Hilltopper Invitational (10/23/2010)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Hilltopper Invitational (10/23/2010)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

As mentioned up thread, the champion of the first ever Hilltopper Invitational was Ezell Harding A, with Dunbars A, B, and C taking spots 2-4. Ezell Harding A, Dunbar A, and Dunbar B ended up in a three way tie after the playoff bracket, and the tie was broken by points per bonus. Ideally we'd liked to have an advanted final also, but a few things prevented that from being possible. We should have a full order of finish up within the week, and we'll send off all the scoresheets to NAQT and they will determine the qualfication spots for nationals. Also, the highest individual scorer at this tournament was Idrees from Dunbar B, who put up 160.71 PPG.

Anyway, I'd like to thank everybody who came to the Hilltopper Invitational. I hope you enjoyed your trip, and we hope that you'll come back in the future. Hopefully next time the parking situation will be a lot better, and hopefully we'll all learn from our experiences today and run things more smoothly next time. I'd also like to apologize for the packet mix-up in the 6th round, which basically caused the entire tournament to be halted for a short time and two packets of questions end up gettting thrown out. This was caused by various mistakes on our end, and I personally apologize for not properly explaining this issue at the time. There's still a few things wonky with the stats, but we'll work with it and get it worked out. One issue that will be difficult will be determining the correct number of games played and tossups heard for players on teams that substituted a lot. A lot of our staffers didn't note too well how many tossups were heard and when substitutions were made. This falls on me for not having prepared them on that well enough, and we will try not to repeat that mistake next time we host an event.

I think things went well overall, with us running 10 rounds and getting out by 5:30 PM. The coaches, students, and parents were all very respectful and fun to work with, and we thank you once again for coming. I'd also like to thank the following people from within the WKU Academic Competition Club: Brian Riddle, Shawna Felkins, Cole Phelps, Tommy Graven, Chris Fields. I'd definitely like to thank non-club volunteers, including Douglas Hurt, Evan, Jake Moore, and Jessica, as well as people who drove in from other places: Addison Alexander, Emaline Maxfield, and Jason Martin. We were also particuarly grateful to Woodford County for bringing two staffers, and to Richard Searles of Madisonville-North Hopkins for stepping in and scorekeeping.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments on this year's Hilltopper Invitational, please e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks for attending, and we hope to see you all back at any future events we host at WKU!
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Kahloon
Lulu

Post by Kahloon »

For Dunbar B, I and Michael stayed in the entire time. All of the other individuals on the teams played half a game each time.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Kahloon wrote:For Dunbar B, I and Michael stayed in the entire time. All of the other individuals on the teams played half a game each time.
Why were you on B?
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Brian_ECHS
Lulu

Post by Brian_ECHS »

Brian Riddle
Edmonson County High School '09
Western Kentucky University
Edmonson County High School Assistant Coach
maged
Lulu

Post by maged »

Did schools receive the set after the tournament ended?
Maged Saeed
University of Kentucky '15
Ballard '11
Brian_ECHS
Lulu

Post by Brian_ECHS »

maged wrote:Did schools receive the set after the tournament ended?
Yes. Teams that asked for the set received a copy.
Brian Riddle
Edmonson County High School '09
Western Kentucky University
Edmonson County High School Assistant Coach
maged
Lulu

Post by maged »

Any possibility you could send the set to us?
Maged Saeed
University of Kentucky '15
Ballard '11
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

maged wrote:Any possibility you could send the set to us?
I think so. I'll send you an e-mail later this week once I get a copy of the set together, and we'll talk about where to send it and everything.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

maged wrote:Any possibility you could send the set to us?
FYI, NAQT forbids copies being sent electronically.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I would like to make a note of one thing:

Adair County B left after the prelims, thus forfeiting the rest of their matches. They did not actually lose by hundreds of points to each of the teams of their pool, as the stats indicate. However I did tell teams they could play the packet when another team forfeited, and the SQBS stats we've posted on the forum will stay the same as to record the performances of the teams and players in those games. However, when we send all the records off to NAQT we will indeed indicate that Adair B fofeited and the NAQT stats will reflect that. I apologize for any problems this may have caused.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Final stats are up via NAQT:

http://naqt.com/stats/tournament-teams. ... playoffs=1

The top 3 finishers (Ezell Harding A, Dunbar A, and Dunbar B) qualified for HSNCT, while I've been informed by PACE that the top 2 qualified for NSC.
Nicholas C
KQBA member