NAQT Southern California Championship at UCLA April 3, 2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
friendlyNemisis
Kimahri

Re: NAQT Southern California Championship at UCLA April 3, 2010

Post by friendlyNemisis »

Im guessing Arcadia rounds out the permenant feild. BUt is there still a chance that us waitlisters could get in???
Syed '11
El Camino Real
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

friendlyNemisis wrote:Im guessing Arcadia rounds out the permenant feild. BUt is there still a chance that us waitlisters could get in???
There's a good chance that RB will drop to one team (a lot of our quizbowlers seem to have stuff going on that weekend), so you'll probably get in.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

La Jolla C is still ahead of them on the wait list (based on chronological requested entry). But the sooner you can let me know absolute final # of teams the better, as I want to have everything printed out and ready to go by the end of next monday (the 29th)
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

RB will definitely bring two teams.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Just got word University High School is now 1 team. That means El Camino Real can claim the spot if they would still like it.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

Golran wrote:Just got word University High School is now 1 team.
Is that still true?
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

No, they took the second spot back after Tustin dropped to 1.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

How's the waitlist?
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Empty but for RB C.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Live stats will be found at http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/stat ... _champ2010 once we get underway in around 58 hours!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Thank you for coming to the Southern California State Championships. Quick results: 1st place undefeated Torrey Pines A, 2nd place Rancho Bernardo A, 3rd place: La Jolla B, 4th place: La Jolla A. Congratulations to these teams on qualifying for HSNCT!

I would like to thank all the teams in attendance for their continued patience throughout the day as we encountered many unforeseen difficulties and a few delays, including a door missing a lock and therefore unable to get in. I would especially like to thank the volunteer moderators that stepped in a pinch after a number of UCLA people backed out of staffing in the last 3 days.

If you have any feedback, please let me know, as I am continuously trying to improve as both a host and tournament director.

We look forward to seeing you next year at the tournaments we host, including TWAIN XI, which is likely to be the first weekend of October. I would like to wish the best of luck to the teams that will be representing Southern California at the various national tournaments.

We are missing the scoresheet for La Jolla B vs. Arcadia A from the playoffs. We know that La Jolla B won the game, but if anyone has individual stats or a score for that game, please let us know.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Would you mind putting the stats into brackets?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Wow. I mean, we all know that Stephen Liu is really good at this quizbowl stuff, but for him to get almost 100ppg and have three other teammates all get over 17ppg as well... that's pretty awesome. Torrey Pines is going to be a really scary team at Nationals. Nice job guys.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

Overall, this was an awesome tournament, but just a quick nitpick- I'm pretty sure RB lost to University B by 5 points, 265-270
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Wow. I mean, we all know that Stephen Liu is really good at this quizbowl stuff, but for him to get almost 100ppg and have three other teammates all get over 17ppg as well... that's pretty awesome. Torrey Pines is going to be a really scary team at Nationals. Nice job guys.
Thanks!

And yeah I agree that this was a good tournament. Basically, after round 2 (where we started out playing in front of the women's restroom and pausing every 2 minutes because people were going in and out) everything went quite smoothly for us. It was also really cool to have team trophies for once, since that was new for me at least. I guess the individual trophies were nice too, although I might have preferred books. Anyways, thanks to UCLA for hosting yet another successful tournament. (I think that's like, 4 or 5 this year? Wow.)
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Just for clarification, the reason teams were playing in the hallway is because our reserved room didn't have a lock in the outside door, and therefore there was no way for the facilities people to unlock the door, and we didn't have an extra room. The location was then moved to a study lounge on the third floor.

We'll be putting the stats into brackets soon (should be Tuesday at the absolute latest), and will forward them to NAQT for them to post on their website once we do so.

Also, I don't think we're going to be able to host tournaments of this size anytime in the near future because of our ability to staff them and keep them running smoothly. Also, I don't think we can host the same quantity as this year any time soon (probably going to do 3 HS tournaments next year at the beginning of each quarter {October, January, April}, but nothing set in stone), because of club members willing to direct, and I'm just now realizing how much stress this is putting on me, so I don't think I can direct as many in future years. Basically the amount of tournaments we run next year depends very largely on the quality and quantity of new recruits we get next fall.

Edit: Just to avoid a double post
Last edited by Golran on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Golran wrote:Just for clarification, the reason teams were playing in the hallway is because our reserved room didn't have a lock in the outside door, and therefore there was no way for the facilities people to unlock the door, and we didn't have an extra room. The location was then moved to a study lounge on the third floor.
Yeah I should have mentioned that, too. My original account was unfair.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

Out of curiosity, what happened with the consolation bracket that caused teams to play fewer games?
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

There was some confusion with rooms that caused teams to miss rounds and one team went to the wrong room and played there, throwing the bracket out of order.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

I heard something about "loud music", but I'm still not completely clear on what happened
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

From what I hear, there was a fashion show blasting techno in Ackerman Grand Ballroom on the second floor.

I've put the teams into brackets on the stats, but we are still missing the scoresheet of La Jolla B vs. Arcadia A from the playoffs, so if you have the score and individual stats, or any part thereof, we would appreciate it!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
fudGez
Kimahri

Post by fudGez »

I don't remember the individual stats, but the score was La Jolla B: 320 to Arcadia A: 255.
Stanley Yuan
Arcadia High School '10
Princeton University '14