Tennessee '08-'09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
chemqueen2
Lulu

Tennessee '08-'09

Post by chemqueen2 »

Anyone?
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: Tennessee '08-'09

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Actually, I'd be interested to know what kind of quizbowl scene there is in TN - I know MLK plays and possibly Oak Ridge as well, but I'm sure many other people would love to know what kind of quizbowl exists.

What school are you from? (And, unless it's in Nashville or Memphis, where is that, as I know little about TN geography?)
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Ezell-Harding is an active team in Tennessee - I know they traveled to a Harding (AR) tournament and made the finals, and often went to Panasonic, along with hosting a widely attended tournament and going to stuff like Vanderbilt and other SE tournaments. I honestly have no idea why they never go to NAQT or PACE because I think they'd be able to do OK there. A decent number of Tennessee teams go to Vandy, and I think there are some local-ish events. Cookeville used to have a dominant team, but they seem to have fallen by the wayside.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Greg, if you're saying "possibly Oak Ridge" because of me, I can assure you that they have become close to inactive since I left (actually, they probably were fairly active in the next year, but after that...).

Oddly enough, I never played MLK in high school, despite going to a number of in-state tournaments; perhaps they didn't attend nearly as many until Dallas was there.

There's a TACA state championship, Steinhice and Vandy both run things, and I don't know how true it is now, but Cookeville used to run events regularly. Cookeville was a dominant team for a few years when they had Bobby Liu, but after his graduation they fell off quite a bit. Before them, Murfreesboro Riverdale had a good team for a couple of years.

Teams like Webb (from Bell Buckle, not to be confused with the related Webb School of Knoxville) and Knox West have some history, and Ezell-Harding has certainly been fairly dominant within the state for a number of years. However, I know basically nothing about any quizbowl that may happen in the Memphis area or the rest of West Tennessee, and I never encountered any of those teams.

Most tournaments I played in high school were four-quarter with a worksheet rather than lightning rounds, and most of the tournaments i played attempted pyramidal questions with varying degrees of success.

By the way, if there are any tournaments going on in Knoxville, I would almost certainly be willing to moderate.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
chemqueen2
Lulu

Post by chemqueen2 »

I'm from Knox West in Knoxville. We've been through a couple of down years, and had to switch coaches twice. Due to the coach that just left us being a jerk, we didn't really get to play much last year, since state was during prom (even though most of us would go there instead of prom), and she had a wedding to go to during PACE, and wouldn't let us go to NAQT... Too many teams in east TN just care about scholars' bowl (our tv QB), which is full of random crap and recycled non-pyramidal questions.
Katie Fry
Knox West Co-Captain '09
TN Tech (soon to hopefully have a team)
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

You're probably not interested in ancient history, but I played for a fairly strong Cleveland team in the early 1990's. When I was a freshman the team went to nationals (I now know that it was Chip-tastic). We used to go to tournaments at Walton (GA), Vanderbilt, Dalton (GA), and Lee College as well as play in the "Toss-Up" TV tournament. I think that 3 of those tournaments still happen annually (Walton, Vandy, Dalton College). Sadly, it looks like my school does not even have a team now.

I might have the wrong impression since I am not local anymore, but it seems like the end of the "Toss-Up" show on PBS out of Chattanooga has cut participation in Southeast Tennessee. I am surprised that we don't see anything from Baylor and McCallie in Chattanooga on the circuit. Those well funded private schools competed well in everything academic and athletic when I was in High School, and I imagine if they competed now, they would perform well.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
mrsbear1024
Kimahri

Post by mrsbear1024 »

To Hilarious Bookbinder--I wish I'd read your post sooner--my team just hosted a Knoxville tournament on Oct. 11 and I would have welcomed an experienced moderator. We graduated our experienced players last year, and most of their parents graduated with them, so I had a whole set of newbies. They did quite well, though, and the tournament went smoothly. Just from the perspective of our participants, Ezell-Harding, Knoxville West, and Oak Ridge are seriously on the scene this year in Tennessee (not to mention Russell from KY), and I know MLK is strong, although they weren't at our tournament. Once I find the link to the Byko listing, I'll send the results there. Sara Baker, Christian Academy of Knoxville
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

