ANNOUNCEMENT: EPITHET (2/14/2009) at EPHS

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

ANNOUNCEMENT: EPITHET (2/14/2009) at EPHS

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

Eden Prairie Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce that we are hosting the EPITHET Tournament on Saturday, February 14th, 2009! This will be an academic tournament mirroring questions from Prison Bowl II.

The tournament will be held at Eden Prairie High School. The main meeting spot will be the main commons area, which is nearest to the South Entrance. The school will be busy on this weekend, but parking should be available in the South lot. General information and directions to EPHS may be found at http://www.edenpr.k12.mn.us/ephs/general/maps.html.

Schedule and Tournament Brackets:
Teams may check in between 8:15 and 8:45 in the Main Commons area. At this time they will receive a copy of the rules and other pertinent information about the tournament , and may order pizza if they desire. From 8:45 to 9:00 there will be an introductory meeting (also in the Main Commons) to go over the rules, format, and schedule. Coaches and players will have an opportunity to ask questions at this time. Teams are also encouraged to ask questions in advance, over e-mail to Gaurav Kandlikar at [email protected] to make the meeting go as smoothly as possible.

Rounds will begin at 9:00. The preliminary rounds will most likely be a bracketed round robin, though this may change. There will then be playoffs with the top teams in every bracket, and there will also be consolation brackets. EVERY team plays at minimum 8 rounds during the course of the day.

Round Formats and Scoring:
Similar to NAQT tournaments, there will be tossups and bonuses each round. Tossups are answered individually, while bonuses are answered after conferring with the entire team. Each round has 20 tossups and then as many as 20 bonuses. There will be overtime questions in the event that two teams are tied at the end of 20 questions.

Question Style:
This tournament will feature well written pyramidal tossups. There will be no powers, but there will be negs. The bonuses consist of three 10-point questions each, and will be worth a total of 30 points.

Staffing:
We’ll have 16-20 competition rooms, and Eden Prairie Quiz Bowl will try and provide as many readers as possible. However, we might need some extra staffers, in which case we will contact you. Information on staffing discount will be updated as necessary.

Lunch:
Please have your team members bring money for lunch if they wish. We’ll have other snacks available for purchase as well.

Registration and Cost:
EPITHET is just $60 per team! Also, teams will have a $5 discount for each complete Quiz Bowl buzzer system you bring. You may also e-mail Jo Anne Canfield at [email protected] or Gaurav Kandlikar at [email protected] if you are interested in attending or for additional information.

Prizes:
The top two teams overall will receive team prizes and the members of the winning team will receive individual awards. We’ll also be keeping track of individual scores, and at the end of the tournament, we’ll be awarding unusual awards for unique accomplishments.

Further Questions:
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact Gaurav Kandlikar at [email protected].

Thanks, and we look forward to seeing you at EPITHET!
Last edited by gaurav.kandlikar on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
cdcarter
Yuna

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: EPITHET (2/14/2009) at EPHS

Post by cdcarter »

Hey Gaurav, South should be there with one team (hopefully something that people could call a team and not just me) and no buzzers! I will email to confirm when I have this for sure.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

gaurav.kandlikar wrote: Round Formats and Scoring:
Similar to NAQT tournaments, there will be tossups and bonuses each round. Tossups are answered individually, while bonuses are answered after conferring with the entire team. Scoring will have powers, but no negative points for buzzing in early and missing. Each round has 20 tossups and then as many as 20 bonuses. There will be overtime questions in the event that two teams are tied at the end of 20 questions.

Question Style:
This tournament will feature pyramidal tossops. There will be powers and negs. The bonuses consist of three 10-point questions each, and will be worth a total of 30 points.
Are there negs or no?
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

You quoted him saying there would be...

Anyway, I didn't realize we would be putting in powers this year. I'll talk to Daichi about it, but just a warning that there very well might not be.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Sir Thopas wrote:You quoted him saying there would be...

Anyway, I didn't realize we would be putting in powers this year. I'll talk to Daichi about it, but just a warning that there very well might not be.
She quoted him saying both there would and wouldn't be powers...
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

oh yeah i missed that mah bad
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
gaurav.kandlikar

Sorry about all the confusion, I had trusted that my coach would written a more coherent announcement and did not read the whole thing *very* carefully. I'll edit the announcement to reflect the changes, and thanks for noticing.

About the powers: I had just looked Prison Bowl 1 set, and noticed that there were powers, and assumed that you were doing that again this year. It is fine if you don't plan on doing that again, and don't worry about putting them in just for us.

