2010 NAQT HSNCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
User avatar
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Unicolored Jay » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:02 pm

There are several states/areas where the only NAQT set used was an A-set, so that problem shouldn't apply in every case. Those tournaments (like one in South Dakota or something) don't have very many teams in attendance to begin with either, so lowering the qualification percentage won't do much there. I guess this would go either way.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:58 am
Location: Youngstown, Ohio

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by MahoningQuizBowler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Should we anticipate another field update tomorrow, after the deadline to cancel without penalty has passed?
Greg Bossick
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5536
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:37 pm

There will be an update soon, although I can't promise tomorrow.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5536
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 pm

The field has been updated.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

Flash Bomba
Lulu
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:42 am

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Flash Bomba » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:47 pm

How many spots are still reserved in the field for state champions?
Thomas Hsu
University High School '11
Brown '15

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:58 am
Location: Youngstown, Ohio

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by MahoningQuizBowler » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:28 am

http://naqt.com/hsnct/reserved-berths.html says championships have to be held on or before 24 April to have a reserved berth, but (if I counted right) there were only 187 teams in the field as of the last update.
Greg Bossick
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5536
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area » Mon May 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Current status:

187 teams listed in the last field update.

State championships:

Treasure Valley Math and Science (ID) (results) (registered)

Bettendorf (IA) (results) (pending)

La Cueva (NM) (results not on naqt.com yet) (pending)

The northern California state championship was won by Mission San Jose A (results), so that reserved berth is dissolved and we will invite the first team on the waitlist.

The last spot is reserved for the champion of the Oregon Brain Bowl. If we can't get in contact with the winner of that event in the very near future, we will dissolve that reserved berth and invite a team from the waitlist.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

Flash Bomba
Lulu
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:42 am

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Flash Bomba » Mon May 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Would you happen to know when the "very near future" is exactly?

Edit: Apparently, it was pretty soon in the future. Thanks.
Thomas Hsu
University High School '11
Brown '15

User avatar
quizbowllee
Auron
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:12 am
Location: Alabama

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by quizbowllee » Thu May 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Field expanded to 200 teams. Hopefully this won't affect the number of rounds we get to play.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by kayli » Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Time to find money.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5536
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area » Thu May 06, 2010 5:03 pm

quizbowllee wrote:Field expanded to 200 teams. Hopefully this won't affect the number of rounds we get to play.
The number of rounds remains the same; we added more rooms to meet the extra demand.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5536
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area » Fri May 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Field update with the expansion to 200 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

User avatar
etchdulac
Rikku
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 6:02 am
Location: Texas, for better or worse

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by etchdulac » Fri May 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Maybe I'm being arithmetic-deficient, but I'm coming out with 198 on this list... was Fort Mill intentionally removed?
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5536
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area » Fri May 07, 2010 2:24 pm

etchdulac wrote:was Fort Mill intentionally removed?
Yes, they cancelled their registration earlier this week.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

User avatar
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Let's not rehash the same arguments about how it's impossible to qualify for HSNCT when it's indisputable that wildcard bids do, in fact, exist. I would be shocked if a team that put up 20+ ppb on any regular-difficulty high school set in the fall couldn't send in a bid and make it into the field based solely on that stat (particularly considering the large part of the HSNCT field that does not get 20+ ppb on regular-difficulty high school sets.
Andrew Watkins

User avatar
cchiego
Yuna
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by cchiego » Mon May 10, 2010 3:10 am

Just so everyone knows, it looks like I'm going to be liveblogging the HSNCT again this year. Check out the intro post. Feel free to spread the word to anyone (parents, administration, influential bloggers, etc.) who might be interested in following it.

I'd definitely appreciate any feedback or ideas on what people want to see out of the blog this year. I won't have too much time before the tournament, but I do hope to have a few posts introducing some of the contending teams and giving lay people some idea of what the tournament's like.

Last year I followed this basic strategy when covering the tournament:
Friday Night- talked to various people about quizbowl and did some brief interviews (which I hope to post in the lead up to this year's tournament if I can find them on my old computer)
Saturday- camped out in the stats room, reported on results as soon as they arrived (would people prefer I wander between game rooms?)
Sunday- camped out in one playoff room, liveblogged those games, went to the stats room between rounds and talked via Gchat to get the latest info.

Any changes/additions that you might want to suggest, feel free to let me know either via comments or email. Technical comments on the layout of the site would also be appreciated.'

[Edit: Just so nobody needlessly duplicates this effort this year, I've posted a google map showing the location of all the teams at this year's HSNCT]
Chris C.
UGA '09, UCSD '12, UPenn '19
Greater Pennsylvania QuizBowl
http://gpqb.wordpress.com

User avatar
etchdulac
Rikku
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 6:02 am
Location: Texas, for better or worse

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by etchdulac » Sat May 22, 2010 7:50 pm

With the recent drops of registered teams (including both Brindlee Mountain teams, Brookville, Juan Diego and Assumption Catholic), it looks like the field sits at 196. If it stays this way, would NAQT re-inflate the field to 200 with standby teams? Or would NAQT run with 196, which I guess isn't hugely inconvenient compared to 200?
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00

User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6636
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Cheynem » Sat May 22, 2010 8:22 pm

If it isn't too much work for you, Chris, it might be cool to report on what seem to be particularly interesting games, although the "matching" system of scheduling makes it difficult to know who's playing whom.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

User avatar
etchdulac
Rikku
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 6:02 am
Location: Texas, for better or worse

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by etchdulac » Sat May 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Theoretically, if you could find a master schedule, you'd at least be able to see in what rooms the top cards would meet as the afternoon went on (still not knowing what teams would have those cards by then). Don't know how hard it would be to run around room to room every round, especially when some rooms may be a bit ahead of others.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5536
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area » Sat May 22, 2010 10:06 pm

etchdulac wrote:With the recent drops of registered teams (including both Brindlee Mountain teams, Brookville, Juan Diego and Assumption Catholic), it looks like the field sits at 196. If it stays this way, would NAQT re-inflate the field to 200 with standby teams? Or would NAQT run with 196, which I guess isn't hugely inconvenient compared to 200?
We'll add standby teams as needed to make 200; anything other than multiples of eight breaks the card system.
etchdulac wrote:Theoretically, if you could find a master schedule, you'd at least be able to see in what rooms the top cards would meet as the afternoon went on (still not knowing what teams would have those cards by then). Don't know how hard it would be to run around room to room every round, especially when some rooms may be a bit ahead of others.
Chris, let me know what (if any) components of the scheduling machine you'd like to look at.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

User avatar
cchiego
Yuna
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by cchiego » Sun May 23, 2010 3:38 pm

It looks like I'm gong to stay in the stat room for the most part but may move out around lunchtime (rounds 6 and 7) to see a few matches if I can figure out the card system and the room locations (yeah Jeff, please send me whatever info you have so I can figure out where some of the best cards might be playing those rounds). If anyone who isn't busy staffing wants to be a volunteer "roving reporter" a la Chris Carter last year, let me know and we can plan out having you liveblog/report on some matches.

Also, thanks to everyone who's visited the blog so far; we're up to 1,400+ hits since I started it again this year, which is waaay more than we had at this time last year. Please feel free to send out the link to other websites who might be interested in the competition. [By the way, something like 1/3 of all the hits are coming via facebook; are people really posting links to this on their FB profiles?]

I am finding out, of course, that the more schools you mention the more controversial you get. Perhaps next year I'll sacrifice quantity for more in-depth profiles of the consensus top teams (or at least wait until after the "official" pre-Nationals poll comes out so I have some "objective" measure to work with).
Chris C.
UGA '09, UCSD '12, UPenn '19
Greater Pennsylvania QuizBowl
http://gpqb.wordpress.com

User avatar
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill » Sun May 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Swank diet wrote:It looks like I'm gong to stay in the stat room for the most part but may move out around lunchtime (rounds 6 and 7) to see a few matches if I can figure out the card system and the room locations (yeah Jeff, please send me whatever info you have so I can figure out where some of the best cards might be playing those rounds). If anyone who isn't busy staffing wants to be a volunteer "roving reporter" a la Chris Carter last year, let me know and we can plan out having you liveblog/report on some matches.

Also, thanks to everyone who's visited the blog so far; we're up to 1,400+ hits since I started it again this year, which is waaay more than we had at this time last year. Please feel free to send out the link to other websites who might be interested in the competition. [By the way, something like 1/3 of all the hits are coming via facebook; are people really posting links to this on their FB profiles?]

I am finding out, of course, that the more schools you mention the more controversial you get. Perhaps next year I'll sacrifice quantity for more in-depth profiles of the consensus top teams (or at least wait until after the "official" pre-Nationals poll comes out so I have some "objective" measure to work with).
I like how you're mentioning a lot of teams. The top teams are discussed enough already, it's nice to see the "other guys" get some press.

Keep up the good work.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17

Tanay
Rikku
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Tanay » Sun May 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Inkana7 wrote: I like how you're mentioning a lot of teams. The top teams are discussed enough already, it's nice to see the "other guys" get some press.

Keep up the good work.
Agreed. Perhaps it might be a good idea, though, to wait until after the HSQB "pre-nationals" poll, although this year, it's not coming out in time for this to be feasible.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine

User avatar
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:40 pm
Location: Evanston, IL

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! » Sun May 23, 2010 4:44 pm

NoWayItsTanay wrote:
Inkana7 wrote: I like how you're mentioning a lot of teams. The top teams are discussed enough already, it's nice to see the "other guys" get some press.

Keep up the good work.
Agreed. Perhaps it might be a good idea, though, to wait until after the HSQB "pre-nationals" poll, although this year, it's not coming out in time for this to be feasible.
Plus I think it might be good to look at non-NAQT results as well, since doing good at good quizbowl does in fact help you at NAQT, and like Andy said in the Studying for Trash thread if you beat teams to most of the academic stuff in a packet, you will win most of the time even with the 5/5 or whatever CE/Geo/Trash.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16

User avatar
cchiego
Yuna
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by cchiego » Sun May 23, 2010 5:16 pm

Secretary of Bobcats wrote:
NoWayItsTanay wrote:
Inkana7 wrote: I like how you're mentioning a lot of teams. The top teams are discussed enough already, it's nice to see the "other guys" get some press.

Keep up the good work.
Agreed. Perhaps it might be a good idea, though, to wait until after the HSQB "pre-nationals" poll, although this year, it's not coming out in time for this to be feasible.
Plus I think it might be good to look at non-NAQT results as well, since doing good at good quizbowl does in fact help you at NAQT, and like Andy said in the Studying for Trash thread if you beat teams to most of the academic stuff in a packet, you will win most of the time even with the 5/5 or whatever CE/Geo/Trash.
Yeah I've tried to bring in other tournament results (Harvard Fall Tournament, Prison Bowl, I think I have a GSAC link too), but the NAQT results dataset is much easier to navigate than a bunch of separate files (even on Scobowl you can't see all of a team's results at once I don't think). Also, Tanay might be right about waiting for the poll to come out so I don't unduly bias any voting with my prognostication, unless of course I have a hidden agenda and hope to achieve something in life by biasing high school quizbowl polls.
Chris C.
UGA '09, UCSD '12, UPenn '19
Greater Pennsylvania QuizBowl
http://gpqb.wordpress.com

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by kayli » Sun May 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Swank diet wrote:
Secretary of Bobcats wrote:
NoWayItsTanay wrote:
Inkana7 wrote: I like how you're mentioning a lot of teams. The top teams are discussed enough already, it's nice to see the "other guys" get some press.

Keep up the good work.
Agreed. Perhaps it might be a good idea, though, to wait until after the HSQB "pre-nationals" poll, although this year, it's not coming out in time for this to be feasible.
Plus I think it might be good to look at non-NAQT results as well, since doing good at good quizbowl does in fact help you at NAQT, and like Andy said in the Studying for Trash thread if you beat teams to most of the academic stuff in a packet, you will win most of the time even with the 5/5 or whatever CE/Geo/Trash.
Yeah I've tried to bring in other tournament results (Harvard Fall Tournament, Prison Bowl, I think I have a GSAC link too), but the NAQT results dataset is much easier to navigate than a bunch of separate files (even on Scobowl you can't see all of a team's results at once I don't think). Also, Tanay might be right about waiting for the poll to come out so I don't unduly bias any voting with my prognostication, unless of course I have a hidden agenda and hope to achieve something in life by biasing high school quizbowl polls.
Next issue of the Quizbowl Tribune: BETTING SCANDAL AT HSNCT!
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill » Sun May 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Chris, are you still planning to do a Small School preview?
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17

User avatar
cchiego
Yuna
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by cchiego » Sun May 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Inkana7 wrote:Chris, are you still planning to do a Small School preview?
Yes, but I'm going to wait until Wed and post it with the poll results. I'm a bit behind on real-life stuff.
Chris C.
UGA '09, UCSD '12, UPenn '19
Greater Pennsylvania QuizBowl
http://gpqb.wordpress.com

User avatar
jdeliverer
Rikku
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Providence

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by jdeliverer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:13 pm

What are the practice rounds on Friday usually like? Is it organized, or do people just play with whomever? How many schools usually participate? I guess the same questions about consolation matches on Sunday.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10

User avatar
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Unicolored Jay » Sun May 23, 2010 8:12 pm

jdeliverer wrote:What are the practice rounds on Friday usually like? Is it organized, or do people just play with whomever? How many schools usually participate? I guess the same questions about consolation matches on Sunday.
They try to keep it organized so that they know how many rooms are available and how many teams are around. Last year, I think they assigned teams randomly. We had to keep going back to the basement to get our next room assignment. And usually people play with their team. I don't know how many teams participate though. As for consolation matches, they sort-of do the same thing (although I didn't do hat last year, so I don't know much about it).
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

User avatar
etchdulac
Rikku
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 6:02 am
Location: Texas, for better or worse

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by etchdulac » Sun May 23, 2010 8:20 pm

Another tournament format question: Are the 6-4 teams getting one loss or two on Sunday this year?
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00

User avatar
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill » Sun May 23, 2010 9:40 pm

etchdulac wrote:Another tournament format question: Are the 6-4 teams getting one loss or two on Sunday this year?
The entire tournament is double elimination, but 6-4 teams start with one loss going into the playoffs. Same with 4-6 Small schools.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Thu May 27, 2010 5:31 pm

from Chris Cheigo's HSNCT blog wrote:Hey,
So, duPont Manual B will NOT be at HSNCT due to the Shabaricon mishap. I’d make a joke here [like: They're all tied up] but I’m sure we’ll get enough of that this weekend

-Meghamsh
duPont Manual A

Comment by Meghamsh — May 27, 2010 @ 4:38 pm | Reply
I had a feeling some schools would drop out. Why, exactly, is their administration okay with letting some people go and not others?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
dtaylor4
Auron
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by dtaylor4 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
from Chris Cheigo's HSNCT blog wrote:Hey,
So, duPont Manual B will NOT be at HSNCT due to the Shabaricon mishap. I’d make a joke here [like: They're all tied up] but I’m sure we’ll get enough of that this weekend

-Meghamsh
duPont Manual A

Comment by Meghamsh — May 27, 2010 @ 4:38 pm | Reply
I had a feeling some schools would drop out. Why, exactly, is their administration okay with letting some people go and not others?
It's probably a parental consent issue.

User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6636
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Cheynem » Thu May 27, 2010 6:53 pm

I will vouch for Chris as a delightful young man who will probably not harm your kids.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

User avatar
Auroni
Auron
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Urbana

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Auroni » Thu May 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Cheynem wrote:I will vouch for Chris as a delightful young man who will probably not harm your kids.
Chris is pretty cool. You want him to liveblog your games.
Auroni Gupta
UIUC
ACF

User avatar
Sir Thopas
Auron
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Hunter, NYC
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Sir Thopas » Thu May 27, 2010 6:57 pm

cdcarter wrote:Hey kids. Once again I have made the last minute decision to attend HSNCT and be the roving reporter of your dreams. I will have Chiego feeding me where the best games should be, but if you are a top team and you know me personally, feel free to shoot me an email with a contact phone number that I can text to see where your team is/will be going. This doesn't guarantee I will see any match of yours, but it's good to have people in the field letting us know where they are.

Of course, stranger danger and all that, if you don't know me, don't send me your number. If you are terrified of me, don't send me your number.

Christian Carter
Emerson College
Boom boom boom boom, I want you in my room.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by at your pleasure » Thu May 27, 2010 7:04 pm

Ice Warrior wrote:
Cheynem wrote:I will vouch for Chris as a delightful young man who will probably not harm your kids.
Chris is pretty cool. You want him to liveblog your games.
Thirded. Chris is a fine gentleman and a pleasure to be around. There is no reason I can imagine to be terrifed of him.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Frater Taciturnus
Auron
Posts: 2463
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Frater Taciturnus » Thu May 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Doink the Clown wrote:
Ice Warrior wrote:
Cheynem wrote:I will vouch for Chris as a delightful young man who will probably not harm your kids.
Chris is pretty cool. You want him to liveblog your games.
Thirded. Chris is a fine gentleman and a pleasure to be around. There is no reason I can imagine to be terrifed of him.
He does have that nasty habit of eating the navels of children. And the drums he carries around are far too large.
George Berry
georgeberry.vcu@gmail.com
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Thu May 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Doink the Clown wrote:
Ice Warrior wrote:
Cheynem wrote:I will vouch for Chris as a delightful young man who will probably not harm your kids.
Chris is pretty cool. You want him to liveblog your games.
Thirded. Chris is a fine gentleman and a pleasure to be around. There is no reason I can imagine to be terrifed of him.
He does have that nasty habit of eating the navels of children. And the drums he carries around are far too large.
STOP MAKING HARD CLUES EASY
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

User avatar
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Kwang the Ninja » Sat May 29, 2010 6:17 pm

In case anyone isn't following the HSNCT live Twitter feed, Maggie Walker beat State College in a prelim meeting, becoming the last undefeated team, before losing to Dorman the next round.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13

User avatar
Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite
Auron
Posts: 1145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite » Sat May 29, 2010 8:00 pm

So it looks like after the prelims, DCD, State College, Gov, and Dorman all finished at 9-1, while Walter Johnson, LASA, GDS, and a few others are 8-2.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13
VP of Technology, PACE
Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food

User avatar
jdeliverer
Rikku
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Providence

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by jdeliverer » Sat May 29, 2010 9:25 pm

It won't make a difference, since we didn't make the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure we were credited with a loss somewhere that we won, since Latin was 5-5 and we were listed as 4-6.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10

User avatar
Auroni
Auron
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Urbana

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Auroni » Sat May 29, 2010 9:28 pm

This spreadsheet has the accurate statistics for the Saturday rounds:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... IVEE&hl=en
Auroni Gupta
UIUC
ACF

gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:12 am

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by gaurav.kandlikar » Sat May 29, 2010 9:47 pm

So I hear from the Eden Prairie B team members that they went 6-4 today, but the posted standings show them has going 5-5. Who can we contact to settle this discrepancy?

Thanks,
Gaurav Kandlikar
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE

User avatar
marnold
Tidus
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: NY

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by marnold » Sat May 29, 2010 11:51 pm

gaurav.kandlikar wrote:So I hear from the Eden Prairie B team members that they went 6-4 today, but the posted standings show them has going 5-5. Who can we contact to settle this discrepancy?

Thanks,
Gaurav Kandlikar
They went 6-4. They beat Ladue the last round in our room, so Ladue should be 5-5.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.

User avatar
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Unicolored Jay » Sun May 30, 2010 12:18 am

Our individual stats do not match up with the scoresheet's:

I calculated this from my scoresheets.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

User avatar
etchdulac
Rikku
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 6:02 am
Location: Texas, for better or worse

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by etchdulac » Sun May 30, 2010 12:52 am

If they turned in an end-of-day record card with a contact number, and there is a discrepancy, they should've gotten a call. Can't offer any more info than that.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00

User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
Posts: 4650
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Deviant Insider » Sun May 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Teams Eliminated From Playoffs:
NOTE: This is mostly accurate. People who have figured out what happened after this should add on. The last undefeated team is Maggie Walker, and their last two wins came over State College and Bellarmine. GDS and LASA each took their first loss in Round Four.

Round I
Santa Fe by Everglades
GPN by Chaska
Novi by Cistercian
Carbondale by Loyola
EP by CR
Tippecanoe by Seton Hall
Churchill by Livingston
Grand Junction by Culver
MLK by Adair
Wilm Charter B by DCC B
Rocky Grove by Lisgar

Round II
University by Olmsted Falls
Walton by Walnut Hills
St Ignatius by Quince
Parkview by Santa Monica
South Range by Dunbar
Arcadia by Kellenberg
New Trier by Centennial
St Paul by Seven Lakes
Glenwood by Bergen
Cheshire by Brophy
DeLaSalle by Pensacola
Lisgar by Berkeley
WJ by Adair
DCC B by Dorman B
Culver by St Thomas
Livingston by Bernardo
Seton Hall by Hooch
CR by Auburn
Loyola by Hoover
Cistercian by La Jolla
Chaska by St Joseph
Ransom Everglades by MSJ

Round III
Raleigh Charter by Centennial
TJ by Seven Lakes
Olmsted Falls by duPont
Walnut Hills by LASA B
Quince by T Pines
S Monica by EP
Dunbar by Stevenson
Kellenberg by Hume Fogg
Bergen by Solon
Brophy by St Marks
Pensacola by MSJ
Dorman B by La Jolla
St Thomas by Auburn
R Bernardo by Hoochee
Hoover by Adair
St Joseph by Berkeley

Round IV
OPRF by Adair
Centennial by Stevenson
Auburn by Dorman
St Marks by EP
duPont by MSJ
Berkeley by LASA B
La Jolla by DCD
HF by Seven Lakes
Solon by Torrey Pines
In addition, there should have been a match involving Hooch, DCC, and/or Wilmington Charter.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

User avatar
Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite
Auron
Posts: 1145
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite » Sun May 30, 2010 2:10 pm

I know that DCD and DCC both finished tied for 7th.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13
VP of Technology, PACE
Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food

Locked