West TN has a TV tournament, Knowledge Bowl, that pays $7,500 in scholarships to each winning team member, including alternates. Thus many of the good schools in that area and around the mid-south region (east AR, north MS, and West TN) practice that format (2/3 AUK and 1/3 current events) solely and treat pyramidal questions as "glorified practice." It's also just too far to drive to any tournaments outside of the Nashville/Mississippi/Arkansas radius for teams who don't like pyramidal questions in the first place. I've tried to encourage players at my alma mater White Station to go out more often, but it doesn't seem like West TN is going to become a quizbowl hotspot anytime soon.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
webbfeet
Lulu

Post by webbfeet »

MLK and Ezell are strong this year, as always. Hume Fogg just won MLK's tournament today, and University School made it to the finals at MLK largely because of their freshman phenom.
Ron Smith
Academic Coach
Webb School
asdf_ryan
Lulu

Post by asdf_ryan »

Lincoln County held a tournament this past Saturday. 1st place was Hoover from Alabama, 2nd was Oak Ridge, 3rd was Ezell Harding, 4th was Covenant Christian from Alabama. Quarterfinalists included Farragut, Hume Fogg, and MLK.

As far as Oak Ridge goes, we've had a pretty good year since we actually WON a tournament, something that we haven't been able to do in years. I also think that we've found a sort of team chemistry/ identity in the past tournament that helped us beat teams that we haven't beaten in many years, which is sort of a shame because our season may be over due to conflicts. (State Science Olympiad coincides with TACA state championships, and our coaches have some sort of meeting they have to go to)
Ryan Liu
Oak Ridge High School 2010
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

asdf_ryan wrote:Lincoln County held a tournament this past Saturday. 1st place was Hoover from Alabama, 2nd was Oak Ridge, 3rd was Ezell Harding, 4th was Covenant Christian from Alabama. Quarterfinalists included Farragut, Hume Fogg, and MLK.

As far as Oak Ridge goes, we've had a pretty good year since we actually WON a tournament, something that we haven't been able to do in years. I also think that we've found a sort of team chemistry/ identity in the past tournament that helped us beat teams that we haven't beaten in many years, which is sort of a shame because our season may be over due to conflicts. (State Science Olympiad coincides with TACA state championships, and our coaches have some sort of meeting they have to go to)
Hey, I'm trying to get registered as a substitute teacher for the Oak Ridge schools right now, so if I'm registered in time I could potentially be a staff advisor who takes you guys to TACA states. What's the date on that, anyhow?
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
asdf_ryan
Lulu

Post by asdf_ryan »

TACA is on March 28. Thanks for your support. But I'm not even sure if we can go to state, seeing as all 4 starters have conflicts.
Here's what's going on right now regarding conflicts.
Our starters are me, Katherine, Alborz, and Jimmy. But right now, Jimmy is a definitely no to TACA because he has a writing seminar that he signed up for in November. The rest of us are involved in State Science Olympiad... but we're seriously thinking of ditching it because the Scioly coaches pissed us off yesterday by putting us on events that we don't really like on B TEAM (because we said that we might go to quiz bowl instead).

But we (the three of us) talked about the situation, and we haven't really reached a decision. The thing about TACA is there's no material incentive. We don't earn monetary award (we do in Science olympiad) and we don't earn a trip to nationals (we do in Science Olympiad). However, if we do quiz bowl, it'd be for fun+pride.
Ryan Liu
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

asdf_ryan wrote:TACA is on March 28. Thanks for your support. But I'm not even sure if we can go to state, seeing as all 4 starters have conflicts.
Here's what's going on right now regarding conflicts.
Our starters are me, Katherine, Alborz, and Jimmy. But right now, Jimmy is a definitely no to TACA because he has a writing seminar that he signed up for in November. The rest of us are involved in State Science Olympiad... but we're seriously thinking of ditching it because the Scioly coaches pissed us off yesterday by putting us on events that we don't really like on B TEAM (because we said that we might go to quiz bowl instead).

But we (the three of us) talked about the situation, and we haven't really reached a decision. The thing about TACA is there's no material incentive. We don't earn monetary award (we do in Science olympiad) and we don't earn a trip to nationals (we do in Science Olympiad). However, if we do quiz bowl, it'd be for fun+pride.
Who's to say you don't earn a trip to nationals? You can qualify for PACE NSC, or apply to get a wild-card bid.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

PACE Qualification Rules wrote:State Championships

Any team that finishes in the top 4 of a high school quizbowl state championship tournament that does not require prior qualification at another tournament may claim automatic qualifier status.

