DATE CHANGE: Sun n Fun at Maryland (Now 08/28/10)

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

DATE CHANGE: Sun n Fun at Maryland (Now 08/28/10)

Post by DumbJaques »

MAQT is pleased to announce that we will once again be hosting a mirror of this year's Sun n Fun, edited by the venerable Ahmad Ragab. Details of the event can be found at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9771. In particular, please note the packet/fee structure:
The Venerable Ahmad wrote:Teams not submitting a half-packet: $120
Teams submitting a half-packet before August 1st: $50
Teams submitting a packet before August 1st: $30
This tournament is half-packet submission; that is, if you would be required to write a packet (someone on your team has more than 2 years of collegiate experience), you only need to submit a half packet to Ahmad. If you submit a full packet before August 1st, well, hooray money (for you!) - everybody wins. You're also welcome to submit a full packet for the additional discount. I believe Ahmad did say that he might be open to allowing teams to play sans packet depending on what happens with submissions, so if that's a dealbreaker for you, I'd recommend getting in touch with him first.

See the distribution in Ahmad's post for a suggest half-packet distribution. Please note that if you wouldn't have to submit a packet per ACF guidelines, you don't have to submit anything (half or full) for this event.

I imagine the actual TD for this event will post the other details shortly (discounts, rooms, likelihood of rusty knives). I'm also interested in organizing side events for this weekend, either one on Saturday, a Saturday-Sunday split, or a side event-only short day Sunday. I know there are some events floating about around here that might happen at VCU or might happen the next weekend, so it would be ideal if those people could let us know what their plans are.

On the matter of side events, a (perhaps slightly more organized) rematch of our Africa Challenge tournament remains a possibility and if enough people sign up for it I'm open to impersonating the University of Malawi-Lilongwe Ghost Rats to see if we can obtain a full packet set. I also think there are some pretty amusing things in the secret stash if we end up wanting to do something like this (the designate bowl tournament at CO last year was certainly a blast).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Re: Sun n Fun XI Mirror (August 14th) at Maryland

Post by Whiter Hydra »

I'm going to be in town that weekend, I believe. Sign me up as a free agent.
Last edited by Whiter Hydra on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I would like to play this, but I need teammates willing to help me write a packet.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, so I've heard almost nothing definitive about this tournament from people - email me! Remember, while you really, really should submit a half-packet (it's just 12/12, guys!), you do not absolutely have to. I've heard rumors of like 5 different teams attending, but confirmation would be awesome.

Field:
Shantanu, Chris, et al
Evan Adams, Will Butler, Matt Bollinger, Sarah Angelo
Matt Weiner, Eric Mukherjee, Cody Voight, Aaron Rosenberg
Maryland House
Bruce Arthur, Rich Mason, Nefarious Other People (NOP)

Free Agents:
Harry White?
Ian Eppler?

What about other local people? VCU? UVA? Surely it's not possible to hold a Sun n Fun event without Doug Yetman appearing from the ether.

Also, I think we'll be trying to run Dallas's classics tournament as a side event, pending his approval.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

There will be a team of me, Will Butler, Matt Bollinger, and Sarah Angelo as long as the date isn't moved back.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

There will be a team of me, Will Butler, Matt Bollinger, and Sarah Angelo as long as the date isn't moved back.
Crap, forgot to mention that - this tournament ABSOLUTELY IS NOT BEING MOVED. We're all set to go ahead on the 14th, so no worries on that front (much thanks to Ahmad for accommodating).
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I will be playing this tournament with Cody Voight, Eric Mukherjee, and Aaron Rosenberg.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Due to MUSICAL THEATER, I will not be able to attend this. Sorry!

ninja edit: And neither the 21st or 28th work for me, so I'm fine with you guys rescheduling this for whenever works for most other people. Sorry again!
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

This date is actually probably going to be when I'm moving to my new dorm, so I might not be available.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

Hey Guys,
I'm actually not playing SunNFun. Sorry for the miscommunication.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

As long as this tournament remains on the 14th, I won't be able to make it. If it moves to a later date, perhaps.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

While the deadline for packets is fast approaching (under one hour by my clock), I will accept packets past the deadline if you are still working on them, but the sooner the better the tournament will be for everyone!
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

As long as this tournament remains on the 14th, I won't be able to make it. If it moves to a later date, perhaps.
I'm not sure if we'd even be able to do this from a logistical standpoint, but if the tournament were hypothetically moved two weeks later (the 28th), would that have a drastic impact on who's able to attend?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Jerry.

EDIT: For transparency's sake, I can't promise I'd make it if it were moved to the 28th, although it would be much more likely.
Last edited by The King's Flight to the Scots on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

DumbJaques wrote:
I'm not sure if we'd even be able to do this from a logistical standpoint, but if the tournament were hypothetically moved two weeks later (the 28th), would that have a drastic impact on who's able to attend?
If this tournament happened on either the 21st or the 28th, I would be able to make it.
Jerry Vinokurov
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

DumbJaques wrote:Crap, forgot to mention that - this tournament ABSOLUTELY IS NOT BEING MOVED. We're all set to go ahead on the 14th, so no worries on that front (much thanks to Ahmad for accommodating).
DumbJaques wrote:I'm not sure if we'd even be able to do this from a logistical standpoint, but if the tournament were hypothetically moved two weeks later (the 28th), would that have a drastic impact on who's able to attend?
Since I will have already played the tournament on the 14th that you have committed to providing in ALL CAPS, I will not be attending it if you run it again on the 28th.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Auron

I appear to be playing this with Rich Mason, and maybe other people
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Since I will have already played the tournament on the 14th that you have committed to providing in ALL CAPS, I will not be attending it if you run it again on the 28th.
Yeah, you're right, why simply inquire as to whether making a change would help several people without hurting anyone when such pivotal font issues are at play. Thanks Matt Weiner, you really saved us on that one!*

*If you actually have a conflict with the tournament being moved, well, that's why I asked the question. Personally, I would strongly prefer the event NOT be moved, but unless you're saying that an incidental typographical choice made to emphasize a point people were unclear about outweighs the desires of the entire field, I don't know where you're coming from.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

The 28th would probably be better for me, actually.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

No guarantees yet, but there is a nonzero chance I could make this if it's the 21st or 28th.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

I could potentially come to this if it was the 28th.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Here's a little anecdote. I'm not attending this, but a couple days ago, I almost decided on a whim to use cheap airfare to fly out and play this. So I almost bought plane tickets for the 14th. If the tournament got moved, that would have been disastrous and I would have been pretty angry. Angry cross posts back and forth between Chris and Matt aside, this tournament is rapidly approaching and some folks may have already bought hotels/transportation for the original date. It needs a date set now with a true assurance it would not be moved.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Here's a little anecdote. I'm not attending this, but a couple days ago, I almost decided on a whim to use cheap airfare to fly out and play this. So I almost bought plane tickets for the 14th. If the tournament got moved, that would have been disastrous and I would have been pretty angry. Angry cross posts back and forth between Chris and Matt aside, this tournament is rapidly approaching and some folks may have already bought hotels/transportation for the original date. It needs a date set now with a true assurance it would not be moved.
Uh, this tournament most certainly wouldn't have been moved if people had bought plane tickets and stuff dude, that's why I floated an hehypothetical query out there. Although I'd strongly recommend that nobody purchase airfare for an event with two teams attending it two weeks before it occurs without ever actually expressing any inkling to attend, you would never be in a position to be pretty angry because we certainly wouldn't leave you hanging like that.

As far as I know, the only person attending this event who'd potentially be staying in a hotel is Rich Mason, that's just a guess and people having booked hotels and whatnot is a serious issue - actually, it's exactly what I was looking to determine by my original post. Evan, I know you've said that your team could attend as long as the event wasn't pushed back (although evidently the opposite is true for Matt Bollinger? Sorry, I'm a bit confused about that) - does that mean the 28th would be prohibitive, or were you just referencing 21st weekend?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

When I posted my entire team could go on the 14th but would be down two players on the 21st. Now we're losing Matt Bollinger if it's held on the 14th, so we'd probably rather it be on the 28th.
Evan Adams
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I realize my example was sort of extreme, Chris, and I know you wouldn't screw me over like that. My point was, "I'm sure there are people, like me, who need to worry about travel, work, and lodging for this, so maybe it would be best to nail down a date quickly." Sorry for getting hypothetically mad, although I still think randomly showing up on a whim to tournaments is cool.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I think of heard form almost everyone who will be attending this tournament and the consensus really does appear to be to move it to the 28th. One team is still getting back to me, and Matt, I'm not sure what your situation is, but it sounds like at least some of your team prefers the later date as well. As mentioned, I prefer the earlier date personally, but it's making less and less sense and we really should get a definitive date locked in. I'd still like to hear from Matt W., Rich Mason, and Rutgers regarding your preferences.

Another consideration is that the 28th is move-in weekend for UMD - I don't think this would cause parking issues for our event since teams would be arriving early Saturday morning and just parking in the big Lot 1 area anyway, but it's something to weigh.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I don't even know who some of my team is, since I can't ask a fourth player to take Aaron's place until you decide when the tournament is happening. I would be more able to attend on the 14th and would like the tournament to be on that date. Almost as important as the particular date is that it is the month of August, you are holding a tournament in August, possibly in ten days, possibly not, please make up your mind right now as to when this is happening.
Matt Weiner
Maximus
Lulu

Post by Maximus »

Hey I would probably prefer the later date, since the 14th is just a week after VCU open and I'd prefer not to make two long drives two weekends in a row.
Richard Mason, Yale
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

So what's the word on this?
Jerry Vinokurov
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, it pretty much seems like there's a universal consensus to move this tournament back, so that's what we're doing. The UMD mirror of Sun n Fun is now rescheduled for Saturday, August 28th. I apologize for things changing up like this, but it seems to be to the benefit of pretty much everyone (and since I believe we were the earliest mirror site, presumably it's good for the tournament as well).
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

DumbJaques wrote:...I believe we were the earliest mirror site...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10165
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: DATE CHANGE: Sun n Fun at Maryland (Now 08/28/10)

Post by grapesmoker »

I am now looking for teammates for this. Contact me at [email protected] if you're interested in playing with me and helping write a half packet.
Jerry Vinokurov
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Tentative plans put me in DC that weekend - any chance you'd need staff? (I'll know for sure in a week or so).
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

Matt Weiner wrote:I don't even know who some of my team is, since I can't ask a fourth player to take Aaron's place until you decide when the tournament is happening. I would be more able to attend on the 14th and would like the tournament to be on that date. Almost as important as the particular date is that it is the month of August, you are holding a tournament in August, possibly in ten days, possibly not, please make up your mind right now as to when this is happening.
Now that this tournament is on the 28th, I can certainly make it. Matt, can I "re"-join your team?
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Can we get some sort of update on when this is starting and what building/room it's in?
Evan Adams
Batsteve
Lulu

Post by Batsteve »

The tournament will happen on Saturday the 28th in Jimenez hall, as close to 9:00 am as we can assemble the field. The meeting room will be the usual large lecture hall in the basement 0105, roughly to your right and down a staircase if you enter by the main entrance (the one flanked by books in strange tongues and the bust of the esteemed Mr. Jimenez).

The cost will be, as previously announced:
DumbJaques wrote:The Venerable Ahmad wrote:Teams not submitting a half-packet: $120
Teams submitting a half-packet before August 1st: $50
Teams submitting a packet before August 1st: $30
In addition to the aforementioned fees, there will be a $5 discount for each working buzzer system, and a $10 discount for each staffer you bring--email me at [email protected] if you want to claim the staffer discount.
SteveJon
Unaffiliated
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

What is the cost for teams who submitted a half-packet, but did not do so by the August 1 deadline?

Also, is there a field update beyond Chris's post upthread?
Matt Weiner
Auron

For those of us arriving by public transportation, what are the directions from the Green Line to Jimmenez hall?
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Morraine Man wrote:For those of us arriving by public transportation, what are the directions from the Green Line to Jimmenez hall?
Get off at the College Park station. Go through the tunnel to go out the entrance on the other side of the tracks (there is a post office on the left). Walk up Calvert street until you reach Route 1. Turn right on Route 1 (so that you're going north) and then turn left to cross Route 1 when you get to Regents Drive / College Ave. Walk up Regents Drive (which will put you on campus) until you see the mall on the left. Turn left and walk all the way up the mall to reach Jimenez Hall, which is to the right of McKinley Library.

If the buses are actually running you should take them (get off at the stop in front of the Stamp Student Union), but I'd be surprised if they were at that hour on a Saturday. It will be around a 30 minute walk to Jimenez from the metro station.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Two of my teammates have dropped out of this tournament. People looking for a team should get in touch with me.
Matt Weiner
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

For those of us arriving by public transportation, what are the directions from the Green Line to Jimmenez hall?
As mentioned, if the busses are running they're free and continuous. If not, you can shoot me an email and possibly I can just swing by the metro and pick you up Saturday morning.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Mark Pellegrini has joined my team. Aaron and I still have a spot, and I am interested in the status of people such as Phil Durkos and rumored new DC resident Evan Nagler for this event.
Matt Weiner
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Phil Durkos
If you can find Phil Durkos and bring either his body or spirit to Jimenez Hall, he can play for free.*

*Plus bail money.

EDIT: I'm really not sure what the current field is - I'll try to have one posted tomorrow evening after conferring with people who've been handling that stuff. I assume it's significantly different and includes everyone who said "I'll definitely come if it's on the 28th," but I'd like it if everyone attending and not in the field could post/email their confirmation.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I have no plans to show up to this event.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Maximus
Lulu

Post by Maximus »

Hey I actually can't come to this now because of a slight family emergency. Sorry about the late notification guys. Also, this leaves Jerry and Bruce without a third teammate.
Richard Mason, Yale
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

I want to remind the attendees (whomever they may be) that there MIGHT be a mirror on Sept. 4th at UIUC, so please do not mention any question specifics.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Results are up for this tournament at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings thanks to reigning MAQT stadtholder Paul Marchsteiner. We played a triple round robin, dropping the house team after the first set of games. Team "Shantanu got 30 powers" cleared the field.

We also played the very entertaining Classics tournament written by Dallas - we chose to play it as a shoot-out through all 8 rounds. Results:

Code: Select all

Name                         15          10           -5       Points

Matt Weiner                  11           18           10        295
Chris Ray                    15           10           14        255
Evan Adams                   6            13           5         195
Jerry Vinokurov              9            13           14        195
Jonathan Magin               9            6            8         155
Shantanu Jha                 10           2            11        115
Bruce Arthur                 3            5            5         70
Tommy Casalaspi              1            1            1         20 

Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
mpellegrini
Lulu

Post by mpellegrini »

Are the packets for this tournament posted anywhere?
Mark Pellegrini
University of Delaware (2001-Present)
Charter School of Wilmington (1997-2001)
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

mpellegrini wrote:Are the packets for this tournament posted anywhere?
Here
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne