NAC schedule/discussion 2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
scquizbowl
Wakka

NAC schedule/discussion 2010

Post by scquizbowl »

In the last day or so, they have printed the schedules for two of the three NAC national tournaments. New Orleans (at Loyola) will be held May 29-31, followed by Washington (at Marymount University), June 4-6, and Chicago (at the Sheraton Four Points at O'Hare), June 12-14. James Island will be doing the JV at Washington, because we are a very young team.

Here is the New Orleans schedule:

http://www.qunlimited.com/nosche10.htm

Washington:

http://www.qunlimited.com/wasched10.htm
Joe
James Island '10
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: NAC schedule/discussion 2010

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Please stop going to this tournament and pretending that its results matter at all. James Island really could be a decent "good quizbowl" team if you ignored these :chip: events.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure no one here cares all that much about NAC at this point.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

In the MS levels, I'm interested in hearing what Coach Huang thinks of the competition at DC's "nationals" relative to our tournament, which was held with the CMST set of questions. I know Longfellow will crush the field, irrespective of the kinds of questions asked, unless there's, say, a "geography of your opponent's hometown" distribution.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

The only reason we're going is to give more experience for the younger players we're bringing (2 freshmen and a sophomore). The JV we're in only has 7 teams.
Joe
James Island '10
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

That sounds like the worst imaginable way to have an experience. I would probably rather experience my house being burned down.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

scquizbowl wrote:The only reason we're going is to give more experience for the younger players we're bringing (2 freshmen and a sophomore). The JV we're in only has 7 teams.
Anyone who actually believes this, raise your hand.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Yeah, couldn't they get more quizbowl experience at... a quizbowl tournament?
Andrew Watkins
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Why not bring them to the NSC? We're looking for standby teams, and still have slots open.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I certainly hope the "Wilson" that I see on the Washington schedule isn't the same Wilson SHS that has come to several tournaments in our area and done reasonably well. I can't imagine that this would be fun for them; even though they're probably the most skilled quizbowl team at the Washington site, they'd probably still do badly and end up frustrated due to the hosetasticness.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

RyuAqua wrote:I certainly hope the "Wilson" that I see on the Washington schedule isn't the same Wilson SHS that has come to several tournaments in our area and done reasonably well. I can't imagine that this would be fun for them; even though they're probably the most skilled quizbowl team at the Washington site, they'd probably still do badly and end up frustrated due to the hosetasticness.
Their coach posts here and seems to have more sense than that (see this post and this one, for example).
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I asked last year when I saw a Wilson. He said it wasn't them.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

RyuAqua wrote:I certainly hope the "Wilson" that I see on the Washington schedule isn't the same Wilson SHS that has come to several tournaments in our area and done reasonably well. I can't imagine that this would be fun for them; even though they're probably the most skilled quizbowl team at the Washington site, they'd probably still do badly and end up frustrated due to the hosetasticness.
It's the one from South Carolina. I wanted them to go to Chicago for the HSNCT instead, but apparently they couldn't afford it. It's a shame, really.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:I would probably rather experience my house being burned down.
Future :chip: question: "Charlie Dees is like Anne Bradstreet. Why?"
Nicholas C
KQBA member
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

Hilltopper22 wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:I would probably rather experience my house being burned down.
Future :chip: question: "Charlie Dees is like Anne Bradstreet. Why?"
They both end in a double e followed by a consonant?

ITS A HOSE
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
wilsonmathteacher
Lulu

Post by wilsonmathteacher »

Matt,

I think reasonably well is a bit of an overstatement but I appreciate the thought. That Wilson is not us, at least as far as I know. The picture :chip: alone scares me, I can't imagine what the real thing is like.

That said, I fear the day that my principal hears about this and tells me I am going :smile:
Jeremy Singer
Coach, Woodrow Wilson HS Quiz Bowl Team
"Pushing towards being competitive.... very slowly"
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Mr. Singer,

Check your Verizon email when you have a chance. Thanks!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Here is the Chicago schedule:

http://www.qunlimited.com/chsched10.htm

New Orleans starts tomorrow.
Joe
James Island '10
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

RE: Chicago schedule...
Who ARE these schools? Is El Paso the one north of Bloomington, IL? There is a LaGrange is Illinois, but I've never heard of a middle school there playing scholastic bowl of any type.
I see some schools that appear to be IL schools, such as Fairfield, Plano (?), North Boone, and El Paso(?), but they'd all be pretty small schools.... Maybe they attend this b/c they feel this gives them a shot (whereas HSNCT would be pretty hopeless)?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Who cares?
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Moving Day wrote:In the MS levels, I'm interested
I stopped reading here.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Moving Day wrote:RE: Chicago schedule...
Who ARE these schools? Is El Paso the one north of Bloomington, IL? There is a LaGrange is Illinois, but I've never heard of a middle school there playing scholastic bowl of any type.
I see some schools that appear to be IL schools, such as Fairfield, Plano (?), North Boone, and El Paso(?), but they'd all be pretty small schools.... Maybe they attend this b/c they feel this gives them a shot (whereas HSNCT would be pretty hopeless)?
Plano and El Paso are almost certainly Texas; Fairfield is IL, they've gone for years. North Boone attending NAC would blow my freaking mind -- they don't even attend tournaments in Winnebago or Rockford. They barely get to .500 in Big Northern Conference play.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I agree with Brad. Also, it's Boone rather than North Boone, which makes it unlikely to be from Illinois. So, the only Illinois team is one that is five hours away.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Kanye West
Lulu

Post by Kanye West »

Why does this thread exist?
Ashu Udipi
Solon High School '10
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Would it be nuts to say that literally so few of the nation's competitive teams even participate in a Chip-written event per year that it would actually not really demonstrate an anti-Chip bias to remove this from the Nationals forum?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Kanye West
Lulu

Post by Kanye West »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Would it be nuts to say that literally so few of the nation's competitive teams even participate in a Chip-written event per year that it would actually not really demonstrate an anti-Chip bias to remove this from the Nationals forum?
Why does it matter to have an anti-Chip bias? The format and questions are unquestionably bad anyways.
Ashu Udipi
Solon High School '10
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Westwon wrote:I agree with Brad. Also, it's Boone rather than North Boone, which makes it unlikely to be from Illinois. So, the only Illinois team is one that is five hours away.
LaGrange, IL is right by Brookfield and the only high school in town is Lyons Township. It's a huge school.

EDIT: I don't think I'm supposed to care about this thread.
Last edited by Geringer on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Kanye West wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Would it be nuts to say that literally so few of the nation's competitive teams even participate in a Chip-written event per year that it would actually not really demonstrate an anti-Chip bias to remove this from the Nationals forum?
Why does it matter to have an anti-Chip bias? The format and questions are unquestionably bad anyways.
Charlie means that the forum is probably better off not appearing to have a de facto anti-Chip bias, but rather one that is arrived at via all the evidence being on the side of good quizbowl--it's a way to preemptively beat the bad argument of "you don't like x, so you're biased against x, so your opinion that you don't like x can't possibly be valid). But if sufficiently few teams do Chip tournaments, then there's a fine, independent reason not to have the thread in the Nationals forum.
Andrew Watkins
Kanye West
Lulu

Post by Kanye West »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Kanye West wrote:
Charlie means that the forum is probably better off not appearing to have a de facto anti-Chip bias, but rather one that is arrived at via all the evidence being on the side of good quizbowl--it's a way to preemptively beat the bad argument of "you don't like x, so you're biased against x, so your opinion that you don't like x can't possibly be valid). But if sufficiently few teams do Chip tournaments, then there's a fine, independent reason not to have the thread in the Nationals forum.
Oh, ok, that makes sense.
Ashu Udipi
Solon High School '10
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Zionsville (IN) won the New Orleans phase of the tournament, but not without some controversy.

Here is their writeup:

http://www.qunlimited.com/national.htm
Joe
James Island '10
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

scquizbowl wrote:Here is their writeup:

http://www.qunlimited.com/national.htm
Histrionics aside, it's kind of nice to have a detailed write-up of what happened. I realize that NAQT has a blog during the HSNCT, but a detailed, well-written retrospective afterwards might be a nice way to make the action real for those of us who can't attend, to say nothing of those coaches and students who are drawn to the NAC by its dramatic touches. Is it too late to fly Christian Flow to PACE?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Yes, who wouldn't want a writeup containing such gems as "they defeating Fort Morgan in their first playoff match, 400-255"?
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Yeah, I think I specified "well-written" as a criterion.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Kyle wrote: Histrionics aside, it's kind of nice to have a detailed write-up of what happened. I realize that NAQT has a blog during the HSNCT, but a detailed, well-written retrospective afterwards might be a nice way to make the action real for those of us who can't attend, to say nothing of those coaches and students who are drawn to the NAC by its dramatic touches. Is it too late to fly Christian Flow to PACE?
This isn't a bad idea at all. "Tournament Tradition" is basically the only area where the NAC has any pull anymore and it'd be nice for future generations to hear how things unfolded. Once the full stats get posted, I'll go back and write up some kind of well-written, CBFlow-esque recap using what I saw during the liveblog and combine that with the stats to develop a solid "storyline." I can't guarantee I'll be able to create another literary icon like Dallas though.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

You guys can't be serious. Chip's writeups read like bad wrestling storylines, and they're only really good for a chuckle. You don't want to emulate his example.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

A writeup is fine. Chip's is not.

Just for the record, the fact that Bayside is now considered one of the 8 best teams in America tells me all I need to know about :chip:
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

"White Plains netted 30, given the title of the Spanish edition of Hemingway books, and identifying the original English titles. Klein then netted 30 on COOKING 101."
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
New York Undercover
Wakka

Post by New York Undercover »

Cooking is important stuff, man
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

White Plains netted 30, given the title of the Spanish edition of Hemingway books, and identifying the original English titles. Klein then netted 30 on COOKING 101."
I actually thought this sentence was a joke until I looked at the link and saw it with my own eyes.
In 2008, Georgia engaged in an armed conflict with Russia and separatist groups from two Georgian republics. South Ossetia was one. What was the other?" (Ans. Abkhazia) Among the 20-pointers scored were two Russian-related questions: Mainland knew that the dish shashlyk consists of skewered meats, and Zionsville identified that dark witch of folklore, Baba Yaga. They scored the second bonus-round tossup, identifying Woody Guthrie after a list of his songs, then swept the EINSTEIN bonus and never looked back. They recognized Chopin after listening to a few notes of the Revolutionary Etude, and swept the ensuing CURRENT EVENTS bonus, including this 20-pointer: What natural substance does the Bloom Box use to create electricity? (Ans. Sand)
These sound "fun" and shockingly random too!
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Ice Warrior wrote:You guys can't be serious. Chip's writeups read like bad wrestling storylines, and they're only really good for a chuckle. You don't want to emulate his example.
Again, people seem to miss the part where I suggested that it actually be done well.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Ice Warrior wrote:You guys can't be serious. Chip's writeups read like bad wrestling storylines, and they're only really good for a chuckle. You don't want to emulate his example.
You should consult an expert before making such statements. I don't see anything about people being put through tables.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

The Granny wrote:
You should consult an expert before making such statements. I don't see anything about people being put through tables.
I might come to NAC if this happened.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The Granny wrote:
you are confusing "good wrestling storylines" with "bad" ones
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

Being from Indiana, I'll put in a plug for Zionsville as a pretty decent team. They not only beat but trounced teams in three Indiana tournaments this year, solidly beating both Culver Academies (HSNCT #57) and Penn (HSNCT #97). Both Phil Blessman and I were sure they would be good in the NAQT format, so we tried to get them to attend either the NAQT State Qualifier or the Midwest Championship, but with no success. (Their coach expressed interest, but the timing was not good for them.) I believe they would have made the top 50 (maybe 40) at HSNCT.

The Indianapolis-based league has always been big on NAC, which is why many of their teams end up there. Further, the success Zionsville is having this year, coupled with Harrison winning the entire tourney in '07, means it will be that much more difficult to persuade the state away from QU.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Ben Dillon wrote:They not only beat but trounced teams in three Indiana tournaments this year, solidly beating both Culver Academies (HSNCT #57) and Penn (HSNCT #97).
What kind of tournaments were these victories in?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Ice Warrior wrote:
The Granny wrote:
you are confusing "good wrestling storylines" with "bad" ones
ok fine where are the people beating each other with fluorescent light tubes?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I look forward to meeting you someday Fred and discussing my knowledge of pro wrestling with you. I always wondered if I got on "Stump the Schwab" back in the day if they'd let me pick "Mid 1990s Pro Wrestling" as my expert category. Wow, I'm a loser.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

Charbroil wrote:
Ben Dillon wrote:They not only beat but trounced teams in three Indiana tournaments this year, solidly beating both Culver Academies (HSNCT #57) and Penn (HSNCT #97).
What kind of tournaments were these victories in?
Tragically, they attended tournaments that would not be considered "good quiz bowl"... i.e. tourneys with QU-written packets. My estimation of their ability rests solely on my appraisal of their knowledge base demonstrated at those tourneys and their penchant for "powering" questions that have no power mark in them.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

We are now in town for the NAC tournament. Our first two JV games are at 6:00 and 6:45 tonight, with the second against John Cooper. On Saturday, we play at 11:20, 12:40, and 3:10, but then we don't play again until 7pm :roll:.

We are getting ready, but we haven't gone to the college yet.
Joe
James Island '10
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

scquizbowl wrote:We are now in town for the NAC tournament. Our first two JV games are at 6:00 and 6:45 tonight, with the second against John Cooper. On Saturday, we play at 11:20, 12:40, and 3:10, but then we don't play again until 7pm :roll:.

We are getting ready, but we haven't gone to the college yet.
In the interim you should try to catch a blender infomercial for some quick but effective studying.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15