Bergen Open Academic Tournament (BOAT) II - 5/8/2010 (NJ)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
narwhal
Lulu

Bergen Open Academic Tournament (BOAT) II - 5/8/2010 (NJ)

Post by narwhal »

The Bergen County Academies quizbowl team is pleased to announce its second annual Bergen Open Academic Tournament, scheduled for May 8th, 2010, which will use questions written by Solon for their Spring Tournament that they are unable to run. As such, BOAT II will be a PACE NSC-style event, which is relatively rare in the area. I, Jay Srinivasan, will serve as tournament director, and any questions, comments, or team registrations can and should be emailed to amudan (dot) srinivasan (at) gmail (dot) com.

We're looking to make this an inexpensive tournament, and so, while prices have not been decided as of yet, I am relatively confident that they will stay within the range of $20-$40. Buzzers and moderators are also appreciated, and we plan to offer a $5 discount for them. Due to room constraints, we will have to cap the field at 24 teams.

The tournament will probably get underway around 8:30am on that Saturday, following a 7:30-8:15 registration period, and we'll have a complimentary breakfast (nothing extravagant, though) set up during registration. We're hoping to guarantee somewhere in the range of 7-10 rounds, and we'll update you on this as the date gets closer. As such, this setup would have us ending around 5-6pm, latest.

You can register by sending me an email (amudan <dot> srinivasan <at> gmail <dot> com) with the number of teams, buzzers, and experienced moderators you will be bringing to the tournament. Also, if you would like a formal invoice, feel free to ask for that in the registration email. I would also appreciate if you could give me a phone number at which I can contact your team on the morning of the tournament. No post on this thread will be considered anything more than an expression of interest.

A final note, a disclaimer of sorts - any cancellations made after you have registered teams must be made before 24 hours of the start time of the tournament, or you risk forfeiting your registration fee. Cancellations must be done by email or by phone (I will send my number to you when I confirm your registrations). A POST ON THIS THREAD WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED A CANCELLATION, as there was a major problem with this when we ran the Dunbar mirror in December (that ended up delaying the tournament start by about an hour).

I think that's about it. Questions/comments are welcome.

Edit: Link to Solon post, changed "within" to "before" to avoid confusion
Last edited by narwhal on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amudan J. "Jay" Srinivasan
Bergen '10 (1st Lt. '09-'10)
Duke '14
Guybo
Wakka

Re: Bergen Open Academic Tournament (BOAT) II - 5/8/2010 (NJ)

Post by Guybo »

Livingston is interested, as I mentioned yesterday. I'll poll students at practice this week.
Guy Rabner
Spanish and Italian teacher
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

narwhal wrote:As such, BOAT II will be a PACE NSC-style event, which is relatively rare in the area.
What does that even mean? The old PACE format that even PACE Nationals isn't using this year, or ever again?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

The PACE format of 20/20 with 20 pt powers, no negs, but bounceback bonuses I'd assume.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

East Brunswick is also interested. We'd be taking two teams. I just have to double check with my advisors.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
Auron

Golran wrote:The PACE format of 20/20 with 20 pt powers, no negs, but bounceback bonuses I'd assume.
But that doesn't mean, like, the 3-part games with the category quiz rounds and stretch phase and stuff?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

No. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7923 third paragraph.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auron

Golran wrote:No. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7923 third paragraph.
Oh, okay, thanks Ian. Makes sense now.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Kellenberg would very much be interested in being on a boat. Probably 2 teams, 3 buzzers and 1 moderator. When we have formal confirmation of our ability to go, Bro. Nigel will send you an email.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

Mr. Chrzanowski - Ian's right. Here are the details that Jasper from Solon posted on format and distribution:
Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote: Questions: The Solon Academic Challenge Team will be writing the questions, with hopefully around 10-12 rounds. There will be powers, no negs, and bouncebacks on bonuses, which means we are mirroring the PACE NSC format. Tossups should be no more than 6 lines long in Times New Roman 10pt. excluding pronunciation guides where needed. Difficulty should be a little higher than regular, because of all of the Regionals/States stuff happening in the weeks after.

Distribution: I'm going to ignore my teammates because they don't have good justification for anything otherwise, but this is what I proposed early in the school year:

4/4 Literature
4/4 History
4/4 Science (includes math, but no calculation tossups)
2/2 Fine Arts
2/2 Religion, Mythology, Philosophy
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Geography
1/1 Current Events
1/1 Pop Culture/General Knowledge/Other
Thanks for all the rapid displays of interest.

Registered (Teams, Buzzers, Moderators)
St. Joe's (1-2,2,1)

Interested (Teams, Buzzers, Moderators):
Livingston (?,?,?)
East Brunswick (2,?,?)
Kellenberg (2,3,1)
Hunter (1,?,?)
State College (?,?,?)
HHHW (?,?,?)

And yes, if you attend our tournament, you will be on a boat! No guarantee that nautical-themed pashmina afghans will be prizes, though.
Last edited by narwhal on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duke '14
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

OK, some breaking news, of sorts...we need some semblance of a field by Sunday, April 18 if we're going to have any hope of running this. There are many things that still have to be taken care of for this tourney, and there's really no point going forward with it if we don't have a serious field.

I apologize for never actually stating the fees - we're going to say $40 for the first team, $30 for subsequent teams, with $5 discounts for buzzers and moderators. Yes, it's cheap. Register with a quick, easy email to amudan (dot) srinivasan (at) gmail (dot) com, stating the number of teams, mods, buzzers, and whether you'd like an invoice or not. You can also contact me at that email address with questions, or post them on this thread.

I understand this tournament falls in the middle of AP test season. Believe me, I wish there was a different day that we could hold this. However, due to restrictions from our administration, we can't hold the tourney on either the 1st or the 15th, and CAT IV is on the 22nd. If it's any help, we're willing to work with you if your students have to get home early to study for the tests.

So, as I stated above, there will be no tournament unless I can see a field developing by next SUNDAY, APRIL 18. I hope we will not have to cancel - I'm looking forward to running this tournament and I hope you're looking forward to a late-season chance to play NSC-style games.
Duke '14
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

State College is quite possibly interested
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter will probably send at least one team to this.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

A quick update:

St. Joe's (1-2,2,1)
Kellenberg (2,3,1)
Total: (3-4,5,2)

Livingston (?,?,?)
East Brunswick (2,?,?)
Hunter (1,?,?)
State College (?,?,?)
HHHW (?,?,?)

If I assumed that each interested school will be sending one team (or the number they indicated as likely), we end up with a total of 9-10 teams.

While this is technically enough to run a tournament with, it would really be great if we had more. I just need to know by Sunday night (4/18/10), since I'd need to submit attendance info and room requests on Monday. You can register with a simple email.
Duke '14
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jay,

Saint Joe's will bring ONE team to BOAT. I can still bring TWO buzzers if you wish. Let me know.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

St. Joe's (1,2,1)
Kellenberg (2,3,1)
Hunter (2,2,1)
Total: (5,7,3)

We're currently looking at a field of 5 teams, and a decent amount of interest, so I'll continue to organize this tournament. Please continue to submit registrations if you have not already - while I will run the tournament, I'd really love to not have to do it with only 5 teams.

Mr. Powers - Currently, we don't need both buzzers - but, if more teams register, there's a good chance we will. If it's not too much of a problem, could you bring both buzzer sets? Thanks.

Edit: HHHW, Livingston, East Brunswick will not be sending teams. Neither will State College.
Last edited by narwhal on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Duke '14
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

No problem---I'll be sure to bring both sets of buzzers.

EDIT: And if I can work out transportation problems, I might still be able to bring a B team, but for now I'll leave it at one & change it later if I can and, of course, if you will allow it later.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

Mr. Powers: Yeah, another team certainly wouldn't be a problem.

Also, if anyone needs an invoice, either tell me with your registration, or (if you've already registered) send me another email requesting one.
Duke '14
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

Due to the inability of the interested schools to field teams, this tournament is once again circling the drain.

If a true field doesn't really materialize by this Friday, April 30, then we're probably going to have to call off the tournament.

(If this does end up happening, but the already-registered teams are still interested in playing this set, I have one or two other options in mind. But that's really the worst-case scenario.)
Duke '14
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

Registration has concluded, and the tournament is still running, in a way. Details have been explained to all registered parties.
Duke '14
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Field update? You told me there were going to be 7 teams in attendance plus a house team.
Just curious. I already sent the questions, so that's not a reason I'm posting. :lol:
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:Field update? You told me there were going to be 7 teams in attendance plus a house team.
Just curious. I already sent the questions, so that's not a reason I'm posting. :lol:
Bergen A½
Hunter A, B, C
Kellenberg A, B
St. Joseph A, B

Format will be full round-robin plus advantage series for 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th, guaranteeing all 8 games.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

1st Place: Hunter A
2nd Place: St. Joe's A
3rd Place: Kellenberg A
4th place: Hunter C
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Congratulations to Hunter on defending their BOAT championship, defeating St. Joseph 420-70 in a final between two teams who were probably closer matched through the day than that score suggests.

