Robinson's Spring tournament. Raleigh Charter has won each tournament we have attended, but we haven't faced any teams like Dorman yet.

The RTO is March 21, in case you're interested in coming up again.

Eric
SpauldingQB
Lulu

Post by SpauldingQB »

rchschem wrote:Just finally announcing that NCOAST will be held April 25 at T.W. Andrews HS in High Point. Next year will back in the Triangle somewheres.

Registration information, format, and other important knowledge will be made available soon.

Eric

Really? Cmon guys...thats the same weekend as state Science Olympiad! Im sure Hoggard isnt the only school with cross-membership issues....any chance of getting that moved to either the wknd before or after?
With your creativity, imagine the perfect world. With your intellect, make it a reality.

Sam Spaulding, Yale 2013
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

SpauldingQB wrote:
rchschem wrote:Just finally announcing that NCOAST will be held April 25 at T.W. Andrews HS in High Point. Next year will back in the Triangle somewheres.

Eric

Really? Cmon guys...thats the same weekend as state Science Olympiad! Im sure Hoggard isnt the only school with cross-membership issues....any chance of getting that moved to either the wknd before or after?
Well, goat tennis ball Matt Weiner. We'll have to change that. I totally forgot to check on SO. You're totally right about conflicts. Thanks for the reminder.

Eric
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

OK. Here goes again:

NCOAST will be held May 16 at Andrews High School in High Point, NC. Registration information will be made available shortly.

This is the least bad date we could come up with. I know it's the weekend before PACE and only 2 weeks before NAQT nationals. One of these august bodies will be supplying questions, so there will be some kind of affiliation for the top finishers.

Eric
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Just for clarification, is NCOAST only open to North Carolina schools? (Isn't it your effective state championship?)
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Correct.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

We will be using NAQT as a question source this year.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Apparently Cave Spring won both the V and JV sides of the Western NC Shootout this past weekend. From Bob Powers' facebook pix it looks like JV beat Freedom and V beat Greensboro Day in the finals.
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

rchschem wrote:Apparently Cave Spring won both the V and JV sides of the Western NC Shootout this past weekend. From Bob Powers' facebook pix it looks like JV beat Freedom and V beat Greensboro Day in the finals.
Correct. Apart from an unusual scheduling, Mr. Haas ran a good tournament. From what I understand, many of the problems from the past year were resolved. Freedom emerged from the JV bracket as the #1 seed while CS emerged as the #2. CS managed to beat Freedom twice in an advantaged final to avenge an early prelim loss (in OT). From the varsity division, Greensboro Day came out #1 and CS came out #2 after prelims (Greensboro handing them a loss in some cross-division match up). CS met Greensboro Day in an advantaged finals and won two times in a row. All props to Greensboro Day as they are a solid team (and they were playing without a key player at this tourney). Patrick from Greensboro was the #1 scorer at the tourney and he is absolutely awesome.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Hey all,

Are there any Raleigh-area teams that would be willing to lend a buzzer set for a good cause this July? I'll be working as a teaching assistant at Governor's School East again this summer*, and I'm looking to host a small (4-team) quizbowl tournament for some of the attendees while I'm there. I'd need the set for about a week in mid-July, and I could either pick it up before school ends (first week of June) and drop it off in August, or just borrow it the weekend before the tournament itself and bring it back the weekend after--whichever works easiest. A five-person-a-side set would be particularly awesome but by no means necessary.

If you're interested, drop me a reply on here or email me at rbruss08 [at] alumni [dot] unc [dot] edu. Thanks!

*If they don't cut our funding any further, at least. Grrr.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Brice: I can hook you up.

Eric
SpauldingQB
Lulu

Post by SpauldingQB »

Yeah Brice!

glad to see this is becoming a more fleshed out idea, I think the kids who competed last year enjoyed it. Joshua said it inspired him to start the team at Gaston Day, and they aren't half bad
With your creativity, imagine the perfect world. With your intellect, make it a reality.

Sam Spaulding, Yale 2013
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

SpauldingQB wrote:Yeah Brice!

glad to see this is becoming a more fleshed out idea, I think the kids who competed last year enjoyed it. Joshua said it inspired him to start the team at Gaston Day, and they aren't half bad
Definitely; I could see Joshua being a very good player. Hopefully he'll keep playing at UVA. Has Gaston Day been to many tournaments?

Also, to Eric: Thanks. I'll be sending you an email posthaste.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

NCOAST Field Update!

Raleigh Charter (2)
Greensboro Day (1)
Cobra Kings (2)
"Green Hope" (2)
Western Harnett (1)
Richmond County (1)
Early College of Greensboro (2)
Cardinal Gibbons (1)
NE Guilford (1)

Hopefully more will sign up, but I blame myself for choosing a lousy date.

Eric
pln09
Kimahri

Post by pln09 »

I agree that it's a crappy date, mainly because I can't go. :cry:

Oh well, life continues.
Patrick Nolan
Greensboro Day School '09
UNC-Chapel Hill '13
Staircase Groupie
Kimahri

Post by Staircase Groupie »

You will be sorely missed...(although at the same time I might be able to breathe a little easier while playing... :smile: )

By the way, have you decided if you're going to play quiz bowl at UNC next year? They're always eager for strong freshman players there.
Peter Schultz, Raleigh Charter '10, UNC-Chapel Hill '14
pln09
Kimahri

Post by pln09 »

Staircase Groupie wrote:By the way, have you decided if you're going to play quiz bowl at UNC next year? They're always eager for strong freshman players there.
I don't know...maybe. The idea has occurred to me, but I haven't really thought about it too much. Obviously he was a lot better than I am, but how was the transition for your brother?

As for NCOAST, I honestly think my team won't do that much worse without me (aside from a large dent in scoring). Sure, RC and Hoggard will murder them (be gentle, please), but I think every other match should be very winnable. That's the problem with lack of depth within the state, I suppose.

Ben Stevenson should benefit from my absence, and I'd dare to say he has an off chance at all-state.

...and I just gave a breakdown of my team that nobody really wanted.
Patrick Nolan
UNC-Chapel Hill '13
Staircase Groupie
Kimahri

Will tells me the transition wasn't too bad. Questions are a bit harder, especially if you attend upper level tournaments, but tournaments like ACF Fall give a quizbowler plenty of room to become acclimated to harder material.

We'll look forward to seeing whoever from Greensboro Day can make it to High Point this weekend. It should be an interesting experience on the whole, and I'm hoping we might have a chance to play Hoggard. I've heard good things about them thus far this season.
rchschem
Yuna

Re: North Carolina '08-'09 - NC All-star voting

Post by rchschem »

Since the field for Saturday's tournament is rather small, I have decided to make the voting for all-star players an electronic affair. On the NCATA website (www.raleighcharterhs.org/ncata) there is a spreadsheet file I assembled from all the individual stat records we had for tournaments in NC this year. According to those records nearly 400 students took part in NC quiz bowl events this year, which is a fantastic number. Likely the number is higher than that, as we do not have stats for some tournaments.

The spreadsheet lists player names and teams as well as individual ppg for each tournament in which they participated and for which we have individual stats. Last year we decided that a player must participate in more than one tournament in order to be eligible for all-star consideration because we wanted to see a record of performance, not one single blip. For the purposes of record keeping this year I have counted prelim and playoff appearances as separate tournaments (where I had separate stats for both), thinking that if a player was consistent across playoffs and prelims that would reflect well on the player, given that playoff games tend to be more competitive.

In any case, if you wish to vote for players, please send me a list of (up to) 8 names, ranked in order (#1 being the best player you think, etc). I will tally these results and make the announcement Thursday of next week (May 21). All NC players and coaches are eligible to vote.

Paper ballots will be available Saturday at NCOAST.

Eric
Staircase Groupie
Kimahri

Speaking of NCOAST, here are some quick results from it. I've heard that official stats etc. will be up soon, but in the meantime here's the information I managed to remember.

First place-Raleigh Charter A
Second Place-Cobra Kings
Third Place-Raleigh Charter B (I think, don't quote me on that one)

Individuals:
Peter Schultz
Sam Spaulding (Cobra Kings)
Ben Stevenson (Greensboro Day)
Kiel Williams (Early College of Guilford B)

I apologize if I got anyone's name/rank in the individual scoring incorrect, but I'm pretty sure that was the top four.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Actual results:

1. Raleigh Charter A
2. Cobra Kings
3. Early College of Guilford A
4. Greensboro Day

playoff and prelim stats are up.

Stat note: NE Guilford did not return for the playoffs even though the entire field advanced; divisions listed in the playoff file are irrelevant.

Eric
Last edited by rchschem on Mon May 18, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
smithp5
Wakka

Post by smithp5 »

FYI--ECG A was the other semi-finalist team :-)

All of the other results agree with what I had.
Paul Smith
Coach, The Early College at Guilford
SpauldingQB
Lulu

Post by SpauldingQB »

Solid. Everything looks good and right. Thanks for hosting a great tournament guys, we had a blast

Sam Spaulding, Yale 2013
pln09
Kimahri

Post by pln09 »

pln09 wrote:Ben Stevenson should benefit from my absence, and I'd dare to say he has an off chance at all-state.
Called it!

Congrats to Raleigh Charter and Hoggard. Looks like it was a solid tournament. Wish I could have been there.

Quick question: were there bounce-backs? It looks like there were.
Patrick Nolan
UNC-Chapel Hill '13
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

pln09 wrote:
Quick question: were there bounce-backs? It looks like there were.
No. It was a time thing - considering the low bonus conversion across the board bouncebacks would have added an hour to the tournament.

Eric
rchschem
Yuna

NC All Star Team

Post by rchschem »

After tallying the votes submitted by players and coaches, I present to you the 2009 NC Quiz Bowl All-Star Team:

Peter Schultz (RCHS)
Patrick Nolan (Greensboro Day)
Sam Spauling (Cobra Kings)
Arthur Kim (East Chapel Hill)
Richard Deans (Rocky Mount)
Kiel Williams (Early College of Guilford)
Ben Stevenson (Greensboro Day)
Allie Russell (JM Robinson)

Others receiving votes: Matthew Draelos (Early College of Guilford), Daniel Smith (RCHS), Redmond Self (RCHS), Saumil Jariwala (NCSSM), Devin Bailey (Andrews), Brendan Burns (RCHS), Neal Myers-Perry (East Chapel Hill)

Congratulations to all players. There are a lot of strong returning players in the list of top performers for the season. Consider a trip to ACE Quiz Bowl Camp to develop your skills over the summer.
SpauldingQB
Lulu

Post by SpauldingQB »

Is ACE camp any good? I might recommend it to a few of my freshman if its worth it. Always wanted to go myself, but never really had the time

Sam Spaulding, Yale 2013