4 Rounds of Questions - Free no longer

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
Dan-Don
Yuna
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston
Contact:

4 Rounds of Questions - Free no longer

Post by Dan-Don » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Here are the four rounds of questions used at Saint Viator High School's 6th and 7th grade Tournament today (April 1st). The questions are being given out to the coaches of all the teams in attendance, but we figured you might want to enjoy them too. They were mostly written me (Dan Donohue), with a lot of history and math contributed by Sean Koller and Jeff Geringer, respectively. They were edited by Donald Taylor of the University of Illinois. Each round consists of 16 pyramidal tossups and accompanying Illinois-format bonuses. The distro was 3/3 Math (from Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and Geometry), 3/3 Science (from Astronomy, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and General Science), 3/3 Lit (from American, British, and World), and 3/3 History (from U.S., World, Geography, and Current Events), 2/2 Fine Arts (from Performing, Visual, and Music) and 2/2 Misc. (from Entertainment, Sports, Video Games, Foreign Language, and Religion). We also sent Jeff Price's survey (cf. "The Great Middle School Pyramidal Experiment") out to the coaches. Hopefully we'll hear some positive feedback.

Edit: See my post from 6/5/2009.
Last edited by Dan-Don on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
Posts: 1947
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by the return of AHAN » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:41 pm

ITT Barrington Station's invitation to this tournament gets lost in the mail
:wink:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan-Don
Yuna
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston
Contact:

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by Dan-Don » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Actually Mr. Price, I talked to our recruitment director and a lot of our incoming freshmen come from Barrington public schools. We're having another house-written middle school tourney in the fall and it looks like you'll be invited.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
Posts: 1947
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by the return of AHAN » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:51 pm

DD60004 wrote:Actually Mr. Price, I talked to our recruitment director and a lot of our incoming freshmen come from Barrington public schools. We're having another house-written middle school tourney in the fall and it looks like you'll be invited.
This I know to be true as I usually fill out a few rec forms every year for 8th graders applying to Viator & Carmel.
One issue though; The IESA defines next season as January 25th through May 7th. That won't affect your other schools other than possibly St. Raymond de Penefort who is off-and-on involved in the IESA. So, if you do one on 1/25 or later, I'd be very interested.
Historically, isn't the fall tournament for 8th graders, and the spring one for 6th/7th graders? If so, I have only ONE 7th grader on my team this year, so our inability to come in the fall may be academic.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Orlando, Fl

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:02 pm

In my opinion the European Literature bonus #13 on Packet 2 may be a little too difficult for 6th/7th graders.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013

User avatar
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:24 pm

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:In my opinion the European Literature bonus #13 on Packet 2 may be a little too difficult for 6th/7th graders.
Looks fine to me.
Andrew Watkins

User avatar
dtaylor4
Auron
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by dtaylor4 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:In my opinion the European Literature bonus #13 on Packet 2 may be a little too difficult for 6th/7th graders.
No.

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by at your pleasure » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:34 pm

The euro lit bonus looks fine. I am rather less enamored of the Shakspeare tossup. Clues about the sonnets or plot details would be better than biographical facts,especially very-well known biographical facts.In generally, the tossups needed more description of works. In the Shakespeare tossup, for instance, the inital biographical clues("Born in...38 plays") could have been replaced with a quote from the sonnets and a major plot point of one or two of the mentioned plays to the great benefit of the tossup.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
Posts: 1947
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by the return of AHAN » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:In my opinion the European Literature bonus #13 on Packet 2 may be a little too difficult for 6th/7th graders.
I used it in practice with 6,7, and 8th graders recently and the controlling team got 3 out of 4, including Jean Valjean, but that was an 8th grader with that part.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan-Don
Yuna
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston
Contact:

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by Dan-Don » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Woody Paige wrote:This I know to be true as I usually fill out a few rec forms every year for 8th graders applying to Viator & Carmel.
One issue though; The IESA defines next season as January 25th through May 7th. That won't affect your other schools other than possibly St. Raymond de Penefort who is off-and-on involved in the IESA. So, if you do one on 1/25 or later, I'd be very interested.
Historically, isn't the fall tournament for 8th graders, and the spring one for 6th/7th graders? If so, I have only ONE 7th grader on my team this year, so our inability to come in the fall may be academic.
That's correct...fall is 8th Grade and Spring is 6th/7th which I think is sort of stupid. Maybe we'll just host an ordinary, 6th-8th, middle school tourney next year. We'd love to get enthusiastic publics schools to come and play. But, don't count on it...we'd have to get the administation to change that and, as you know, our struggles with the administration are legendary.
Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:In my opinion the European Literature bonus #13 on Packet 2 may be a little too difficult for 6th/7th graders.
I was nervous about that one too. In the room I moderated, only Brothers Grimm was answered. But, I'm glad you all think it's ok and that the Barrington kids got 3/4.
Anti-Climacus wrote:I am rather less enamored of the Shakspeare tossup. Clues about the sonnets or plot details would be better than biographical facts,especially very-well known biographical facts.In generally, the tossups needed more description of works. In the Shakespeare tossup, for instance, the inital biographical clues("Born in...38 plays") could have been replaced with a quote from the sonnets and a major plot point of one or two of the mentioned plays to the great benefit of the tossup.
Yeah there's really no excuse for that tossup other than I got lazy.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

User avatar
Stephen Colbert
Wakka
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:12 am

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - FREE!

Post by Stephen Colbert » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:14 am

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:In my opinion the European Literature bonus #13 on Packet 2 may be a little too difficult for 6th/7th graders.
I read this bonus to Streator Northlawn today and it was easily swept by an eighth-grader. Even if a little difficult, a bonus like this makes a statement that the middle school literature canon is expanding away from completely unheard of kiddy lit. More bonuses like this need to be written!
DD60004 wrote:Maybe we'll just host an ordinary, 6th-8th, middle school tourney next year. We'd love to get enthusiastic public schools to come and play.
I would most highly encourage this, especially if it's on a Saturday. While I probably won't be actively coaching next year, I would certainly try to get a contingent from Streator Northlawn to attend if the field is open to public schools.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator

Dan-Don
Yuna
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston
Contact:

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - Free no longer

Post by Dan-Don » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:53 pm

OK, it's been about two months since I put these questions up for free and I'm glad everyone has enjoyed them. But, at least once a day, I have four emails from Box.com indicating "Your file 'Round 1.doc' was downloaded," Your file 'Round 2.doc' was downloaded," and etc. So I've realized I might be able to make some money from this questions set. As you may or may not know, I come from a high school where the quiz bowl program is, sadly, not funded. If you are interested in purchasing this question set (4 rounds, each of 16 very well-written, IHSA-format questions plus 2 tie-breakers)—for practice only—please shoot me an email (Curiouscamper@aol.com) and we can discuss pricing. All the money would, of course, go to my school's quiz bowl program.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - Free no longer

Post by theMoMA » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Hey, while I'm sure your financial situation is unfortunate, I'd encourage you not to charge people for these questions. There are thousands of pages of free questions out there, including until very recently, the very questions you're now hoping to sell. Most everyone in the quizbowl community is resigned to the fact that it's hard to make money off of selling practice questions, both because of the massive amount of free stuff out there, and because packets make their way around the internet once one person has them. If you're having trouble with funds, hosting tournaments is almost always the better way to go.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum

User avatar
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - Free no longer

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:57 pm

I don't know how many teams around your local area attend D&G, which is apparently bidding for the Fall Novice set, but if you think you can attract a reasonable field of teams that don't, then you totally should bid for it. It costs zero dollars to mirror, too!
Andrew Watkins

jonah
Auron
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - Free no longer

Post by jonah » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:56 pm

everyday847 wrote:I don't know how many teams around your local area attend D&G, which is apparently bidding for the Fall Novice set, but if you think you can attract a reasonable field of teams that don't, then you totally should bid for it. It costs zero dollars to mirror, too!
The schools are about ten miles apart, so that doesn't seem likely to be effective.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

User avatar
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - Free no longer

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:29 am

jonah wrote:
everyday847 wrote:I don't know how many teams around your local area attend D&G, which is apparently bidding for the Fall Novice set, but if you think you can attract a reasonable field of teams that don't, then you totally should bid for it. It costs zero dollars to mirror, too!
The schools are about ten miles apart, so that doesn't seem likely to be effective.
I am so good at geography.
Andrew Watkins

User avatar
First Chairman
Auron
Posts: 3875
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Fairfax VA
Contact:

Re: 4 Rounds of Questions - Free no longer

Post by First Chairman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 am

Andrew Hart is right. Personally I think you need to keep at least one or two sets to be designated example packets to attract teams to your tournament.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

Locked