Quick Results

Code: Select all

Team Rec Finals
HC-A 7-0 420
SJ-A 6-1  70

Kell 5-2 350
HC-C 4-3 280

HC-B 2-5 230 260
Berg 3-4 100 200

SJ-B 1-6  80
Mix  0-7  60
Bergen house team wound up being essentially their B team. Hybrid was a mix of Kellenberg-B and extra Bergen players.

Top individual players: Lily (Hunter-A) and Zihan (Hunter-C) each had 102/gm. I believe Lily's 21 were the most powers. Stats will either be up this weekend or Monday. A quick spreadsheet suggests that Hunter-A had 21.25/b and 51% stealing while SJ-A had 20.94/b and 55% stealing.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Full stats can now be found at http://results.scobo.net/BergenCountyAcademies , as can stats for the other tournaments we've hosted (BOAT '09, NJ '09, DAFT mirror '09). And the stats for the ACF Fall @ Mizzou I ran. Just because this way, I can get them posted and off of ad-sponsored space.

Any corrections should be sent to me, as I've got all the scoresheets to check your corrections against.
Jon Pinyan

Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Any comments on the question set would be gladly appreciated. Question-specific comments should go to [email protected].

Edited to remove comments that were due to a misread of stats.
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Here's the scoresheet from the final.

[EDIT] Corrected to add no-penalty wrong answers. Also to put onto my auto-formatting scoresheet.
Attachments
Final.pdf
(60.38 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Last edited by jonpin on Mon May 10, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jon Pinyan

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

The final was the worst match my team played all year, bar none. We negged 6 times ourselves ( the scoresheet does not show where), and I believe Hunter, who played well but not up to its highest standards, also missed 5 or 6 questions itself---so in theory we had 11 or 12 opportunities to score, yet only hit one tossup. Prior to this match, we had been averaging 13 or 14 toss ups and 450+ points per match, and had earlier lost a great match to Hunter on the last question---Hunter led 360-330 going into toss-up 20, so in theory it was still anyone's match. To Hunter's credit, it powered the final question and hit 2 of 3 bonuses, while we stole the 3rd, for a final score of 400-340. So, the 420-70 was a real letdown---not only for us, but I think for Hunter as well, who probably was hoping for a greater challenge. Still, we are happy to have it out of our system before nationals. Further, everyone who knows Hunter knows they can embarrass you in any match they play. My guess is had they been more in form themselves, they could have matched our worst shellacking of the year, to State College, which was something like 620-70. I am sure most reading this post have suffered games similar to this---but one toss-up? And on the last question???? Ughhhhhhh.........

Anyway, it is what it is, and we congratulate Hunter for another excellent tournament run.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Mon May 10, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

EDIT: Cut due to a duplication of the above message.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Edward Powers wrote:The final was the worst match my team played all year, bar none. We negged 6 times ourselves ( the scoresheet does not show where), and I believe Hunter, who played well but not up to its highest standards, also missed 5 or 6 questions itself---so in theory we had 11 or 12 opportunities to score, yet only hit one tossup.
Don't worry too much about not being able to answer some of the tossups; some of them were on questionable answer choices that would be nearly incredible for any high school-er to even answer.
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Coach Powers:

At the 2010 ICT, I played on a pretty solid Minnesota B team that finished 16th at the tournament. In our final game of the day, we played Chicago B. Prior to this game, we had scored 100 points in every match, even against Brown and Toronto. Chicago B had an identical record to us in the playoffs. During the game, they absolutely destroyed us, winning 465-10--I managed to answer the last tossup and prevent the shutout, and then we 0'ed the bonus. Chicago B is obviously a fine team, but that score is probably a little bit wacky. Things like this sadly happen every once in a while.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Mike & Jasper,

Thanks for your friendly words. Knowing that others have survived a similar experience places such a deflating experience in perspective, and I am sure my students will appreciate the insights and the kindnesses you have displayed here. I certainly do. And the upside always is that tomorrow IS another day, and my kids are pretty resilient, as all in quizbowl must be.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Has the set peen publicly released yet? If not, I would like to acquire the rights to mirror this tournament.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Morraine Man wrote:Has the set peen publicly released yet? If not, I would like to acquire the rights to mirror this tournament.
In the mirroring/collaborating for tournaments thread in the discussion section, it appears that this set is still open for mirroring.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
GBRodgers12
Wakka

Post by GBRodgers12 »

quantumfootball wrote:
Morraine Man wrote:Has the set peen publicly released yet? If not, I would like to acquire the rights to mirror this tournament.
In the mirroring/collaborating for tournaments thread in the discussion section, it appears that this set is still open for mirroring.
Yes, that is correct. Jasper is still looking for teams to mirror this tournament, and he is also going to have someone running it next year in Ohio.
Joe Czupryn
Ohio Academic Competition Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08