H.S. Celebrity Shootout (10/25/08) @ CWRU (Cleveland, OH)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
swwFCqb
Rikku

H.S. Celebrity Shootout (10/25/08) @ CWRU (Cleveland, OH)

Post by swwFCqb »

This is Steven Wellstead, President of the Case Western Reserve University Trivia Club, and I am pleased to announce that CWRU will be again hosting its annual High School Celebrity Shootout on October 25th, 2008.

For those of you unfamiliar with Celeb Shoot, it is a mixed individual and team competition in which all of the answers are individuals (thus, the “Celebrity” part of the competition’s name). Play does not involve the use of buzzers, instead making use of worksheets. The preliminary round is an individual worksheet round. Questions in this round vary by point total (the more points for the harder it is), and each individual is graded on their performance. The second and third rounds are team rounds. For the second round, teams work together to answer questions, while for the third round, the team designates an individual from their team to answer the questions. Throughout both of these rounds, team scores are tallied. For the fourth and final round, all players are brought back for an individual single elim tournament, in which players are seeded according to how well they did on the worksheet in the preliminary round. Prizes (which have not yet been determined) will be awarded to, but not necessarily limited to, the top 3 team scores throughout the second and third rounds as well as the top 3 individual scores during the preliminary worksheet round.

The cost of participating in the tournament is $40 for the first team of four, then $5 per player after that. A $10 discount will be given for those teams that attend the trash tournament being held at CWRU the week before, on October 18th, 2008 (for more information on that tournament, email me). With the cheap registration fee, this tournament is a great chance for you to bring your younger and less experienced players and get them exposed to quizbowl competition. As you can tell from the format, Celeb Shoot may not be quiz bowl in the truest sense, but it is an interesting and fun format that gives all players (and even coaches) a chance to play and compete against others at a cheap price.

If you are interested in possibly attending this tournament, please either post in this forum or email me at [email protected] with the subject line “Celeb Shoot” or something similar.

I look forward to seeing some of you in Cleveland in October.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Re: H.S. Celebrity Shootout (10/25/08) @ CWRU (Cleveland, OH)

Post by DrakeRQB »

Is this going to be mirrored at Duke?
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Moved non-quizbowl event of interest to quizbowl players to Misc HSQB.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

DrakeRQB wrote:Is this going to be mirrored at Duke?
Dr Chuck was talking about doing it, but I'm not sure if they worked things out to do so. I'm sure he could clarify things, though.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Field Update: (as of 10/20)

Confirmed:
Detroit Central Catholic x3
Kenston x2
Madison x2
Richmond Heights ?
Solon x2

Expressed Interest:
Garfield Heights
Southeast
University School
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Surprised Copley won't be making it, as well as other schools who do qb stuff.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

First Chairman wrote:Surprised Copley won't be making it, as well as other schools who do qb stuff.
I'm sure there are several teams who aren't making it due to the fact that Fisher Catholic and Carnegie Mellon are hosting tournaments on the same date.

As for Copley, they haven't attended a Case tournament since that Great Lakes debacle in '07. Even though we're under new [and better] management, it'll probably be tough to get them to come back after what happened.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Results:
7 schools and 37 students come to CWRU to participate in the 2008 HS Celeb Shootout. Richmond Heights brought only 2 kids, so they teamed up with 2 kids from Solon for the team rounds.

Preliminary Test:
Rank - Player - School - Score
1) Bryan - DCC - 124
2) Kayvon DCC - 109
3) Michael - DCC - 82
4) Sean - DCC - 75
5) Ronjon - Kenston - 67
6) Jack - Garfield Heights - 67
7) George - DCC - 65
8) Partik - Solon - 65
9) Nishanth - Solon - 64
10) Michael - University - 61
11) Connor Teevens - DCC - 56
12) Rexy - Garfield Heights - 53
13) Darin - Solon - 52

* In case of ties, they were broken by who had most 4 point questions, then 3 point questions, etc.

Team Rounds:
Rank - Team - Score
1) DCC A - 1040
2) Solon - 690
3) Kenston - 650
4) Garfield Heights - 640
5) University - 620
6) DCC B - 560
7) Coaches - 510
8) DCC C - 450
9) Madison - 390
10) Richmond Heights/extra Solon kids - 330

*Coaches consisted of Bob Wieser from Solon, Richmond Heights' coach, and Kenston's coach

Shootout Results:

Championship Match:
1) Kayvon - DCC - 20 (beat Connor in semis)
2) Brian - DCC - 19 (beat Rexy in semis)

3rd place match:
3) Rexy - Garfield Heights - 7
4) Connor - DCC - 4

Congrats to DCC for their thorough dominance of the field. Thanks again to all the teams who came out.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

General question here. I love this tournament, regardless of whether it is viewed as proper quizbowl or not. But I have a rules question. Why is there no consistency in the specification of first names or first initials across the rounds? For example, in the prelim test Lighthorse Harry Lee required a first initial, but in later rounds, "Strauss" required no differentiation between Johann or Richard, and "Hepburn" didn't require identifying Audrey or Katherine.

The tournament admins have the right to decide whether or not this should be required; I have my own opinion, but that's not relevant. It's the consistency issue I'm interested in.

I attended the Duke version, if that makes any difference in how the tourney was executed.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

It's usually just my fault or call when it comes to the initials and consistency of the first initials or names. I think when the answer keys are created, some of the formatting gets skewed from the different authors, and often I'll miss.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---