Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
Posts: 1947
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by the return of AHAN » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:11 am

From an e-mail that landed in my inbox:
------------------------------------------------
Chip Beall wrote:Dear Coach,


The Junior National Academic Championship is a great way to bring an
inspiring close to an outstanding team's season. Mark your calendar now and
plan to celebrate a successful season of academic competition by bringing
your junior high or middle school quiz bowl team to Washington DC, June
5-7.


Please check our website QUnlimited.com for further details on the 2009
Junior NAC, as well as results from the 2008 national tournament.


We hope you decide to accept the challenge.

Questions from the 2008 Junior National Academic Championship are now
available. Visit http://www.QUnlimited.com to find the buy-one-get-one-free
coupon.

National Academic Association
1540 Siesta Dr.
Sandy, UT 84093
801/947-8448
:chip: , Director
For the record, Illinois schools that are members of the IESA are prohibited from participating in such an event as the travel is beyond the allowed range (neighboring states permitted, but even those have to be approved by the IESA).

Let the rip-fest begin... :wink:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:48 am

This is not new, right?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
quizbowllee
Auron
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:12 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by quizbowllee » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:09 am

NAQT should do a middle school National Tournament using A-Series questions. Those would be perfect. I use A-series questions with my middle schoolers in practice. They do relatively well on them. Even the absolute newbies can score at least some points.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4061
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Yeah, as the posted e-mail itself says, this also happened last year and is kind of old news.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by at your pleasure » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm

NAQT should do a middle school National Tournament using A-Series questions. Those would be perfect. I use A-series questions with my middle schoolers in practice. They do relatively well on them. Even the absolute newbies can score at least some points.
I am seriously considering getting my teammates to help plan a Middle School tournament. As it is, I think middle school nationals are not happening without a middle school curcit, paticuarly since they can't really come to HS tournaments in the say way thas high school students can play at college tournaments. If we want to expand quizbowl into middle schools ,we need to foster a curicit.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Middle schoolers certainly have a history of attending HS tournaments.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
ClemsonQB
Tidus
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Clemson, SC
Contact:

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by ClemsonQB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:46 pm

Constantin Constantius wrote:Middle schoolers certainly have a history of attending HS tournaments.
Yeah, the Cav Challenge at Dorman annually has at least ten middle schools teams attend I want to say.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012

User avatar
Matthew D
Yuna
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Scenic Grant Alabama

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by Matthew D » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:27 pm

I think that there is a plan in the works for an NAQT middle school championship. I know I am going to host the NAQT middle school state again this year in Alabama with IS-84A on April 4th...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team

User avatar
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Orlando, Fl

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Some Junior NAC questions include: (These are actual Junior NAC questions from last year's Junior NAC sent via e-mail to my coach from Chip)

Rome is the capital of Italy, why?

When he discovered America he said "ah land I have found it" who is this sailor?

spell goulash

The 60 seconds round includes a human body theme: Given the name of an anatomical object state if it is a muscle or bone?

P.S: This was my coach who e-mailed out of curiosity to get info on the Junior NAC, and Chip sent a question packet from a game at last years NAC
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013

User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
Posts: 4635
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by Deviant Insider » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:10 pm

What's the given answer to the question about Rome?
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

User avatar
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Orlando, Fl

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:15 pm

Shcool wrote:What's the given answer to the question about Rome?
Because it is situated on seven hills :oops: :oops: :oops:
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by at your pleasure » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Shcool wrote:
What's the given answer to the question about Rome?

Because it is situated on seven hills
That makes no sense whatsoever.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Orlando, Fl

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:23 pm

According to :chip: it does, but then again it's :chip:
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013

evilmonkey
Yuna
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by evilmonkey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:
Shcool wrote:What's the given answer to the question about Rome?
Because it is situated on seven hills :oops: :oops: :oops:
That questions is pretty horrible. Like, thats on par with the popsicle stick riddle questions. I don't know if anyone could answer that right.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15

User avatar
Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite
Auron
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:36 pm

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:
Shcool wrote:What's the given answer to the question about Rome?
Because it is situated on seven hills :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ba-dum-tish?
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13
VP of Technology, PACE
Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food

User avatar
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:33 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Contact:

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:
Shcool wrote:What's the given answer to the question about Rome?
Because it is situated on seven hills :oops: :oops: :oops:
Brilliant!
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12

User avatar
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston, IL

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:Rome is the capital of Italy, why?
Another example of how "questions starting with 'why' make great tossups".
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)

User avatar
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:07 pm

rienzi0711 wrote:
Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:Rome is the capital of Italy, why?
Another example of how "questions starting with 'why' make great tossups".
You know, I find it amusing that neither this nor the example in your signature actually starts with 'why'.
Chris Kennedy, MIT

User avatar
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:33 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Contact:

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:02 pm

The Logic of Scientific Disco wrote:
rienzi0711 wrote:
Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:Rome is the capital of Italy, why?
Another example of how "questions starting with 'why' make great tossups".
You know, I find it amusing that neither this nor the example in your signature actually starts with 'why'.
Technically, the only part of either of those tossups that is a question is the final sentence (I'm assuming the Italy tossup actually had a period there instead of a comma in order to be an actual 2 sentences instead of just 1 run-on). So technically, the "questions" do start with why; however, I do see your point and I wonder why I didn't notice this earlier.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12

User avatar
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston, IL

Re: Chip presents... Junor NAC!

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:50 pm

The Logic of Scientific Disco wrote:
rienzi0711 wrote:
Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:Rome is the capital of Italy, why?
Another example of how "questions starting with 'why' make great tossups".
You know, I find it amusing that neither this nor the example in your signature actually starts with 'why'.
You should tell :chip: that.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)

Locked