Fond Farewell II

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
David Riley
Auron

Fond Farewell II

Post by David Riley »

With the end of our (ahem) regular season coming to a close, it is once again time to say a fond formal farewell to our seniors. Feel free to add comments or to add anyone I’ve missed (sorry!):

Dan Donohue

Unable to reconcile differences with his team, Dan struck out on his own, playing solo or with “rogue” teams where he could. While I don’t think he saw himself as a crusader, he inadvertently opened the door for others to do likewise. Northwestern is getting a dedicated addition to their team next year!

Zahed Haseeb

With the departure of Siva Sundaram and Michael Jiang, Zahed had some big shoes to fill. He did so admirably, continuing to lead his team as arguably the best in the state.

Steve Server

When everyone was willing to write off New Trier, Steve showed that he could lead his team and make a comeback.

Robert Volgman

Robert worked with his coach on behalf of his team to attend more good quizbowl tournaments.

Julia Wang

When Julia was a sophomore, she made then-junior Jack Glerum nervous with her knowledge of literature. Part of an always outstanding team.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Re: Fond Farewell II

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

David Riley wrote: add anyone I’ve missed (sorry!):
B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-Bonny Jainnnnnnnnnn
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Evan Daigle and Peter York from Litchfield. Correct me if i'm wrong that Peter is a senior too.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

In a tempestuous subforum of people defending the IHSA state series, writing industrial arts tossups, and arguing against negs, this made me smile. Thanks.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Utahraptor wrote:B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-Bonny Jainnnnnnnnnn
^ This.

By no fault of his own, he lost time not having a team that could support him. At least he got to taste some victory this year. I wish I could have had one more year with him so he could lead IMSA's charge to nationals ( :chip: "Junior Nationals") in 2010-2011.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

He was never particularly dominant, nor did he ever put up huge numbers, but I think Jordan Hoffmann of Auburn deserves to be mentioned. A lack of aggressiveness may have hindered him from showing his deep, deep knowledge in science at times, but he brought crucial knowledge to the team, and primarily showed his worth on bonuses. He also came up with some huge buzzes this year (see: getting the game-winning [and ultimately crucial to winning the championship] buzz against Stevenson at NAQT State).
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Jacopo Robusti wrote:He was never particularly dominant, nor did he ever put up huge numbers, but I think Jordan Hoffmann of Auburn deserves to be mentioned. A lack of aggressiveness may have hindered him from showing his deep, deep knowledge in science at times, but he brought crucial knowledge to the team, and primarily showed his worth on bonuses. He also came up with some huge buzzes this year (see: getting the game-winning [and ultimately crucial to winning the championship] buzz against Stevenson at NAQT State).
I echo this wholeheartedly.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Agreed...Jordan was definitely an oersight. As for Bonny, I haven't seen him play since his spphomore year, so I have nothing to go on.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

David Riley wrote:she made then-junior Jack Glerum nervous with her knowledge of literature
LIES
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Don't sell your own guys short Mr. Riley.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

Edward Elric wrote:Evan Daigle and Peter York from Litchfield. Correct me if i'm wrong that Peter is a senior too.

Correct on both counts. They are the reason why Greenville is 0-for-Winter's coaching career against Litchfield. As much as they have beaten us, I'm sad to see them go because they are both class kids and I truly enjoyed rooting for their success.

I echo the sentiments from everyone on all of the players named so far in this thread, especially those players I've gotten to know just a bit whether at Team Illinois tryouts, my time at State Finals the last two years, or through this thread.

I'm hopeful some will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd also like to include: Carbondale's Jeremiah Monk, PORTA's Justin Brooks, Tuscola's Chris Adams, and Belleville Althoff's Gabe Orlet. All of these young men are fantastic players and also class acts. If I could correctly identify the seniors on Chatham Glenwood's team by name I would do so here, because they also fall into that category. I'm sure there are so many others from Central and Southern IL that I am not able to name right now.

Please forgive me tooting our team's horn here, but...

My seniors would never get mentioned otherwise, because they just didn't put up the numbers like the aforementioned players from any of those teams, but all of them gave me everything they had and then some. When we bowed out of the IHSA tournament and I thanked each of my players, it was a very emotional moment for me when I had to thank Sean, Jimmy, Curt, and Casey for all their contributions. They helped turn a team with a losing record into a team with a winning record.

Thanks for tolerating the horn-tooting, and all my best to the Class of 2010 no matter the school from which you are graduating.
Jay Winter
Greenville HS (IL) Scholastic Bowl Coach and Chief UN Translator for Math
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Harley-Davidson owner since 2009
Fan of Good Questions
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Jane Fairfax wrote:Don't sell your own guys short Mr. Riley.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

Thanks, Mr. Riley. And thanks to everyone on this forum that has helped me this year. It's been a lot of fun to try and keep up with all the rest of you competitively, but more importantly I hope I've helped Latin become part of the world of good quizbowl. From our conversations, I think Dr. Bardoe is definitely interested in almost exclusively good tournaments.

A few people I want to recognize:

The other Latin seniors, many of whom really loved the game, even if they didn't ever post on these forums. They always made tournaments more fun.

Siva Sundaram, when I asked him a simple question about preparing for NT solo, he replied with a wealth of helpful information that revolutionized the way I thought about quiz bowl. It led to my first introduction to good questions.

Dan Donohue, who as Mr. Riley said acted as an inspiration to go out and get to more tournaments, and show that high school students can get things done.

And of course, Dr. Bardoe. Without his incessant bugging 4 years ago, I would have never joined scholastic bowl and would have missed out on one of the best activities I've had in high school.

Thanks, everyone! Although, I'm sure I'll still see many of you in the next few months up until nationals, it's really been an awesome year. I'll miss it all next year.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10