Any team that qualifies for a high school quizbowl state championship tournament that does require prior qualification at another tournament may claim automatic qualifier status.
Basically, if you went, and finished in the top 4, you'd qualify for the NSC.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
asdf_ryan
Lulu

Post by asdf_ryan »

Well, TN TACA state championship does require that you attend at least 5 tournaments throughout the year (which we did) and that you get quarterfinalist standing in at least one of them (which we did in all 5). Does that mean we qualify? :)

I just looked up PACE. Looks fun, I really want to do it, but it depends on how my teammates will like it (and if our coach lets us...)
Ryan Liu
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

asdf_ryan wrote:Well, TN TACA state championship does require that you attend at least 5 tournaments throughout the year (which we did) and that you get quarterfinalist standing in at least one of them (which we did in all 5). Does that mean we qualify? :)

I just looked up PACE. Looks fun, I really want to do it, but it depends on how my teammates will like it (and if our coach lets us...)
As the person responsible for determining which teams have qualified for the NSC, I can tell you that the TACA State Tournament is considered one of the state championships defined in the latter part of the qualification guidelines: that is, every team that qualifies for the TACA State Tournament also qualifies for the PACE NSC.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
chemqueen2
Lulu

Post by chemqueen2 »

asdf_ryan wrote:I just looked up PACE. Looks fun, I really want to do it, but it depends on how my teammates will like it (and if our coach lets us...)

Ditto for me and my team. I thought we had to place at TACA to qualify, but we're already qualified for TACA. Our coaches letting us is our main issue....they're new and hesitant to do anything.
Katie Fry
Knox West Co-Captain '09
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

chemqueen2 wrote:
asdf_ryan wrote:I just looked up PACE. Looks fun, I really want to do it, but it depends on how my teammates will like it (and if our coach lets us...)

Ditto for me and my team. I thought we had to place at TACA to qualify, but we're already qualified for TACA. Our coaches letting us is our main issue....they're new and hesitant to do anything.
If you want, I can talk to your coaches and tell them about PACE.
Evan
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
asdf_ryan
Lulu

Post by asdf_ryan »

Looks like we won't be able to go to PACE. Our coach isn't going to let us, for financial and organizational reasons.

At this rate... I'm not even sure if we can even go to TACA X_X
Ryan Liu
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

Actually the winning team at TACA State does win a $1000 prize to defray national tournament expenses for whatever tourney they choose to attend.
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
Tennessee Academic Coaches Association
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

This weekend in Nashville, the Vanderbilt tournament will host Ezell-Harding, Columbia Central, Ensworth, Hume-Fogg, Lincoln County, MLK, and the University School.

The tournament will be a good one, with Hoover joining from Alabama, and Dunbar from Kentucky, along with several other teams.

Ezell-Harding's JV will also play.

Joe
James Island '10
Last edited by scquizbowl on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
James Island '10
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

scquizbowl wrote:This weekend in Nashville, the Vanderbilt tournament will host Ezell-Harding, Columbia Central, Ensworth, Hume-Fogg, Lincoln County, MLK, and the University School.

The tournament will be a good one, with Hoover joining from Alabama, and Dunbar from Kentucky.

Ezell-Harding's JV will also play.

Joe
James Island '10
Okay.... I don't mean to be rude. Why do you feel you have to clarify the obvious on most stuff involving quizbowl?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:
Stop posting.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Okay i'm sorry. Have I done anything wrong though?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
chemqueen2
Lulu

Post by chemqueen2 »

Knox West A won UTC last weekend...but sadly we'll be missing our top scorer at state.
Katie Fry
Knox West Co-Captain '09
tnormfrank
Lulu

Tennessee State Tournament Results

Post by tnormfrank »

Martin Luther King Magnet School claimed its fourth consecutive state title in this weekend’s Tennessee state tournament. MLK finished with a 12-1 record in the round-robin tournament losing only to Ezell-Harding. Ezell-Harding also finished at 12-1 (losing to Hume-Fogg Magnet) to finish second on the basis of total points which is the Tennessee tie-breaker. Hume-Fogg placed third at 11-2 (losing to MLK and Columbia Central). Congratulations to Coach Nancy Howell and her team and good luck at nationals.
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
tnormfrank
Lulu

Tennessee All-State Team Announced

Post by tnormfrank »

The following students have been selected by the membership of the Tennessee Academic Coaches Association as this year's TACA All-State Academic Team:

Mark Arildsen (University School of Nashville)

Ian Boothby (Hume Fogg)

Nick Conley (Ezell-Harding)

Kim Counts (CAK)

Sarah Craig (West)

Matthew Gidcomb (Columbia Central)

Cody Simons (MLK)

Ben Stone (Lincoln County)
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS