Bettendorf Novice and Varsity 10/10/09 (IA) DATE CHANGE

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
gack1224
Wakka

Bettendorf Novice and Varsity 10/10/09 (IA) DATE CHANGE

Post by gack1224 »

Bettendorf F/S and Varsity Side-By-Side Event
October 10, 2009
Bettendorf High, 3333 18th St., Bettendorf IA 52722

This event will be held on the 10th instead of the 17th because of a conflict with State Marching Band Contest.

Format: Fall Novice Set for Varsity. NAQT 87A for Novice.
Round-robin play for pools of 8 teams each. Untimed rounds.

Check-in will begin at 8:20 a.m. Coaches' meeting at 8:35 a.m. First round at 8:50 a.m. An hour will be set aside for lunch.

Costs: Novice teams: $35 per team, -5 for a working buzzer set (limit 2), additional teams $20
For Varsity teams, add $10 per team and per additional.

Please make checks payable to: BHS Scholastic Bowl. Cash or checks will be due at check-in. Purchase orders are acceptable.

Awards: Trophies will be given to the top four teams. Medallions will be awarded to the top four individual scorers (morning scores only). Each division will receive their own set of prizes. Novice division will have only 2 trophies due to a small field.

Registration: Cresston Gackle (gack1224 [at] gmail.com) is the tournament director. Email with the following information and any questions:

1) Your school's name, city, state
2) Coach's (or representative's) name (and email address, if different)
3) Number of teams
4) Number of buzzer systems
5) Names of each player for each team (if possible)

We would like #5 to be completed a few days ahead of the tournament.

Deadline: October 3 (CLOSED)

Concessions will NOT be provided; directions to nearby restaurants will be provided instead.

Field:
Abingdon 1V, 1N + 1B
Bettendorf 2V, 1N + 1B
Davenport Central 1V, 2N + 1B
Dewitt 1V + 1B
Moline 1V + 1B
North English 1N
Sterling 1N + 1B
Wilton 2V + 1B
-----Totals
8V, 6N, 7B
Last edited by gack1224 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Cresston Gackle
University of Minnesota '13
Charley Pride
Rikku

Re: Bettendorf F/S and Varsity 10/17/09 (IA)

Post by Charley Pride »

This would be a very intriguing tournament for Illinois teams if you could serve up an HSAPQ set for the varsity tournament. This tournament definitely has a chance to be a big deal.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
gack1224
Wakka

Re: Bettendorf F/S and Varsity 10/17/09 (IA)

Post by gack1224 »

The schedule is up at the link provided. Basically, we want to get going at 8:50 and get people to lunch by 12:30. I decided to put in about 40 min. to account for breakdowns, i.e. not everyone gets done between 25 and 30 min.

Hopefully, everyone will be on their way home a little after 5:30 p.m. Of course, that depends on the field, which could easily be smaller than 16 teams or whatever.

As for an HSAPQ set, it's a possibility. I encourage coaches that want an HSAPQ set to email me so that I can give you all a definite answer before you sign up, as it seems that that may be a prerequisite for your attendance (?). I personally like NAQT sets just as well or more....

I want to know how many Illinois team would like to come and play on an HSAPQ set before I commit to asking and receiving a set from HSAPQ when traditionally it has been an NAQT set.
Cresston Gackle
gack1224
Wakka

Re: Bettendorf Novice and Varsity 10/17/09 (IA)

Post by gack1224 »

Yay, we got permission to use the Fall Novice set. Also, it is definite that we will obtain, at HSAPQ's discretion/ability, a mACF packet for the varsity division.

As far as the division goes, mostly discretion. I encourage Illinois teams to bring their F/S teams to the Novice division. As for Iowa teams, still up in the air given the amount of activity, yet age difference.

Potential Moderators/Readers+Scorers: I'll keep you posted. I need to do the math before I announce anything.
Cresston Gackle
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Bettendorf Novice and Varsity 10/10/09 (IA) DATE CHANGE

Post by AKKOLADE »

How'd this go?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

There are some stats, possibly incomplete, here. Cresston also mentioned in an email that the novice division was won by Davenport Central (IA), with Sterling (IL) second; and the varsity division was also won by Davenport Central, followed by Moline (IL), Bettendorf, and Dewitt (IA).
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

The results Jonah listed are correct; the Taft stats are for Varsity only.
The stats for the Novice/Frosh.-Soph. division will be up on the NAQT site in the next week or so.
The Fall Novice Set was fine, though I would estimate that it was slightly above the field's general strength.

There were a few dubious questions in both the Fall Novice Set and 87A, but I haven't gotten around to noting those to anyone who's in charge.

As for the tournament itself, due to the fact that my moderators are new at this, morning rounds (7) ended around 1:30.
Some teams brought so many participants, they basically had two teams and it's impossible to fit more than 6 people per team in Taft, so that's why there's the weird "Other" that played a few games too many. Also, SQBS was not installed on a particular computer, so novice stats are now delayed and determining top scorers was a bit of chaos.

Otherwise, I think most people, especially players, enjoyed it.
Cresston Gackle
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

gack1224 wrote:There were a few dubious questions in ... 87A, but I haven't gotten around to noting those to anyone who's in charge.
Please do send me a note and we'll double-check them.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred