Ohio '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Ohio '09-'10

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

With the loss of one Ike Jose and a host of other very talented seniors across Ohio, the state is completely up for grabs.

The Contenders

Walnut Hills - Ohio's best-placing team in the regular playoffs at HSNCT, they only lose one player, albeit their best one, but they are very deep and will still probably be the class of the state, just not to the degree they were in '08-'09. Year after year they are at the top of Ohio Quizbowl despite barely traveling. If they start to travel and get some real TU/B experience, watch out.

Ottawa Hills - Ohio's best performing team at the HSNCT, winning the small school title, loses two key players but returns Nirbhay Jain, who is incredibly talented. Tournaments against Michigan's best and not playing OAC will ensure they will be very competitive come State and National championship time. I just wish they traveled within Ohio more.

Solon - Like Walnut Hills, year after year they are at the top, and like Walnut Hills, they lose only one player, but a very good one. They'll be very good this year, as their B team traveled all around, even going 5-5 at the HSNCT. I don't know how they'll stack up against a Peter Komarek-less Walnut Hills, however.

Olmstead Falls - If they start traveling more, watch out for the name Jim Coury. He led the NAQT State Championship in scoring by a good margin as a Sophomore and he had basically no help around him. He might get some this year, and if he does, watch out. They can be a great team.

Northmont - Brandon Williams and teammate Michael Czupryn were a fairly formidible duo as Sophs last year and they should only get better this year. If they can cut out their Good Northmont/Bad Northmont inconsistancies, they could compete at the very top.

The Players To Watch

Jim Coury, Olmstead Falls
Jackson Kulas, Copley
Brandon Williams, Northmont
Jasper Lee, Solon
Nirbhay Jain, Ottawa Hills
Jon Moller, Walnut Hills
Max Bucher, Walnut Hills

Anyway, those are just some of m y thoughts
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Ohio '09-'10

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Inkana7 wrote:With the loss of one Ike Jose and a host of other very talented seniors across Ohio, the state is completely up for grabs.
I kinda disagree with that part since most of the good Ohio teams last year are still around, and it's pretty unlikely any team other than those five will win a state championship, really.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Bird Sonata wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:With the loss of one Ike Jose and a host of other very talented seniors across Ohio, the state is completely up for grabs.
I kinda disagree with that part since most of the good Ohio teams last year are still around, and it's pretty unlikely any team other than those five will win a state championship, really.
I can agree with this but also disagree. While I doubt anyone from outside those 5 will win a state championship, the fact that there are 5 contenders makes it a pretty open race. Walnut Hills might be on a level a little higher than the other four, but there's really no clear cut #1 team or player this year.
Jarret Greene
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Walnut will win both state titles this year. Grunder can reload like nobody else, and with Jon, Max and Rachel back, I see them as a virtual lock. Solon can probably give them a run in NAQT, and as much as it pains me to say since I hate the format, we might be able to give them a run in OAC since we are better at it than I think we want to be.

Who knows what Ottawa Hills can do since they are a virtual unknown to most of those in Ohio quizbowl, but they show up a couple times a year and kick everyone's butt. They don't play OAC regionals, so they won't win that title, but they could do well at NAQT State. I am going to try and get them to Rowdy Raider this year to duel with Copley, Walnut and some of the Kentucky schools, that might give us a better understanding.

Having played Olmsted Falls just once, I really can't comment, though they beat us handily last year. Looking at stats alone, I would agree that Jim is probably the pre-season best player in the state.

Our team may surprise some this year, as we have alot more balance than I think those in Ohio might perceive. Michael is putting up numbers equal to (and sometimes better than) Brandon in practice, since he plays alot more conservative and Brandon is much more aggressive (sometimes a little too much so). Miranda and Dan are solid in their areas. While I honestly don't know exactly what we are capable of this year, I am optimistic.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

I wish there were more ACF/PACE format tournaments in Ohio.

Based on practices over the summer, I think that our team is pretty unbalanced, as I am better at arts, literature, history, some science, social sciences, geography, and RMP than pretty much all of my teammates. If I played aggressively at tournaments then it would really show, but I do have a habit of not buzzing in, even when pretty sure of an answer. (See my stat lines at HSNCT compared to everyone elses' from Solon)

I didn't play much OAC last year, but virtually everyone on our team(s) dislikes it, so we might not go to as many OAC tournaments as we did in the past. That may be for the better, though.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Solon High School '10
mtelepathic
Kimahri

Post by mtelepathic »

Ummm, someone seems to have forgotten a name: Jarret Greene should be watched this year as well... shouldn't he?
Lei Fan
Walnut Hills HS, '06-'08
Carnegie Mellon, '08-present
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

mtelepathic wrote:Ummm, someone seems to have forgotten a name: Jarret Greene should be watched this year as well... shouldn't he?
Yeah, I was about to say...especially after that last Skype session.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Solon High School '10
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

mtelepathic wrote:Ummm, someone seems to have forgotten a name: Jarret Greene should be watched this year as well... shouldn't he?
Thank you very much, but I think I should prove myself in an actual game against teams before I can be counted up there with the rest of those players. That skype session was lucky. But thank you nonetheless!
Jarret Greene
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Inkana7 wrote:
Thank you very much, but I think I should prove myself in an actual game against teams before I can be counted up there with the rest of those players. That skype session was lucky. But thank you nonetheless!
Thinking about it...I have yet to face you in an actual match. O.o
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Solon High School '10
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Bird Sonata wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:
Thinking about it...I have yet to face you in an actual match. O.o
Yup. I still have a lot to prove, because we really didn't compete that much last year. I should face you many times this year, however. I plan on traveling a lot.
Jarret Greene
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Is anyone else having problems with the Ohio forum?
Greg Bossick
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

No sir.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
PACE
former (?) hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

I am also having problems with the forum.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:Is anyone else having problems with the Ohio forum?
Yes. I have no idea what it is that's showing up in place of the forum.

Edit: It works again!
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Solon High School '10
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Would any Ohio teams be interested in coming down to Lexington, KY? (http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 23#p140523)
Sandy
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Huang wrote:Would any Ohio teams be interested in coming down to Lexington, KY? (http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 23#p140523)
For any of you who don't know or are too lazy to read the tournament invite: the Dunbar tournament is slated to kick some serious...behind. This would be a great experience for any team.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Macho Man for Expediency wrote:
Huang wrote:Would any Ohio teams be interested in coming down to Lexington, KY? (http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 23#p140523)
For any of you who don't know or are too lazy to read the tournament invite: the Dunbar tournament is slated to kick some serious...behind. This would be a great experience for any team.
It's enticing. We may be going to Fisher Catholic that date, but if not, I'll talk to my team about this tournament. It's pretty far away but not too bad.
Jarret Greene
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Looks like in a week, we'll be able to see how Ohio fares against Kentucky teams.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Solon High School '10
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

We'll also get a better idea of who the best teams in Ohio proper are, as close to all of them will be at Wright State.
Jarret Greene
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

I am looking forward to seeing how competitive the Ohio teams at Wright State are.
From the looks of last year's stats and the preseason rankings there will be many formidable teams there.
It will be nice to compete against teams that we usually do not come up against until nationals.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

There are some stats you can look at for this year also. They're indicative of a few things, such as teams not mentioned in the preseason rankings and how much some players have improved. Unfortunately, some teams have yet to play at full strength (Walnut Hills in particular).

Our tournament (Solon's) has had Kentucky teams in attendance recently, so if you are able to get up here, then you'll be seeing more of Ohio, hopefully.

Edit: I wonder how many people know we have our own forum? http://www.createphpbb.com/oac/
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Solon High School '10
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I am trying to build a regional mega-tournament at Parkersburg. C'mon guys!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
PACE
former (?) hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

FredMorlan wrote:I am trying to build a regional mega-tournament at Parkersburg. C'mon guys!
West Virginia looks like an awesome place to have a regional tournament with states like Kentucky, Ohio, and Virginia nearby. If not for school, I would go to the Parkersburg tournament.
Sandy
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Ohio Late Season Update!

Solon is really good, especially on NAQT.

Olmsted Falls and Northmont are right behind them.

So is Copley.

All three of the above schools return just about everyone next year.

Walnut Hills is really good but doesn't play enough.

Ohio is sending 10 teams to the HSNCT. Some will do well, others will have an awful experience.
Jarret Greene
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Inkana7 wrote:
Olmsted Falls and Northmont are right behind them.

So is Copley.

Meaning, Solon will be losing people, but Copley, Olmsted Falls, and Northmont will not be losing anyone major.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Solon High School '10
OFallsJC
Lulu

Post by OFallsJC »

Inkana7 wrote:Olmsted Falls and Northmont are right behind them.

So is Copley.

South Range can definitely beat any of these teams as well.
Jim Coury
Olmsted Falls 2011
Kanye West
Lulu

Post by Kanye West »

Seems like next year will be the year of dynamic duos: Jim and Mike, Brandon and Michael, Nishanth and Eugene, and Jackson and Saajid.
Ashu Udipi
Solon High School '10
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Anybody going to Culver's Midwest Championship on the sectionals set?
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

ryandillon wrote:Anybody going to Culver's Midwest Championship on the sectionals set?
No, South Range is hosting a Trash Tournament that day, so we can't make it.
Last edited by Rufous-capped Thornbill on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarret Greene
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

Isn't Bossick's Basho also being run on the sectionals set? Or is that not happening?
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Anarch wrote:Isn't Bossick's Basho also being run on the sectionals set? Or is that not happening?
If it happens, it will be run on the sectionals set.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Apparently he's trying to get something worked out with St. Charles or someone down near Columbus. I dunno. I hope it happens.
Jarret Greene
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Inkana7 wrote:
ryandillon wrote:Anybody going to Culver's Midwest Championship on the sectionals set?
No, South Range is hosting a Trash Tournament that day, and tons of people should come to it. 1/1 Pokemon distribution!
:w-hat:
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13
VP of Technology, PACE
Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

The Gambler, the Nun, and the Radio wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:
No, South Range is hosting a Trash Tournament that day, and tons of people should come to it. 1/1 Pokemon distribution!
:w-hat:
Yessir.
Jarret Greene
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, I don't think telling people to skip a real tournament for a high school trash tournament is against the rules per se, but I'd be delighted if you stopped anyhow.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Matt Weiner wrote:Hey, I don't think telling people to skip a real tournament for a high school trash tournament is against the rules per se, but I'd be delighted if you stopped anyhow.
It was in jest. But I understand.
Jarret Greene
OFallsJC
Lulu

Post by OFallsJC »

We sort of wanted to but that weekend is filled with conflicts unrelated to quiz bowl. I wish we could have played some more non-Ohioans though...
Jim Coury
Olmsted Falls 2011
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Matt Weiner wrote:Hey, I don't think telling people to skip a real tournament for a high school trash tournament is against the rules per se, but I'd be delighted if you stopped anyhow.
Lulz. Budgets can be tight to pull an overnighter this late in the season.

Also, Jarret, if any American Idol comes up let me know.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Inkana7 wrote:
Ohio is sending 10 teams to the HSNCT. Some will do well, others will have an awful experience.
The good thing about it though, is that a few teams which have never been to the HSNCT have signed up, including Olmsted Falls, Warren G. Harding, and Lexington.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
Solon High School '10
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:
The good thing about it though, is that a few teams which have never been to the HSNCT have signed up, including Olmsted Falls, Warren G. Harding, and Lexington.
And according to the latest update, Bellefontaine.
Jarret Greene
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

Bossick's Basho is definitely using the SCT set so Culver's tournament is even less appealing now
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Or not. We have the ICT D2 set.
Greg Bossick
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Gaterion
Lulu

Post by Gaterion »

Hey, everyone! I scorekept for OAC States today, and just want to inform you of the finals results.

1. Solon
2. Copley
3. Walnut Hills
4. Sycamore

Congratulations to everyone!

edit: If people don't frequent the Ohio fora, here's a more updated thread http://www.createphpbb.com/oac/viewtopi ... mforum=oac
Peter Komarek
Walnut Hills High School, '09
The Ohio State University, '1?
"I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees"