Triton Fall - 11/21

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Auroni
Auron

Triton Fall - 11/21

Post by Auroni »

UCSD will be hosting a mirror of Harvard's Fall Tournament on November 21. These questions will probably be a touch harder than standard high school tournaments, but would make excellent practice for teams looking to attend either of the quizbowl nationals in the spring. Like the Triton Bowl tournament that UCSD hosted earlier in February, these questions will be longer than NAQT ones and significantly longer than Academic League questions, but with more academic content and more similar to quizbowl tournaments elsewhere in the country.

To register for this tournament, email me at [email protected] with the subject line "triton fall registration" and give me a definite number of teams that you wish to bring.

Tournament Format
Format will depend on the number of teams in the field, but we'll probably do a bracketed round robin of some sort followed by crossover, and all teams should be guaranteed at least ten games.

Fees
Base Fee: $70
Secondary and additional teams from same school: $60
-$10 for bringing a buzzer
If you are willing to travel a considerable distance to play this tournament (more than 150 miles), then we can negotiate further discounts. NorCal teams, this is your chance to get exposed to a new circuit and mACF questions!

Field
Expressed Interest:

Attending:
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
LucasBrown
Lulu

Re: Triton Fall - 11/21

Post by LucasBrown »

Rancho Bernardo's in. We will probably be sending one team.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

What's the field so far?
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Field:

Torrey Pines (x2)
RB (x3)
Rancho Alamitos (x1)
Carlsbad and La Jolla (expressed interest)
Arcadia?

I'll update this with buzzers, too. But we're looking for a field similar to our previous tournament, which had 15-16 enrolled teams. Sign up, people!
Last edited by Auroni on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

i want to see arcadia and santa monica there
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Hey RB, sent more teams to this.
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

RB now has about 3 teams' worth of interest.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

gyre and gimble wrote:i want to see arcadia and santa monica there
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if Arcadia sends a team, it won't be the real team A, due to band and college apps.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

RB will bring 2 buzzers.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Praneet
Kimahri

Post by Praneet »

What is the field so far?
Praneet Mylavarapu
Torrey Pines '11
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Hey everyone:

This is the long-awaited field update with all the present information. We have hit our target field and have 3 or so slots remaining. What we will need more of, however, is buzzer systems. We need at least 3-4 more so that no rooms have to play slapbowl, so bring your buzzers if you have them (and for discounts!) Also, please notify me if any of this information is incorrect.

La Jolla – 2 teams + 1 buzzer system

Torrey Pines (x2) + 1 buzzer

RB (x3) + 2 buzzers

Rancho Alamitos (x1) + 1 buzzer

Bishop's (x2)

Carlsbad (x2)

Coronado (x3)

- Auroni Gupta, Tournament Director, Triton Fall
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Hey, Edison just signed up for 2 more teams and 2 buzzers. Here is the current field:

La Jolla – 2 teams + 1 buzzer system

Torrey Pines (x2) + 1 buzzer

RB (x3) + 2 buzzers

Rancho Alamitos (x1) + 1 buzzer

Bishop's (x2)

Carlsbad (x2)

Coronado (x3) + 1 buzzer

Edison (x2) + 2 buzzers

At 17 teams, we have slots only for 2 more teams. Please sign up quickly, since the field will close soon.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

RB has three teams' worth of definite interest and three of probable interest. We will be bringing two buzzer sets.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Auroni wrote:Field is now closed for Triton Fall at 19 teams; any additional teams will be on the waitlist. We would like to accomodate some teams from newer schools to play this tournament, so higher priority will be given to those rather than to the 3rd and fourth teams of schools attending with multiple teams.
Who else signed up?

And I just wanted to express the concern that newer schools, or straight up new schools (I haven't seen Coronado go to a tournament before), might possibly be turned off quizbowl by the HFT set. I hear it's been made easier since the VCU mirror but I imagine it's still gonna be significantly harder than an IS. I guess in southern California and especially San Diego we can't be picky about tournaments because we have so few, which is why I'd rather see new schools at Triton Fall than not. But I just wanted to suggest that the difficulty of this set is made clear to everyone who shows up on the 21st. And maybe somebody could point out Baby Anteater to them (since that seems to be the only IS-A tournament "planned" this season).

Of course, I could just be wholly underestimating those potent, lurking teams out there who could tear up the HFT set at their first tournament ever.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

First off, Arcadia apologizes for not being able to make this tournament.
gyre and gimble wrote:
Auroni wrote:but I imagine it's still gonna be significantly harder than an IS. I guess in southern California and especially San Diego we can't be picky about tournaments because we have so few, which is why I'd rather see new schools at Triton Fall than not. But I just wanted to suggest that the difficulty of this set is made clear to everyone who shows up on the 21st.
I don't think "significantly harder" is a completely accurate judgement of the set, unless they changed it a lot from the 2008 incarnation. The questions are certainly longer, which means there are more "hard" clues, but the answer selection for the first 10 or so rounds are about the same as an IS packet. Also, theres almost definitely going to be less trash in this set.

gyre and gimble wrote:And maybe somebody could point out Baby Anteater to them (since that seems to be the only IS-A tournament "planned" this season).
Ah, but you seem to have forgotten one other novice level tournament being hosted this year.
http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 6&p=159807
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
gyre and gimble
Yuna

al3xWal3x wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:And maybe somebody could point out Baby Anteater to them (since that seems to be the only IS-A tournament "planned" this season).
Ah, but you seem to have forgotten one other novice level tournament being hosted this year.
http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 6&p=159807
Aha, my bad. Yeah Fall Novice would be even better.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

What's the timetable, location on campus, etc?
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

Dwight mentioned at practice today that you need some readers, I am able to come down if you need/want.

Matthew (UCI)
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
- Dan Quayle
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

I have just sent an email with the meeting and parking information attached to all the coaches. The gist of it is that we will have check-in and players meeting from 8:30-9:00 AM with play beginning at 9:00 AM sharp. We will be meeting in the Humanities and Social Sciences Building Room 1330. A map and parking details are attached below.
Attachments
Triton Fall Info.doc
(75 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Super-brief results:

Torrey Pines A def. La Jolla A 455-60 in the first game of an advantaged final (on the Finals 1 packet) to win Triton Fall.

Stephen of Torrey Pines was the lead scorer of the tournament by a wide margin and had a near-grail game in the playoffs of 18-0.

More stats, etc. to come soon. Thanks to all the teams who showed up and stayed!
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
cbadpreacher
Kimahri

Post by cbadpreacher »

Where can we get the packet set from the tournament.
Jerry Luo~
Carlsbad Class of 2010
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

cbadpreacher wrote:Where can we get the packet set from the tournament.
As soon as the final mirror of this tournament is done, this tournament will be available for download at quizbowlpackets.com
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
gyre and gimble
Yuna

uga_chris wrote:Thanks to all the teams who showed up and stayed!
LOL.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

As stated before, Torrey Pines A won an advantaged final against La Jolla A to win this tournament. Combined stats can be found here: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

The stats are very much incomplete, but this should give people an idea of how people did.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

Hey, Auroni, you forgot to include a game for RB B because it says we've only played 9 games
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Here's the real combined stats page, after I fixed some stuff with SQBS. I do have one game missing, between Rancho Bernardo B and La Jolla A; once that's entered the stats are truly complete.

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Auroni, I think a couple of games have really off tossup numbers, but whatever. Would it be possible for you to use the "Divisions" feature so that 7th-place University isn't showing up tied for second right now?
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry