BAIT (March 7, 2009) @ UCLA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Golran
Auron

BAIT (March 7, 2009) @ UCLA

Post by Golran »

UCLA would like to announce BAIT (Bruin Academic Invitational Tournament) to be held on March 7th, 2009.

DATE: The tournament will be held on March 7th, 2009, 1 week after Arcadia's Carnal Embrace III

FORMAT: The tournament will be a West Coast mirror of BATE, whose announcement can be find here. The set is a mACF 20/20 format.

ELIGIBILITY: This tournament is for High School teams.

PRICING STRUCTURE:
Base fee = $80
-$5 for a fully-functional buzzer system (Must have at least four working buzzers on both sides)
-$10 for a pre-approved moderator
-$10 for the second team from a school
-$20 for the third (or additional) team from a school
-$10 / 300 miles travel discount
Minimum fee = $50

Please make checks payable to "College Bowl Club of UCLA." Please do not make a check out to any other person or entity, including "UCLA Quiz Bowl," as we cannot cash those checks.

The cap is unofficially going to be set at 24.

The tournament director(s) is/are Ian Drayer and Tirth Patel. If you are interested in attending, please e-mail either of us at Golran-at-ucla.edu or tirthkpatel-at-gmail.com with the following information:

1) Your school's name
2) Coach (or representative) name and e-mail address
3) The number of teams you are bringing
4) The number of buzzer systems, and/or moderators you would like to bring

If you have any questions about any of this, please e-mail us.

We will announce the format as the time draws closer and we get a better idea of field size. The morning will probably be a round robin format, and the afternoon should be a bracketed round-robin.

Thanks and hope to see you in March,
Ian Drayer
Tirth Patel
Tournament Directors, BAIT
Last edited by Golran on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Re: BAIT (March 7, 2009) @ UCLA

Post by Golran »

Field as of February 18, 2009:

North Hollywood (3)
Edison (1-2)
Dana Hills (1)
Arcadia (2)
Last edited by Golran on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

This tournament has been added to the tournament database in case anybody was interested.

I would also like to know how interested teams are so I can go ahead and know exactly how many rooms to reserve next week. I'm currently leaning towards 12 rooms, with no dedicated stats room since I am planning on using Avram's stats-keeping system, but if the field seems to be larger than 24 I would like to know sooner rather than later so I can reserve the right number of rooms and not have to turn people away.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

dinoian wrote:I would also like to know how interested teams are so I can go ahead and know exactly how many rooms to reserve next week.
1. Teams will probably not give actual interest until much later. They may express tentative interest now, but nothing for certain probably until January.

2. You should really send out an official announcement to [email protected], since there's only like 5 schools that actually read this board, and all you've done is update a calendar that I don't think people read.
dinoian wrote:if the field seems to be larger than 24 I would like to know sooner rather than later so I can reserve the right number of rooms
1. Unless I completely overlooked something in 4 years at UCLA, you don't get discounts on room reservation fees for reserving the tournament 3 months in advance. In fact, unless they changed the rules since I've been there, you'll lose money by reserving more rooms than you have to. As long as you send in the reservation request more than a week before the tournament, you should be fine. Also, you'll need a lecture hall for teams to meet in the morning, unless you plan on them waiting in the hallway or something, so you might as well use that room for stats and packet security purposes.

2. Unless they changed the rules, you need to be a club signatory to reserve rooms. I would hazard a guess that you aren't one, but since that whole club seems extremely decentralized with no clear person or people "in charge" of the club I really don't know.

3. You will not have more than 24 teams.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

cvdwightw wrote:
3. You will not have more than 24 teams.
Optimism Dwight!
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
tracyclee
Lulu

Post by tracyclee »

Seeing as how the last three tourneys have all been canceled, he might have a point. But God knows we'll still try to go.
Tracy Lee
Arcadia High School '09
Chicago '13
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

OK, I'm a little bit OCD about reserving stuff ahead of time and logistics, I always have airline tickets at least a year in advance etc. so that I know everything should go well. You're completely right that I'm not a signatory, but I was going to pick up and fill out whatever paperwork I could on Monday, then talk with one of the signatories for whatever they need to do with it.

I'll send that announcement to the list tonight, see what I get back.

And yes, I can always hope to have more than 24 teams.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
chemistryguy
Kimahri

Post by chemistryguy »

One team from Edison is an absolute certainty, and two is very likely.
Marcos Cabrera
Edison High School
Academic Competition
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

This just in! PACE affiliation! This means that the top two teams if the field is less than 20, the top 4 if the field is 20-39, and the top 8 if the field is 40+ teams! So the more teams you register, the more teams can go to PACE-NSC!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

A little bit more information:

We currently have reserved 5 rooms, as only 5 teams have registered, however if more than 10 total teams register we can reserve more rooms in a nearby building. The current tentative plan is to meet in:

Kerkhoff 131 at 9:00 AM for registration
then to begin gameplay around 9:30

Again, please e-mail me sooner rather than later with your interest in coming so I can have the right amount of rooms reserved far enough in advance to prevent headaches.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

SAMO is trying to get a team there, chances are good as of now

EDIT: Check that, it's on the same day as a certamen tournament. That's annoying...
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'd like to have a registration deadline of February 25. for this so that I can be sure of the number of rooms. If we do not reach 10 teams by then, registration will remain open until we do, or March 6 at 8 pm. Please e-mail Golran at ucla dot edu to register, or post on the forums to let me know you intend to come. We are also in need of buzzers if possible, as we have 2 from the club, yet none volunteered from outside.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I would like to let everyone know that this tournament will be happening, unless for some reason half the field drops on us. As always, more registrations are welcome.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

So February 25th has come and passed, and we are still beneath 10 teams. That said, registration will remain open until we achieve 10 teams. Additionally, we are in need of buzzer systems for use, please contact me if you can bring any.

Also, can I have a representative from Edison please send me an e-mail so that I can get contact information, and let me know exactly how many teams you will have. Thank you.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

One last announcement, the meeting room will now be Ackerman 3516, with game rooms in both Ackerman and Kerkhoff (they are connected by a small bridge).
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

BTW how many teams are registered?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

There are 6-8, as Edison never got back to me with how many they will be bringing. If 6, there will be a double round robin, if more single round robin followed by rebracketing, either 4-3 or 4-4, as there are 10 packets plus finals in the set. Finals will be played if no team clears the field by 2, if by 1 is an advantaged final, if tied 1 game final.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Short Results:

Original round robin in parenthesis

1) North Hollywood A 10-0 (7-0)
2) Edison A 7-3 (6-1)
3) Arcadia A 6-4 (4-3)
4) Arcadia B 4-6 (4-3)
-----------------------
5) North Hollywood B 7-3 (4-3)
6) Edison B 3-7 (1-6)
7) Dana Hills 2-8 (1-6)
8) North Hollywood C 1-9 (1-6)

The Trout of North Hollywood A won the Individual scoring at around 50 ppg.
The neg prize of "Gut Instincts" went to Kite-Eating Tree with 12 negs in the preliminaries.

What do I need to do to submit this to PACE so the top teams get invitations?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Julie RS
Lulu

Post by Julie RS »

I lost a red camera in a black case at the tournament. If anyone found it, I would appreciate having it returned to me.

Julie
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

dinoian wrote:What do I need to do to submit this to PACE so the top teams get invitations?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6195
FredMorlan wrote: Process:

In order to have your tournament accredited qualification status, you have only to send an e-mail to Fred Morlan at [email protected] . In the e-mail, you should verify that your tournament meets the prerequisites listed above by identifying the source of your questions and, if it has been determined, describing your tournament format. PACE will review your e-mail and either send you an e-mail approving your tournament (after which you can advertise it as such), or send you an e-mail explaining the reason why it wasn’t accepted and suggest methods of resolving the problem.

Thanks to Trygve Meade for his work on this policy!

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I already had PACE affiliation, but I am not sure what to do with the results now so the teams get their bids, i.e. who to e-mail stats to.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

dinoian wrote:I already had PACE affiliation, but I am not sure what to do with the results now so the teams get their bids, i.e. who to e-mail stats to.
[email protected] will do it.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

FredMorlan wrote:
dinoian wrote:I already had PACE affiliation, but I am not sure what to do with the results now so the teams get their bids, i.e. who to e-mail stats to.
[email protected] will do it.
I'm still VERY confused as to how UCLA got approval, but we did not.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

At bloomfield teams were only guaranteed five rounds, while they were guaranteed ten at ucla. I'm not sure if that's the reason though
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

PACE says they must guarantee four, so I don't think that would be it.
Any tournament which uses head-to-head, two-team buzzer competition, in a format that is largely dependent on pyramidal tossups, offers all teams at least four games, is not designed exclusively for what can be considered junior varsity teams and is not known to have had major problems in the recent past, may become affiliated. To request affiliation for your tournament, contact PACE Qualification Director Fred Morlan at [email protected].
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Is there any particular reason why the second North Hollwood B - North Hollywood C game has 24 tossups heard?
cvdwightw wrote:3. You will not have more than 24 teams.
Aha! I was right!
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

There were 4 tiebreaker tossups
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

dinoian wrote:There were 4 tiebreaker tossups
I should note that qbsql does not adequately handle tiebreaker tossups; as a result, they can lead to a reduction in calculated bonus conversion. The effect should be minor. A related issue is that it does not provide a clean way of showing that certain tossups were tiebreaker questions.

These two issues will likely be fixed in a future release.
Avram Lyon
Kazan Federal University '11
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Alvin6226
Lulu

Post by Alvin6226 »

Woah @ NoHo. Was Edison and Arcadia not playing with their real A teams? Will stats be up soon?

Edit: Scratch that, thanks Dwight.
Alvin Bui
Santa Monica B
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Stats are already up.

Also re: camera, I did not find it, and nobody handed a camera in as lost, so I'm sorry about it, but I'm not sure what happened.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated