Quizbowl FAQ

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Quizbowl FAQ

Post by at your pleasure » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 pm

With the assistance of Aidan Meghan, Daniel Galitsky, and Raynell Cooper, I have composed an FAQ as a reference for teams new to good quizbowl. Comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Why modern quizbowl.docx
(18.97 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

Charbroil
Auron
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:52 am
Location: St. Charles, MO

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Charbroil » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:51 pm

It looks good. However, it's a little bit on the long side--it might work to just get rid of the part about college Quiz Bowl.

Also, it's quizbowlpackets.com, not .org (page 2, next to last paragraph)
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19 (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:56 pm

that thing you wrote wrote:Hey, what are all those acryonoms you through around there?
Really? Grammar and spelling much?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by at your pleasure » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:00 am

Oof. I'll post a revised version once enough people have had a chance to comment.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5522
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Important Bird Area » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:09 am

the first HSNCT in 1997
1999.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

New York Undercover
Wakka
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by New York Undercover » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:39 am

could you upload as a .doc? Writer opens .docx files but I'm sure plenty of people use Word 2003. Also what is this about appendices?
Last edited by New York Undercover on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Wakka
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Nick » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:39 am

Also, I can understand being a little more rhetorical because you want people in your area to play quizbowl, but some of the things you say about "good/modern" quizbowl aren't necessarily facts about what quizbowl is, but more of a specific set of beliefs about what you think quizbowl should be.
Nick Clusserath

Dorman / Clemson / Rutgers

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by AKKOLADE » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:52 am

Arquette wrote:could you upload as a .doc? Writer opens .docx files but I'm sure plenty of people use Word 2003. Also what is this about appendices?
I believe you can download something that makes those files compatible with older versions of Word.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

Charbroil
Auron
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:52 am
Location: St. Charles, MO

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Charbroil » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:21 am

Nick wrote:Also, I can understand being a little more rhetorical because you want people in your area to play quizbowl, but some of the things you say about "good/modern" quizbowl aren't necessarily facts about what quizbowl is, but more of a specific set of beliefs about what you think quizbowl should be.
Well, I'm pretty sure that this is designed to promote good Quiz Bowl as the circuit believes it is, and everything in the FAQ reflects good Quiz Bowl as more or less everyone considers it, so what exactly do you find controversial in the FAQ?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19 (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by kayli » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:03 am

I'm so tempted to complain about the math computation logic, but I'm just going to say that you should focus more on how good tossups require 7+ clues and how math computation tossups can rarely include 7+ problems on a single ideal and have the question be finished within 3 minutes (which is an ungodly amount of time for one question). Speed to an extent does correlate with knowledge on how to do a problem. If you're basing a majority of your argument on the fact that math speed=/= knowledge, then you might find a lot of dissenting opinions.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Matt Weiner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:45 am

"Hey guys, some people believe that bad things are actually good and fake things are actually real, and it's important to cater to those beliefs because--"
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

jonah
Auron
Posts: 2309
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by jonah » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:10 am

FredMorlan wrote:
Arquette wrote:could you upload as a .doc? Writer opens .docx files but I'm sure plenty of people use Word 2003. Also what is this about appendices?
I believe you can download something that makes those files compatible with older versions of Word.
Indeed. Well, it does the converse, but the desired effect is achieved.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by at your pleasure » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:45 pm

Arquette wrote:Also what is this about appendices?
That was if people wanted to use the flowcharts posted by Lily Chen with this.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:05 am

Matt Weiner wrote:"Hey guys, some people believe that bad things are actually good and fake things are actually real, and it's important to cater to those beliefs because--"
Because they are very set in them and it's going to be difficult to change their minds. Going into it full force and telling them everything they believe is wrong (even if it is) will never convince them that good quizbowl is actually good. It will just make them angry.
Doink the Clown wrote:With the assistance of Aidan Meghan, Daniel Galitsky, and Raynell Cooper, I have composed an FAQ as a reference for teams new to good quizbowl. Comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
As for the FAQ, I think it's really good. Would it be OK if I kind of changed it a bit to fit Kentucky-specific problems and hand it out to people? I'll probably print off a copy of it and give it to our head coach, who is in her first year and still doesn't quite understand the difference between good quizbowl and the crap that most schools around us play on. In fact, I'd like to pass it out to coaches at other schools in our area when we play them in aforementioned crappy events.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

User avatar
Huang
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Huang » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:21 am

soaringeagle22 wrote: Because they are very set in them and it's going to be difficult to change their minds. Going into it full force and telling them everything they believe is wrong (even if it is) will never convince them that good quizbowl is actually good. It will just make them angry.
Assuming you're presenting them an articulate argument for real quizbowl, I doubt such people (re: the ones that get angry) would ever realize they're wrong even if you were to passively inform them that they're playing a fake game.
Sandy

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:33 pm

OK, so I skimmed this before going to a tournament yesterday, and only now have time to really comment on it, but here's what I think:

I think that in the form you posted this, it was an overwrought and badly-written introduction to quizbowl which I wouldn't want to hand out to a coach. It used way too many acronyms, got unlfattering and preachy, spent way too long on past quizbowl history, conflated the issue of good bracketing with the entirely separate issue of good question quality, and indulged unfamiliar so-called 'opponents' of pyramidal quizbowl by putting their straw men right in there ("What is ACF format and is it hard?" "Why not just do single-elimination?") instead of just explaining what good practices are.

The easiest way to convince people that pyramidal is more worthwhile is to convince them that it's fun and rewarding, which this paper seemed to lose the point of amidst the alphabet soup and references to things like ACF, college tournaments, and bracketed round-robins - which are all secondary to the point that it's fun and you learn stuff. I decided to try editing this into a much more friendly, recruitment-oriented document, and I'm attaching my version below. It should have Track Changes turned on if you want to see what I did or tinker with it.
Attachments
Why modern quizbowl EDITED.docx
(32.46 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF

Try my original crossword puzzles

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:39 pm

That is SO SO much better and it's something i would enjoy sending to Delaware coaches.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by kayli » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:58 pm

This one is quite excellent. Well done. *Golf clap*
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Yeah, the revision's about a billion times better. Well done.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by at your pleasure » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Thank you very much.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Ben Dillon
Rikku
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: South Bend, IN
Contact:

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Ben Dillon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Minor points:

Under "How does math work in pyramidal questions", the last phrase doesn't make grammatical sense... remove the word "about".

Under "Why not run single elimination", the second sentence says "as I said earlier", but I can't find the earlier reference.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"

User avatar
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus
Posts: 695
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:31 pm
Location: Alpharetta, GA

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by AlphaQuizBowler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:35 pm

That's really good, but why did you take out Jerry's question-writing guide and put in Berkeley's? I'm pretty sure Jerry's is the currently accepted guide. The tone is less condescending than before, but some better word choice is still necessary in places, like "So there are a bunch of tournaments, and different teams win different days. How do we figure out who’s the best of them all?"
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5522
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Important Bird Area » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:37 pm

If I were doing this, I'd link to both Jerry's guide and Seth's.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

Nick
Wakka
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Quizbowl FAQ

Post by Nick » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Most of the issues I saw have been already mentioned here and cleared up by Matt Jackson's version. Thanks, Matt.
Nick Clusserath

Dorman / Clemson / Rutgers

Locked