ATROPHY at NIU: 4/24/10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

ATROPHY at NIU: 4/24/10

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

NIU is pleased to announce the inaugural ATROPHY: April Tournament Run On Pennies, Halfpence, and Yen, to be held at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, IL, on April 24th, 2010.

This tournament is geared as a tuneup for nationals; as such, the field is currently restricted to teams that have qualified for either NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC, with priority given to teams attending either event. If there is room in the field after all such teams have registered or declined to attend, we will consider opening the field to all teams.

We will mirror Maggie Walker's GSAC set from this December.

As the price for attending nationals is steep, this tournament is going to be run, as the name suggests, on the cheap.
Entry fee per team (A and B teams): $35
Moderator discount (one per school): $10
Self-sufficiency discount: If a school brings two teams, a buzzer, and a moderator, the B team plays for just the cost of their mirror fee. The A team would play for $35.
Teams playing without school affiliation will be charged $10 per player ($35 max for a full 4 person team).

After the tournament, we hope to enjoy some scrimmage matches between players and moderators as an enjoyable end to the regular season.

If you're interested in attending, email me at styxman42 AT gmail DOT com.

Field:
Auburn A
Auburn B
Carbondale
The Dan Donohue Experience featuring Special Guests TBA
IMSA
Lisle
Loyola
New Trier
Niles West
Oak Park-River Forest
The Robert Volgman Experience
Stevenson
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Edward Elric
Tidus

Re: ATROPHY at NIU: 4/24/10

Post by Edward Elric »

I really hope to staff this, but I will first have to see any committments that I may have. I'll let you know more in a couple of weeks as I know more.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Beussink v. Woodland wrote:This tournament is geared as a tuneup for nationals; as such, the field is currently restricted to teams that have qualified for either NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC
Why the bias against NAC qualified teams? After all, this is a warmup for nationals.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

After all, :chip: needs to see Illinois teams in the best condition possible.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Charley Pride wrote:
Beussink v. Woodland wrote:This tournament is geared as a tuneup for nationals; as such, the field is currently restricted to teams that have qualified for either NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC
Why the bias against NAC qualified teams? After all, this is a warmup for nationals.
:chip: warmup was yesterday. How'd you guys do?
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Beussink v. Woodland wrote:
Charley Pride wrote:
Read my tweets and weep. We're not good enough for NAC, clearly.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Charley Pride wrote:
Charley Pride wrote:
Read my tweets and weep. We're not good enough for NAC, clearly.
Well, you guys might make it at Junior Nationals. And, you can sign up a couple teams for this fine event to help you do it!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

And it's confirmed: we'll be mirroring GSAC! Thanks, Sarah and everyone at Maggie Walker!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Beussink v. Woodland wrote:And it's confirmed: we'll be mirroring GSAC! Thanks, Sarah and everyone at Maggie Walker!
Awesome news. Now hold another tournament mirroring Ben Cooper. Go Brad Go.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

In three hours, we've had numerous teams express interest. Field update in the first post!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

I'd love to play. I will talk to coaches and players who might be interested, if it is allowed. I know at least some Latin students will be willing to make the drive, even after the regular season.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

jdeliverer wrote:I'd love to play. I will talk to coaches and players who might be interested, if it is allowed. I know at least some Latin students will be willing to make the drive, even after the regular season.
Latin's welcome to play, school affiliated or not - I mention this because Coach Bardoe doesn't have an invite yet (this thread excepted). I've sent out emails to the nationals attending teams first, and I'm still compiling the non-attending list.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

jdeliverer wrote:I'd love to play. I will talk to coaches and players who might be interested, if it is allowed. I know at least some Latin students will be willing to make the drive, even after the regular season.
Latin's welcome to play, school affiliated or not - I mention this because Coach Bardoe doesn't have an invite yet (this thread excepted). I've sent out emails to the nationals attending teams first, and I'm still compiling the non-attending list.
Actually, I think we will be attending the HSNCT - we qualified at Kickoffs. We still have to register, though.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

I'm trying to get Carbondale to this tournament. Unfortunately we are unable to add any more trips to our schedule, so it would have to be privately funded and off the record. Also, it's the same weekend as prom, so none of our seniors (except Jeremiah, possibly) want to come. It's not inconceivable that we could field a team of decent sophomores, though.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

OK, another field update. We're already up to 11 teams - I'm thrilled with the interest level so far.

If you're interested in moderating, let me know - you know you want in on this amazing field!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Extinction threshold wrote:
Beussink v. Woodland wrote:And it's confirmed: we'll be mirroring GSAC! Thanks, Sarah and everyone at Maggie Walker!
I'm gonna try to convince Coach Greene to have Auburn host a Ben Cooper mirror. We'd do it to make money, however, so it wouldn't be as cheap as ATROPHY, but it wouldn't be expensive, either.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Charley Pride wrote:
Extinction threshold wrote:
I'm gonna try to convince Coach Greene to have Auburn host a Ben Cooper mirror. We'd do it to make money, however, so it wouldn't be as cheap as ATROPHY, but it wouldn't be expensive, either.
Just remember that 4/10 and 4/17 are probably not good choices. Look to that thread I did earlier for date advice. And yeah, ATROPHY is cheap because NIU doesn't need funds and you guys do.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If you want May 8, claim it in the next few days. May 1 and May 22 look like good choices at this point.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Registration forms went out Monday, so a field update (no new teams, but woohoo confirmations!) If your coach/captain/etc. hasn't confirmed your attendance, badger them to send me an email!

OK, to make a substantive post, it's tourney scheduling theory time. The GSAC set has 12 packets available, so take off 2 for finals and we have 10 rounds to play with. If we have 10 or less teams, scheduling is easy, but I doubt we'll be that low. 12 teams is pretty simple - 2 pools of 6, rebracket to 2 pools of 6. 16 is also OK - 2 pools of 8, rebracket to 4 pools of 4.

It's 14 teams I'm worried about. We can do 2 pools of 7, then I'm thinking rebracket to pools of 6, 4, and 4, where the pool of 6 doesn't rematch their prelim games. That hits 10 rounds well, but I'm wondering which pool - top, middle, bottom - should be the 6 teamer. If it's the top, more teams are "in the championship hunt" but not really because they're (probably) down 2 losses. That's the way I'm leaning, but I'm wondering what you guys think as well.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

4-6-4 sounds more legitimate because its a full RR in the top pool.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

At Earlybird, Donald just did 4-4-4 in the afternoon and sent the bottom two teams home. Not sure how you feel about that. I think 6-4-4 is ideal because more of the really good teams will get to play other really good teams, and this is a nats warm-up after all.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Stained Diviner
Auron

It currently looks like ATROPHY and HSNCT will be the two tournaments we attend from here on out. I encourage other teams to attend Auburn's tournament, the Midwest Championship, and NSC, but for a variety of personal reasons, we probably won't.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Another option with 14 teams is a partial single-pool round robin. The fairest pairings I could come up with are...
Round 1: 1v13, 2v14, 3v8, 4v9, 5v10, 6v11, 7v12
Round 2: 1v12, 2v13, 3v14, 4v8, 5v9, 6v10, 7v11
Round 3: 1v10, 2v11, 3v12, 4v13, 5v14, 6v8, 7v9
Round 4: 1v9, 2v10, 3v11, 4v12, 5v13, 6v14, 7v8
Round 5: 1v8, 2v5, 3v6, 4v7, 9v12, 10v13, 11v14
Round 6: 2v9, 1v7, 3v5, 4v6, 8v14, 10v12, 11v13
Round 7: 3v10, 1v6, 2v7, 4v5, 8v13, 9v14, 11v12
Round 8: 5v12, 1v4, 2v3, 6v7, 8v11, 9v10, 13v14
Round 9: 6v13, 1v3, 2v4, 5v7, 8v10, 9v11, 12v14
Round 10: 7v14, 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 8v9, 10v11, 12v13

You can also do the first four rounds with power matching or stick with your plans above.
David Reinstein
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

OK, field update and we're still looking for some more registrations. We've got a great field already!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Aaron Goldfein
Wakka

Post by Aaron Goldfein »

If the field doesn't change from 8, a full round robin followed by rebracketing into two pools of four would give 10 rounds for every team. Morning records would carry over, of course.
Aaron Goldfein
Niles West ('10)
Carnegie Mellon ('14)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Aaron Goldfein wrote:If the field doesn't change from 8, a full round robin followed by rebracketing into two pools of four would give 10 rounds for every team. Morning records would carry over, of course.
No. If you do RR and then split, you should carry over games involving teams in the same playoff bracket. For example, the 1 v 8 game would not carry over, but 1 v 2 would.
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

Aaron Goldfein wrote:If the field doesn't change from 8, a full round robin followed by rebracketing into two pools of four would give 10 rounds for every team. Morning records would carry over, of course.
It will change from 8, pending approval from the Latin coaches.

You can put my name down for now if you want as a definite -- I will most likely be hearing from the coaches in the next day whether we can go as "Latin", at which point we'll register 'officially'.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

EDIT: Unaware of things
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Exciting news - we're still planning the after-tournament festivities, but we now have a confirmation on lunchtime quizbowl!

Doug Graebner has written a 24-question visual round (a la Eyes That Do Not See), and we'll be running it during the lunch break. It'll be run as an individual free-for-all and will serve as a fundraiser for Team Maryland's NASAT entry fee. The cost will be $2 per player (payable in cash please) and the field is capped at however many buzzers the best buzzer set in attendance can hold. For now, I suppose we'll say 10. If there's insane levels of registration ahead of the tournament, we might be able to set up a second room, but I doubt we can make that happen.

Players will pretty much have to join in on the Jimmy John's lunch order to play in this and eat (unless you're bringing lunch from home, I suppose), so you'll have to bring cash for that. Drinks are on the house.

This post will serve for field updates. Register by posting in this thread, emailing me, or (if there's still room) in person before Round 1 of ATROPHY. When you register, include your lunch order.

Field:
Dan Donohue
Abid Haseeb
Ben Chametzky
Robert Volgman
Jonah Greenthal
Kristin Strey (assuming she gets all her stats done, then she can come out and play)
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I'll play this.
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Assuming we register for ATROPHY, I will play that.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:Assuming we register for ATROPHY, I will win that.
You visarts fiend.
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

I would love to play the visuals set.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

I'll play the arts set too.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

styxman wrote:Doug Graebner has written a 24-question visual round (a la Eyes That Do Not See), and we'll be running it during the lunch break.
I have been informed that this is open to everyone, not just high schoolers, so I'll be everyone's beating bag.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

All right, so right now we're at 12 teams, and I've heard back from everyone. Assuming nobody drops, the field is locked at:

Auburn A
Auburn B
Carbondale
The Dan Donohue Experience
IMSA
Lisle
Loyola
New Trier
Niles West
Oak Park-River Forest
Stevenson

Remember - if you want in on the visual arts packet at lunch, let me know!

ETA: and Auburn is officially in! :party:
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Sorry I never told you this. Buzzers are things I can bring.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

styxman wrote:All right, so right now we're at 12 teams, and I've heard back from everyone. Assuming nobody drops, the field is locked at:

Auburn A
Auburn B
Carbondale
The Dan Donohue Experience
IMSA
Lisle
Loyola
New Trier
Niles West
Oak Park-River Forest
Stevenson

Remember - if you want in on the visual arts packet at lunch, let me know!

ETA: and Auburn is officially in! :party:
Besides the obvious, do we know which (if any) of these teams plan to be playing without their normal lineup?
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

IMSA won't be playing its normal line-up. Both seniors (Bonny and Weili) will be absent, as well as one junior (Jialin). We're basically getting a head start on '10-'11.

We will be bringing Rose, and she has mentioned wanting revenge on her home school OPRF.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Unfortunately, due to our coaches being unavailable due to such reasons and health and trips to Europe, Loyola will have to drop out from this. Fortunately, we have found you a replacement team which for the moment will be called "Dan Donohue is Not an Experience" but might be called something else come tournament time.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Utahraptor wrote:will be called "Dan Donohue is Not an Experience" but will definitely be called something else come tournament time.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Eh, they can call themselves whatever they want. But if possible my team would like a name that is a ShibariCon joke.
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

Dan-Don wrote:Eh, they can call themselves whatever they want. But if possible my team would like a name that is a ShibariCon joke.
Oh god, there can knot be any more jokes possible that weren't made in the Japanese Lit thread.
Last edited by jdeliverer on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Stained Diviner
Auron

Steve and Jules want to play the art round. We'll be pretty much at full strength, except Akhil is at Stanford this weekend.
David Reinstein
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Here's the field for the art round -- still plenty of room.

1. Dan-Don
2. Abid
3. Ben Chametzky
4. Robert
5. Jules
6. Steve
7. Jonah
8. Laird
9. Kristin (assuming stats are finished in time; they will be)
11?.
12?.

If your name isn't Dan-Don and you're not a moderator, you need to give me your Jimmy John's lunch order sometime between now and Saturday and the cash for the order on Saturday.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

styxman wrote:Here's the field for the art round -- still plenty of room.

1. Dan-Don
2. Abid
3. Ben Chametzky
4. Robert
5. Jules
6. Steve
7. Jonah
8. Laird
11?.
12?.
Speaking of this, did you get the powerpoint 2003 version of the art round ok?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Doink the Clown wrote:

1. Dan-Don
2. Abid
3. Ben Chametzky
4. Robert
5. Jules
6. Steve
7. Jonah
8. Laird
11?.
12?.
Yeah I did - sorry, forgot to email you back. Thanks!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

styxman wrote:
Doink the Clown wrote:

1. Dan-Don
2. Abid
3. Ben Chametzky
4. Robert
5. Jules
6. Steve
7. Jonah
8. Laird
11?.
12?.
Yeah I did - sorry, forgot to email you back. Thanks!
Ok, I'll post you the answer doc.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Looks like I'm playing in this art thing now.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016