Once again, thanks for noticing the mistakes.
Gaurav
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

gaurav.kandlikar wrote:Eden Prairie Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce that we are hosting the EPITHET Tournament on Saturday, February 14th, 2009! This will be an academic tournament mirroring questions from Prison Bowl II.
So what's it stand for?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

cornfused wrote:
gaurav.kandlikar wrote:Eden Prairie Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce that we are hosting the EPITHET Tournament on Saturday, February 14th, 2009! This will be an academic tournament mirroring questions from Prison Bowl II.
So what's it stand for?
Eden Prairie Invitational Tournament from Hunter: Ex Trash
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Will you be seeking PACE Affiliation?
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Field update?
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
lenius
Kimahri

Post by lenius »

Anybody got an estimate of what time this will end? I need to order a bus.
Thanks.
gaurav.kandlikar

Hello.

Sorry about not responding at all here, my forum visits have been kind of nonexistent recently...

Anyway, the tournament happened yesterday. I thought it ran smoothly, and I hope that all teams had fun!

Brief stats -

Teams -
1) Chaska A
2) "Not South" A
3) Chaska B

Individuals -
1) Sam Peterson from Chaska A
2) Christian Carter from "Not South" A
3) Jessica Christy from Breck A

Full stats will be posted once I make sure everything is correct and figure out the best way to upload them.
Another thing to note is that EPITHET was given PACE affiliation, so I believe that the top four teams (please correct me if I am wrong!) have qualified for the PACE NSC.

Once again, I hope teams had fun, and congrats to Chaksa, "Not South," and all other schools that participated.

Gaurav Kandlikar

Edit - thanks to Guy, Daichi, and their teammates for an excellent set.
Second edit - I was told that the top 4 teams qualified for NSC through this tournament. Congrats to Chaska A, South A, Chaska B, and St. Thomas Academy for qualifying for the NSC.
Last edited by gaurav.kandlikar on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

gaurav.kandlikar wrote: Full stats will be posted once I make sure everything is correct and figure out the best way to upload them.
You can upload them for free here: http://www.scobo.net/tc.aspx. Also, please enable round report when you do!
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

cdcarter wrote:Also, please enable round report when you do!
The lifelong struggle.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
gaurav.kandlikar

The statkeeper seems to have done some weird things, and it looks like I will have to fix up somethings before everything is available.

Prelim stats are uploaded, and I'll work out the problems in the playoff and combined stats before uploading them.
Go to http://results.scobo.net/Default2.aspx?org=EdenPrairie for stats.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

This tournament was really awesome, and it was a great chance to play good teams on good and more difficult questions. I though the staffers were all very good moderators, and they all made good decisions when the (very few) protests occurred. I'd like to thank everyone who helped out, as well as the editors, it was a truly outstanding set of questions. Congratulations to Sam and Chaska as well, it was a great time to play (and get whomped) by you.

The one issue I had was the seemingly randomly decided prelim matches. What was up with that? I feel if South had a slightly harder prelim selection, or another team had a slightly easier one the entire 2-6 line up could have been very different. Also, I am fine with the lack of an advantaged final, just because I know we would not have fared well, and we wanted to get home, but in the future, its a good practice to play one.
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
gaurav.kandlikar

All right, I think I have fixed everything that needed to be fixed with the stats. Both combined and prelim stats can be found at http://results.scobo.net/EdenPrairie. Please tell me if there is anything that needs to be fixed. Also, I didn't know if people wanted just the playoff stats, andI can upload those if people want me to as well.
cdcarter wrote:The one issue I had was the seemingly randomly decided prelim matches. What was up with that? I feel if South had a slightly harder prelim selection, or another team had a slightly easier one the entire 2-6 line up could have been very different.

Yeah, I kind of noticed that after the fact, and I am really sorry if it made anybody unhappy. We were originally going to have bracketed round robins, but several teams signed up late, and we had to make a new schedule and change plans at the last minute.
cdcarter wrote:Also, I am fine with the lack of an advantaged final, just because I know we would not have fared well, and we wanted to get home, but in the future, its a good practice to play one.
I was going to ask you guys and Chaska if they want to play an advantaged final after the last round, but I was told not to because of time issues. Sorry about that!

Gaurav Kandlikar
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Round report is still only showing for rounds 1-5, so those round numbers don't seem to be entered... If you could fix that, it'd be great!

Also, yea, I totally understand, just was wondering, about both the schedule and the finals.
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)