Roanoke College (VA) Invitational (4/25)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
STPickrell
Auron

Roanoke College (VA) Invitational (4/25)

Post by STPickrell »

I got this email from the tournament organizer. It is using IS-81.

Yes, I know it is the same date as HAVOC. I have made him aware of this potential issue and advised him to join/monitor this board.

You may email him at aesexton at roanoke dot edu for more info or to request/work out a date change.

Hello,
I wanted to contact you to let you know that Roanoke College in Salem, VA is sponsoring an NAQT invitational tournament on Saturday, April 25, 2009. There is no entry fee for the teams; we only request that the teams bring buzzers and a reader if possible. We are going to cap the field around 16 teams. You can contact me if you have any other questions, and the tournament is listed on the NAQT website.

Thanks,

-Adam E. Cody Sexton
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Re: Roanoke College (VA) Invitational (4/25)

Post by jbarnes112358 »

In addition to HAVOC, be aware that the Battle of the Brains TV show try-out test is on that day, which will eliminate many of the Central and Eastern Virginia teams. If you are targeting teams in southwestern Virginia and out of state teams it should not be a major problem, I suppose.
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

Free quizbowl?!? Rappahannock County is definitely interested.
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

A free tournament so close to home-- we can't pass this opportunity up. Consider us there.

Our coach may not be attending, and our roster will be shortened up a bit, but we'll make our best efforts to show, providing we can find a ride there. :cool:
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I got off the phone with one of my team's players at about 12:30 (I was unable to attend this one), and this tournament is over. Several teams dropped out at the last minute and it ended up being just two teams. The decision was made to play a best of 7 series. Salem beat Auburn in the first match and then Auburn won the next 4 matches to win the event. It was nice to have another tournament in SW VA; hopefully they will want to do this again next year, and it will fall on a date that is better for more teams to participate.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

If Roanoke plans to run the tourney again next year, may I suggest holding it earlier on? I think a lot of quizbowl teams are more active during the fall and winter than around this time... or maybe that's just us :lol:
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014