LASA Mirror of UGA Classic (2/13/10)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Diocletian
Lulu

LASA Mirror of UGA Classic (2/13/10)

Post by Diocletian »

LASA will host a mirror of UGA Classic on February 13th, 2010 in Austin, Texas. The base fee for this tournament is $75 per team. Discounts will be offered for travel ($10 for teams traveling over 150 miles), for schools entering multiple teams ($10 discount for each team entered beyond the first), and for teams bringing working buzzer systems ($10 discount for a working system). Discounts may be compounded, but the minimum fee per team entered is $50. Checks can be made out to LASA High School.

Please email historytime@(nospam)gmail.com if you would like further information or to register your team(s). Specific information about the question set can be found at the following link - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8738&p=157264&hilit=uga#p157264.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
Cassian
Lulu

Re: LASA Mirror of UGA Classic (2/13/10)

Post by Cassian »

Just FYI - we've gotten approval from the UGA folks to move this to April. It looks like we're going to hold this tournament at UT in Austin on April 10. Our original date proved to be a terrible choice since just about every school around here has a 4-day weekend due to Presidents Day. We'll post field updates as the tournament approaches and a stat link once we're done.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
Knot Gneiss
Lulu

Post by Knot Gneiss »

This happened. LASA B took first and LASA D took second, with Seven Lakes, St. John's, and LASA C all tying for third.

http://www.texasquizbowl.org/s/LASA/10T ... dings.html
Benji Nguyen
LASA
Stanford
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Is this set now cleared?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

And if it is, would it be posted?
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

Just out of curiosity, did any of the other teams have a problem with the fact that LASA closed out a tournament at LASA?
I ask because in the SC area even letting a house-team play in play-offs occasionally spurs controversy.
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I can't see why, in general, people should have objections to house teams playing given that the host is committing its most qualified staffers to staffing, and each room has both reader and scorekeeper, and the tournament director is not performing one of those roles (maybe doing stats?). As long as the host does all it can to ensure a high quality tournament, let it enter its own teams and pay mirror fees for them as well.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

For the record, LASA's A team (minus Shen, who played with a team of freshmen) and B team captain staffed the tournament. We filled out 4 LASA teams with our B team playing 3-handed, our normal C team (all freshmen), and D and E teams cobbled together to round out the brackets. Had we had more teams in the tournament, only our C team (who need game experience for HSNCT) would likely have played. I didn't hear any other teams mention anything about LASA teams being in the playoffs / finals, and I know that the tournament was staffed very well (in fact we had too many volunteers from our NHS). Overall, I thought the tournament went really well, and that was the impression I got from the teams participating.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX