Possible Tournament in Buffalo Area

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Possible Tournament in Buffalo Area

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

Hi everyone

I am a member of a team in Clarence, NY (just outside Buffalo), and I would like to gauge the level of interest in a tournament in our area. There is a local league that plays weekly matches on WLVL AM 1340, but that is only late-January to early-April, and I want to have a tournament with more than those eight or so teams (and most of them live quite a bit out of the way, so not very many will probably be able to attend). Before I actually go through the red tape of organizing, I want to know who would be interested. Obviously Williamsville, Amherst, Tonawanda, and other area schools are welcome, but we are really looking for teams outside the immediate vicinity, like from Batavia or Rochester, or from the Southtowns. PLEASE respond if you are interested. This is not binding, but I wnat to know whether it would be worth the effort to organize or not.

Thanks
M6K
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
STPickrell
Auron

Re: Possible Tournament in Buffalo Area

Post by STPickrell »

Melkor6000 wrote:Hi everyone

I am a member of a team in Clarence, NY (just outside Buffalo), and I would like to gauge the level of interest in a tournament in our area. There is a local league that plays weekly matches on WLVL AM 1340, but that is only late-January to early-April, and I want to have a tournament with more than those eight or so teams (and most of them live quite a bit out of the way, so not very many will probably be able to attend). Before I actually go through the red tape of organizing, I want to know who would be interested. Obviously Williamsville, Amherst, Tonawanda, and other area schools are welcome, but we are really looking for teams outside the immediate vicinity, like from Batavia or Rochester, or from the Southtowns. PLEASE respond if you are interested. This is not binding, but I wnat to know whether it would be worth the effort to organize or not.

Thanks
M6K
I did a Google a few years back for 'Scholastic Bowl.' I remember one of the results was a league centered around Batavia, including schools like Byron-Bergen and Elba (which is where my father-in-law graduated from many years ago.)
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

WLVL's Scholastic Bowl is mostly in Niagara County, like Lewiston-Porter, Niagara-Wheatfield, Wilson, etc
I have never heard of one near Batavia, I haven't really looked, though
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

but we are really looking for teams outside the immediate vicinity, like from Batavia or Rochester, or from the Southtowns.

Thanks
M6K
Have you considered checking around on the other side of the border? I think there's a pretty well-established Reach for the Top league in the Toronto area that's probably within fairly easy driving distance.
Kevin Commo
Coach, Burlington (Vt.) HS
Tournament Director, Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl
Director of Staffing and Statistics, International Academic Competitions
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

kcommo wrote:

but we are really looking for teams outside the immediate vicinity, like from Batavia or Rochester, or from the Southtowns.

Thanks
M6K
Have you considered checking around on the other side of the border? I think there's a pretty well-established Reach for the Top league in the Toronto area that's probably within fairly easy driving distance.
That's a good idea. There are Reach leagues in Niagara, Toronto, York, Waterloo, Guelph, Windsor, and London, and several of these teams have started playing tossup/bonus quizbowl. If you need any help, let me know at greenwoc AT uoguelph DOT ca. Good luck!
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!