VCU High School Tournament Dates 2009-2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

VCU High School Tournament Dates 2009-2010

Post by Matt Weiner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:04 am

I know this is a ridiculously early announcement, but the university is requiring us to submit room requests for next academic year by this week for some reason, so I wanted to clear these dates for high school tournaments in the Richmond metro area (and DC/beyond for those interested in a little traveling) right now.

Fall Tournament II: 10/31/09
Winter Tournament II: 12/05/09
Spring Tournament III: 2/20/10
Season Finale Tournament IV: in flux

I imagine at least two of these events will use HSAPQ questions; others might mirror a distant set or use NAQT. More info on all that will be posted way, way later; for now, I'd just like to stake VCU's claim on those Saturdays.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

BuzzerZen
Auron

Re: VCU High School Tournament Dates 2009-2010

Post by BuzzerZen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 am

Obviously I have nothing to do with Maggie Walker's program, but 12/12 is sort of in the neighborhood of when GSAC usually happens, IIRC.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Since it was 12/6 this year, perhaps it'll be 12/5 next? The possibilities are endless, man, endless.
Andrew Watkins

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:57 pm

And Wilmington Charter's tournament was 12-20 this year and is traditionally the second week of December (it was moved due to a conflict), so we're going to have a lot of conflicts that month as well when we decide on what we want to go to.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:22 pm

I like how the winter tournament is in fall and the spring tournament is in winter.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:47 pm

rmgeokid wrote:I like how the winter tournament is in fall and the spring tournament is in winter.
December ain't no fall I ever heard of. :cowboy:
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:53 pm

FredMorlan wrote:
rmgeokid wrote:I like how the winter tournament is in fall and the spring tournament is in winter.
December ain't no fall I ever heard of. :cowboy:
Haha.
Well 'round these here parts, winter commences on the 21st. These here tournaments are very interestingly named.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl

Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:41 pm

everyday847 wrote:Since it was 12/6 this year, perhaps it'll be 12/5 next? The possibilities are endless, man, endless.
We messed up and put it on the wrong weekend this year. The one digit numbers we remembered fooled us into thinking we usually did the first Saturday, but this is the only year out of the past three at least in which that's happened. We were going to go back to our traditional second Saturday in December to give ourselves another week, which we've discovered we'll probably need...
Sam (Sarah Angelo) Luongo,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
President, PACE
Member, ACF

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:46 pm

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:And Wilmington Charter's tournament was 12-20 this year and is traditionally the second week of December (it was moved due to a conflict), so we're going to have a lot of conflicts that month as well when we decide on what we want to go to.
This issue should be minor as

- The pool of parties interested in Charter tournaments and Richmond-area tournaments is small and,
- If the "fireman's convention" again lays claim to the building on the second December Saturday I will begin looking in November for options. See, it is a fall tournament.

In the region stretching from Virginia to Long Island the number of tournaments in a given year now easily exceeds the number of available weekends. By the pigeonhole principle, there's going to have to be some weekends where there's two events.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 pm

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
everyday847 wrote:Since it was 12/6 this year, perhaps it'll be 12/5 next? The possibilities are endless, man, endless.
We messed up and put it on the wrong weekend this year. The one digit numbers we remembered fooled us into thinking we usually did the first Saturday, but this is the only year out of the past three at least in which that's happened. We were going to go back to our traditional second Saturday in December to give ourselves another week, which we've discovered we'll probably need...
I think we'd be OK with switching with you so you can take 12/12 and we can take 12/5; let me know in the next two days.
Matt Weiner

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pm

Bad Boy Bill wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:And Wilmington Charter's tournament was 12-20 this year and is traditionally the second week of December (it was moved due to a conflict), so we're going to have a lot of conflicts that month as well when we decide on what we want to go to.
This issue should be minor as

- The pool of parties interested in Charter tournaments and Richmond-area tournaments is small and,
- If the "fireman's convention" again lays claim to the building on the second December Saturday I will begin looking in November for options. See, it is a fall tournament.

In the region stretching from Virginia to Long Island the number of tournaments in a given year now easily exceeds the number of available weekends. By the pigeonhole principle, there's going to have to be some weekends where there's two events.
Good point. We'd never slight you though, Charter! You always take precedence.

Anyway, we'd love to come to more VCU tournaments but there's only so many Richmond drives we can make from Delaware. But considering how wonderful last weekend's was, we're going to come whenever we can.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:43 pm

Matt Weiner wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:
I think we'd be OK with switching with you so you can take 12/12 and we can take 12/5; let me know in the next two days.
I spoke to Dr. B. today and confirmed that 12/12 is our best option. Thanks, Matt.
Sam (Sarah Angelo) Luongo,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
President, PACE
Member, ACF

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:41 am

MLWGS-Gir wrote:I spoke to Dr. B. today and confirmed that 12/12 is our best option. Thanks, Matt.
OK, I've changed it.
Matt Weiner