BATE Mirror (March 21, 2009) Midlothian, VA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

BATE Mirror (March 21, 2009) Midlothian, VA

Post by Tower Monarch »

This is a general announcement for Cosby High School's mirror site of Bloomfield's BATE (see original post). More details will follow in the next few days, but the goal for our fee structure will be accessibility among the local teams, especially those whose experience has been limited to VHSL in past seasons. Post here or email me to receive more information as it becomes available. Enough rooms have been reserved that with a slightly larger staff this tournament could expand beyond the tentative cap of 16 teams. I will appreciate any early signs of interest and hope to make Cosby's first tournament a success.
EDIT: my email is outhwest AT gmail DOT com
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Re: BATE Mirror (March 21, 2009) Midlothian, VA

Post by Tower Monarch »

OK, here is some more official information:
Fee Structure:
Base Fee for 1st teams from a School: $60
Base Fee for 2nd teams from a School: $50
Base Fee for 3rd teams (and later) from a school: $40
Buzzer Discount (system must have at least 8 functioning buzzers): $10/school
Short-Handed Team discount: -$15 for a 3-person team, -$20 for a 2-person team
Early Registration (by 2/28) Discount: -$10/school
Cancellation Penalty: +$5/team
Minimum fee: $40/school
**Note: A team for this tournament will be defined as at most 5 players (i.e. one substitution). If for some reason a school must have 6 or more members on one team, there will be a $10 penalty for each additional member. Coupled with the short-handed discount, this roughly means it would cost only $10-20 more to play as two teams, which is the purpose of this penalty: the more that play, the better.
As the cost is not meant to be prohibitive, arrangements can be made in advance for exceptions or additional discounts, especially for buzzers and/or moderators as we get a better picture of our own needs; again, contact me.
Emails will be sent likely using the Maggie Walker mailing list, so if you did not receive information on 2008's HAVOC or GSAC and would like to receive updates for this tournament, let Maggie Walker or me know soon. I look forward to some early registrations over the next couple weeks now that a fee structure has been determined.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

This post will be updated as registrations and more interest comes in:
**Reminder: The $10 school discount for early registration ends this weekend. Please send interest or official registration to outhwest AT gmail DOT com by Sunday at midnight if you would like this discount. Also, let us know if you will be able to bring buzzers, as I foresee this as being an issue.
Douglas Freeman (1, buzzers?)
LC Bird (1)
Collegiate (1, 1 buzzer set)

Interested:
James River (1-2)
Collegiate (1)
others who have spoken to me but have not emailed (5-6)
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

I updated the registration and information list. If you believe your school's name should be under one of those and is not currently, let me know soon. Also, with about two weeks to go, I would like to make a general call to all those DC/VA teams that have not yet registered to let me know if they are at least interested. This set is of great quality and it would be a shame to have a field of less than 10 teams when we have the rooms and staffers to pull off a larger tournament.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Yeah, WJ will most likely come to this.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

TJ will probably be bringing a nonzero amount of teams to this.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

This post will be updated as registrations and more interest comes in:
Please send interest or official registration to outhwest AT gmail DOT com. Also, let us know if you will be able to bring buzzers, as I foresee this as being an issue.
James River (2, 1 buzzer set)
Collegiate (1, 1)
Clover Hill (2, 1)
Walter Johnson (1, 1)
House Teams (1-2, 1)

Interested:
Douglas Freeman (1, 1) -- Someone from here should please email me to let me know about your situation.
TJHSST (1+, ?)
Ian (1, ?)
Last edited by Tower Monarch on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Hey, WJ will attend with one team and one buzzer system.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Some basic information (more to follow tomorrow evening): Registration will begin at 8:00, though you are free to show up a little earlier. Games will begin at 9:15 with or without both teams, though we will begin at 9:00 if everyone does show up on time. A meeting in the cafeteria (wide open area that takes up about a fifth of the first floor located at the end of all three major hallways) will occur for all teams to discuss rules and announce up-coming tournaments by 8:45. Our goal is to finish all but the finals by 3:00, but teams should be available until 4:30 in case of unexpected delays.

