contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 am

byoung wrote:Stats: Prelims, playoffs (and finals), combined.

If you see some issue with the stats, leave a message here and sooner or later someone will tell me about it, I expect.
Pseudonyms are really annoying. High school players, STOP USING THEM.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1451
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament IV (11/14/09)

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:42 am

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:
byoung wrote:Stats: Prelims, playoffs (and finals), combined.

If you see some issue with the stats, leave a message here and sooner or later someone will tell me about it, I expect.
Pseudonyms are really annoying. High school players, STOP USING THEM.
If you're talking about State College, it's fairly clear who's who. It doesn't matter too much in this case.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

New York Undercover
Wakka
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament IV (11/14/09)

Post by New York Undercover » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:44 am

Well I mean, it's not clear to, say, someone like me who has never played state college but is still interested in looking at individual stats.
And can you really tell me with certainty which player is "Natalie Merchant" and which is "Marc Anthony"?

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament IV (11/14/09)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:48 am

Journey to the Planets wrote:
Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:
byoung wrote:Stats: Prelims, playoffs (and finals), combined.

If you see some issue with the stats, leave a message here and sooner or later someone will tell me about it, I expect.
Pseudonyms are really annoying. High school players, STOP USING THEM.
If you're talking about State College, it's fairly clear who's who. It doesn't matter too much in this case.
Okay, then tell me about all their players on their B-E teams that i would like to know about.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
Wall of Ham
Rikku
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament IV (11/14/09)

Post by Wall of Ham » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:02 am

If you want to know their real names, talk to them at the tournament (or talk to somebody that did).

If you want to know these high schoolers' real names over the internet, even on their B-E teams, well, that is a little on the creepy and stalkerish side.
Barry
Cornell

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament IV (11/14/09)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:07 am

It's "stalkerish" to see what the names of the players are on one of the best programs in the country? Okay. God forbid i have some interest in seeing what players they have coming up next to keep an eye on.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament IV (11/14/09)

Post by at your pleasure » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:15 am

Wall of Ham wrote:If you want to know their real names, talk to them at the tournament (or talk to somebody that did).

If you want to know these high schoolers' real names over the internet, even on their B-E teams, well, that is a little on the creepy and stalkerish side.
At least some of these high schoolers will presumably play for State College A at some point, no? in that case, it's legitimate information for someone following quizbowl to know since it helps them evaluate the future prospects of State College. Noting the preformance of these B-E teams is comparable to following MLB farm teams to see which teams have the most impressive rising talent.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:16 am

Pseudonyms suck. State College and every other team with players that think they want to use pseudonyms should stop thinking that.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by kayli » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:26 am

It's important to keep track of statistics on a team and its players. It's useful knowing who's good at what and who's going to be at what tournament on any given day. It helps people make better buzzes and substitutions even. So yeah, pseudonyms should not be used.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Captain Sinico
Auron
Posts: 2840
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Champaign, Illinois

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Captain Sinico » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:26 am

I really don't get why we always have this "debate." I already told you all the last time I could stomach posting on this issue: seemingly everyone agrees that pseudonym use is almost always sophomoric, but it's not like you can stop people from doing it. Since that's abundantly clear, I don't get why we have this constant rolling dialogue on the issue in seemingly every tournament thread, especially given that it usually consists of the same people saying the same stuff. This is not productive.
In fact, I'm going to go ahead and declare that we no longer do have that. I can do that because the next time someone (coach, player, anyone) posts in a tournament thread about pseudonym use, they will be at least warned and probably banned for a little while (depending on whether I think they know about this and what other admins think) and the post merged into this or another suitable clearinghouse thread. GUARANTEED! If you want to stop pseudonym use, the only thing I can think for you to do is request the people running your tournaments to require real names somehow, which I continue to think isn't a good idea, but hey, do whatever you want. If you want to talk about pseudonym use here or whatever other godawful threads crop up (e.g. LOL THIS ONE TIME WE ALL WENT AT FF XII CHARACTERS IT WAS SO KAWAII ^_________^) go right ahead.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
ACF
IHSSBCA
PACE

User avatar
Wall of Ham
Rikku
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Wall of Ham » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:27 am

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:It's "stalkerish" to see what the names of the players are on one of the best programs in the country? Okay. God forbid i have some interest in seeing what players they have coming up next to keep an eye on.
It wasn't really directed at you, but there is some sort of "celebrity" culture in quizbowl. This is all fine and dandy for experienced star players and writers that put their name on hundreds of packets, but I don't think it's necessary when it comes to young high schoolers and growing stars who have probably only played this tournament or two.

I guess I am saying if Player A played had 100 PPG on Team B of School C, is it really necessary for everyone across the country to speculate on the future of Player A when he's only a freshman? Especially if he didn't give his own name?

Obviously the pseudonyms weren't used for privacy; (I think) they help make it a little more fun and builds teamwork for those teams who won't be winning many games. But if they don't voluntarily give their real names, you can't really force them too.
Last edited by Wall of Ham on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Cornell

User avatar
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Mettius Fufetius » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:33 am

People playing quizbowl have the right to call themselves whatever they want, and they shouldn't be prevented from doing so. The community's ability to follow the progress of individual players isn't as important as that right. I agree with Sorice that the people who insist on crashing every results thread containing pseudonyms with angry, ALL CAPS complaints are wasting everyone's time.
Quinn James
Furman University '10

wd4gdz
Tidus
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by wd4gdz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:40 am

Marchbanks wrote:People playing quizbowl have the right to call themselves whatever they want, and they shouldn't be prevented from doing so. The community's ability to follow the progress of individual players isn't as important as that right. I agree with Sorice that the people who insist on crashing every results thread containing pseudonyms with angry, ALL CAPS complaints are wasting everyone's time.
Holy crap, I agree with Nathan James. Is it the year 2012 already?
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU

User avatar
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:14 pm
Location: MD

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 am

Hey, don't forget about times pseudonyms are necessary. They're rare, but they exist.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15256
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by AKKOLADE » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:28 am

I just want to note that with PACE, a school can earn multiple bids to NSC if they have a team qualify at one tournament and then have another team, made up of completely different players, qualify at another tournament. Pseudonyms make it more difficult for me to confirm this information, because I don't know who thinks Bulbasaur is funny as opposed to Charmander. If you care about this, you should not use pseudonyms.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: Somewhere nice.
Contact:

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:39 am

The XFL used pseudonyms. "He Hate Me" aka Rod Smart being the most famous. Maybe State College wants to play some form of quiz bowl where there are 2 harder 15 point bonuses (no PAT rule in XFL). Also, maybe they want to have a race into the room to see which team gets to sit on which side of the room (XFL opening scramble). And finally, maybe State College doesn't want a sudden death tiebreaker, maybe they just want to answer alternating bonus questions until one team has more points than the other (XFL/college football overtime rule).

Or maybe like every high school quiz bowler, they are in high school, and that kind of thing is cool.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15256
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by AKKOLADE » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

nalin wrote:The XFL used pseudonyms. "He Hate Me" aka Rod Smart being the most famous. Maybe State College wants to play some form of quiz bowl where there are 2 harder 15 point bonuses (no PAT rule in XFL). Also, maybe they want to have a race into the room to see which team gets to sit on which side of the room (XFL opening scramble). And finally, maybe State College doesn't want a sudden death tiebreaker, maybe they just want to answer alternating bonus questions until one team has more points than the other (XFL/college football overtime rule).
And maybe... State College wants to stop playing quiz bowl (XFL shutting down)?
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
TheKingInYellow
Rikku
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by TheKingInYellow » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 am

Maybe State College enjoys using pseudonyms, for whatever reason, and doesn't care about your inability to speculate about our future
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15256
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by AKKOLADE » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:34 am

FredMorlan wrote:
nalin wrote:The XFL used pseudonyms. "He Hate Me" aka Rod Smart being the most famous. Maybe State College wants to play some form of quiz bowl where there are 2 harder 15 point bonuses (no PAT rule in XFL). Also, maybe they want to have a race into the room to see which team gets to sit on which side of the room (XFL opening scramble). And finally, maybe State College doesn't want a sudden death tiebreaker, maybe they just want to answer alternating bonus questions until one team has more points than the other (XFL/college football overtime rule).
And maybe... State College wants to stop playing quiz bowl (XFL shutting down)?
While Graham Moyer has a short run as the Carolina Panthers' kick returner and third running back (Rod Smart etc. etc)?
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron
Posts: 2613
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:18 am

Meh. I'm of the opinion that if people don't care whether other people know whether they were at a tournament, or about how well they did, there's no reason for them not to use dumb pseudonyms.

Of all the things to make a thread about, this is relatively minor.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF

Sailing away on my copper boat

dschafer
Rikku
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Carnegie Mellon University

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by dschafer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:25 am

TheKingInYellow wrote:Maybe State College enjoys using pseudonyms, for whatever reason, and doesn't care about your inability to speculate about our future
This basically summarizes my view on pseudonym usage at tournaments.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06

User avatar
vcuEvan
Auron
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:49 pm
Location: Richmond VA

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by vcuEvan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:36 am

TheKingInYellow wrote:Maybe State College enjoys using pseudonyms, for whatever reason, and doesn't care about your inability to speculate about our future
Maybe State College should care about how the use of pseudonyms can screw up attempts to make fair brackets for such important tournaments as the NSC.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15

User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6557
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Cheynem » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:41 am

I think pseudonyms are really, really dumb, but I'm old. That said, there's really no way to stop a team from doing it if they wanted to (for instance, you might prevent me from using the alias "Bulbasaur," but I could dub myself "Jorge" probably without incident) and establishing get-tough rules about it seems like a waste of time.

I agree that other people voyeuristically caring about who's doing what is not a good reason to stop using pseudonyms. Attempting to use information to set brackets, qualify teams, etc. is a valid reason and I would appeal to teams on that basis.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

User avatar
Wall of Ham
Rikku
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Wall of Ham » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:44 pm

As long as the A team is the A team, the B team is the B team, I think the issues that Fred and Evan brought up would be nullified.
Barry
Cornell

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15256
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by AKKOLADE » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Wall of Ham wrote:As long as the A team is the A team, the B team is the B team, I think the issues that Fred and Evan brought up would be nullified.
Yeah, but what if a player misses a tournament?
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Pseudonyms suck. State College and every other team with players that think they want to use pseudonyms should stop thinking that.
I agree with Dees. But I also agree with Issac. South Range's alias Pallet Town Prep may have to make an appearance this year if certain things with our Administration continue.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Member, PACE

User avatar
Wall of Ham
Rikku
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Wall of Ham » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:57 pm

FredMorlan wrote:
Wall of Ham wrote:As long as the A team is the A team, the B team is the B team, I think the issues that Fred and Evan brought up would be nullified.
Yeah, but what if a player misses a tournament?
Unless that player is a 100ppg player (which you could easily glean from a quick glance at the stats), the seeding shouldn't be affected that much?

Seeding are only a general gist of strength, and shouldn't be that big of a deal; Pseudonyms shouldn't be that big of a deal; and I fail to see why any person on this board should have such a strong dislike against pseudonyms that their arguments are similar to those directed at Chip Beale. Did I just drop into the Health Care debate or something?

EDIT: I guess this was directed at Dees' post only.
Barry
Cornell

User avatar
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Mettius Fufetius » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Cheynem wrote:Attempting to use information to set brackets [...] is a valid reason and I would appeal to teams on that basis.
When you're setting a bracket, you're relying on the team's coach regarding who's coming to the tournament, how strong the teams are, etc. rather than strictly looking at stats. So, just ask the coach, in private, which previously pseudonymous players are playing on which teams at the next tournament. If the coach wants to lie about this, well, there are 5000 ways the coach could lie about team strength even in the absence of pseudonyms.
FredMorlan wrote:I just want to note that with PACE, a school can earn multiple bids to NSC if they have a team qualify at one tournament and then have another team, made up of completely different players, qualify at another tournament. Pseudonyms make it more difficult for me to confirm this information, because I don't know who thinks Bulbasaur is funny as opposed to Charmander. If you care about this, you should not use pseudonyms.
On the other hand, I'd be happy to make an exemption for tournaments with multiple-team qualification procedures. In fact, if PACE were to make it an official policy that schools seeking to qualify multiple teams to NSC must not use pseudonyms in those tournaments where they're attempting to qualify, that would be fine by me. This shouldn't be used as any sort of general argument against pseudonyms, though, as multiple-team qualification affects only a small number of teams playing in a small number of tournaments, all of whom probably know who they are.
Quinn James
Furman University '10

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15256
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by AKKOLADE » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Wall of Ham wrote:Unless that player is a 100ppg player (which you could easily glean from a quick glance at the stats), the seeding shouldn't be affected that much?
Just one example, but Hunter at LIFT IX, which used IS-88, had Lily, Zihan, David and William on their team. They averaged 19.38 ppb and 380.8 ppg on a format with powers and negs.

At HFT, Hunter had Paul, Lily, York and Zihan. They averaged 23.84 ppb and 475.8 ppg in a tournament without powers but with negs, on a question set that was probably a bit more difficult than IS-88. York had 37.50 ppg and Paul had 17.08 ppg, which is about 45 more ppg.

Hunter's HFT performance would earn them a fairly notably higher seed than the one at LIFT.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
marnold
Tidus
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: NY

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by marnold » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:15 pm

So sometimes my skimming of the high school forums are rewarded with hilarity (people predicting Maggie Walker will win ACF Nats! most threads about Georgia!) but then most of the time it's just this. To make this a constructive post, maybe PACE should consider a policy mandating real names (or subsequently sending PACE real names) to earn bids.

EDIT: apparently this was suggested just before me. Carry on!
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.

User avatar
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Mettius Fufetius » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:17 pm

marnold wrote:To make this a constructive post, maybe PACE should consider a policy mandating real names (or subsequently sending PACE real names) to earn bids.
I don't see why a team that's only looking for one bid should have to use their real names. For multiple bids, sure.
Quinn James
Furman University '10

User avatar
Wall of Ham
Rikku
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Wall of Ham » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:22 pm

FredMorlan wrote: Just one example, but Hunter at LIFT IX, which used IS-88, had Lily, Zihan, David and William on their team. They averaged 19.38 ppb and 380.8 ppg on a format with powers and negs.

At HFT, Hunter had Paul, Lily, York and Zihan. They averaged 23.84 ppb and 475.8 ppg in a tournament without powers but with negs, on a question set that was probably a bit more difficult than IS-88. York had 37.50 ppg and Paul had 17.08 ppg, which is about 45 more ppg.

Hunter's HFT performance would earn them a fairly notably higher seed than the one at LIFT.
And a quick glance at the individual scores (without names) will tell you these were probably not the same people. Of course, I'm not denying that seeding would be easier without pseudonyms, I just don't thing it is a strong enough reason to completely deny teams the ability to call themselves whatever they want.

LIFT
65.00
62.86
5.00
-1.43

HFT
15.83
58.33
39.17
27.50
Barry
Cornell

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:24 pm

All tournaments I run will continue to use a "pseudonyms are not permitted because they are stupid" policy.

This has nothing to do with seeding PACE (as it applies equally to college tournaments) or any other concern listed in this thread besides my aversion to things that are stupid. Since it is a policy of tournaments I am personally TDing, I do in fact have the power to enforce it, and will do so.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:14 pm
Location: MD

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Matt Weiner wrote:All tournaments I run will continue to use a "pseudonyms are not permitted because they are stupid" policy.

This has nothing to do with seeding PACE (as it applies equally to college tournaments) or any other concern listed in this thread besides my aversion to things that are stupid. Since it is a policy of tournaments I am personally TDing, I do in fact have the power to enforce it, and will do so.
So would you deny me the option to come assuming my coaches continue to boycott "Blake" going to tournaments?
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:36 pm

As a reasonable, non-robot person, I would of course do the reasonable thing in that situation, which has never yet actually happened at a VCU tournament.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15256
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by AKKOLADE » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Wall of Ham wrote:And a quick glance at the individual scores (without names) will tell you these were probably not the same people. Of course, I'm not denying that seeding would be easier without pseudonyms, I just don't thing it is a strong enough reason to completely deny teams the ability to call themselves whatever they want.

LIFT
65.00
62.86
5.00
-1.43

HFT
15.83
58.33
39.17
27.50
I don't know why you make statements like "unless they score 100 ppg, seeding won't be affected", are proven wrong and then continue to argue after I prove those statements wrong. You said it wouldn't effect seeding. I show you how it would. You say that it's clear which team is which. This is only clear after the fact, not before.

Pseudonyms can have an effect on seeding for things like NSC (and other events, like HFT itself, which I know tried to seed the teams correctly for fair brackets). If I had no idea which team, the HFT or LIFT one, was coming to NSC, then I couldn't appropriately seed them.

Teams can use all the pseudonyms they want if TDs allow them. I think it'd be silly and/or entirely too much of a headache for PACE to try to enforce a rule against them. But if a thread comes up where people are saying there's absolutely no reason pseudonyms are bad, and I point out a small instance of it having an effect from my own experience, don't tell me I'm wrong.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Mettius Fufetius » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:00 pm

FredMorlan wrote: Pseudonyms can have an effect on seeding for things like NSC (and other events, like HFT itself, which I know tried to seed the teams correctly for fair brackets). If I had no idea which team, the HFT or LIFT one, was coming to NSC, then I couldn't appropriately seed them.
Radical suggestion: ask the coach/player representative "hey, which team -- the HFT or LIFT one, or some other team -- is coming?" (EDIT: Isn't that what TDs who seed events normally have to do, regardless of pseudonym use?)
Last edited by Mettius Fufetius on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quinn James
Furman University '10

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:01 pm

You wouldn't necessarily know there is any difference in team composition though, since different people put up different numbers at different tournaments, so there's no guarantee you would know to ask that question.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
Wall of Ham
Rikku
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 am

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Wall of Ham » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:04 pm

FredMorlan wrote:
Wall of Ham wrote:And a quick glance at the individual scores (without names) will tell you these were probably not the same people. Of course, I'm not denying that seeding would be easier without pseudonyms, I just don't thing it is a strong enough reason to completely deny teams the ability to call themselves whatever they want.
I don't know why you make statements like "unless they score 100 ppg, seeding won't be affected", are proven wrong and then continue to argue after I prove those statements wrong. You said it wouldn't effect seeding. I show you how it would. You say that it's clear which team is which. This is only clear after the fact, not before.

Pseudonyms can have an effect on seeding for things like NSC (and other events, like HFT itself, which I know tried to seed the teams correctly for fair brackets). If I had no idea which team, the HFT or LIFT one, was coming to NSC, then I couldn't appropriately seed them.

Teams can use all the pseudonyms they want if TDs allow them. I think it'd be silly and/or entirely too much of a headache for PACE to try to enforce a rule against them. But if a thread comes up where people are saying there's absolutely no reason pseudonyms are bad, and I point out a small instance of it having an effect from my own experience, don't tell me I'm wrong.
Err... I never said you were wrong. In fact, If you work through my double negatives, I said you were right.

Sorry, Fred and the rest of the board, if it looks like I was being argumentative for arguments' sake. I just don't think pseudonyms should be disallowed, especially when people give their reason for doing so as "pseudonyms are stupid". Of course, it is the TD's perogative to do whatever he/she wants.

You are right, pseudonyms makes seeding a national tournament harder.
Barry
Cornell

User avatar
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Mettius Fufetius » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Correct me if I'm clinging to a falsehood here. But I'm under the impression that TDs who seed events always try to get in touch with the coach/player rep to find out if Backward Thebes High is sending their full A-team, or if they're promoting two JV players because Jurgen broke his arm and Clym has an ACT date. It seems to me that this discussion could be carried on equally well with reference to pseudonyms from a recent tournament, which the coach/player rep would presumably know about. If this is not, in fact, true, then fine.
Quinn James
Furman University '10

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:13 pm

I've never done that, and I don't think most people do. We were only asked for rosters in high school for one non-state or national tournament.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
Captain Sinico
Auron
Posts: 2840
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Champaign, Illinois

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Captain Sinico » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Marchbanks wrote:I don't see why a team that's only looking for one bid should have to use their real names. For multiple bids, sure.
PACE could actually do this, though, if PACE decided it didn't like pseudonym use (which it might do for a variety of valid reasons, obvious to people here or not.) I guess it would be difficult to enforce and PACE would probably look like jerks if they had to deny someone's bid on this basis.
In fact, that's really what's always going to be the issue here: you can't really stop pseudonym use without doing things that open up a lot of other unpleasant behaviors. For example, if PACE were to implement this rule, I think we know what happens at NSC when some intrepid rules lawyers discover their opponents have a player player who used a nick name at a PACE qualifier. I don't think anyone wants that.
As for the Matt's "We just don't allow them" thing, I mean, I just don't understand how you propose to be able to stop everyone. What are you going to do if someone just refuses to give their real name? What about if someone tricks a scorekeeper?

MaS
Mike Sorice
Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
ACF
IHSSBCA
PACE

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Captain Sinico wrote:As for the Matt's "We just don't allow them" thing, I mean, I just don't understand how you propose to be able to stop everyone. What are you going to do if someone just refuses to give their real name? What about if someone tricks a scorekeeper?
I have found that most people who attend our tournaments are fairly reasonable and are not out to be uncooperative for its own sake, and they follow the instructions that we give. I also routinely say something like "if you have privacy concerns, you can just give your initial" when I warn against pseudonyms.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:14 pm
Location: MD

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:31 pm

I would also just like to point out that one team member of mine inadvertently played under a pseudonym for some of PACE last year, as he only played on Sunday and left him off our roster. Our first round mod advised us it would be "easier" to just have him play under the name of someone who came yesterday, so we did for a while until we got it fixed later.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's impossible to guard against, if nothing else, circumstances like these- not that teams would joking call themselves "Joe" and "Pat" when those aren't their names, but that they can happen.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again

User avatar
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Unicolored Jay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:07 am

I think my teammates like pseudonyms too much. So if anyone is interested in what Solon does, there will be times when you will not be able to differentiate among players. I'm guilty of using a few last year, but I've tried to keep it consistent at least. (The only one I remember using was "J-Money.") I think my teammates use them freely because they like doing so and possibly because they believe there are not many people who really care about specific members on our team and what kind of PPG they are putting up.

I'm not using any pseudonyms this year, regardless of what my teammates do. Even I'm having a hard time remembering who is who, so i'm starting to dislike them.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

Dante (Bichette)
Lulu
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Dante (Bichette) » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Lily doesn't like them. She's all like "uhhhhhhhhh" in an annoying way.

But I always go as Paul Q anyway.
Paul Moschetti
Hunter College High School '12

Angry Babies in Love
Yuna
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: MD//DC

Re: contribute your opinions on pseudonyms here!

Post by Angry Babies in Love » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 pm

I personally always looked forward to trying to come up with pseudonyms, as did most of our team, especially two years ago. But I think for the sake of comparison it is more convenient to have real names/consistent pseudonyms and the use of pseudonyms should be discouraged unless the school has some issue with using their real names or they really really don't think they'll be compared. But if they use Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan they can be banned from quizbowl forever.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl

Locked