DACQ issues

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

DACQ issues

Post by Joshua Rutsky » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:19 pm

It pains me to post this, as I don't like the feeling that I am calling out someone publicly, but I am wondering if anyone else has received any sort of satisfaction following last year's DACQ debacle? I was as patient as I could be with DACQ, remained polite, and even tried to come to an accomodation with the folks there about the possibility of applying the balance of the money I paid for product never received (despite repeated assurances that it was forthcoming) to custom questions for our tournament this year, which I would have gladly done to try to help out people who, I think, were trying to do something positive for quizbowl. After getting a "well, maybe, but probably not..." response, I wrote again later and received no answer.

Has anyone else gotten any materials, questions, etc. from after December of 07? I was expecting six more packets, including the Dynasty preparation kit, whatever that was, and am more disappointed that I have received no apology, no statement that "we just sorta blew it and went under, sorry, no questions coming, don't call us, your money is gone" than anything else...I see that some of the people on staff are still writing for tournaments, and it wouldn't have been a big deal to just say "hey, I'm doing this now, but I'll send you a set of the rounds from that tourney after the play date, and that'll make up for what you lost."
Joshua Rutsky
Coach, Hoover High School, Hoover, AL
Member of the Qwiz Team!

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: DACQ issues

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:43 pm

I know I got a copy of the nationals prep kit, but am equally confused as to what happened to the regular spring sets.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Deviant Insider
Auron

Post by Deviant Insider » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Chris Ray will soon post in this thread saying that he is sorry and that he will make amends. Next month, we will find out that he hasn't made amends, but he is still sorry and still planning to make amends. He may claim that he tried to email everybody but was unable to due to the difficulty of sending emails to people who sent him money and emails.

If there is an Emperor Ray Quotient, then it equals you will get your money back when you take legal action.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Let me prefact this my saying that I have no definitive knowledge about DACQ or Chris' reimbursement plan. However, I heard that Chris was writing a tournament for the Weekend of Quizbowl and he was planning to offer teams he owes money free admission or a free copy of the questions.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:34 pm

My understanding was that the remaining outstanding questions were being written recently, but that's as far as I know.
George Berry
georgeberry.vcu@gmail.com
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:50 pm

It pains me to post this, as I don't like the feeling that I am calling out someone publicly, but I am wondering if anyone else has received any sort of satisfaction following last year's DACQ debacle? I was as patient as I could be with DACQ, remained polite, and even tried to come to an accomodation with the folks there about the possibility of applying the balance of the money I paid for product never received (despite repeated assurances that it was forthcoming) to custom questions for our tournament this year, which I would have gladly done to try to help out people who, I think, were trying to do something positive for quizbowl. After getting a "well, maybe, but probably not..." response, I wrote again later and received no answer.

Has anyone else gotten any materials, questions, etc. from after December of 07? I was expecting six more packets, including the Dynasty preparation kit, whatever that was, and am more disappointed that I have received no apology, no statement that "we just sorta blew it and went under, sorry, no questions coming, don't call us, your money is gone" than anything else...I see that some of the people on staff are still writing for tournaments, and it wouldn't have been a big deal to just say "hey, I'm doing this now, but I'll send you a set of the rounds from that tourney after the play date, and that'll make up for what you lost."
Everyone should have received all but the final four months - certainly there have been a number of emails since December. I have also not heard from you recently at all - I believe I may not have your email on the mailing list, which is quite embarrassingly my mistake. Everyone should have received an update email with additional questions explaining the delay, and that we were committed to finishing the questions and getting them to people, along with compensation in some combination of returned money, free questions, or heavy discounts to the Weekend of Quizbowl. We're not taking anyone's money and running - we're currently contracting some of the remaining work to various responsible people, in the interest of getting things done as soon as possible.

There's no weaseling going on here - we screwed up, we're going to finish what we promised to do, and compensate teams who received questions later than they should have.

EDIT: Despite Reinstein's bizarre attempts to criticize a post I made in an unrelated thread and assertion that I'm deliberately dodging emails, if you haven't received a recent contact from me, please email me immediately. If you're concerned that you can't get in touch with me that way, please call me at <EDIT: removed 6/13> - I'm very much not trying to avoid anyone.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:22 pm

I know I got a copy of the nationals prep kit, but am equally confused as to what happened to the regular spring sets.
To my knowledge, we at Rockford Auburn HS never received the nationals prep kit, even though (I'm fairly sure) we paid for the whole package.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09