Date for Spring Tournament at James Monroe?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Which of the following dates would be better for a spring tournament at James Monroe?

Sunday, April 19
No votes
Sunday, April 26
10%
Saturday, May 16
70%
No preference
20%

Total votes: 10

intothenegs
Wakka

Date for Spring Tournament at James Monroe?

Post by intothenegs »

James Monroe (Fredericksburg, VA) is considering running a house-written tournament in either late April or mid-May. Since a majority of the Saturdays between now and PACE are claimed, our choices seem few and we may run a Sunday tournament- so vote on a date that you would prefer.

Once I get details worked out and can settle on a date, I'll post a more formal announcement.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013

Tower Monarch
Rikku

Re: Date for Spring Tournament at James Monroe?

Post by Tower Monarch »

Well, I would generally recommend against the 26th as it is not only the day after HAVOC, but at least a couple central VA senior proms are that Saturday night. The 18th is manageable, but a few schools have the preceding week off for Spring Break and may only be getting back that day. Despite the lateness, the May Saturday seems the most workable.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08

Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite
Auron

Post by Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite »

Also, the VCU Season Finale is on the 18th, and I know some people from TJ will be reluctant to go to two different tournaments in the same weekend.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13
VP of Technology, PACE
Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Quite simply, if we wanted to go, we can't on the 19th, and probably can't on the 26th. So the last choice would be the best even though it's quite a bit later.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Quite simply, if we wanted to go, we can't on the 19th, and probably can't on the 26th. So the last choice would be the best even though it's quite a bit later.
Well, perhaps better for you. I think something we should keep in mind though is that if you're hosting a Sunday tournament you are automatically going to have lots of conflicts with lots of schools, either because they have events like prom the night before (sidenote: given the nature of prom being that lots of schools run theirs at different times, I don't think Cameron's warning is valid because I would be shocked if a couple other schools miss because of prom on any day), or because people are religious (which is not unheard of in the south). For every person on this board advocating one date, who knows, there might be three other teams out there that refuse to go unless its some other day, so I would advocate taking some of the suggestions here with a grain of salt until you get a pretty complete response from lots of nearby coaches to try and figure out what date looks like it might benefit the most teams, even if it means your field may not be as nationally competitive.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Howard
Yuna

Post by Howard »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Quite simply, if we wanted to go, we can't on the 19th, and probably can't on the 26th. So the last choice would be the best even though it's quite a bit later.
Well, perhaps better for you. I think something we should keep in mind though is that if you're hosting a Sunday tournament you are automatically going to have lots of conflicts with lots of schools, either because they have events like prom the night before (sidenote: given the nature of prom being that lots of schools run theirs at different times, I don't think Cameron's warning is valid because I would be shocked if a couple other schools miss because of prom on any day), or because people are religious (which is not unheard of in the south). For every person on this board advocating one date, who knows, there might be three other teams out there that refuse to go unless its some other day, so I would advocate taking some of the suggestions here with a grain of salt until you get a pretty complete response from lots of nearby coaches to try and figure out what date looks like it might benefit the most teams, even if it means your field may not be as nationally competitive.
Couldn't have said this better. Actually, probably couldn't have said it this well in the first place.

Obviously, you'll want to avoid major conflicts like spring breaks or Sundays when other tournaments are running. Beyond that, pick what works out best for you and things should go well.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred