Affording Long-Distance Travel Tournaments

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Affording Long-Distance Travel Tournaments

Post by Unicolored Jay » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:10 pm

Since our school district won't pay for more than one national championship nor more than one overnight trip, I was wondering how my team can raise enough funds to go anywhere we can't reach by driving in the morning. Some of the tournaments in nearby states look quite appealing, but I highly doubt that we can pay for them all. Does anyone have any ideas on how to raise funds/convinvce the school board? Thanks!
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Re: Affording Long-Distance Travel Tournaments

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:27 pm

South Range has the same problem, Jasper. So far, we've thought of a few fund raising ideas.

1) Host tournaments. I know Solon hosts their annual two-day tournament, but I think it might be worth it to host another one. Maybe on HSAPQ questions? :grin:

2) Candy Sales. I actually got this idea from Bob Kilner who said that when Garfield was at their height, Dan would buy about $50 worth of candy and sell it for a profit. Rinse, repeat. Bob said they paid for most of their PACE NSC trip with this money. Also, last year to raise money for the HSNCT trip, we sold flowers.

3) Pool your money together and pay as a team. It's easier to pay for things when it's split 4, 5, 6 ways.

Another nice thing about my school, is that, at least last year, 2 out of the 5 members of the school board were parents of players. Get someone on your side and for money. We also went to the local Ruritan clubs and asked for money and then played an exhibition game to show our..stuff? I guess.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Also, you might want to consider seeing if your principal has any discretionary funding for tournaments--make the point that if you go out and win stuff, it makes the school (him/her) look good. (Obviously, don't make it too blatant that you're bribing him with the possibility of prestige)

Also, while there might be a School District rule in place, have you tried appealing to the superintendent, etc. personally? You could make the point that the best competition is out of state and playing the best will help you do well at Nationals.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19 (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:37 pm

There may also be some way for you to make an appeal to the reputation of some hosting school - Harvard, Penn, Vanderbilt, and to a slightly lesser extent UMD and UVA are schools with extremely prestigious reputations that also happen to run very competitive tournaments. It might be easier to convince a principal that traveling to those particular tournaments will inherently be prestigious enough to warrant spending money than driving out to something run at a high school in that area.
Anyway, Solon traditionally runs 2 large tournaments, right? Unless the entry is cheap, I would be shocked if your school didn't have a lot of money from that, not to mention that it is a very large undertaking to have a school do that, so I wouldn't be shocked if your coach has trouble finding the motivation to run yet another tournament. If you can, though, I would recommend maybe running a fall tournament to get some more money in the first half of the year.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

kayli
Auron

Post by kayli » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Candy sales are an effective way of getting money. They're usually done by other clubs though so the effectiveness may not be as good as you want. However, if you have a lot of friends who are willing, you could always pawn off selling candy to them (some of them actually like doing it but never have a reason to). At my school, we have a homecoming carnival; and we usually have a booth doing something (this year we're having a divorce booth to complement the marriage booth that some club always does). Selling beverages from your teachers room is usually a good option too considering that schools are moving to more health-oriented menus so sugary beverages may become in high demand. Other than that, ask what people would like to buy in exchange for money. If for some reason Big Texas cinnamon rolls are really popular in your school, sell those. There's also the option of doing the cliche car wash or the cliche beg-local-businesses-for-money. Whatever works for you guys.
Kay, Chicago.

Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:23 pm

We're having a difficult time deciding on if we can even hold a fall tournament; the problem is that almost all of the weekends are taken by nearby schools (my coach doesn't have a problem hosting another one). Our best bet of holding another tournament at this moment is in the spring.
I'll talk to my coach about all of the fundraising options, but as for the candy idea, the more-prestitious Science Olympiad club at my school (which I am a part of) does a candy sale every fall, so it may be the most difficult to do.

Thank you for all of the ideas.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

Susan

Post by Susan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:11 pm

Bird Sonata wrote:We're having a difficult time deciding on if we can even hold a fall tournament; the problem is that almost all of the weekends are taken by nearby schools (my coach doesn't have a problem hosting another one). Our best bet of holding another tournament at this moment is in the spring.
I'll talk to my coach about all of the fundraising options, but as for the candy idea, the more-prestitious Science Olympiad club at my school (which I am a part of) does a candy sale every fall, so it may be the most difficult to do.

What about doughnut selling? Krispy Kreme sells (or maybe used to sell) fundraising packets of doughnuts.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:13 pm

myamphigory wrote:
Bird Sonata wrote:We're having a difficult time deciding on if we can even hold a fall tournament; the problem is that almost all of the weekends are taken by nearby schools (my coach doesn't have a problem hosting another one). Our best bet of holding another tournament at this moment is in the spring.

What about doughnut selling? Krispy Kreme sells (or maybe used to sell) fundraising packets of doughnuts.
We tried this one year and got told that we weren't allowed to sell food at school as we were competing with the cafeteria

EDIT: I was there yesterday and totally saw ads for their FUNdraising
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Berry
georgeberry.vcu@gmail.com
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:18 pm

myamphigory wrote:What about doughnut selling? Krispy Kreme sells (or maybe used to sell) fundraising packets of doughnuts.
I'm pretty sure I saw this happening as recently as this July, so this might well be something to look up.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13

kayli
Auron

Post by kayli » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:19 pm

PN News wrote:
myamphigory wrote:

We tried this one year and got told that we weren't allowed to sell food at school as we were competing with the cafeteria
I think you have to sell after or before school then. At least, that's how it is in my school.

Anyways, Sam's Club sells a lot of stuff in bulk for really cheap. You might want to look there. Also, Hungry Howie's has $5 large pizza pizzas. You could probably sell it for $1.50 a slice which gives a $7 profit. If you run low on demand, a $1 slice still yields a $3 profit.
Kay, Chicago.

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:27 am

It's a little outside the box, but one thing that you can do is get your team to work as Election Judges. I do not know the rules in Ohio, but in Illinois you can work as an Election Judge at age 16 as long as you have a decent GPA. I know when I did it, all that it consisted of was a boring 3 hour training session and of course working the actual election. I don't recall the standard pay for a judge, but I remember that I got $175 (I got a bonus due to some rather weird circumstances). I think that the standard pay is probably around $100.

Aside from the money aspect, this is also an experience that looks good on a resume or college application. It also can be interesting, from seeing the elderly freak out over new machines, or watching a nutjob get arrested for standing too close to the precinct. Also, you get to miss a day of school.

The primaries are coming up later this year, and if you can get five teammates to participate, it will go a long way towards paying for nationals travel. If you do this, make sure you know the rules of your state/county, and also make sure you will get your payday on time. Good luck no matter which route you go.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15