Kentucky 09-10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Faiyad
Wakka
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Faiyad » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:46 pm

dbarman wrote:
Faiyad wrote:
grayson77 wrote:
Faiyad wrote:Since Dunbar is using HSAPQ sets, would the tournament be a good way of, kind of, surveying potential prospects for the All-Star team?
It would be good for getting an idea of what the team may consist of, but the individual results may be skewed because some teams (Manual, Johnson Central) have several good starters on their team.
Other teams (Adair and Madisonville) have one player that is much stronger than their other starters.
This would result in the players from weaker teams having higher PPG values.
That is why an alternate format should be used.
What I am saying is that it would be a good way of seeing what players seem strong.
Also, from what I believe, Dunbar kept individual statistics are their Fall Tournament, so I believe it is safe to assume that they will keep statistics at the Spring tournament as well.
We'll try, but don’t count on it. The main stats dudes are Brian and me, and I’ll probably be gone. But you are right, it should be a good way to see who’s strong though the actual All-Star tournament will be a lot more difficult, closer to college level than regular HSAPQ, I’d imagine. HSAPQ has relatively easy questions as compared to most house-written tournaments, and this tournament is supposed to be harder than PACE NSC.
Sounds good. I talked to Jack from Pikeville, he seems interested in the All-Star tournament too. But I don't think he'll attend the Dunbar tournament.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15

User avatar
Coach K
Wakka
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Danville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Coach K » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:52 pm

grayson77 wrote:So are there any plans for other tournaments (than Dunbar and U of L) this spring?
We've been batting around the idea of hosting another tournament either at the end of March (the 27th) or beginning of May.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School

Andrew from jc
Wakka
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Paintsville, Ky

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Andrew from jc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Would it be good to start of list of people who want to or are planning on doing a tryout if we do it on that Saturday. Maybe make a list at Dunbar and have some kind of preliminary Tryout there.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:01 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I guess I can start a list of people.
We can keep those people updated on information about the tryout.
I am actually going to start a new thread for the discussion of the tryouts.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Huang
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Huang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:53 am

Coach K wrote: And speaking of Dunbar's tournament, could you e-mail out a registration form or something similar Susan?
In case anyone else missed it, here's the registration form: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QGTWJF5
Edit: E-mail also works
Sandy

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:59 pm

The pools for state quick recall have been posted.
http://kaac.com/state/HSPoolAssignments-10.pdf

Any predictions?

I can see alot of second place teams getting out of their pools this year.
(KCD, Eastern, Pikeville, Simon Kenton, Franklin Simpson, and Edmonson)

Does anyone know exactly how Cambell and Shelby would compare to us this year?
Last edited by Scott on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 pm

I haven't been able to find much of anything on Shelby County or Breathitt County, but I do know that Campbell County (the other team in Grayson's pool) is usually formidable and seems to be the best Northern Kentucky team this year.

Does anyone know about KCD this year? I noticed they play Johnson Central in the 1st round and I know KCD was good last year. If they're still as good that might be an entertaining first round game.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

User avatar
Huang
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Huang » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Gerd Bockmann wrote: Does anyone know about KCD this year?
I think they graduated Austin
Sandy

User avatar
Coach K
Wakka
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Danville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Coach K » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:00 pm

grayson77 wrote:The pools for state quick recall have been posted.
http://kaac.com/state/HSPoolAssignments-10.pdf

Any predictions?

I can see alot of second place teams getting out of their pools this year.
(KCD, Eastern, Pikeville, Simon Kenton, Danville, Franklin Simpson, and Edmonson)

Does anyone know exactly how Cambell and Shelby would compare to us this year?
Second place in what, Scott?
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Coach K wrote:
grayson77 wrote:The pools for state quick recall have been posted.
http://kaac.com/state/HSPoolAssignments-10.pdf

Any predictions?

