Texas '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
New York Undercover
Wakka

Texas '09-'10

Post by New York Undercover »

While I think the discussion on the other thread has certainly been productive, I'm making this thread for projections for next year and to talk about TQBA competition dates and stuff when they are finalized.

Anyway, I think Thomas's prediction in the other thread (1. Lasa, 2. St Mark's, 3. Bellaire/SJS) is pretty accurate. However, I'm hoping that Klein will at least competitive, maybe pulling some upsets. Meh. It'll just depend on how much the others study (since I will be studying about as much as possible) and how much we improve as a team.
I'm going to see what I can do about getting some other quizbowlers I know on this forum, and reading packets. Hopefully, not only will we start to get teams more into pyramidal questions, but see a significant increase in the quality of play across the board.
cdcarter
Yuna

Re: Texas '09-'10

Post by cdcarter »

I can safely say, on behalf of the 2009 Fall Novice Tournament "management", that we would love to see a mirror of the Fall Novice set go up in Texas, and we think Texas could benefit a lot from it. The set is of A-level difficulty, but with standard length pyramidal questions. If there are any teams in Texas that would like to host this tournament, especially schools to less competitive schools, we would love to have it. The information about the tournament and bidding to mirror it can be found here. If you have any other questions, you can email me at [email protected]!
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
mavstats
Lulu

Post by mavstats »

Next year:
1. LASA. Not even close

At this point, I think it gets all hazy. Who on St. Mark's is still there? And who isn't? (Read: Stewie). If he's there, they can compete.
St. John's will be a normal St. John's team: plenty of normal talent, but, true to form, we never study.
Bellaire is below this tier, based on what we saw this year. That being said, they improved a lot over the summer last year, but I wouldn't expect anyone to improve like Shanna did.
Pulak, time will tell for Klein. The last time we played y'all at an NAQT tournament, 3 freshman and a sophomore beat your A Team by 200 points. We got crushed at Chip by that same team, but the argument over formats belongs in the other forums. But I agree with you on one thing: you will pull a couple upsets next year. Y'all have the depth and talent for that.

And never forget Temple. I don't think they've won a tournament, but they always knock off someone.
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Just out of curiosity, and for the benefit of my cousins, are there any teams or tournaments within 90 minutes of the Dallas area?
Cresston Gackle
University of Minnesota '13
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

Just out of curiosity, and for the benefit of my cousins, are there any teams or tournaments within 90 minutes of the Dallas area?
Yes. St. Mark's hosted a tournament last year that attracted 11 area teams, and, though it is a little more than a 90 minute drive, there have been tournaments in Temple for the past couple of years. I in no way speak for the people who hosted those tournaments, but I see no reason why this pattern would not continue.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Who's returning to LASA next year?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

Who's returning to LASA next year?
Everybody.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Will Alex Brown of St. Mark's be back?
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

Only Stewart and Max will be back at St. Mark's.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
New York Undercover
Wakka

is lasa's fall novice mirror gonna be announced here? at any rate klein is very probably interested. date looks good so far
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

The details were just posted in the regular season tournament announcements thread.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
New York Undercover
Wakka

Just to have it in this thread:
Romero wrote:There will be a TQBA event at Plano Senior on October 17th. This event (along with St. Marks in Spring) will fulfill my goal of assuring a minimum of two pyramidal events in the DFW area next year.

Texas Quiz Bowl Schedule
September 12, 2009 LASA Event (Austin)
September 26, 2009 Texas Quiz Bowl Kickoff (Katy)
October 17, 2009 Fall Event #2 (Plano)
November 14, 2009 Fall Event #3 (TBA)
December 12, 2009 Houston Holiday Hoedown (TBA)
To Be Announced Spring Event #1 (TBA)
February 6, 2010 St. Marks Event (Dallas)
To Be Announced Texas State Championship (TBA)
To Be Announced Nationals Prep Event (Houston)
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

Results from LASA's mirror of Fall Novice can be found at https://webspace.utexas.edu/arb2353/www ... dings.html
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
New York Undercover
Wakka

I'm very much looking forward to the tournament this weekend. Not sure who is going to come in second, though I would guess Bellaire or SJS over St. Marks (not that I've actually seen St. Mark's play). Rumble on the Pike people seemed to really like IS-86 so that should be cool too.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

David Arquette wrote:Rumble on the Pike people seemed to really like IS-86 so that should be cool too.
Yeah, it really was an improvement. You still had a few bizarre answers (yay "general knowledge" distribution and lack of fine arts) but it was a marked improvement from the last NAQT set i saw, that's for sure. I still think that even these "regular" sets just have questions that are too short... we're used to practicing on ones with 5-6 (or more) lines, and these were never more than 4 and i can remember some that were just 3. But other than that, i was pleased to see one of the best NAQT sets i've ever read through. I hope you guys play well on it.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
New York Undercover
Wakka

Thanks!
Is there an official NAQT distribution for other than the HSNCT? I see this for HSNCT and this post but i don't see anything like that post on the NAQT website.
New York Undercover
Wakka

Found this that answers my question.
Anyway, today's tournament went pretty well. We were slightly disappointed with our performance (8th/17) but I know that at the very least I am much more motivated to study a lot harder. IS-86 wasn't bad. I didn't love it but I have no experience with the last 5 years of NAQT so I'll accept that it's much better.
We played individual "rounds" on HSAPQ questions. That was quite fun; seeing LASA players power this way and that was pretty amazing. It was also a little humorous/surprising to see HSAPQ questions turn into "buzzer races" before power on many questions when a clue was read that was slightly more well known.

I'm hoping that the individual tournament at LASA's dunbar fall mirror will be as awesome but that I will be much better then. We'll see how much I practice I guess.
muleroid
Lulu

Post by muleroid »

Agreed, Pulak.

'twas good and fun to play everybody and shake off the rust from the summer. I'm glad that you're motivated to study (perhaps this signals a change towards HSAPQ or even PACE? :grin: ), and I hope to watch you guys develop throughout the year.

Regarding the questions, I feel that the literature and arts distribution was severely cut down. As Benji said, there were hardly any composer questions at all. Upon looking at the packets I got from Chris, I was disappointed to find that most of the good tossups (read: literature and arts) were after tossup 20, meaning that there was no possible way they would be read. I think this only highlights the weakness of NAQT's set distribution. Either they should move to packet distribution, or lower the number of questions per set so that tossups about more academic things can take the place of miscellaneous questions. Maybe then my art distribution would be better.

The shift towards math calc bonuses seems to have worked out for the worst, however, considering that almost every match would get one or two comp math bonuses. That's slightly ridiculous.

Overall, though, some of the questions were well written and enjoyable, some were not. I think we'll have to wait for the rest of this year's sets to come out to see if NAQT truly has made the improvements they promised.
Shen Gong
LASA '10
UChicago '14
Auron

muleroid wrote:The shift towards math calc bonuses seems to have worked out for the worst, however, considering that almost every match would get one or two comp math bonuses. That's slightly ridiculous.
So skip them. When you hold a tournament, announce that you're not going to do any math calc at all. Or, suggest to future tournaments that they do the same. That's what happened at Richard Montgomery in Maryland a few weeks ago on this same set, and it was a wonderful day.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
New York Undercover
Wakka

I was thinking about that too. I can certainly hope that that will be the case at future TQBA tournaments; it didn't seem to me as if other teams were particularly keen on comp math; when I would power (or really, even get) a comp math toss-up they would congratulate me. Bonus conversion on comp math didn't seem great, and there was one PARTICULARLY egregious bonus that I think was like much worse than the comp math bonuses I would see written by chip.
I was afraid (and I got the impression, talking to Mr Romero some) that some teams are insistent on keeping the comp math in quizbowl. Maybe this isn't the case.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

If the mentality among many Texas teams is anything similar to Illinois, they want to keep comp math because they consider it to be a "real" subject (as opposed to literature and the arts), or because it's fairly entrenched in high school curricula.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
muleroid
Lulu

Post by muleroid »

Generally it's noted that many Texas teams are content with comp math and generalist questions, thus the difficulty in trying to turn Texas towards more academic formats.
Shen Gong
LASA '10
UChicago '14
Knot Gneiss
Lulu

Post by Knot Gneiss »

Stats for the tournament:

http://texasquizbowl.org/d/09Kickoff/Ki ... dings.html

I think there were some stat-keeping errors here and there (at least for LASA A, we had about 4 or 5 powers omitted in various places, and I don't think we really had 30 bonus conversion in our game against St. Mark's).

I didn't think IS-86 was as awful as some of last year's sets. Shen echoes most of my issues with the set (weird answer selection, some shafted distributions). For the most part, though, it was an improvement. To me, the highlight of the day was the HSAPQ singles tournament. Bonuses weren't used, so I don't know too much about any repeat issues mentioned in other threads, but I enjoyed the tossups, though many of them had easy first or second clues, leading to a lot of early buzzer races, as Pulak mentioned. (By the way, Pulak, great showing for your first pyramidal quizbowl tournament.)
Benji Nguyen
LASA
Stanford
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Most of the repeats were in the bonuses. I counted at least three giveways that were too easy.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
New York Undercover
Wakka

yeah we got to very few giveaways and read no bonuses
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Oh, wait, I meant lead-ins. That'll teach me to post without checking myself.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Did only some of the teams get offered more than five games? I have to admit I'm not sure how that worked.
Fred Morlan
New York Undercover
Wakka

K let's see what I can do here

Prelim group A:
LASA A
Seven Lakes A
Klein
St Stephen's A
Clear Lake B

Prelim group B:
St Marks
LASA B
Bellaire A
Clear Lake A
St Stephen's B
LASA C

Prelim group C:
Collins
St John's
Temple A
Bellaire B
Seven Lakes B
Clear Lake C

JV Group:
St John's JV
Collins JV
Temple JV
LASA JV
Seven Lakes JV

All groups had full round robin.
Top 2 from each of groups A,B,C were rebracketed in finals bracket D
next 2 each in finals bracket E
next 2 in F

Brackets D and E also did a full round robin. Unfortunately, after 1 game in the second "round", Temple A left. Additionally, the Bellaire A v. Klein game seems to have been lost.
Bracket F didn't get to play any more games because of a lack of moderators, meaning Clear Lake B, who was in prelim bracket A, where there were only 5 teams, got owned and only played 4 games total.
Final standings were, I think: 1/2. LASA A/B (they decided to do the final back at home since it was late when we ended all rounds and individual rounds), 3. St Marks, 4. Seven Lakes, 5. Collins, 6. St Johns, 7. Bellaire A, 8. Klein (and the rest is all kind of muddied up because of Temple leaving).

This was the first tournament that my team had attended with a "finals" round robin bracket, and some of my teammates complained that we got unfairly stuck in Bracket E and had no shot at playing some of the other, better teams. While I am supportive of 2 round robins meaning everyone gets to play more games, I somewhat agreed with their complaint, in the sense that prelim group C seemed to be weaker than the other 2 (in that I think both Bellaire A and Klein could've played close matches against both St Johns and Collins).

I was a little surprised when Temple left; we were waiting in our room for about 20 minutes before I decided to go and look for the Tournament Director. Overall, I thought organization was somewhat lacking (we ended about 90 minutes late), but hopefully this was due to playing 3 individual rounds which threw everything off schedule, and future TQBA tournaments will run more smoothly.
sportfreak1881
Lulu

Post by sportfreak1881 »

As a relative novice (third year competing) playing for the upstart program of Prosper (starting its fourth year), I have a couple questions about Quiz bowl and Texas in particular, some related to the previous forum. I just hope somebody will let me pick their brain for a while.

What are the major formats and what differentiates them? It may seem basic, but we have only competed in NAQT tournaments, participated in several KMO's, winning one, and I have heard of PACE once or twice. I have tried to pick up on details, but it is quite an overload of information.

Secondly, outside of NAQT's "You gotta know sections", what are some similar resources to help raise my individual performance?

lastly, we have qualified for NAQT nationals twice (albeit in Oklahoma) and attended once. However, I felt outclassed. We are not yet near the level of St. Marks, John Cooper, Bellaire, LASA, St. Johns, or Klein, some of whom have taken us to the woodshed. Outside of canon study and recruiting friends, what can be done to help the program take root and flourish?

Oh, my two cents about DFW quiz bowl. We have attended several Katy tournaments, and, while pleased by the competition and organization, it is somewhat of a hike and, unfortunately, cancellations occur more often than I wish. I was looking forward to the Plano tournament, but that did not pan out. St. Marks is the only local tourney, which we had to forego last year. Our only option is to continue to compete in OK, which has been awesome. Now i understand as a smaller (enrollment of 700 ish) and unestablished school, Prosper does not register on the national or state radar, but one or two more tournaments nearby would certainly help break the vicious cycle of lack of tournaments, lack of interest

Thank you for your time, anyone who can comment!

Brian Lanier, Prosper High '11

"Everything is awesome, fundamentally"
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

Hey Brian, it's great to see that you're interested in participating more in Texas quiz bowl.

To answer your questions:
  • 1. Most of the major formats that are played in Texas (NAQT, HSAPQ, and Chip) are differentiated by their distributions i.e. how many questions per round come from what areas of knowledge. In general, NAQT has less emphasis on academic subjects than HSAPQ and more focus on things like general knowledge. If you want to improve at quiz bowl, I would suggest not playing in Chip events because those feature bad questions in terms of both structure and academic content (more info about Chip can be found at http://www.doc-ent.com/qbwiki/index.php ... of_the_NAC). PACE is an organization that runs a national championship, with distribution roughly like that seen in HSAPQ, each year but does not produce questions other than that.
    2. If you want a list of mostly canonical things that come up, look at http://ai.stanford.edu/~csewell/culture/. I would also recommend reading old packets, which can be found at, among other sites, http://quizbowlpackets.com/.
    3. Outside of the things you mentioned, the best thing you can do is coming to tournaments. Look at http://www.texasquizbowl.org/ and see which tournaments you can attend. Continue going to Oklahoma. I know St. Mark's is hosting a tournament in the spring. The more you play, the better you will become.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

sportfreak1881 wrote: Now i understand as a smaller (enrollment of 700 ish) and unestablished school, Prosper does not register on the national or state radar
Don't let this get you down, my friend. I'm pretty sure that the high school enrollment at St. Anselm's isn't much more than 150. All it takes is one dedicated person (you!), and you all can be relevant in no time. Study old packets, especially easy college/hard high school ones, and go to as many tournaments as you can. St. Anselm's has gone from DC afterthought to relatively respected program in what amounts to about nine months. It's not so hard; I'm sure you can do the same.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
sportfreak1881
Lulu

Post by sportfreak1881 »

Thank you for the advice and the Stanford site is perfect.

By any chance do you know anything about the Texas Winter Training Camp outside the standard info my coach gave me?

Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

By any chance do you know anything about the Texas Winter Training Camp outside the standard info my coach gave me?
I don't have any details in particular, but more information can be found at http://www.texasquizbowl.org/d/TeamTexas/camp.htm.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
muleroid
Lulu

Post by muleroid »

sportfreak1881 wrote:Thank you for the advice and the Stanford site is perfect.

You should get in touch with Chris Romero for that.

Also, if what i've gleaned is accurate, the more people who show up, the better this Camp will be. So definitely consider going if you're interested.
Shen Gong
LASA '10
UChicago '14
sportfreak1881
Lulu

Post by sportfreak1881 »

I'm definitely considering, it sounds like a good opportunity

Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Arquette wrote:Thanks!
Is there an official NAQT distribution for other than the HSNCT? I see this for HSNCT and this post but i don't see anything like that post on the NAQT website.
Here's the distribution for the 2009-2010 Invitational Series:
http://www.naqt.com/hs/distribution.jsp
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
sportfreak1881
Lulu

Post by sportfreak1881 »

Did the event at Plano Sr. High not make?

muleroid
Lulu

Post by muleroid »

sportfreak1881 wrote:Did the event at Plano Sr. High not make?
It was moved to Temple.
Shen Gong
LASA '10
UChicago '14
sportfreak1881
Lulu

Post by sportfreak1881 »

Oh ok, that makes sense

DRed91
Kimahri

Post by DRed91 »

Hmmm, hasn't been something posted in here in a while. So I might as well say something and I figure Temple High needs someone to post around here, haha.

I'm looking forward to the next tournament on the 23rd considering the two cancellations last semester I hope everything goes smoothly there. I'm glad Temple, through some good luck, managed to score 2nd place in our "TQBA Central Texas Open", tournament, so we're going to Nationals again this year. I'm quite happy for that and hope we can get at least two rounds into the playoffs this time, and maybe win a Texas tourney! I at least want one tourney win before Temple drops off next year when I'm gone.

By the way, sorry for bugging out early on the Kickoff tournament, it is a 3 hour tour.....drive back to Temple and our Coach figured if we weren't in it to win it..have a chance for first, that we might as well start back now *IE when we left*
Auron

DRed91 wrote:Hmmm, hasn't been something posted in here in a while. So I might as well say something and I figure Temple High needs someone to post around here, haha.

I'm looking forward to the next tournament on the 23rd considering the two cancellations last semester I hope everything goes smoothly there. I'm glad Temple, through some good luck, managed to score 2nd place in our "TQBA Central Texas Open", tournament, so we're going to Nationals again this year. I'm quite happy for that and hope we can get at least two rounds into the playoffs this time, and maybe win a Texas tourney! I at least want one tourney win before Temple drops off next year when I'm gone.

By the way, sorry for bugging out early on the Kickoff tournament, it is a 3 hour tour.....drive back to Temple and our Coach figured if we weren't in it to win it..have a chance for first, that we might as well start back now *IE when we left*
Hey, welcome to the boards. What's your name? Make sure to enable a signature.

What "Nationals" tournament are you guys going to be headed to, if you don't mind me asking? HSNCT? If so, good luck and we hope to see you there. You guys are an up-and-coming team and could very well win a few playoff games. We hope to do the same.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
DRed91
Kimahri

Post by DRed91 »

Ah, I feel silly for not enabling the signature, got myself a warning because of that.

But yes I'm talking about HSNCT. I went last year as a Junior and I look forward to going back to Chicago this year! Even got to go to a Cubs game last year. Thanks for the up-and-coming remark. I was pleased when I saw us mentioned in the High School Preseason Top 50.

I know next year we're going to have a massive drop off though considering we only have 2 current Juniors in our top two teams. It's why I'm trying to train some of the younger ones to take my place in the History section, haha.
David Ready
Temple High School 07-10
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

Hey, welcome to the forums. It's always good to see other people in Texas take an interest in doing well on a national level. I really hope to see you guys at our mirror of UGA classic (more info can be found at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9222).
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
etchdulac
Rikku

Texas at NAC

Post by etchdulac »

A little bit of good news at least... Texas schools' participation in NAC is down some, by my count of 8. Chapin and Coronado from El Paso; Klein, Alvin and John Cooper JV from the Houston area; Shepton and TAMS from the Metroplex; and Odessa out west.

(There's also a Belton I'm guessing is in Missouri and a Gilmer I'm guessing is in Georgia.)

That's down from 11 or 12 last year, mainly because Plano and Plano East are entirely absent.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Never mind. Schedule for Chicago branch of NAC just posted, and Plano ISD's crowd is there. Sigh.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00