Buzzer

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Norcross, GA

Re: Buzzer

Post by Andrew's a Freshman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:17 pm

dtaylor4 wrote:Go for the one with the five cords into the team unit which goes into the main unit. Two words: interchangeable parts. If one unit goes bad in the daisy chain, you may have to replace the entire chain. Spare parts for the other are not that expensive.
I disagree. Clean-up and set-up is much more annoying with those sets because there is a lot more wire to keep untangled and also more parts in total. If buzzers #3, #2, and #1 go out on one side of your Anderson table-top set, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to pop open #3 with a Phillips Head screwdriver and grab the nearest soldering iron. I recommend it.
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15

User avatar
dtaylor4
Auron
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Re: Buzzer

Post by dtaylor4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Andrew's a Freshman wrote:
dtaylor4 wrote:Go for the one with the five cords into the team unit which goes into the main unit. Two words: interchangeable parts. If one unit goes bad in the daisy chain, you may have to replace the entire chain. Spare parts for the other are not that expensive.
I disagree. Clean-up and set-up is much more annoying with those sets because there is a lot more wire to keep untangled and also more parts in total. If buzzers #3, #2, and #1 go out on one side of your Anderson table-top set, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to pop open #3 with a Phillips Head screwdriver and grab the nearest soldering iron. I recommend it.
So how do you swing this during a tournament?

Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Norcross, GA

Re: Buzzer

Post by Andrew's a Freshman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:44 pm

It's not something that can be done on command. I still think it's worth it. It's not as if they break on a regular basis. This has happened probably twice in four years between multiple sets that we own. You can weigh your priorities, I guess.
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15

User avatar
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: Somewhere nice.
Contact:

Re: Buzzer

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:10 pm

dtaylor4 wrote:
nalin wrote:I'm bumping this thread, because we're buying a buzzer system. Right now I'm thinking Anderson (and I guess from one person's put I want the table-top). Convince me otherwise.
Go for the one with the five cords into the team unit which goes into the main unit. Two words: interchangeable parts. If one unit goes bad in the daisy chain, you may have to replace the entire chain. Spare parts for the other are not that expensive.
Good call. Replacing half of the handheld buzzers ($44/55) is cheaper than replacing the full half unit of table top ($60).
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)

Locked