By-Laws vs. Common Sense...

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

By-Laws vs. Common Sense...

Post by the return of AHAN »

In light of our potential match-up vs Sandusky (MI) Middle School at the NU Jr Wildcat, I looked up the following by-law:
The IESA Handbook Rule 2.080 wrote:Member schools may permit eligible students to participate in interscholastic activities as school representatives
pursuant with the following:
Schools which are members of this Association.
Illinois elementary attendance centers containing any of the grades five through eight which are not
members of this Association.
Non-Illinois elementary attendance centers in states adjacent to Illinois which contain any of the grades five
through eight. Member schools on the Illinois borders should indicate on schedules whenever a school is
outside Illinois. (emphasis added)
So, last week, I contacted the IESA asking for a ruling on this by-law relative to a tournament of all Illinois teams, save one that doesn't fit the 'adjacent' rule. I guess I was asking for it by doing this, but everyone on here knows I'm a stickler for the rules, right? :wink:
I was a bit dismayed when told that the Executive Director didn't want to rule on it, rather he wanted to take it up with the Board.
Uh-oh.
I effectively made up my mind this past week that we were going to the tourney regardless and that I may be compelled to lie about who we played. I'm telling you this now because I received the following ruling today:
IESA Admin wrote:Jeff, there is no problem with you playing in a tournament with a school
outside of Illinois (adjacent state or otherwise). Thanks for checking it
brought up some good conversation on the board.
I can only guess that the conversation turned to why the rule was what it was, and the Board decided they had no business telling NU who they could and couldn't invite to their own event.
Hooray for common sense!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: By-Laws vs. Common Sense...

Post by AKKOLADE »

Good job IESA in making a decision that doesn't infuriate me pointlessly!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
PACE
former (?) hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

Illinois shares a border with Michigan via water on Lake Michigan (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T ... ukegan|il|). The state government's official website also lists Michigan as a border state (http://www.illinois.gov/facts/geography.cfm).
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Stephen Colbert wrote:Illinois shares a border with Michigan via water on Lake Michigan (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T ... ukegan|il|). The state government's official website also lists Michigan as a border state (http://www.illinois.gov/facts/geography.cfm).
Amen, and I was ready for a fight if they ruled negatively. But, alas, notice that Julie wrote "adjacent or otherwise." I say that gives me license to invite Wayzata Central Middle School, Longfellow Middle School, et al. to the BIT!
(Or should I call it the Barrington Invitational Tournament for Educated Minds of Excellence? Hmmmm....)
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mrdcool
Lulu

Post by mrdcool »

I'm glad everything worked out in favor of common sense. We are really looking forward to this event and are much appreciative of the invite.
Matt D.
Sandusky Middle School
Quiz Bowl Coach