Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
User avatar
ExcessStrausses
Lulu
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Stuyvesant
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by ExcessStrausses »

Overall, an excellent tournament. Well run, good questions, free food--everything went well. We had one issue with a moderator who had quite a bit of trouble enunciating and peppered everything with a generous layer of "ums", but it wasn't a major issue and the other facets of the tournament made up for it.
Aidan Bonner, Stuyvesant, NYC
I'm bad at signatures.

User avatar
TheCzarMan
Tidus
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:29 pm
Location: Bloomfield, New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by TheCzarMan »

ExcessStrausses wrote:Overall, an excellent tournament. Well run, good questions, free food--everything went well. We had one issue with a moderator who had quite a bit of trouble enunciating and peppered everything with a generous layer of "ums", but it wasn't a major issue and the other facets of the tournament made up for it.

The small asian kid in 220?
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader

User avatar
ExcessStrausses
Lulu
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Stuyvesant
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by ExcessStrausses »

TheCzarMan wrote: The small asian kid in 220?
Yep. I can't much fault him because I think he was only a 7th grader, but still...
Aidan Bonner, Stuyvesant, NYC
I'm bad at signatures.

User avatar
Rompimientos del Centauro
Lulu
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: NY

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Rompimientos del Centauro »

He was an eighth grader, believe it or not.
Granted, he was the last resort, as there was a dearth in readers and he was deemed most fit of the others.
York Chen
Hunter '12
Vassar '16

User avatar
moskatoe
Lulu
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:33 am

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by moskatoe »

Congratulations to State College A for winning the tournament on Round 2 of the advantaged final !

Congratulations to Dorman and Charter A for 2nd and 3rd place respectively.
Tony Cheng
Hunter College High School
http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

State College A 26.91PPB, Charter A 26.75PPB, Dorman 25.69PPB...

Wow.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
fleurdelivre
Tidus
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:35 am
Location: ???

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by fleurdelivre »

TheCzarMan wrote:What happened to Gorman exactly? I heard he missed a couple buzzer races and sort of fizzled out.
If by "fizzled out," you mean "started dropping f-bombs after every lost buzzer race," you'd be more or less right.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

He still got 80 PPG though. And it's not like him getting 5 and 6 questions right in his last two games is bad.

Actually, is that first game against Livingston C right? http://www.taftqb.com/t/prisonbowlii/games/view/1124 I see Henry with just two right and another teammate with ten. And since i know that other teammate ain't Neeraj, it's probably not accurate.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
Sir Thopas
Auron
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Hunter, NYC
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Sir Thopas »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:He still got 80 PPG though. And it's not like him getting 5 and 6 questions right in his last two games is bad.

Actually, is that first game against Livingston C right? http://www.taftqb.com/t/prisonbowlii/games/view/1124 I see Henry with just two right and another teammate with ten. And since i know that other teammate ain't Neeraj, it's probably not accurate.
Switched those two, thanks.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Wasn't Mount Pleasant supposed to be going to this tournament?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey:

It is not appropriate to call out specific high schoolers by name (or middle schoolers by ethnic description) for things like "only finishing third rather than first at a very competitive tournament" or for hardly-new behavioral things. People who have not seen someone scream "f---" at a quizbowl tournament before must have been going to different tournaments than me. In any case, we have a rule regarding calling people out for behavior that says you should first "attempt to resolve the situation elsewhere" before posting about it, as well as only do it if you are "earnestly trying to start a discussion about how to deal with similar behavior in the future."

We do not have a rule about specifically calling out people for not winning tournaments, because I thought that would be a very common-sense thing that didn't need to be spelled out, but apparently I was wrong, so I will ask Fred to make a rule about this soon.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
Sir Thopas
Auron
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Hunter, NYC
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Sir Thopas »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Wasn't Mount Pleasant supposed to be going to this tournament?
They pulled out a day or two before, unfortunately.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Sir Thopas wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Wasn't Mount Pleasant supposed to be going to this tournament?
They pulled out a day or two before, unfortunately.
Ah, that's a shame. Well, maybe they can come to Walter Johnson in a couple weeks. Always good to see other Delaware teams actually doing something other than us and Charter.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
Sacapuntas
Lulu
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by Sacapuntas »

We'll see. We're sorry that we were unable to get to Prison Bowl.
Peter Andrews
Captain, Mount Pleasant High School '10
Columbia '14

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

User avatar
fleurdelivre
Tidus
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:35 am
Location: ???

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by fleurdelivre »

Matt Weiner wrote:Hey:

It is not appropriate to call out specific high schoolers by name (or middle schoolers by ethnic description) for things like "only finishing third rather than first at a very competitive tournament" or for hardly-new behavioral things. People who have not seen someone scream "f---" at a quizbowl tournament before must have been going to different tournaments than me. In any case, we have a rule regarding calling people out for behavior that says you should first "attempt to resolve the situation elsewhere" before posting about it, as well as only do it if you are "earnestly trying to start a discussion about how to deal with similar behavior in the future."

We do not have a rule about specifically calling out people for not winning tournaments, because I thought that would be a very common-sense thing that didn't need to be spelled out, but apparently I was wrong, so I will ask Fred to make a rule about this soon.
I apologize - I wasn't 1) attempting to call anyone out - while the game in question was memorable, my comment wasn't intended as scolding (as indeed, this is something I'm used to) or 2) intending to insult Henry, who still played quite a game even despite the combination of bad luck and high emotions. As such, I certainly didn't "attempt to resolve" a non-existent situation - it had no real impact on the match and was mentioned only in response to a direct question as to how the game had gone. My own tone was one of snark, perhaps something I get away with more easily in the college sections.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator

User avatar
btressler
Tidus
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:23 pm
Location: West Chester, PA
Contact:

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by btressler »

Please never hesitate to (a) come get me during a tournament or (b) contact me afterward if one of my players can't behave him or herself.

This year's seniors haven't been the easiest class to coach, and in fact one person was left off this trip due to behavior.

On a brighter note, I was really encouraged by the teams not populated by seniors. The new players on "F" lost a few close ones in the first set but won all their matches in the second round robin. And teams "D" and "E" seem determined to get better just so they can beat each other.

I expect to take a big hit after graduation, but maybe the future isn't as bleak as I think.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.

User avatar
fleurdelivre
Tidus
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:35 am
Location: ???

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by fleurdelivre »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:Please never hesitate to (a) come get me during a tournament or (b) contact me afterward if one of my players can't behave him or herself.
No, seriously. There's a clear line between being (understandably) competitive and occasionally verbal when the fates seem to be working against you and genuinely unsportsmanlike behavior, and none of your team crossed it.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator

purplemiloz
Kimahri
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Prison Bowl II (1/31/09)

Post by purplemiloz »

For everyone who missed them, videos of the two finals matches between Dorman and State College will be uploaded in a few weeks, after the Walter Johnson mirror.
Maggie Tse, Hunter High School

Locked