Tiger Academic Challenge at Clemson (11/14/09)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Nick
Wakka

Tiger Academic Challenge at Clemson (11/14/09)

Post by Nick »

This is a preliminary announcement for the first annual Tiger Academic Challenge to be hosted by the Clemson University Quizbowl Team on November 14, 2009. The tournament will be open to any and all high school teams that wish to attend.

We plan on looking into using HSAPQ as a question provider, and as of right now all participating teams will be guaranteed five preliminary matches.

Registration will be $70 per team with no limit on the number of teams from any one school. There will also be a $5 discount for each fully functioning buzzer set as well as a $10 discount for each experienced moderator provided by a school which can be available for all prelim rounds.

As we are in the middle of some last-minute administrative processes, we certainly welcome notification/emails from those who wish to express their intent to attend, however, we want to be clear that the details of the tournament are tentative and subject to change and we do not want anyone at this time to be sending payment. We hope to have an official announcement up in the very near future.

If you are interested in attending or have any other questions, you may post them here or direct your email to [email protected].

Also, we'd just like to point out that Clemson University is located conveniently within the one-day trip distance of both Upstate South Carolina as well as metro Atlanta. But of course we welcome quizbowl teams from all over America to visit our beautiful campus.

Save the date!
Nick
Eric Huff
Wakka

Re: Tiger Academic Challenge at Clemson (11/14/09)

Post by Eric Huff »

Count Dorman in for 5-6 teams and 3 buzzers...

We're looking forward to it!
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

The Clemson University Quizbowl Team now gladly and officially invites you to join us on Saturday, November 14, 2009 for the first annual Tiger Academic Challenge.

Time: Registration will take place from 8:15 to 9 followed shortly by a brief meeting and the preliminary rounds. Lunch should take place somewhere within the last few rounds of the prelims, and the playoffs should be completed by 5:30PM.

Location: Registration and the opening meeting will take place in Daniel Auditorium (in Daniel). All preliminary and playoff games will be located in the Martin and Kinard buildings which are right next door. Parking information will be outlined closer to the date of the tournament.

The Tiger Academic Challenge is affiliated with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence and will serve as a qualifier for the NSC.

Questions will be provided by HSAPQ and we will be using their second fall 4-quarter format set.

In order to officially register or if you have any questions, please email [email protected] or [email protected] with your name, school, number of teams, and any buzzers/moderators you intend to bring.

We look forward to a great day of competition.
Nick
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Field Update:

Chattahoochee
Walhalla
Blue Ridge
Crescent (2)
Chapman
Ninety Six
Greer
Aiken
Dorman (7)
Southside Christian (2)

Total: 18 teams

We've had about a dozen other teams express interest but have yet to submit a registration form. Be sure to get those in!

Its still not too late to register. Just fill out a copy of the attached registration form and email it to [email protected] or [email protected].
Attachments
Final Registration Form.doc
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by Nick on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Dorman is bringing 7 teams! They must like you, John C. Calhoun, or both. That is awesome! Kinda surprised Southside, Spartanburg, and Irmo haven't registered yet.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Oh how you should hear Mr. Huff ramble on about nullification....

Spartanburg and Southside have both told me they should be coming, I'm just waiting on their form. I'm actually more surprised that I haven't heard from more of the regulars from your neck of the wooods--Alpharetta, Brookwood, Walton, Central Gwinnett, Norcross--all only 2 hours away and all so fond of quizbowl-- what is the deal? We don't hear from them and Dorman is gonna be a third of the field, haha.
Nick
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

I would actually like to hear his thoughts on nullification. Perhaps he could also speak upon the Essex Junto or Hartford Convention at the tournament.

Yeah, I am a bit surprised too, particularly with Brookwood, Central, and Walton. However, that is the weekend before the BISB, so the Brookwood kids may be using that weekend to get ready for their own tournament. I am not sure about Central or Walton as they usually travel quite well. Alpharetta, Centennial, and Norcross rarely (if ever) travel outside the state, so I am not that surprised about them not registering (yet). However, I have heard from William over at Alpharetta that they are trying to do more things outside of GA this year, so hopefully they show up. All of those teams would certainly make the field stronger, and thin those Dorman teams out a bit :smile:. 7 teams! Wow, I am still trying to wrap my brain about that. I am impressed.
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Nick:

Can we come? E-dawg told me we were not invited since I had made so many Clemson jokes in the past! :-)

I think I can only bring one team and we may have to play as "Big Possum."

email me sir.

JRB
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Nick,

Why does everything in GA lean to the east? Because South Carolina sucks. A Tennessee grad told me that one. Don't let Mr. Barry disparage your great university any more. At least y'all don't have to wear the color purple (a lot). :grin:

Anyway, we should be there with 1 team, but may have to play as Mudkip.
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

We might be going to this tournament with some sort of team, but a problem is that three out of our four varsity players will probably be going to the Language declamation the same day at Clemson, which takes place in Daniel Hall (this might be the same place you're having your tournament).

A lot of teams in SC and GA may be impacted by that, but the best quiz bowl teams will probably bring their A-teams, since they may not conflict.
Joe
James Island '10
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

scquizbowl wrote:We might be going to this tournament with some sort of team, but a problem is that three out of our four varsity players will probably be going to the Language declamation the same day at Clemson, which takes place in Daniel Hall (this might be the same place you're having your tournament).
We're just having the opening meeting in Daniel's auditorium. Games will take place in adjacent Kinard and Martin.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Field update:

Aiken
Blue Ridge
Brookwood
Chapman
Chattahoochee
Christ Church Episcopal
Crescent (2)
Dorman (7)
Greenville Tech Charter (2)
Greer
James Island
Ninety Six
Norcross (2)
REACH
Seneca
Southside
Southside Christian (2)
Spartan High (2)
Walhalla

Total: 30 teams
Nick
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Any results from this tournament? I couldn't make it because I had to do stats at a playoff football game and go to another one, and we didn't get back till 3am.
Joe
James Island '10
KoH
Lulu

Post by KoH »

Southside (Carrie, Lizzie, Ming, and Neil) beat Dorman A (Mariya, Masuma, and Sydney) 540-320 in the finals.
Ming Lin
Southside High School 2010
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Nice job, guys. You have a really strong team this year.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

The final results of the First Tiger Academic Challenge:

1. Southside
2. Dorman A

semifinalists: Dorman B, Dorman C

I believe both teams in the finals were playing without their usual line-up but it was nonetheless a good game.

We appreciate all the teams coming out to participate and we look forward to doing it again in the spring!
Nick