I can see alot of second place teams getting out of their pools this year.
(KCD, Eastern, Pikeville, Simon Kenton, Danville, Franklin Simpson, and Edmonson)

Does anyone know exactly how Cambell and Shelby would compare to us this year?
Second place in what, Scott?
Sorry about that Mr. Kremer. I saw you guys listed "bellow" St. X and got confused.
I was saying that all of those teams that were 2nd in their region could advance to the top 16.
I should have known that you won your region anyway.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Coach K
Wakka
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Danville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Coach K » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm

grayson77 wrote:
Coach K wrote:
grayson77 wrote:The pools for state quick recall have been posted.
http://kaac.com/state/HSPoolAssignments-10.pdf

Any predictions?

I can see alot of second place teams getting out of their pools this year.
(KCD, Eastern, Pikeville, Simon Kenton, Danville, Franklin Simpson, and Edmonson)

Does anyone know exactly how Cambell and Shelby would compare to us this year?
Second place in what, Scott?
Sorry about that Mr. Kremer. I saw you guys listed "bellow" St. X and got confused.
I was saying that all of those teams that were 2nd in their region could advance to the top 16.
I should have known that you won your region anyway.
Oh okay. I thought that's what you meant but got confused because we won ours. No problem.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School

Kahloon
Lulu
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Kahloon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Huang wrote:
Gerd Bockmann wrote: Does anyone know about KCD this year?
I think they graduated Austin
Yeah, he's at U of L now.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12

Faiyad
Wakka
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Faiyad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 pm

How about Saint X.? They've had pretty good teams in years past.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15

User avatar
Huang
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Huang » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 pm

Faiyad wrote:How about Saint X.? They've had pretty good teams in years past.
They graduated Akash
Sandy

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 pm

I am expecting them to be pretty good as they always are.
I'm not sure if they will be able to beat Danville, but they will give them a good game.
If I had to guess, I would say that KCD will be the weakest pool runner-up in the bottom bracket.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

Faiyad
Wakka
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Faiyad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

I didn't see Apollo in the Pools. Did they lose in their Region? I remember they had some really good players on JV last year and they played us close. They also had some high test scores this year, from what I remember.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15

User avatar
Coach K
Wakka
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Danville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Coach K » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Faiyad wrote:I didn't see Apollo in the Pools. Did they lose in their Region? I remember they had some really good players on JV last year and they played us close. They also had some high test scores this year, from what I remember.
Looks like they were 4th in the region with Grayson and Edmonson.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm

Faiyad wrote:I didn't see Apollo in the Pools. Did they lose in their Region? I remember they had some really good players on JV last year and they played us close. They also had some high test scores this year, from what I remember.
Apollo certainly had a good team this year, but they ended up finishing fourth in the 3rd Region. Grayson County beat them by 27 and then Edmonson beat them to eliminate them completely. Edmonson and Grayson are the two 3rd Region (both are also in the 12th District) teams in the pools, and Edmonson starts off with Fleming County.


Edit: I edited this to make more since.
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

Faiyad
Wakka
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Faiyad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Gerd Bockmann wrote:
Faiyad wrote:I didn't see Apollo in the Pools. Did they lose in their Region? I remember they had some really good players on JV last year and they played us close. They also had some high test scores this year, from what I remember.
Apollo certainly had a good team this year, but they ended up finishing 4th in the Third Region. Grayson County beat them by 27 and then Edmonson beat them to eliminate them completely. Edmonson is the other 3rd region team in the pools, and they play Fleming County.
Damn. That really gives me some insight on the Third Region. Sounds like some pretty competition this year. Defending the championship is going to be tougher than ever this year... :D! I guess it's safe to say State will be extra fun this year :D!
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:56 pm

To be honest our region is becoming one of the most competitive (not necessarily best) regions in the state.
Aside from us and our 27 point win over Apollo, all of the top 5 teams were within 10 points of each other.
Not to mention that Daviess has one of the best freshman in the state and will continue to improve greatly.
Next year I believe we will hold of the first place spot with new staff and many returned players,
but 2nd will be a fight between Apollo (returning their full team), Edmonson (2nd this year), Owensboro (coached by Wholley), and Daviess (Ella Ship=amazing young player.)

I am going to go ahead a make predictions for state.
Feel free to argue with me. :wink:

Pool A
1st Dunbar
2nd Franklin Simpson

Pool B
1st Adair
2nd Simon Kenton

Pool C
1st Manual
2nd Edmonson

Pool D
1st Pikeville
2nd Eastern

Pool E
1st Danville
2nd St. X(very close loss)

Pool F
1st Johnson
2nd KCD

Pool G
1st Grayson
2nd Campbell

Pool H
1st Russell
2nd Madisonville

Overall:
1st Dunbar
2nd Johnson
3rd Manual
4th Russell
5th Pikeville
6th Adair
7th Grayson
8th Danville
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

dbarman
Wakka
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: Dunbar High Lexington KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by dbarman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 am

grayson77 wrote:To be honest our region is becoming one of the most competitive (not necessarily best) regions in the state.
Aside from us and our 27 point win over Apollo, all of the top 5 teams were within 10 points of each other.
Not to mention that Daviess has one of the best freshman in the state and will continue to improve greatly.
Next year I believe we will hold of the first place spot with new staff and many returned players,
but 2nd will be a fight between Apollo (returning their full team), Edmonson (2nd this year), Owensboro (coached by Wholley), and Daviess (Ella Ship=amazing young player.)

I am going to go ahead a make predictions for state.
Feel free to argue with me. :wink:

Pool A
1st Dunbar
2nd Franklin Simpson

Pool B
1st Adair
2nd Simon Kenton

Pool C
1st Manual
2nd Edmonson

Pool D
1st Pikeville
2nd Eastern

Pool E
1st Danville
2nd St. X(very close loss)

Pool F
1st Johnson
2nd KCD

Pool G
1st Grayson
2nd Campbell

Pool H
1st Russell
2nd Madisonville

Overall:
1st Dunbar
2nd Johnson
3rd Manual
4th Russell
5th Pikeville
6th Adair
7th Grayson
8th Danville

Dunbar can't win quick recall on knowledge alone, even with the 2 liners instead of 1 liners.
Ping @Dunbar

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:24 am

I don't know about that.
Dunbar almost won last year.
Johnson will definitely play well at state though.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:32 am

The questions (outside of the mathcomp) are longer than two lines, unless KAAC has decided to regress between Region and State. They certainly aren't HSAPQ, but they have enough pyramidality that I think Dunbar will still do well.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

Faiyad
Wakka
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Faiyad » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 am

Having had played both Russell and Pikeville on numerous occasions, I'd have to say Pikeville is better.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:34 am

I actually think the pyramidality helped Grayson and Edmonson beat the other region 3 schools.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:35 am

Faiyad wrote:Having had played both Russell and Pikeville on numerous occasions, I'd have to say Pikeville is better.
I agree with you, but Pikeville happens to be on the same side of the bracket as Dunbar and Manual.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

Faiyad
Wakka
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Faiyad » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 am

grayson77 wrote:
Faiyad wrote:Having had played both Russell and Pikeville on numerous occasions, I'd have to say Pikeville is better.
I agree with you, but Pikeville happens to be on the same side of the bracket as Dunbar and Manual.

I see. Eh whatever, lol.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15

Church51907
Wakka
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Church51907 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Hope everyone is doing well and good luck to all teams at state!

Did the KAAC do any seeding for the pools? They look much more balanced than last year. In one pool last year, Dunbar, Russell, and Simon Kenton were all in the same one.

Both sides look pretty even with the top half having Dunbar, Manual, Simon Kenton, Pikeville, Adair County, Edmondson County, Eastern, and Fleming Count, while the lower half has Danville, St.X, Grayson, Russell, Johnson Central, MNH, Campbell County, and KCD.

Anyone have any predictions?

Matt
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 pm

I think that we may see some surprises at state this year.
If we get a good draw and play well, we may do better than people are expecting.
The pool with Edmonson, Flemming, and Edmonson will be interesting to see as far as second place.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

jackatthedisco
Lulu
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:53 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by jackatthedisco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Church51907 wrote:Hope everyone is doing well and good luck to all teams at state!

Did the KAAC do any seeding for the pools? They look much more balanced than last year. In one pool last year, Dunbar, Russell, and Simon Kenton were all in the same one.

Both sides look pretty even with the top half having Dunbar, Manual, Simon Kenton, Pikeville, Adair County, Edmondson County, Eastern, and Fleming Count, while the lower half has Danville, St.X, Grayson, Russell, Johnson Central, MNH, Campbell County, and KCD.

Anyone have any predictions?

Matt
U of L
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I do not find the brackets to be very fair this year. I'm very happy for Russel, but Pikeville has been on the same side of the bracket as Dunbar for the past three years. Even last year, when we won our region, we were with them. I understand luck of the draw and all, but that still doesn't make it fair.

Also, what did the Arts/Humanities testers think of the Region test? Patrick Cox (from Marion County) and I have talked about it, and we don't understand the social studies questions on there (exactly how is an Art person supposed to know the Avingon Papacy?), nor the extremely obscure actual fine arts questions. To quote myself, "KAAC seems to a have a problem of thinking that obscurity equals difficulty."
Jack Carter, Pikeville, Senior. :D
"We are nothing without our image. Without our projection. Without the spiritual hologram of who we percieve ourselves to be, or to become rather, in the future. When you're lonely, I'll be lonely too. And this is The Fame."

Faiyad
Wakka
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Faiyad » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm

jackatthedisco wrote:
Church51907 wrote:Hope everyone is doing well and good luck to all teams at state!

Did the KAAC do any seeding for the pools? They look much more balanced than last year. In one pool last year, Dunbar, Russell, and Simon Kenton were all in the same one.

Both sides look pretty even with the top half having Dunbar, Manual, Simon Kenton, Pikeville, Adair County, Edmondson County, Eastern, and Fleming Count, while the lower half has Danville, St.X, Grayson, Russell, Johnson Central, MNH, Campbell County, and KCD.

Anyone have any predictions?

Matt
U of L
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I do not find the brackets to be very fair this year. I'm very happy for Russel, but Pikeville has been on the same side of the bracket as Dunbar for the past three years. Even last year, when we won our region, we were with them. I understand luck of the draw and all, but that still doesn't make it fair.

Also, what did the Arts/Humanities testers think of the Region test? Patrick Cox (from Marion County) and I have talked about it, and we don't understand the social studies questions on there (exactly how is an Art person supposed to know the Avingon Papacy?), nor the extremely obscure actual fine arts questions. To quote myself, "KAAC seems to a have a problem of thinking that obscurity equals difficulty."
You are a Junior and your signature says Sophomore, bro.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15

FCPanther
Wakka
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:34 am
Location: Northeastern KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by FCPanther » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Jack,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pikeville is in a prelim. bracket with: Corbin, Marion Co., and Eastern, so there's no way you'd play Dunbar until the elimination rounds.

The second part of my point is this: and perhaps where I could be off. After the prelims single elimination is seeded based on record first, and then points scored. Don't they throw out the top/bottom bracket thing then and go to straight seeding 1-16? If that's the case then your prelim record would determine who you play. (or am I wrong, do they keep the top/bottom bracket and just seed 1-8 in the top and 1-8 in the bottom). Please let me know if I'm wrong on this.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach

jackatthedisco
Lulu
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:53 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by jackatthedisco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:26 pm

FCPanther wrote:Jack,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pikeville is in a prelim. bracket with: Corbin, Marion Co., and Eastern, so there's no way you'd play Dunbar until the elimination rounds.

The second part of my point is this: and perhaps where I could be off. After the prelims single elimination is seeded based on record first, and then points scored. Don't they throw out the top/bottom bracket thing then and go to straight seeding 1-16? If that's the case then your prelim record would determine who you play. (or am I wrong, do they keep the top/bottom bracket and just seed 1-8 in the top and 1-8 in the bottom). Please let me know if I'm wrong on this.
You're right. Our pool play doesn't include Dunbar (it did my freshman year). However, I hardly see how fair it is that we've had to face, in my opinion, the best team in the state three years in a row before finals.

And, if they continue what they did last year (which I believe they are) then you're wrong. If you look on the .pdf of the bracket, it divides "upper bracket" and "lower bracket" clearly. If they weren't going to keep those for elimination rounds, then why put them on there in the first place?


And thanks, Faiyad. I changed it. :grin:
Jack Carter, Pikeville, Senior. :D
"We are nothing without our image. Without our projection. Without the spiritual hologram of who we percieve ourselves to be, or to become rather, in the future. When you're lonely, I'll be lonely too. And this is The Fame."

FCPanther
Wakka
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:34 am
Location: Northeastern KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by FCPanther » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:31 pm

I noticed the upper/lower bracket thing but wasn't sure if that was a holdover from the previous method of a blind draw.

I also understand you're frustation, but even if I'm wrong (and I very well could be) if you finish strong in prelims you wouldn't play Dunbar until the state semis with the reseeding.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach

jackatthedisco
Lulu
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:53 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by jackatthedisco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:34 pm

FCPanther wrote:I noticed the upper/lower bracket thing but wasn't sure if that was a holdover from the previous method of a blind draw.

I also understand you're frustation, but even if I'm wrong (and I very well could be) if you finish strong in prelims you wouldn't play Dunbar until the state semis with the reseeding.
I hope you are right that they reseed. Honestly, I have no clue if they reseed based on pool play, or if those teams that advance from pool play are simply shuffled again.
Jack Carter, Pikeville, Senior. :D
"We are nothing without our image. Without our projection. Without the spiritual hologram of who we percieve ourselves to be, or to become rather, in the future. When you're lonely, I'll be lonely too. And this is The Fame."

FCPanther
Wakka
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:34 am
Location: Northeastern KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by FCPanther » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:38 pm

I know they reseed based on record and points....ie a 2-0 team plays a 1-2, but I'm not sure if they seed 1-8 from the top bracket and 1-8 from the bottom, or if it's redrawn completely 1-16. I'll have to look that up. I didn't really look at it that closely since Grayson Co. pretty well took care of us early last year.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:41 pm

The brackets do hold for the next day.
Sadly, there is no seeding by points, if it is like it was last year.
The teams are randomly placed in the bracket with pool 1st places playing runner-ups.
Can someone mention this to KAAC?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

FCPanther
Wakka
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:34 am
Location: Northeastern KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by FCPanther » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:42 pm

I stand corrected. Scott thanks for the clarification.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:45 pm

I do think they should reseed the teams based on points.
It seemed pretty clear to me that we were not the worst runner-up, but we still drew Johnson Central.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Or we could just do away with the terrible single elimination and figure out a better format.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

quantumtheory
Lulu
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by quantumtheory » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:42 pm

grayson77 wrote:I do think they should reseed the teams based on points.
It seemed pretty clear to me that we were not the worst runner-up, but we still drew Johnson Central.
Hi Scott,

One problem with seeding is the number of questions read in each match is not consistent because of the imposed match time. All moderators are different and when you are dealing with 16 matches the first two rounds there can be a lot of discrepancy in the number of questions read per match. If the KAAC is going to use "longer" questions I think it is time to look at eliminating the match time and play out all questions. This would at least give a basis for arguing for seeding. There is one other caveat here, the original pools are not seeded and let's make believe Grayson and Pikeville are in the same pool, they could have a real good match with a score of 28-27 (I'll let you decide the winner) but the winner would not get much credit for margin of victory toward the round of 16 seeding.

I know there are a lot of problems with a bracket like this but in most cases the "best" teams on the two days of QR generally make it to the finals. That doesn't mean the best team in the state wins every year.

I hope you agree that the KAAC is moving forward in regards to QR and I think you will see some improvement next year from what I am hearing.

David Cox
Marion County HS
David Cox
Retired Marion County HS Academic Team Coach

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 pm

jackatthedisco wrote:Also, what did the Arts/Humanities testers think of the Region test? Patrick Cox (from Marion County) and I have talked about it, and we don't understand the social studies questions on there (exactly how is an Art person supposed to know the Avingon Papacy?), nor the extremely obscure actual fine arts questions. To quote myself, "KAAC seems to a have a problem of thinking that obscurity equals difficulty."
The test is Arts and Humanities, not fine arts.
The question about the Avignon Papacy was concerned with the Babylonian Captivity/2nd Great Schism. This is an influential part of Roman Catholic history.
There is a distribution part for religion, and I believe that this would qualify in that category.

I thought the test was difficult, but not overwhelmingly so.
You are right about the obscure questions. It seems even stranger to me that they would give a picture of Native American clothing and have us identify it.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

jackatthedisco
Lulu
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:53 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by jackatthedisco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:34 pm

grayson77 wrote:
jackatthedisco wrote:Also, what did the Arts/Humanities testers think of the Region test? Patrick Cox (from Marion County) and I have talked about it, and we don't understand the social studies questions on there (exactly how is an Art person supposed to know the Avingon Papacy?), nor the extremely obscure actual fine arts questions. To quote myself, "KAAC seems to a have a problem of thinking that obscurity equals difficulty."
The test is Arts and Humanities, not fine arts.
The question about the Avignon Papacy was concerned with the Babylonian Captivity/2nd Great Schism. This is an influential part of Roman Catholic history.
There is a distribution part for religion, and I believe that this would qualify in that category.

I thought the test was difficult, but not overwhelmingly so.
You are right about the obscure questions. It seems even stranger to me that they would give a picture of Native American clothing and have us identify it.
Yes, it was related to religion, albeit loosely, but considering how obscure it was, how was an Arts/Humanities person supposed to know it? We're all used to questions about the protestant reformation and such, but this was really pushing it.
Two better examples are the Meiji Restoration question and the Heinrich Schliemann question. Yes, "Humanities" technically entails history, but it also includes literature. But (apart from Drama) there aren't literature questions on the Arts/Humanities test. Why should History questions be there as well? Arts/Humanities is already a broad topic, so why make it even broader?

I have no clue about the picture. Maybe the question writer learned how to import pictures in word? lol
Jack Carter, Pikeville, Senior. :D
"We are nothing without our image. Without our projection. Without the spiritual hologram of who we percieve ourselves to be, or to become rather, in the future. When you're lonely, I'll be lonely too. And this is The Fame."

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by at your pleasure » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:49 pm

jackatthedisco wrote:
grayson77 wrote:
jackatthedisco wrote:Also, what did the Arts/Humanities testers think of the Region test? Patrick Cox (from Marion County) and I have talked about it, and we don't understand the social studies questions on there (exactly how is an Art person supposed to know the Avingon Papacy?), nor the extremely obscure actual fine arts questions. To quote myself, "KAAC seems to a have a problem of thinking that obscurity equals difficulty."
The test is Arts and Humanities, not fine arts.
The question about the Avignon Papacy was concerned with the Babylonian Captivity/2nd Great Schism. This is an influential part of Roman Catholic history.
There is a distribution part for religion, and I believe that this would qualify in that category.

I thought the test was difficult, but not overwhelmingly so.
You are right about the obscure questions. It seems even stranger to me that they would give a picture of Native American clothing and have us identify it.
Yes, it was related to religion, albeit loosely, but considering how obscure it was, how was an Arts/Humanities person supposed to know it? We're all used to questions about the protestant reformation and such, but this was really pushing it.
Two better examples are the Meiji Restoration question and the Heinrich Schliemann question. Yes, "Humanities" technically entails history, but it also includes literature. But (apart from Drama) there aren't literature questions on the Arts/Humanities test. Why should History questions be there as well? Arts/Humanities is already a broad topic, so why make it even broader?

I have no clue about the picture. Maybe the question writer learned how to import pictures in word? lol
Janson's History of Art mentions the Avingon Papacy in the context of the development of the International Gothic style, but that's about all I can find and the International Gothic is such a niche topic for quizbowl that it should probably not show up in high school.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Uh, that Avignon papacy isn't obscure.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:58 pm

Katamari Damacy wrote:Uh, that Avignon papacy isn't obscure.
That's what I was trying to say. We actually spent quite a bit of time on it in AP European.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:07 pm

grayson77 wrote:
Katamari Damacy wrote:Uh, that Avignon papacy isn't obscure.
That's what I was trying to say. We actually spent quite a bit of time on it in AP European.
I think the argument is about whether its impact on art history is obscure (which is, certainly, more debatable) because they're using that as their criterion for inclusion on a test that they conceive of as being mostly about arts.
Andrew Watkins

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by at your pleasure » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
grayson77 wrote:
Katamari Damacy wrote:Uh, that Avignon papacy isn't obscure.
That's what I was trying to say. We actually spent quite a bit of time on it in AP European.
I think the argument is about whether its impact on art history is obscure (which is, certainly, more debatable) because they're using that as their criterion for inclusion on a test that they conceive of as being mostly about arts.
Correct. My argument is not that the avingon papacy is obscure(it is not) but that it should not be on a art-history focused test because the aspect of art history it is most directly relevant to(the development Internation Gothic) is obscure or at least quite a ways outside of the high school canon.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:17 pm

jackatthedisco wrote: We're all used to questions about the protestant reformation and such, but this was really pushing it.
The Avignon Papacy is a major event in Church history, and helped contribute to the political and religious climate that spawned the Reformation. It's routinely taught in both high school and lower level college classes, and is definitely not obscure.
KAAC Arts and Humanities Content Areas wrote: 13 World Religions, Religious Leaders and Religious History
Since KAAC includes religion in the A&H content area, then you should expect to see occasional questions on major religious events such as the Avignon Papacy on the test.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

User avatar
Huang
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Kentucky 09-10

Post by Huang » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Speaking of Gov Cup tests, I particularly enjoyed the Joseph Schumpeter and Irving Fisher questions on the social studies test. The social science questions certainly have become a lot less fake.

Edit: Yeah, backing up Nick's statement. This is what Gov Cup covers for "Arts and Humanities."
Visual Art: Elements of Art, Principles of Design, Media, Processes, Purposes of Art
Visual Art: Artists and Their Works—Emphasis on Leonardo, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Caravaggio, David, Constable, Goya, Courbet, Manet, Monet, Van Gogh, Cassatt, Rodin, Dali, Picasso, Warhol, O’Keefe, Lange
Visual Art: Art Periods, Themes, Styles, Historical/Cultural Aspects
Architecture—Emphasis on Middle Eastern and Asian and Ancient Greece and Rome; Architects—Emphasis on Michelangelo, Thomas Jefferson, Frank Lloyd Wright; National and World Landmarks
Elements, Purposes and Styles of Music
Composers and Their Works—Emphasis on Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Modern American and Contemporary
Music: Movements, Time Periods, Historical and Cultural Aspects
Musical Theatre, Opera, Operettas
Elements of Dance, Dance Forms, Dance Movements, Choreography, Choreographic Forms
Dancers and Choreographers; Historical/Cultural Aspects of Dancers and Choreographers
Philosophy
World Cultures--Emphasis on Asian Culture
World Religions, Religious Leaders and Religious History
Mythology: Gods and Goddesses (Emphasis on Greek/Roman)
Mythology: Characters, Themes (Emphasis on Greek/Roman)
Contemporary Drama, Music and Art--1940 to Present
Drama/Theater: Elements, Formats
Most-often performed Dramas and Plays
Film Masterpieces, Documentaries, Famous Directors
Sandy

Locked