Princeton High School Academic Tournament 10/03/09- Results

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Princeton High School Academic Tournament 10/03/09- Results

Post by Important Bird Area »

Edward Powers wrote:NAQT still has your playoff results listed as "Pending", so if it were to use these playoff standings as a guide, it would make some serious errors.
We're reading this thread, for one thing, so rest assured that we are aware of the actual standings and will qualify the proper 9 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thank you, Jeff.

As an aside, I wonder if you've noticed that for the 2nd year in a row, the NAQT official overall standings for the Princeton Tournament confuses the Thomas Jefferson A team from Virginia with the High Tech A team from New Jersey? My B team is reported as having played TJ A in the Prelims---but TJ was not in attendance, and checking our own records reveals that it was in fact High Tech A that we played. This triggered my memory of last year at Princeton, where TJ was listed as being in attendance as one of my A team's opponents, and again, the actual opponent was High Tech A from NJ. So perhaps some reporting code you use confuses these two schools?

And checking TJ's records on your site for this year, you have them listed as playing the IS-86 Set twice---once at Richard Montgomery's Rumble on the Pike in September, 2009, and then at Princeton on October 3 of this year. TJ would never violate the honor code of quizbowl in this way, playing the same set twice. So, I think the error is the one I've suggested---TJ is somehow confused with High Tech A from NJ.

I thought you might want to check this to keep your records more accurate.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Edward Powers wrote:Thanks for posting the final stats, but there seems to be a NEW problem.

The final standings mix 3 separate brackets---the 16 team Championship bracket, the 8 team playoff bracket for 9th place among the 8 teams eliminated in the Championship Octofinals, and the bottom 16 Consolation bracket--- into one final result, with the effect that teams that won in the first round of the Championship Playoffs end up finishing BEHIND teams they eliminated. For example, Dorman B defeated East Brunswick in the Octofinals and then defeated Dorman A in the Quarterfinals, before losing to Bergen A in the Semifinals and then losing to Kellenberg in the 3rd/4th place match. So, Dorman B finished 4th in the Championship bracket, but in the rankings just posted, it finishes 10th, behind East Brunswick & Dorman A, two teams it defeated. There are other examples, but this should suffice.

Further, the records of the bottom Consolation bracket are also intermixed with the brackets that decided national qualifiers, with the result that it seems that Livingston B, which went 4-0 in the non-playoff single elimination bracket, finishes 3rd overall in the field, which I am sure is as surprising to Livingston B as it is the actual 3rd place finisher, Kellenberg A. And there are other examples of these misleading results as well----to cite only one more among several, a 1-0 Chatham displaces the actual second place finisher, the 3-1 squad from Bergen Academies.

So---it is important that the proper Championship results be reported to NAQT & PACE, otherwise the teams that actually qualified for Nationals---like Dorman B among others, might be left off the list while others might be inaccurately placed on it.

And, as of this moment, NAQT still has your playoff results listed as "Pending", so if it were to use these playoff standing as a guide, it would make some serious errors. So I trust that precautions will be taken to make sure that this depiction of the final results is not the one used by NAQT & PACE and that the actual 9 qualifiers are accurately reported.

Of course, if these concerns have already been taken care of, then this part of my concern about the results is now moot. But is there anyway to separate reporting of brackets so that brackets are not intermixed in this confusing way?
Yeah, sorry, I noticed it was like that, but I can't change it myself, since it's Greg Bossick's website hosting the stats. I've emailed Greg to ask him about making it more ordered.

And, yes, I have already sent NAQT an email about final standings, and they're reading the thread.
Dan Humphrey
Princeton University (2008- ) Tournament Director, President Emeritus
Garfield Heights High School (2004-2008)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks, Dan.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Edward Powers wrote:I wonder if you've noticed that for the 2nd year in a row, the NAQT official overall standings for the Princeton Tournament confuses the Thomas Jefferson A team from Virginia with the High Tech A team from New Jersey?
Fixed. Thanks for letting us know.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred