ITT I sort of live blog an IESA sectional....

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

ITT I sort of live blog an IESA sectional....

Post by the return of AHAN »

Quote of the Day:
Mike Laudermith: "I learn more about agriculture from these questions than from IHSA."
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: ITT I sort of live blog an IESA sectional....

OUCH! Marlowe's first bonus is unanswerable glacier question that gets double-bageled.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
the return of AHAN
Auron

5 part fine arts bonus....on... wait for it.... CHRISTMAS SONGS
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

3 bonuses left...Aptakisic 225, Marlowe 209
Jeff Price
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I'll not have you criticize my Homestead Act tossup, Mr. Laudermith!
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
the return of AHAN
Auron

5 part bonus on #19 on computer domain names.... swept by Aptakisic to take a commanding lead with 1 bonus to go....
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Finals from round 1: Aptakisic (unseeded) 286, Marlowe (#3) 234
Daniel Wright (#2) 301, Hawthorn South (#7) 186
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

For the 2nd match in a row, a team in our room has asked for illegal communication to be called, even though it was for just glancing at a teammates paper during the reading of a bonus question. Fortunately, the current rule says it must be to gain an advantage. And that's totally Mr. Laudermith's discretion, thank god.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

halftime score of the Hawthorn South-Marlowe game, 219-146 Marlowe is up.

EDIT: This game ended Marlowe 293, Hawthorn South 218.
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Mon May 03, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Daniel Wright beats Aptakisic, 309-144.

FWIW, Palmer describes them as unstoppable.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

After 10 TU in round 3, it's Daniel Wright 134, LITH Marlowe, 104...
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Daniel Wright gets 4 of the last 5 TU of the half ... a Geometry computation of a proportion, where he didn't even wait for the question, New England Patriots, spell "Plague", and inertia...

Daniel Wright 234, Marlowe 146, with 6 bonuses remaining.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

That's it. It's over. It's all over.

Referee Mike Laudermith steps in after the 18th Toss-Up and steers yet another battered team out of the path of Daniel Wright JHS, 302-164.

Wright moves on to the State Finals where they can't be described as anything other than a favorite to win it. They crush computation, geography, civics, general knowledge,... little gets past them. Only a TU on Louis Sullivan went dead in this match, and that was after a Marlowe player buzzed with Frank Lloyd Wright, right after Prairie School and just before he was mentioned.

Buffalo Grove Aptakisic defeated Hawthorn South, 265-224, to claim the runner-up ribbons.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

The meta-hsquizbowl.org moment of the day... I crack up Mr. Laudermith at a break in match 2 by showing him Jonah's response to the agriculture comment. :grin:
Jeff Price
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

meta-hsquizbowl.org moment of the night...I went to a Daniel Wright concert, and they played a song from Twilight.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Westwon wrote:meta-hsquizbowl.org moment of the night...I went to a Daniel Wright concert, and they played a song from Twilight.
WAIT, your kids go to Daniel Wright? I thought you were in Aptakisic-Tripp 102...
Jeff Price
Stained Diviner
Auron

My oldest is a 5th grader at Wright. We are in the tiny sliver of Buffalo Grove in District 103--the house behind ours is 102.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

Ottawa Wallace wins the Sterling St. Mary's sectional. Millburn West players claimed they had a moderator at the Barrington Invitational who looked exactly like me. Millburn West captain annoyed me by trying to buzz in on bonuses. Eventually she just resorted to screaming "buzz". Wallace parents were upset when I won't call the other team for illegal communication, though the communication was not used to gain an advantage and therefore perfectly legal. Wallace's coach couldn't understand why I wouldn't accept "gelatinous maximum" for gluteus maximus and insisted I should have asked the player to spell his answer. Despite the late start and a random dinner break, I managed to make it home earlier than expected.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
the return of AHAN
Auron

Stephen Colbert wrote:Ottawa Wallace wins the Sterling St. Mary's sectional. Millburn West players claimed they had a moderator at the Barrington Invitational who looked exactly like me. Millburn West captain annoyed me by trying to buzz in on bonuses. Eventually she just resorted to screaming "buzz". Wallace parents were upset when I won't call the other team for illegal communication, though the communication was not used to gain an advantage and therefore perfectly legal. Wallace's coach couldn't understand why I wouldn't accept "gelatinous maximum" for gluteus maximus and insisted I should have asked the player to spell his answer. Despite the late start and a random dinner break, I managed to make it home earlier than expected.
On more than one occassion, the Slammer Systems paddles were inadvertently pressed, causing people, including Mr. Laudermith, to think that time had been called. It was enough of an issue that I may ask the AdCo to address it in the rules, to make it a clear verbal declaration if you wish to end conferring early.

And with regard to the 2nd time the aforementioned coach approached me to complain about me not paying attention and helping the moderator... Same issue. If a kid is glancing at what another kid is writing, jeez, can we police whether that is gaining an advantage? I was very disapppointed that she said, "I drilled it into my kids that YOU'D be strict on the enforcement of those communcation rules and they KNOW not to look around during a bonus." I wanted to say, "Do you know me at all?" But settled for something along the lines of, "I'd like to see the match settled by which team knows more."

EDIT: continued the narrative
Jeff Price
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

Moving Day wrote:On more than one occassion, the Slammer Systems paddles were inadvertently pressed, causing people, including Mr. Laudermith, to think that time had been called. It was enough of an issue that I may ask the AdCo to address it in the rules, to make it a clear verbal declaration if you wish to end conferring early.
I guess I really don't have a problem if teams want to do this, but I usually hit the bonus switch after a correctly answered tossup, making it impossible to buzz. One team invariably ends up confused, especially because it isn't really common practice in most of Illinois. I suggested saying "time" or "ready to answer" and it was basically a non-issue after a few tossup/bonus cycles. At this point, I thought Millburn West was going to win the sectional (there were some questionable coaching decisions during the match against Wallace, including not playing many starters until almost halftime) and I thought they should probably get in the habit of calling "time" the before state tournament.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
Stained Diviner
Auron

This reminds me of the time that an opposing coach approached me after a match to warn me that my kids were not putting their pencils down when the Moderator said Pencils Down and that, though he decided to be lenient and not protest anything during the match, my students would be penalized if they ever went to State and did that. I told him that my students had gone to State the previous year, had not put down their pencils, and had not been penalized. For some reason, there are rumors that Moderators in the state tournament penalize students at every opportunity, which fortunately is not the case but which leads to a lot of penalties being called during the year by people who think they are teaching the students a valuable lesson.
David Reinstein