Connecticut 2009-2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rpirrie
Wakka

Connecticut 2009-2010

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--if you would like to post messages about formation of a CT quiz bowl league, here's the place to do it. Just to keep you apprised of what has happened, the CT Invitational I tourney on 2/6 included a coaches' meeting to form the CT Quiz Bowl League. We will be playing a few matches this spring to test out this concept and to shake out the bugs. For 2010 - 2011, we will try to get the league going full force. The idea is to keep a tally of smaller matches run during the year, with an eye toward having a state championship in the spring.
We welcome your comments!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
David Riley
Auron

Re: Connecticut 2009-2010

Post by David Riley »

If an Illinoisan might interlope with an unsolicited piece of advice and an observation:

1) Keep any "state association" independent of the discussion (cf. Illinois and Missouri).

2) If you are planning to use NAQT/HSAPQ questions, be prepared for flak from the "As Schools Match Wits" people.

Good luck with your proposed leagues and state championship!
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I'd suggest (particularly in your league's formative years) offering deep, deep discounts to teams new to quizbowl. Really, you can afford to make their first tournament free; if they like what they see, you'll get their income for a long, long time.
Andrew Watkins
reflectia
Lulu

Post by reflectia »

Because the most-frequently asked question to me regarding Quiz Bowl (after "what is quiz bowl?") is "when is our next tournament?", I think I can safely say that my fellow Cheshire-ites would love to see more local matches. (Assuming the cost is not prohibitive over time.)

Are there any plans for an HSAPQ All-Star Team from CT this year? I'm thinking this might be a far stretch considering the rapidly approaching deadline.
Audrey Zhang
Cheshire High School
Captain, 2009-Present
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Are any of you guys planning on attending Prison Bowl? This year there were a few other good high school events in New York (Half Hollow Hills West, LIFT, I believe, all ran on NAQT questions). There are also plenty of events in New Jersey.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Katamari Damacy wrote:Are any of you guys planning on attending Prison Bowl? This year there were a few other good high school events in New York (Half Hollow Hills West, LIFT, I believe, all ran on NAQT questions). There are also plenty of events in New Jersey.
Also, there's HFT in Cambridge and a ton of college tournaments in Cambridge/Providence.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
reflectia
Lulu

Post by reflectia »

Prison Bowl is this Saturday, if I'm not mistaken, and I believe everyone on the team has conflicts with fencing (a majority of people on the team fence, and conflicts between the schedules is a big problem, one that prevented us from going to HHH and LIFT. Not going to HFT was just a case of bad planning).

(Also, the snow. That's not really an excuse for us because we're probably one of the closest teams, though.)
Audrey Zhang
Cheshire High School
Captain, 2009-Present
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--
Couple of things.

1. CT quiz bowl website should be available very soon. More on this later, but I will be proposing a limited spring schedule of matches, more to shake out problems withthe league in preparation for really gearing it up for next year. I do not anticipate having any deciding event for a "CT Champ" or anything like that. Still, as Cheshire says, it'd be nice to have a few local easily-run matches.
2. Smith will be going to BHSAT XIX 3/27. I hope to see other CT teams there; it would be good to get some more league members (especially in our part of the state, which has all of one team in it--us).

Hope to see you in New Haven 3/27

Bob Pirrie
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Bob--if you guys can mobilize, it would be great to see a Connecticut team at NASAT, or HSNCT (I think NSC is probably full by now).
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

David Riley wrote:Bob--if you guys can mobilize, it would be great to see a Connecticut team at NASAT, or HSNCT (I think NSC is probably full by now).
I think Cheshire is coming to Chicago. They seem pretty good.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Cheshire is in and registered. I will probably register today after talking to my team. Hello Newtown--will you be in this year?

Bob
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
reflectia
Lulu

Post by reflectia »

Thanks for the updates on the league. Cheshire is indeed in HSNCT, and will also be sending at least one team to BHSAT this year. We look forward to seeing everyone again!
Audrey Zhang
Cheshire High School
Captain, 2009-Present
shsquizbowl
Lulu

Post by shsquizbowl »

Simsbury High School is very excited about this league and hopes it gets started with all due haste :)
Simsbury High School
Phil ('11)
Former Captains: Stephanie and Ben ('10)
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

We will definitely talk it up at Yale. We should try out practice matches this year. Have you seen the temporary website? Here is the address:

ctquizbowlleague.eosmith.site.eboard.com

Bob Pirrie
E. O. Smith H. S.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
shsquizbowl
Lulu

Post by shsquizbowl »

To whomever is out there,
Simsbury is very interested in arranging/participating in any sort of small local tournaments any time this year or next! Feel free to contact us if you are interested! ([email protected])
Simsbury High School
Phil ('11)
Former Captains: Stephanie and Ben ('10)
Monk
Lulu

Post by Monk »

Given the difference in semester dates, there is an off chance I will be in Connecticut on vacation before Connecticut schools let out (it used to be that way for me every year, but I have more summer activities now). Is Connecticut quiz bowl as laid-back as some parts of Illinois quizbowl on rogue players?
J. L. Monk
CCHS Captain '09-'10
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Please explain what you mean.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

People who are eligible students playing solo under a non-school name so as to ensure their team doesn't get in trouble for violating sanctioning or transportation rules or whatever.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Results from June 4th Berkshire Division, Connecticut Quiz Bowl League, regular meet (very ably run by Peter Vermilyea):

Housatonic 3-0, Thomaston 2-1, Terryville A 1-2, and Terryville B 0-3

More events to come in the fall of 2011. See you then.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
reflectia
Lulu

Post by reflectia »

I hear that North Haven may be setting up a Quiz Bowl chapter, and I encouraged them to join the league. From the old district map that's on the website, it looks like that could more equitably divide the teams between the NW and the SW.
Audrey Zhang
Cheshire High School
Captain, 2009-Present