New Trier Varsity 12/20 (IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Awehrman
Wakka

Re: New Trier Varsity 12/20 (IL)

Post by Awehrman »

I think this is probably an improvement distribution-wise, but I have a couple questions regarding the new one. Why did history draw the short straw of the big 3? It seems that science went up because of the inclusion of math (why not a separate 1/1 in non-computational math?), but why the increase in lit over history? Also, although I think it is delightfully progressive in outlook, I think having an even number of western and non-western history might cause problems (for both teams and question writers), especially since 3/3 in lit are also non-American and non-British. I think if you dropped a lit question, you could separate out some of the more unwieldy topics (current events/government/geography and trash/interdisciplinary). The trash/interdisciplinary combo seems especially odd and could result in funny round results. If instead of a sports or movie question a round has a tossup on literary references to a historical figure, for instance, it could certainly alter the outcome. I think dropping one or the other of those would help (or trimming elsewhere and giving each its own). I'm sorry I couldn't help out with the tournament this year, but next year is certainly a possibility.
Andy Wehrman
(formerly of Arkansas and Northwestern)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Awehrman wrote:I think this is probably an improvement distribution-wise, but I have a couple questions regarding the new one. Why did history draw the short straw of the big 3? It seems that science went up because of the inclusion of math (why not a separate 1/1 in non-computational math?), but why the increase in lit over history?
I'm not doing 1/1 noncomp math because I think that's too much. History drew, as you put it, the short straw of the big three because in high school, history falls under social studies. In addition to the 4/4 history, there's 3/3 more social studies-related stuff, which will have plenty of history-related clues.

I'd love to have you contribute if you're interested.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jonah wrote:In addition to the 4/4 history, there's 3/3 more social studies-related stuff, which will have plenty of history-related clues.
What's the extra 3/3 you're referring to? I could see the social science and CE/Geo/Gov' as "social studies," but what's the extra 1/1?
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The other is RMP.

This is still a work in progress, and Jonah's original suggestion had RMP as 1.5/1.5.

Putting trash and interdisciplinary together does unbalance the rounds a little bit since they can be very different, but not too much if one is 1/0 and the other 0/1 in each round.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Also, in response to a long ago post from Chris, he can mirror anything he wants from the New Trier Scholastic Bowl site at any time now and in the future.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

To tweak the distribution, the first thing I suggest is dropping a lit question and adding another 1/1 to RMP. I would also combine CE and pop culture, giving geography 1/1.
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Is 1/1 RMP 1/1 RMP, or 1/1 religion, 1/1 myth, and 1/1 philosophy?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Anti-Climacus wrote:Is 1/1 RMP 1/1 RMP, or 1/1 religion, 1/1 myth, and 1/1 philosophy?
For 2/2 RMP, I'd include at least one question on each in every round, and spread out that extra one question among the three.