Clarifications in Writing for NAQT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox
Wakka

Clarifications in Writing for NAQT

Post by Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox »

Well, I've decided that, in order to keep up my quizbowl knowledge and to supplement my income, I'd like to write for NAQT. However, the readme file in the new writers' kit isn't clear on some things that I don't really want to mess up, in terms of applying as a new writer.

When submitting the ten sample questions, is there a preferred number that should be tossups and a preferred number that should be bonuses? A half-and-half split? 70/30?

When submitting these questions, should they been in an attached .txt file or part of the text of the email?

I know these questions may be (read: are) pretty basic, but I'm not too keen on seeming like a moron to the fine people at NAQT, LLC.

All other tips/comments that aren't :bees: -related are a plus too!

Thanks!
Rafe Haddox
Ex-James Island '09 (you can email me for details, if you'd like)
Tiocfaidh ár lá!
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Re: Clarifications in Writing for NAQT

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Supposedly it's 5/5 for your submission although I submitted 10/10 in a .txt file. Hope that helps.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

I submitted 7/3 (in a text file), so I suspect you can follow your personal preferences a bit as long as you don't go too far one way or the other. Good luck!
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

You submit your sample questions in a txt file using the coding template that's given to you. I actually got away with submitting 6/2 after misunderstanding the instructions, but 5/5 should work fine, or any other reasonable variant.

Also, the time it takes for them to return your submission can go a bit over the month stated, so if it runs quite a bit over (1 1/2 month, for example), you might want to consider emailing Mr. Hentzel or calling the NAQT number.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Yeah... I submitted a .txt on June 4th, so is this the long enough to send in an e-mail? Or should I assume that the questions I submitted were never received, and so can I withdraw my application so I can modify those questions and use them for ACF submissions? I really wanted to apply mostly for the summer when I had more free time, and would continue through the year if requested.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

dinoian wrote:Yeah... I submitted a .txt on June 4th, so is this the long enough to send in an e-mail? Or should I assume that the questions I submitted were never received, and so can I withdraw my application so I can modify those questions and use them for ACF submissions? I really wanted to apply mostly for the summer when I had more free time, and would continue through the year if requested.
That's more than long enough; I'll drop a note to R. to make sure this is dealt with. (Of course we don't mean to discourage you from writing, either for us or for ACF, and we would be happy to see more question submissions, even if that's next summer.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

More generally, everyone above has it right:

1. If it's been more than a month, please do nag us- this summer has been unusually busy for us, both with a (welcomed) influx of new writers from the community and new demands on R.'s time.

2. Your preference as to tossup/bonus split, although ideally we would like to see at least some of each, and at least as many bonuses as tossups. (We have a relative surplus of bonuses in our archive right now; and it's noticeable in past submissions that the distinctions between mediocre qb writing and good qb writing are most visible in the leadins and middle clues of tossups.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred