IHSA Sectionals results and discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Re: IHSA Sectionals results and discussion

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Jacopo Robusti wrote:
Seriously though, Cavs vs. Bulls seems like the way to go on Friday.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

Charley Pride wrote:
CometCoach72 wrote:So...if I don't wind up working any of the rooms on Friday, which match up in pool play would be the best one for me to see from a fan's standpoint, and also from the standpoint of a coach who wants to take observations back to his team to mull over for next year?

As always, I wish all the participants the best and most importantly, travel safe getting there. Friday should be a very fascinating day.
I would tell you to come watch us, but chances are some people will have to stand, as we're expecting a large fan contingent once again. I'll instruct them to be less boisterous than last year.

Watching Auburn is definitely on my "To-Do" list unless Mr. Rathbun has other plans for me on Friday.
Jay Winter
Greenville HS (IL) Scholastic Bowl Coach and Chief UN Translator for Math
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Harley-Davidson owner since 2009
Fan of Good Questions
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

mrgsmath wrote:While I don't have all the specfics, there was bit of controversy concerning the Litchfield / New Berlin match. Not related to either of the two teams specifically, so I don't want people to get the wrong impression as they are both great teams, but it seems the Tournament Manager had a snafu and the wrong round questions were used in one of the first two rounds and so they used a mixed set of replacements and questions from other sources for the round between the two teams. New Berlin will be a great team at State, but Litchfield may have some valid issues with the results if what I heard was true.

Wow.
Jay Winter
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Fan of Good Questions
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

Utahraptor wrote:
Jacopo Robusti wrote:
Seriously though, Cavs vs. Bulls seems like the way to go on Friday.
Shame the Rivermen will not be at home Friday, I prefer hockey anyway.
Jay Winter
Fan of Good Questions
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Post by Matt Bardoe »

Dayo Dankole wrote:IHSA State Predictions:

Class A Pool 1: New Berlin > SJO > Farmington > Fairfield
Class A Pool 2: Lisle > Macomb > Winnebago > Herrin

3rd place: Macomb > SJO ... Macomb can simply put up more points than SJO
1st place: Lisle > New Berlin ... credit to New Berlin, but Lisle is Lisle

Class AA Pool 1: Stevenson > Carbondale > New Trier > Morton (although Carbondale could drop one if they decide to not bring their full team, as they have been wont to do of late)
Class AA Pool 2: Auburn > IMSA > Bradley-Bourbonnais > Hinsdale South (although I don't know much about Hinsdale South, but B-B seems to comport themselves well, so can handle big matches)

3rd place: Carbondale if they bring full roster, IMSA else
1st place: Stevenson* > Auburn
In my opinion, this is pretty much right.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
mrgsmath wrote:While I don't have all the specfics, there was bit of controversy concerning the Litchfield / New Berlin match. Not related to either of the two teams specifically, so I don't want people to get the wrong impression as they are both great teams, but it seems the Tournament Manager had a snafu and the wrong round questions were used in one of the first two rounds and so they used a mixed set of replacements and questions from other sources for the round between the two teams. New Berlin will be a great team at State, but Litchfield may have some valid issues with the results if what I heard was true.
If this is true, then it is truly sad. Litchfield is a team that has put a tremendous amount of work in this year. I don't know Evan and Peter as people at all, but I know that they are great quizbowlers. It would be a shame if their work was even possibly compromised by an error like that. The Litchfield team showed so much class last year at Peoria, and they brought a lot of kids as well. So I hope that they can feel that the questions were at least fair. New Berlin is good too, so it is possible that this was just a straight upset.

---Edited out "Backseat Moderating"
Last edited by Matt Bardoe on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Bardoe
Coach, Latin School of Chicago
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Matt Bardoe wrote:Doesn't Dayo need a signature?
Incidentally, yes; incidentally, that constitutes backseat modding. Don't do it. The board staff will police signatures on their own.

EDIT: well, sort of; his "attach signature" had become unchecked. It's Matt, our computational math supporter from LPHS.
Andrew Watkins
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Am I missing something? Why is Stevenson suddenly a favorite over Auburn? What's their season head-to-head record?
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Siverus Snape wrote:Am I missing something? Why is Stevenson suddenly a favorite over Auburn? What's their season head-to-head record?
Well basically Zach Blumenfeld still has skills at bad quizbowl (he's skilled on good questions too, but slightly less so). And they have a junior named Kevin Malis who study binged over the summer and got really, really good (better than Zach) at quizbowl of all types. And those two have a decent supporting cast. In the likely event that those two teams both make the state championship match, it's gonna be a very, very close game
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

Matt Bardoe wrote:
mrgsmath wrote:it seems the Tournament Manager had a snafu and the wrong round questions were used in one of the first two rounds and so they used a mixed set of replacements and questions from other sources for the round between the two teams. New Berlin will be a great team at State, but Litchfield may have some valid issues
Litchfield is a team that has put a tremendous amount of work in this year. I don't know Evan and Peter as people at all, but I know that they are great quizbowlers. It would be a shame if their work was even possibly compromised by an error like that.
Having competed against Dennis Scobbie, Evan, and Peter the last three years, all of them are class acts. They all deserve a better fate if what Mr. Grant is reporting is confirmed to be true, with no disrespect to Mrs. Woodard and her New Berlin team. Dennis runs a great program and his students represent Litchfield well. I am sad today for Evan, Peter, Anthony, and all the seniors on that team that came back and wanted desparately to win Class A this year. When I reported what happened to my students (the result, not the snafu, because all the facts aren't confirmed yet), my students were completely stunned.
Jay Winter
Fan of Good Questions
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Siverus Snape wrote:Am I missing something? Why is Stevenson suddenly a favorite over Auburn? What's their season head-to-head record?
Head to head results, this year:

HFT: Auburn- 480 Stevenson- 240
NTV: Auburn- 350 Stevenson (without Zach)- 235
Loyburn: Auburn- 460 Stevenson- 340, Auburn- 535 Stevenson- 200
Huskie Bowl/Prison Bowl Mirror: Auburn (without Zahed and Jordan)- 465 Stevenson- 215, Auburn- 305, Stevenson- 300
NAQT State: Auburn- 430 Stevenson- 390
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Jacopo Robusti wrote:

Huskie Bowl/Prison Bowl Mirror: Auburn (without Zahed and Jordan)- 465 Stevenson- 215, Auburn- 305, Stevenson- 300
HA! You fell into a trap there. Those are played on good quizbowl questions and serve no better than Masonic results at forecasting a winner of a potential state matchup. HAHAHA!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

styxman wrote:
Jacopo Robusti wrote:

HA! You fell into a trap there. Those are played on good quizbowl questions and serve no better than Masonic results at forecasting a winner of a potential state matchup. HAHAHA!
Well, yeah. He asked for a head to head, though, so I gave it. I would have said what you said, but that might be perceived as "Well, okay, this is how it was this year and if we lose this is my excuse".
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Jacopo Robusti wrote:
styxman wrote:
Jacopo Robusti wrote:

Well, yeah. He asked for a head to head, though, so I gave it. I would have said what you said, but that might be perceived as "Well, okay, this is how it was this year and if we lose this is my excuse".
That's fine. Just remember -- you don't need to say anything past "It will be played on IHSA format. Between computational math, non- and anti-pyramidal questions, and non-academic questions, what happens on Friday is essentially meaningless in the broader scope of quizbowl. Even in the narrow scope of "'WHO IS IHSA STATE CHAMPIONZ', it's pointless because these games are essentially unpredictable and random. Hinsdale South may as well be favored based on this year's quizbowl results."
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

styxman wrote:
Jacopo Robusti wrote:
styxman wrote:
Jacopo Robusti wrote:

That's fine. Just remember -- you don't need to say anything past "It will be played on IHSA format. Between computational math, non- and anti-pyramidal questions, and non-academic questions, what happens on Friday is essentially meaningless in the broader scope of quizbowl. Even in the narrow scope of "'WHO IS IHSA STATE CHAMPIONZ', it's pointless because these games are essentially unpredictable and random. Hinsdale South may as well be favored based on this year's quizbowl results."
Though it is fair to say that IHSA is closer to good quizbowl than Masonic, albeit barely so. This is only based on the fact there is a modicum of pyramidality in IHSA, while there is no such thing in Masonic.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Charley Pride wrote:
styxman wrote:
Jacopo Robusti wrote:
styxman wrote:
Jacopo Robusti wrote:

Though it is fair to say that IHSA is closer to good quizbowl than Masonic, albeit barely so. This is only based on the fact there is a modicum of pyramidality in IHSA, while there is no such thing in Masonic.
I thought Auburn brought a math guy with them. Shouldn't math actually FAVOR Auburn?
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

I will come back from Ron McGraw's worst nightmare and wear a du-rag and sunglasses, burning down the Peoria Civic Center so that nobody can win.
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

JackGlerum wrote:I will come back from Ron McGraw's worst nightmare and wear a du-rag and sunglasses, burning down the Peoria Civic Center so that nobody can win.
Dude, if I said that, I'd be in jail.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

Today a colleague of mine presented me with an article from the Hillsboro paper that confirms what Mr. Grant has posted above. Direct from the article (no author listed):

"Litchfield had heard the correct round two set, but the round three set of questions had been heard by New Berlin in round two. The...tournament host then put together a set of questions were, unfortunately, were not IHSA consistent format and distribution set.

At the end of the match, the (Litchfield) Panthers were down 340-230. A protest was issued to the IHSA office, but a decision was made on the spot to go with the result of the match as it stood."

Fascinating stuff.
Jay Winter
Fan of Good Questions