ATROPHY at NIU: 4/24/10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Charley Pride
Rikku

Re: ATROPHY at NIU: 4/24/10

Post by Charley Pride »

Me, too.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:I'll get this thing, Brad.

http://www.jimmyjohns.com/menu/nutrition.aspx?id=1213
Also, what if we play art Abid against the field?
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

styxman wrote:
This post will serve for field updates. Register by posting in this thread, emailing me, or (if there's still room) in person before Round 1 of ATROPHY. When you register, include your lunch order.

Field:
Dan Donohue
Abid Haseeb
Ben Chametzky
Robert Volgman
Jonah Greenthal
Kristin Strey (assuming she gets all her stats done, then she can come out and play)
Two somebodies on whatever name you gave that team is playing this and will give you their lunch orders in the morning.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Two reminders about the art packet:
1. Brad, because I am paranoid, let me know that you got the answer list alright.
2. This is being played elsewhere on May 8th, so don't post any question-specific dicscussion. If you have a question, comment, or issue with the set, email me at [email protected].
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Brad won't be online again before the tournament, but I just called him and he confirmed that he got it. (Though he also points out that the answers are in the Powerpoint.)
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
at your pleasure
Auron

jonah wrote:Brad won't be online again before the tournament, but I just called him and he confirmed that he got it. (Though he also points out that the answers are in the Powerpoint.)
This way, he doesn't have to scroll through the powerpoint to see if an answer is right or wrong.
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

This tournament is happening. The field list is (SURPRISE!) horribly, DRASTICALLY inaccurate, as many of the schools listed were unable to get official OK to attend. We found some people to fill in, because I'd printed all those 12-team schedules.....
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

styxman wrote:This tournament is happening. The field list is (SURPRISE!) horribly, DRASTICALLY inaccurate, as many of the schools listed were unable to get official OK to attend. We found some people to fill in, because I'd printed all those 12-team schedules.....
This is why you print alternate schedules.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Wilmette School is playing Adlai Academy for a chance to play Auburn A in a one-game final.

edited to reflect correct team names
Last edited by jonah on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Adlai Academy won this in a one-game final over Auburn A, having earned the right to play Auburn A in the final by defeating Wilmette School in a play-in game. Third place was thus Wilmette School, followed by Oak Park-River Forest in fourth place. Stats are available here.
Last edited by jonah on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah Greenthal
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Jonah wrote:Oak Park-River Forest
careful. Were they here officially?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Just dropping in to say that this set won't be clear for at least another week as we try to pursue any additional last-minute interest that might exist. I hope everyone enjoyed it, and thanks to NIU for choosing to mirror our set.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Wow, look at that field wide bonus conversion.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Wow, look at that field wide bonus conversion.
Can someone speak to the degree of difficulty difference between the original set and the one played today? PM me if this is confidential.

Heartiest congratulations to Stevenson for winning this one...it's a little sad for me to realize that this was almost certainly my last invitational tournament in high school, and that I may never play against any of these teams again. I wish everyone good luck at nationals.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Charley Pride wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Wow, look at that field wide bonus conversion.
Can someone speak to the degree of difficulty difference between the original set and the one played today? PM me if this is confidential.
Difficulty is hard for me to quantify, but an average of about 3/3-5/5 was changed per round, iirc. I'm not sure if that information is helpful to you or not.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
Charley Pride wrote:
Difficulty is hard for me to quantify, but an average of about 3/3-5/5 was changed per round, iirc. I'm not sure if that information is helpful to you or not.
I suppose...I was just looking to see how comparable stats could be (specifically, PPB) between the different GSACs...I guess not that comparable then?
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Charley Pride wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:
Charley Pride wrote:
I suppose...I was just looking to see how comparable stats could be (specifically, PPB) between the different GSACs...I guess not that comparable then?
I would agree.
Sam L,
PACE
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dan-Don wrote:
Jonah wrote:Oak Park-River Forest
careful. Were they here officially?
There was a van labeled "Oak Park and River Forest High School" parked outside the building, so I'm guessing so. I'll check with Carbery next time I talk to him.
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

OPRF was here. So were Niles West, New Trier, and IMSA.

Full recap after I really wake up.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Many thanks to Brad and staff for such a great tournament. We'll see you again at ATROPHY 2.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

jonah wrote:Stevenson won this in a one-game final over PACE Prep A, having earned the right to play PACE Prep A in the final by defeating Wilmette Academy in a play-in game. Third place was thus Wilmette Academy, followed by Oak Park-River Forest in fourth place. Stats are available here.
Did Stevenson really have 7 negs in the finals?
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

No. I've been notified about a few errors, including that Mark was 2-0 in the finals rather than 2-6. I'll fix those later today.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Stats are fixed, as far as I know. If anyone is aware of other mistakes, please tell me.
Jonah Greenthal
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

ATTN JONAH: Ryan from Hobo should only have 160 TUH.

Overall Brad and Kristin ran an excellent tournament; no surprises there. It's a pity it didn't attract a bigger field, but I gotta love the fact that there were 4(?) rogue team. Right on, Illinois! One note: there was a 3-team circle of death (between IMSA, Hobo, and Lisle) for the last spot in the championship bracket. At halftime during the match that created said circle, I stopped by TC and was told that ties in record would be broken by ppb. Well, ties ended up being broken by ppg. I crunched the bonus conversion numbers, and it didn't actually make a difference, but it might have. In the future, I would suggest that TDs (this doesn't apply solely to Brad and Kristin) set such information in stone by writing it on the schedule or making a sheet of tournament rules or announcing it at the coaches' meeting (and not changing their minds later). A similar thing happened at the UIUC Solo where no one knew for sure whether or not tie games would stand, and by the time it was figured out it kinda came back to bite me in the rear end.

As for the question sets, my reaction to GSAC was two-fold. I like to think I'm a fairly competent writer, and from that perspective, the tossups were pretty darn good. The biggest issues were too much title-dropping and weird usage of pronouns and demonstrative phrases (like I got hosed on a "this region" question). But everything else (answer selection, difficulty, clues, etc.) were near-perfect and very typical. I was less enamored, however, with the bonuses, which were just all over the place difficulty-wise, usually missing a hard part or an easy part.

Doug's visarts was just...wow. I don't mind donating $2 to Team MD, but the set had issues that I'm sure: a) people have talked to Doug about and b) Doug will fix before any future mirrors.

EDIT: I guess there were 8 rogue teams, but some of them had their coaches' blessings.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

I'd like to thank everyone for making ATROPHY a great success. I hope that this begins a new tradition of "post"season events in Illinois, something that is sorely needed.

After 10 rounds of excellent performances, Stevenson narrowly edged out Loyola, 285-275, for the right to play against Auburn A in the final; Stevenson then defeated Auburn 345-300. In the consolation pool, Auburn B rebounded from an 0-5 morning, defeating Dan Donohue and St. Viator in a one-game final, 265-160. The All Tournament Team, based on morning results, consisted of Kevin Malis, Ben Chametzky, Ben Carbery, Dan Donohue, and Greg Dzuricsko.
Full stats are available at: http://www.ihssbca.org/statistics/2010_ ... ndings.php If you notice any errors, notify Jonah and he'll take care of them.

Kristin and I couldn't have run this tournament without the gracious help of Tom Egan, Mike Laudermith, Neva O'Laughlin, Matt Laird, and Jonah Greenthal. As always, their awesome work lets us plan things like "Lunch at 11:30" and "12 rounds done before 5."

Thank you all again for an excellent tournament, and we hope to see you for our tournaments next year!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dan-Don wrote:ATTN JONAH: Ryan from Hobo should only have 160 TUH.
To be fixed as soon as you IM me the correct info.
Dan-Don wrote:One note: there was a 3-team circle of death (between IMSA, Hobo, and Lisle) for the last spot in the championship bracket. At halftime during the match that created said circle, I stopped by TC and was told that ties in record would be broken by ppb. Well, ties ended up being broken by ppg. I crunched the bonus conversion numbers, and it didn't actually make a difference, but it might have. In the future, I would suggest that TDs (this doesn't apply solely to Brad and Kristin) set such information in stone by writing it on the schedule or making a sheet of tournament rules or announcing it at the coaches' meeting (and not changing their minds later).
PPG was the correct decision, because it was an intra-bracket tie. That said, I agree that it should've been announced beforehand. Sorry about that.
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

To answer Dan, you're right that advancement procedures should be written down somewhere beforehand; I apologize for overlooking that. Like Jonah says, afternoon advancement was based on PPG because the comparisons were among teams who had faced the same opponents. Kristin talked to me at lunch to ask if it was PPB or PPG, and she told me to let you know the actual situation. I promptly forgot about that conversation. Sorry!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

Charley Pride wrote:

Heartiest congratulations to Stevenson for winning this one...it's a little sad for me to realize that this was almost certainly my last invitational tournament in high school, and that I may never play against any of these teams again. I wish everyone good luck at nationals.
Why aren't you guys coming to the Champaign one?
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
at your pleasure
Auron

Dan-Don wrote:

Doug's visarts was just...wow. I don't mind donating $2 to Team MD, but the set had issues that I'm sure: a) people have talked to Doug about and b) Doug will fix before any future mirrors.
On that note, this means that people who are not Zahed or Dan should really, really email me their criticisms in case there was a problem missed by either of the aformentioned.