Bracketing help 4/17 help me decide Michigan NAQT states

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Bracketing help 4/17 help me decide Michigan NAQT states

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

1st thing, I know the teams well enough, all of them have stats I can find minus Kent City.

Option 1:
3 divisions
8-6-6 teams each. Play 5 rounds (full round robin for 2 of the divisions). Rebracket into 6-6-8. The championship and first consolation bracket will be the 6 team divisions. Final follows the 10th round.

Option 2:
2 divisions
10-10. Play 7 rounds within your division (not a full round robin). Rebracket into 5 divisions of 4, and play 3 rounds. Final follows 10th round.

Option 3:
Play 7 random matches (no real divisions). Rebracket into 5 divisions of 4, and play 3 rounds. Final follows 10th round.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Re: Bracketing help 4/17 help me decide Michigan NAQT states

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Assuming that you're trying to keep this to 10 rounds (not including finals), why not just do 5-5-5-5 and rebracket? 8 guaranteed games isn't optimal, but you could offer inter-bracket exhibition games if teams wanted.

There may be a better option that involves avoiding playoff rematches, but it's not quite coming to me right now.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Atlee Hammaker wrote:Assuming that you're trying to keep this to 10 rounds (not including finals), why not just do 5-5-5-5 and rebracket? 8 guaranteed games isn't optimal, but you could offer inter-bracket exhibition games if teams wanted.

There may be a better option that involves avoiding playoff rematches, but it's not quite coming to me right now.
I could do that. Would you count inter-division matches in playoff seeding?
Nalin
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

nalin wrote:
Atlee Hammaker wrote:Assuming that you're trying to keep this to 10 rounds (not including finals), why not just do 5-5-5-5 and rebracket? 8 guaranteed games isn't optimal, but you could offer inter-bracket exhibition games if teams wanted.

I would not, myself.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

What about prelim brackets of 5/5/5/5, then playoffs of 8/6/6 (full RR)? This way the top 2 teams from each prelim bracket are still in contention (this is nice for anyone who randomly has a bad game in the prelims, and gives you a buffer for any prelim bracketing glitches). You are done within 12 rounds, which is still pretty fast with timed rounds. Everyone gets at least 9 games, with the top teams getting 11. Each team also has only 1 bye the whole day, instead of 2.

I would also advise against counting inter-bracket matches for playoff seeding, if you do end up going that route.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

nalin wrote:

They'd be for exhibition purposes, so probably not.

And if you rebracket into 5-5-5-5, how do you decide the fifth team in the top bracket?

(The other option that comes to mind is 5-5-5-5, rebracket to 8-8-4, which allows one to avoid playoff rematches but does extend the tournament to 11 rounds, not including finals, and only guarantees 10 games to teams that make the top two brackets, unless you think that bottom-bracket teams will sit through a double round-robin.)
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

7/7/6, splitting by 2/2/"3". top two brackets play 4 games, bottom plays whatever incomplete RR you want (or even a complete one if you keep playing into the timeframe of finals). Finals follow round 11 if I can still do math.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

For 5/5/5/5 then 8/6/6, you could also skip rematches for only the top bracket, which similarly cuts things down to 11 rounds total, and still guarantees the bottom bracket teams 9 games (assuming they do have rematches).

8/8/4 also works pretty well; I have no idea if the bottom bracket teams are more likely to want more games, or want to go home.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

sds wrote:For 5/5/5/5 then 8/6/6, you could also skip rematches for only the top bracket, which similarly cuts things down to 11 rounds total, and still guarantees the bottom bracket teams 9 games (assuming they do have rematches).
Yeah; if you're fine with having an extra round (which shouldn't be a problem packetwise for IS-95), this system would be significantly better.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

sds wrote:For 5/5/5/5 then 8/6/6, you could also skip rematches for only the top bracket, which similarly cuts things down to 11 rounds total, and still guarantees the bottom bracket teams 9 games (assuming they do have rematches).
This has worked very well so far. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Nalin