Teams I would like to email me as soon as possible:
TJHSST
Douglas Freeman
Clover Hill
J.R. Tucker
GDS
Any others who wish to come, especially if you have a working buzzer set. The field must be finalized by Thursday so I can announce a realistic schedule on Friday.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Tower Monarch wrote:Teams I would like to email me as soon as possible:
GDS
GDS is signed up to attend the Blue Hen Invitational in Newark DE on this day.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Any high school players/coaches/etc who want to participate in The Experiment II mirror at VCU on Saturday evening should be aware that we will be in contact with the Cosby tournament throughout the day and will hold the start time of The Experiment until half an hour after Cosby is done. That should give you adequate time to get from one tournament to the other without speeding.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Some sort of GDS team will be attending the Delaware tournament, but Matt and I may attend this instead.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

It's looking more likely that I won't be making it to this one. Break a leg hosting your first tournament, Cosby!
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

This is just a reminder that I believe should affect at least Ian's and Freeman's attendance and Daichi's financials: there is a $20 discount for 2 person teams, and I may be able to wave the $40 school minimum if you email me with your specific situation. TJ, I am still looking forward to an email saying you are bringing at least 2 teams and one buzzer set, so please let me know if this will happen before Thursday.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

It looks like TJ might not be able to make this one. Sorry.
Last edited by Whiter Hydra on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

More teams should register for this fine event.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

So I am still waiting for any last minute registrations (which are more than welcome), but I will have 2-3 "House" teams with Maggie Walker and Cosby players to make either of these 2 tentative schedules:
Same
Registration 8:00-8:30 (will continue running during Moderator Meeting if necessary)
Moderator Meeting 8:30-8:45 (Coaches welcome for more substantial rules clarifications)
Brief Team Meeting 8:45-9:05 (Quick timing/rules summary of ACF rules, upcoming tournaments announced)
8 Teams *************************************10 Teams
Round 1 9:15-9:45********************* Round 1 9:15-9:45
Round 2 9:50-10:20******************** Round 2 9:50-10:20
Round 3 10:25-10:55****************** Round 3 10:25-10:55
Round 4 11:00-11:30 ****************** Round 4 11:00-11:30
Round 5 11:30-12:00 ***************** Round 5 11:35-12:05
Round 6 12:00-12:30 ***************** Lunch 12:05-1:20
Round 7 12:30-1:00 ******************* Round 7 1:50-2:30
Round 8 2:15-2:45 ********************** Round 8 2:30-3:00
Round 9 2:45-3:15 ********************** Round 9 3:00-3:30
Round 10 3:15-3:45 ********************* Round 10 3:30-4:00
Finals 1 3:50-4:15 (if necessary) ******** Finals 1 4:05-4:35 (if necessary)

For the 8 team schedule, it is a full round robin, so we will be pushing to get those 7 pre-lunch rounds done to get teams off to lunch no later than 1:00. (Reminder: we will have a basic breakfast spread available for free in the morning.) The finals will then be two 4-team round robins with only 1st place played off in a final if necessary. This allows 10 guaranteed games definitely for the top 4 bracket and for the consolation bracket if no teams must leave after lunch.
For the 10 team schedule, it consists of two brackets of 5, round robin with a random cross bracket game during "byes" that will be exhibition games not entered in the stats. After lunch, rebracketing gives a playoff bracket of 6 for a 5-game round robin (10 games played by these top 6 with 9 counting for placement) and a consolation bracket of 4 with a 3-game round robin (guaranteeing 8 games played with 7 counting for placement with an opportunity for 1-2 scrimmages pending staffing).
The bottom line here is that if all teams show up between 8:00 and 9:00 then we can have everyone off to lunch between 11:30 and 1:00 and end between 3:00 and 4:30.

