Superpowers?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
SoLegit12
Wakka
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Superpowers?

Post by SoLegit12 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:23 pm

What does the general quiz bowl community think of superpowers in a slightly-above regular difficulty high school tournament?
We are considering using them for our independent tournament.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
***
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
nneuteufel@gmail.com

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Superpowers?

Post by Scott » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 pm

I would enjoy them, as would our 3 teams we plan on bringing.
Make them 20 points and very early though.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Coach K
Wakka
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Danville, KY
Contact:

Re: Superpowers?

Post by Coach K » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:02 pm

When's this tournament, Nick?
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Superpowers?

Post by Scott » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 pm

He told me it would likely be in September.
Also, Grayson is planning on hosting a spring tournament next year.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
Coach K
Wakka
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Danville, KY
Contact:

Re: Superpowers?

Post by Coach K » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Ok cool. I know we're planning on hosting our fall tournament again in September. Probably the 2nd weekend of the month like this year.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School

User avatar
ryandillon
Wakka
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Detroit

Re: Superpowers?

Post by ryandillon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Or powers 20 superpowers 25 :)
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015

User avatar
Scott
Rikku
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Leitchfield KY

Re: Superpowers?

Post by Scott » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 pm

That would be nice. :smile:
I hate it that so many tournaments are moving away from powers.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16

User avatar
ryandillon
Wakka
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Detroit

Re: Superpowers?

Post by ryandillon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:53 pm

grayson77 wrote:That would be nice. :smile:
I hate it that so many tournaments are moving away from powers.
I agree. But if it's just 15 points I don't concern myself playing for power. You win on the bonus conversion anyways. 20 point powers rock though.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015

User avatar
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:14 pm
Location: MD

Re: Superpowers?

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:10 pm

SoLegit12 wrote:What does the general quiz bowl community think of superpowers in a slightly-above regular difficulty high school tournament?
We are considering using them for our independent tournament.
Listen, using superpowers, be they given by nuclear waste or otherwise, are completely not appropriate at high school tournament. I remember playing against a guy who could freeze time when I was a sophomore, and I had a sneaking suspicion he kept looking at the questions.
In college, though, I guess they're okay.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again

User avatar
Joe Romersa
Rikku
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Superpowers?

Post by Joe Romersa » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Isaacbh wrote:
SoLegit12 wrote:What does the general quiz bowl community think of superpowers in a slightly-above regular difficulty high school tournament?
We are considering using them for our independent tournament.
Listen, using superpowers, be they given by nuclear waste or otherwise, are completely not appropriate at high school tournament. I remember playing against a guy who could freeze time when I was a sophomore, and I had a sneaking suspicion he kept looking at the questions.
In college, though, I guess they're okay.
what happened to not using your powers for selfish purposes?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so

Locked