Carnal Embrace IV & ATM I (2/13/2010)@Arcadia High School,CA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Carnal Embrace IV & ATM I (2/13/2010)@Arcadia High School,CA

Post by Joe Romersa »

Arcadia Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce:

Arcadia Carnal Embrace IV

LOCATION: Arcadia High School, 180 Campus Dr., Arcadia CA 91007

DATE: The tournament will be held on February 13, 2010. Check-in begins at 8:30 am, and first round should begin around 9 am. Schedules will be distributed at check-in.

FORMAT: The tournament will be using NAQT IS-90. The tournament will adhere to Official NAQT Rules. Each round will be run as untimed, 10-question halves, with a preliminary round robin followed by reseeding based on results from the round robin phase. Seedings in the individual sub-brackets will be determined by the overall win-loss record.

Ties for reseedings will be resolved based on points per bonus, followed by points per game.

As stated in the NAQT HSNCT (High School National Championship Tournament) qualification rules, the top 15% of the field will qualify for the HSNCT held in Chicago, Illinois. The top two teams will also most likely qualify for the PACE NSC (National Scholastics Championship).

ELIGIBILITY: All high school students are welcome to attend.

PRICING STRUCTURE:
Base fee = $80
-$5 for a fully-functional buzzer system (Must have at least four working buzzers on both sides) There is no limit to the number of buzzers systems a school would like to bring
-$10 for each team after the first
-$5 for each team traveling distances over 90 miles, according to Google Maps
-$10 for each team that has not competed in an NAQT tournament in the past 2 years.

Minimum fee = $60/team

Please make checks payable to: Arcadia High School Quiz Bowl. Please do not make a check out to any other person or entity. Checks, or cash will be due at the start of the tournament during registration. Should your team not be able to provide the payment at this time, and would like to send their registration fee in advance or later, please contact the Tournament Director at [email protected] to make the proper arrangements.

PRIZES: Prizes will be offered to the top teams, as well as to the top individual scorers.

REGISTRATION: The tournament director is Alex Wang. The advisor of this tournament will be Mr. Christopher Schultz. If you are interested in attending, please e-mail Alex Wang at [email protected] with the following information:

1) Your school's name
2) Coach (or representative) name and e-mail address
3) The number of teams you are bringing
4) The number of buzzer systems

All teams whose registrations are received after 12:01 a.m. on February 10th, 2010 will be charged a $20 late fee. All registrations received after I get home from school on Friday, February 12th, 2010 will most likely be ignored.

There is a tentative field cap of 16 teams. The field will be expanded if there is enough interest, and we can get more staffers.

Updates about the tournament will primarily be through the Southern California High School Quiz Bowl listserv; in addition, they should also be posted online on the tournament announcement section on hsquizbowl.org.

Information regarding places to eat, directions to the school and directions to local eateries will be provided to all registered teams.

If you have any questions about any of this, please e-mail Alex Wang at [email protected]

Thanks and hope to see you February 13th,
Alex Wang
Tournament Director, Arcadia Carnal Embrace IV
Last edited by Joe Romersa on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Re: Carnal Embrace IV (2/13/2010) @ Arcadia High School, CA

Post by Joe Romersa »

Carnal Embrace
Rancho Bernardo x3
Hart x1
North Hollywood x3
Edison x2
La Jolla x3
Polytechnic x2
14 Teams

Trashtwostrophe Mirror
North Hollywood x3
La Jolla x2
Edison x2
Arcadia x3
Rancho Bernardo x2
12 Teams
Last edited by Joe Romersa on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:15 am, edited 11 times in total.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
fee6
Lulu

Post by fee6 »

Diamond Bar will probably send 1-2 teams - see the email I sent you, Alex.
Brandon
Diamond Bar HS
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

Ditto for RB.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Re: Carnal Embrace IV & ATM (2/13/2010) Arcadia High School, CA

Post by Joe Romersa »

This just in:

Arcadia Quiz Bowl is extremely pleased to announce:
ATM I (Arcadia Trashtwostrophe Mirror)

This will be a doubles Trash tournament side-event for ACE IV. (For those who do not know what "trash" is, it is a quiz bowl term for pop culture.)

LOCATION: Arcadia High School, 180 Campus Dr., Arcadia CA 91007

DATE: The side event will be held right after Carnal Embrace ends (Approximately 5:30 p.m.)

FORMAT: The packets will be from the Trashtastrophe and/or Trashtwostrophe sets, written by Dan Donahue, Jeff Geringer, and others. The announcement for Trashtwostrophe can be found here. All of the questions are pop culture

Each packet consists of 20 tossups and no bonuses. Teams may have a maximum of 2 people.

ELIGIBILITY: EVERYONE is eligible to attend (students, advisors, parents, etc.)

PRICE:
Fee = $20 for a team consisting of 1 or 2 people.

Please make checks payable to: Arcadia High School Quiz Bowl. Please do not make a check out to any other person or entity. Checks, or cash will be due at the start of the tournament during registration. Should your team not be able to provide the payment at this time, and would like to send their registration fee in advance or later, please contact the Tournament Director at [email protected] to make the proper arrangements.

PRIZES: Prizes will be probably be offered to the top teams, as well as to the top individual scorers.

REGISTRATION: The tournament director is Alex Wang. The advisor of this tournament will be Mr. Christopher Schultz. If you are interested in attending, please e-mail Alex Wang at [email protected] with the following information:

1) Your team name (You can be creative and use anything you want)
2) The members of your team

All teams whose registrations are received after 12:01 a.m. on February 10th, 2010 will be charged a $5 late fee. All registrations received after I get home from school on Friday, February 12th, 2010 will most likely be ignored.

There is a tentative field cap of 16 teams. The field will be expanded if there is enough interest, and we can get more staffers.

Updates about the tournament will primarily be through the Southern California High School Quiz Bowl listserv; in addition, they should also be posted online on the tournament announcement section on hsquizbowl.org.

If you have any questions about any of this, please e-mail Alex Wang at [email protected]

Thanks and hope to see you February 13th,
Alex Wang
Tournament Director, Arcadia Trashtwostrophe Mirror I
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Carnal Embrace is now PACE affiliated (Gold certification TBA), so it qualifies for both the NAQT HSNCT and PACE NSC now.

Arcadia Trashtwostrophe Mirror does not qualify anyone for anything and is just for people to play for pride and honor (and some prize TBD). We still encourage people to sign up for this just because its fun.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Re: Carnal Embrace IV & ATM I (2/13/2010)@Arcadia High School,CA

Post by Joe Romersa »

Regarding the discount for
"-$10 for each team that has not competed in an NAQT tournament in the past 2 years."

This only applies for OFFICIAL NAQT tournaments. Therefore, playing Baby Anteater does not disqualify a team for this discount.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

ACE: it's looking like RB will be sending only one team. It's still too early to be certain, but we've been getting remarkably little interest in this tournament.

The buzzer set will still attend.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

Nevermind; we've got some more people--we're back up to two.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
fee6
Lulu

Post by fee6 »

Diamond Bar will drop 1 team.
Sorry.
Brandon
Diamond Bar HS
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Field has been updated.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Less than a week left, and 4 spots still open.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

As it stands, two teams will qualify for NAQT HSNCT. If one more team signs up, three will. I think that makes it worth cobbling a hybrid team together out of "extra" players.... How does that sound?
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

I am not sure whether or not this is allowed for an official NAQT tournament. However, I am almost certain that that team is not eligible to qualify for nationals, and may not count towards the total number of teams at a tournament.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

RB now has enough definite interest for a third team.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

FINAL FIELD UPDATE.
If this is wrong, email me ASAP

Carnal Embrace
Rancho Bernardo x3
Hart x1
North Hollywood x3
Edison x2
La Jolla x3
Polytechnic x2
14 Teams

Trashtwostrophe Mirror
North Hollywood x3
La Jolla x2
Edison x2
Arcadia x3
Rancho Bernardo x2
12 Teams
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

**EDIT** Sorry, erroneous post.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

5 buzzer no-shows and 1 semi-broken buzzer later, Round 2 is underway. And we're still 15 minutes ahead of schedule!
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Keep stats for Trashtwostrophe if you're able. I'm doing some national comparisons.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Will do.

By the way, do you mind if I reorder the packets?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Joe Romersa wrote:Will do.

By the way, do you mind if I reorder the packets?
Go ahead, dude. They weren't in any order to begin with. Just don't play the finals/last two rounds on a packet that isn't in the last five.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

With both Rancho Bernardo A and La Jolla B tied with a 10-0 record going into the final round, and with both teams slated to play each other, we decided to make it a best of 3 final. RBA blew out LJB in the first game, but LJB returned the favor in the second. The third game was much more tightly contested, and RBA came out on top by 10 points. Congratulations to Rancho Bernardo A, who, by taking first place at ACE IV, qualified for the HSNCT.

(After an hour of chaos and poor planning on my part) Our Trashtastrophe/Trashtwostrophe mirror is underway.
Last edited by Joe Romersa on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

Joe Romersa wrote:With both Rancho Bernardo A and La Jolla C tied with a 10-0....
I'm pretty sure it was La Jolla B
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

davud363000 wrote:
Joe Romersa wrote:With both Rancho Bernardo A and La Jolla C tied with a 10-0....
I'm pretty sure it was La Jolla B
I'm tired.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

So, kids who played this set as well as IS-86: were leadins more accessible at Arcadia than at UCLA? That was my primary reason for disliking IS-86, and I'm hoping that NAQT will have fixed the problem by the time we play IS-92 at La Jolla.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

gyre and gimble wrote:So, kids who played this set as well as IS-86: were leadins more accessible at Arcadia than at UCLA? That was my primary reason for disliking IS-86, and I'm hoping that NAQT will have fixed the problem by the time we play IS-92 at La Jolla.
Yeah, powers seemed to be a bit easier
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

So after Carnal Embrace, our Trashtastrophe/Trashtwostrophe mirror began. One school left early, along with 3 teams, forcing us to write up a new schedule in five minutes (for future reference, does anyone have any round robin schedules uploaded anywhere?). One other room started late, after 3 laptops failed on us, but after that, the tournament ran smoothly. Edison B(?), consisting of "Pinky" and "The Brain" took first place with a 6-1 record, and "Herminator" from La Jolla beat out our advisor, Mr. Schultz, for the top scoring award. Thanks to the teams who stayed and played our first ever trash side event.

If you have any criticisms about the set, there is a Facebook discussion group for the set. Send a message to Jeffrey Geringer for an invite.

Stats will be up later, because I lost the file. Sorry about that.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

davud363000 wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:So, kids who played this set as well as IS-86: were leadins more accessible at Arcadia than at UCLA? That was my primary reason for disliking IS-86, and I'm hoping that NAQT will have fixed the problem by the time we play IS-92 at La Jolla.
Yeah, powers seemed to be a bit easier
After calculating using Excel, the power percentage (15s / (15s + 10s)) of the entire field at TWAIN was higher than that of Carnal Embrace (0.202 for TWAIN, compared to 0.177 for ACE), although the data for TWAIN was only from rounds 1-5 (do NAQT packets get harder later in the set?). However, the PPG of the entire field at ACE was stronger than TWAIN (21.07 for ACE, 19.94 for TWAIN)

So mathematically, even though the people at ACE were better as a group, they also got less powers/correct tossups, implying that powers were HARDER to come by in ACE.

*edit* Hey I found data contrary to everything I just said
the powers/game of ACE was higher than that of TWAIN (0.385 for ACE, 0.344 for TWAIN), which implies powers were easier to come by.

or the sample space is too small and I'm just wasting my time.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

This site should help a lot.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

How can we obtain packets? I don't recall this being mentioned at the tournament.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

I think we're allowed to email them out after the set will not be played anymore.

Can someone from NAQT confirm this?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Joe Romersa wrote:do NAQT packets get harder later in the set?
No; all packets within a set should be of the same difficulty (to the best of our ability).
Joe Romersa wrote:I think we're allowed to email them out after the set will not be played anymore.

Can someone from NAQT confirm this?
We do not normally permit email distribution of our sets (even after they are clear).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Okay then.

We'll see if we can make paper copies then.
It may cost a few extra dollars though.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

Joe Romersa wrote:We'll see if we can make paper copies then.
I noticed that Arcadia will be coming to Rocket Surgery; could you bring them then?
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.