EDIT: For teams that are thinking about coming, keep in mind I only have 6 guaranteed teams, and I also have tentative schedules for 12 and 14 teams assuming additional teams could bring 1 buzzer for every 3 added. The point is we have about enough staff, definitely enough rooms and probably enough buzzers to have a 14 team tournament using 2 house teams: that means room for 6 teams past the guaranteed 6!
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

So barring craziness, we will be following that 8 team schedule, though I will make two quick points. First, if you have a buzzer set, just show up before 8:30 with up to three teams and we will reprint the schedule because we strongly prefer more teams. Second, no matter how many teams there are, please show up between 8:00 and 8:30, as the moderator meeting should begin promptly at the latter time, followed by the general meeting and the first game.
Now, I will edit in a map if I can find one that is any less confusing than print directions, but those can be found here. Again, just enter the building and you will find your way to the cafeteria.
The only fortunate side to this small field is that 1) a full round robin will be possible and convenient and 2) the high good-moderator-to-team ratio will ensure we get teams off to lunch before 1:00 even after the 7 round prelims and will likely finish the entire tournament by 3:30. I want to thank all teams in advance for showing up at a reasonable time. We at Cosby look forward to seeing everyone.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Alright, I just wanted to thank all teams for showing up both in the morning and (for the most part) after lunch. I will have access to individual score sheets and the playoff statistics Tuesday afternoon, but for now I have the results of the preliminary rounds. After a seven-game pre-lunch Round Robin, Daichi went undefeated, followed by "House A" (featuring alternating appearances of Greg and Tommy from Maggie Walker plus Cosby and Gov players) and "House B" (featuring Sarah and Matt trading off accompanied by other Cosby and Gov players), as well as James River. At that point Daichi had cleared the non-House field and was declared the winner of the tournament in a brief gathering after lunch. He received first book choice for that feat, followed by second choice for his commanding individual performance. Of the 10 books awarded, 3 went to Daichi and 4-5 went to Maggie Walker players from the House teams. The combined consequence of Clover Hill's two teams becoming one smaller one and James River B's unwillingness to face three more rounds of House and Daichi, the two House teams were reformed as three, accompanying Daichi in a three game round robin in the "top" playoff. As I stated, standings and statistics from those last three games will appear later this week. For now, let's see if this works for the prelims:
Attachments
Cosby BATE.zip
Preliminary Statistics from 7-game round robin
(12.33 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

As far as I know, the above stats are fine for the prelims.
EDIT: House "B" against James River "B" in the prelims did not have Matt playing (and going 0-0), so his stat line after the prelims is the same but with only 4 GP, so 106.25 PPG. Jason actually played, but it does not affect his PPG.
I have attached the playoff stats at the end. Although James River "B" moved to the "Consolation" playoffs and preceded to lose to both the hybrid Clover Hill team and to Collegiate, combined records yield the following placements:
Position. Team (Prelim Record, Playoff Record, Combined Record)

1. Daichi (7-0, 3-0, 10-0 + a win in the half-packet scrimmage game against a team containing both Gov's Tommy and VCU's Evan Adams)
2. James River "B" (4-3, 1-2, 5-5)
3. Collegiate (2-5, 2-1, 4-6)
4. Clover Hill "B" (3-4, n/a, 3-4)
5. James River "A" (1-6, 0-3, 1-9)
6. Clover Hill "A" (0-7, n/a, 0-7)
Note: The Clover Hill teams were eligible in the prelims, just not in the playoffs. The following teams were ineligible:
Ineligibile. House "A" (3-1, 2-1, 5-2)- defined as the team featuring Tommy C from Gov
Ineligible. House "B" (as "A": 2-0, 1-2, 3-2)- defined as the team featuring Greg T from Gov
Ineligible. House "C" (as "B": 5-2, 0-3, 5-5)- defined as the team trading off Sarah A and Matt K from Gov
Ineligible. "Clover Hill (n/a, 3-0, 3-0)- made up solely of Bobby from Clover Hill "A" and Eric from Clover Hill "B"

Reminder: This tournament has received PACE affiliation and I have declared James River "B" as the official second place team, meaning they should appear as a qualified team in the NSC forum soon. Congratulations to them and to Daichi in yet another qualification.
Thanks again to all teams that came and to the 9 Maggie Walker students that staffed and filled out the "House" teams.
Attachments
CosbyBATEPlayoffs.zip
Playoff statistics from two divided 3-game round robins.
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 141 times